The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 166 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

Are there any major improvement between last year's models and this year's models? I see the differences listed in this thread, but I'm a bit more interested in sound quality and reliability instead of just features. As somebody who's Onkyo died an unexpected death and needs a cheap but quality replacement, would I be okay buying last year's model?

Yup .. sound quality should be the same.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl333 View Post

Here’s my set-up.

Roku or Apple TV HDMI out to Denon Media player in
Denon HDMI ARC out to TV HDMI ARC in

With above configuration, Denon manual page 8 says to use a Standard HDMI cable with Ethernet or High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet. from the TV to the Denon or Denon to the TV
Now I have read 2 pieces of information I found on the net by reading about ARC which I was nor familiar with.

1-“However, with ARC- Audio Return Channel, you can simply take advantage of the HDMI you already have connected between the TV and the home theater receiver to transfer audio in both directions.” My question, does that imply that any HDMI cable will do?

2-“Although ARC has its purpose it was not intended for those using a surround sound system. The TC-P50GT30 does have a Digital Audio out and if one was determined to have the HDMI's connected directly to the TV then that is what needs to be used to audio out to the AV receiver. I get a lot of clients that think that hooking the HDMI's directly to the TV is better than going through the AV receiver and it is not true with a GOOD AV receiver.” Not intended for Surround sound use? Now, I’m confused. Denon says it ok.

So should use the ARC feature of the TV be used to return audio from the Roku/Apple TV or use the coaxial output from the TV to the 2113? Can you explain why so I understand all this.

Newbie here

1. Yup. The manual is misleading in this respect as any "high speed" HDMI cable can be used (ie. don't pay the extra money on a cable with ethernet capability as this feature has not been implemented on any current model AVR Denon or otherwise).
2. Of course it's intended for surround sound use. The limitation however, is that the HDMI(ARC) audio from the TV is limited to only stereo 2.0 audio on many TVs while using the optical audio out can pass DD 5.1 in some cases.
3. If your Roku and Apple TV are connected to the AVR as you indicate, then ARC audio does not come into play.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4953 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did some searches but didn't find any posts. Is it possible to remove the large white sticker on the right side of the front panel that lists some of the units features? Does it leave a sticky residue? Will something like "Goo-Gone" work without damaging it?

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #4954 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post

Did some searches but didn't find any posts. Is it possible to remove the large white sticker on the right side of the front panel that lists some of the units features? Does it leave a sticky residue? Will something like "Goo-Gone" work without damaging it?

Yes. No. Not needed (see previous answer).

post #4955 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Here’s my set-up.

Roku or Apple TV HDMI out to Denon Media player in
Denon HDMI ARC out to TV HDMI ARC in

With above configuration, Denon manual page 8 says to use a Standard HDMI cable with Ethernet or High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet. from the TV to the Denon or Denon to the TV
Now I have read 2 pieces of information I found on the net by reading about ARC which I was nor familiar with.

1-“However, with ARC- Audio Return Channel, you can simply take advantage of the HDMI you already have connected between the TV and the home theater receiver to transfer audio in both directions.” My question, does that imply that any HDMI cable will do?

2-“Although ARC has its purpose it was not intended for those using a surround sound system. The TC-P50GT30 does have a Digital Audio out and if one was determined to have the HDMI's connected directly to the TV then that is what needs to be used to audio out to the AV receiver. I get a lot of clients that think that hooking the HDMI's directly to the TV is better than going through the AV receiver and it is not true with a GOOD AV receiver.” Not intended for Surround sound use? Now, I’m confused. Denon says it ok.

So should use the ARC feature of the TV be used to return audio from the Roku/Apple TV or use the coaxial output from the TV to the 2113? Can you explain why so I understand all this.

Newbie here

1. Yup. The manual is misleading in this respect as any "high speed" HDMI cable can be used (ie. don't pay the extra money on a cable with ethernet capability as this feature has not been implemented on any current model AVR Denon or otherwise).
2. Of course it's intended for surround sound use. The limitation however, is that the HDMI(ARC) audio from the TV is limited to only stereo 2.0 audio on many TVs while using the optical audio out can pass DD 5.1 in some cases.
3. If your Roku and Apple TV are connected to the AVR as you indicate, then ARC audio does not come into play.

Tks JD, your awsome. cabling and interfacing all my components is not my strength.

Damn. I just ordered a high speed HDMI cable with ethernet from Mono. Are you saying that I should not use it? My TV is also 3D (new purchase) and maybe I should be using a H S cable and maybe my purchase is not a waste afterall?

Montreal
post #4956 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
An HDMI cable with Ethernet works fine with systems which don't have that feature. It just includes additional wires connecting existing pins that the equipment doesn't use. Using a high-speed cable is highly desirable for 3D, since long standard-speed cables often have difficulty transporting the higher bitrates used by 3D signals.

Selden
post #4957 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw33mn View Post

Help needed! We have had the 2113ci for 5 months now and have never had a single issue with it. Last night, while watching a movie, the receiver started turning off and the green light started blinking red (both in .5 second and 2 second intervals). Upon reading online we moved the receiver so it was in the open to make sure it cooled down, and turned down the volume on the movie. So far so good, until today.

We were listening to music today and the receiver turned off again, only this time it will NOT turn back on, it goes right to the fast blinking red light. We've checked the speaker wires in the back and they appear to not be touching any other posts. Any other thoughts as to what it could be? Any way we could reset the receiver and see what happens? We unplugged it about 15 minutes ago and will see what happens when we do that.

OK, just going back with updates from my post from yesterday. I've unplugged everything from the back - all speaker wire and components, and have done both a microprocessor reset and network reset since doing that. The receiver still will not stay on, I'll turn it on, and within a couple seconds it will shut off, and I get the fast blinking red light. At this point am I to assume this is a bad unit and send it back under warranty? Is there anything additional I can consider doing?
post #4958 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Damn. I just ordered a high speed HDMI cable with ethernet from Mono. Are you saying that I should not use it? My TV is also 3D (new purchase) and maybe I should be using a H S cable and maybe my purchase is not a waste afterall?

Not wasted at all, rather just paid a dollar or two more for it, and a "high speed" cable is required for 1080p video regardless of whether 2D or 3D.

post #4959 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not wasted at all, rather just paid a dollar or two more for it, and a "high speed" cable is required for 1080p video regardless of whether 2D or 3D.

I feel better now, but now I have another concern. i have so many conponents going to my 2113. I now fear some of these cables may not be high speed as they were acquired from different sources, different times... Everything is working. I think I'm going to change all my HDMI cabling to known high speed cables just in case.

Montreal
post #4960 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not to sounds like a noob, but is the best to run everything through the AVR. For example, if i have a Comcast HD player, Blu Ray and anything else to have that run to the AVR and have one HDMI to the TV?
post #4961 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

I spent the weekend scouring the Audyssey 101/FAQ/Setup Guide. After much trial and tribulation, I finally figured out how to get Audyssey to read my sub at under -3. I got it to -1.5, but my bass on music and some movie clips was very low. I realized from the Audyssey 101/FAQ/Setup Guide, that you need to turn the volume up to reference level. I must admit, the imaging and surround balance is excellent especially listening to the Chris Botti Concert. Here are my questions.

1. What would reference volume be on a 1613. I've had it set at 68 to 72, but I'm not sure if that is the right level.

2. Do most Denon owners keep their sub at the Audyssey level or do you like a little hotter?

3. If you do turn your sub up, the Audyssey guide says to turn it up through the AVR, how much do you turn your sub up?

Also, try playing with the Reference Level Offset in the Audyssey menu (0,5,10,15). The less the offset, the louder your subs (and surrounds) will be.

FYI, for Blu Rays, I typically listen around -15 to -10db with a reference offset of 15.
post #4962 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

Not to sounds like a noob, but is the best to run everything through the AVR. For example, if i have a Comcast HD player, Blu Ray and anything else to have that run to the AVR and have one HDMI to the TV?

That's the best way to do it, with one caveat - a lot of cable boxes have HDMI handshake issues. If you experience video or audio dropouts often with your cable box running through the AVR you may want to connect it directly to the TV with the optical audio running to the AVR.
post #4963 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

In theory yes, however, cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues requiring them to be connected directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR.

post #4964 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I feel better now, but now I have another concern. i have so many conponents going to my 2113. I now fear some of these cables may not be high speed as they were acquired from different sources, different times... Everything is working. I think I'm going to change all my HDMI cabling to known high speed cables just in case.

I wouldn't. Regardless of whether the cable is actually rated as "high speed" or not, if it's working correctly and passing the video resolution (1080p or otherwise) to the AVR with no issue, there's no reason to replace it. Note also that some cables rated as "Standard speed" may still pass 1080p video. smile.gif

post #4965 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

Quote:

If you don't see "sparklies" in the video or dropouts in either video or audio, then there's no need to replace your cables. HDMI is digital, so when there are problems, they usually are quite obvious.

edited to add: As usual, JD is just too fast for the rest of us wink.gif

Selden
post #4966 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

That's the best way to do it, with one caveat - a lot of cable boxes have HDMI handshake issues. If you experience video or audio dropouts often with your cable box running through the AVR you may want to connect it directly to the TV with the optical audio running to the AVR.

Quote:

In theory yes, however, cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues requiring them to be connected directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR.

Thank you both, that helps a ton. I guess it will be a roll of the dice when I get my new HT setup. If not, thanks for the heads up on the optical audio problem. That approach makes sense
post #4967 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

If you don't see "sparklies" in the video or dropouts in either video or audio, then there's no need to replace your cables. HDMI is digital, so when there are problems, they usually are quite obvious.

edited to add: As usual, JD is just too fast for the rest of us wink.gif

+1 smile.gif

post #4968 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM

Admitted Noob here. I am looking for some guidance with Airplay and media stream from PC to receiver. I have yet to get either set up or working.

Setup:
Comcast modem/wireless router is set up in bridge mode. The comcast router back feeds a wired ethernet connection into a old Dlink wireless router (WAN in). From there one of the 4 available wired ethernet ports feeds the back of the Denon receiver. The Denon finds the wired internet connection as Pandora internet radio is working great. My PC, iphone and ipad have confirmed working wifi connections. I do not have any PC connected to the router with an ethernet.

Home Media Connect: Are my wired/ wireless connections not letting the devices see each other, is my wireless access point set up not adequate, is a true "network" setup required?

Airplay: I am wondering if my Airplay issues are due to outdated IOS or Denon Firmware. Denon ran an update the other day when I first got it plugged in. Itunes is version 10+ and I don't see an airplay icon anywhere.

Any advice/direction to odeer posts/threads is much appreciated. THX

Samsung UN55ES7100
HR34
Denon 1913
post #4969 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM

AVR-1913, HDMI control, Apple TV and firmware update

I purchased an AVR-1913 in Austin, Texas two days ago. When I powered it on, I was notified a firmware update was available, but I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to get started with installation, so I deferred. I enabled HDMI control so that the Sony TV would switch the AVR on and off as it was switched on and off since my DirecTV audio is handled by the AVR. All went well until I tried to use my Apple TV. When selected, I would have a short screen of video on my Sony TV and a short burst of audio, then nothing - no video and no audio. The Apple TV worked fine directly connected to any of the Sony TV HDMI inputs, but it would not work through the AVR-1913 on the GAME, MEDIA, DVD or AUX HDMI inputs. I've had some other funny things happen with HDMI control, so I turned it off, and then the Apple TV signals were recognized and processed by the AVR correctly. Finallly I did the firmware update, re-enabled HDMI control, and now the Apple TV still works. I don't know what this means, if anything, but I share it in case it helps someone else.

The AVR replaced a Yamaha RX-V730. That receiver/amplifier is great, but it does not switch HDMI, so I had to switch video inputs at the Sony TV and audio on the RX-V730, and that was getting to be a pain with DirecTV, BlueRay, Apple TV and a PS3. I've had a lot of Yamaha equipment, and it was just time for a change. So far, the AVR does the job well.
post #4970 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobones View Post

Admitted Noob here. I am looking for some guidance with Airplay and media stream from PC to receiver. I have yet to get either set up or working.

Setup:
Comcast modem/wireless router is set up in bridge mode. The comcast router back feeds a wired ethernet connection into a old Dlink wireless router (WAN in). From there one of the 4 available wired ethernet ports feeds the back of the Denon receiver. The Denon finds the wired internet connection as Pandora internet radio is working great. My PC, iphone and ipad have confirmed working wifi connections. I do not have any PC connected to the router with an ethernet.

Home Media Connect: Are my wired/ wireless connections not letting the devices see each other, is my wireless access point set up not adequate, is a true "network" setup required?

Airplay: I am wondering if my Airplay issues are due to outdated IOS or Denon Firmware. Denon ran an update the other day when I first got it plugged in. Itunes is version 10+ and I don't see an airplay icon anywhere.

Any advice/direction to odeer posts/threads is much appreciated. THX

Samsung UN55ES7100
HR34
Denon 1913

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread#user_L1

post #4971 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Setup:

So you have two wireless networks - the Comcast and the Dlink. Why? To which one do your PC, etc., wirelessly connect?
post #4972 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM

Was wondering if anyone is using Spotify w/ a Denon 1613 or knows if the 1613 is compatible? I know there is an official list of AVR's that are compatible w/ Spotify and the 1613 isn't one of them, but just wanted to make sure. I am currently a free Spotify user, but would become premium if I could use it via my receiver. I'd much rather use Spotify instead of Pandora and Airplay, which I currently use.

Thanks
post #4973 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
585-645-1006

If you are referring to the on board Spotify, it was only added via firmware update to the 1913 and higher models, although you should be able to use the Spotify smart phone app to stream it to the AVR.

post #4974 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM

I don't own a smart phone unfortunately. Is it possible to download an app to my Windows laptop and stream it to the AVR?
post #4975 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM
585-645-1006

You can make a wired connection from the laptop to the AVR or try the following ...

http://ludwigstuyck.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/streaming-spotify-to-dlna-device-over-network/

post #4976 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:

You can make a wired connection from the laptop to the AVR or try the following ...

http://ludwigstuyck.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/streaming-spotify-to-dlna-device-over-network/

Thanks jd, I will read the article and give it a try. When you mentioned a wired connection from the laptop to the AVR, do you mean just use an HDMI cable from the laptop to the receiver?
post #4977 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvoracek View Post

So you have two wireless networks - the Comcast and the Dlink. Why? To which one do your PC, etc., wirelessly connect?

Well kindof.. The new house came pre wired with ethernet. The comcast router upstairs has a single port which feeds to a panel/hub in the basement. The Comcast guy said I would be better off connecting another router there with multiple ports to feed the house (Than the alternative of a slower switch?) So basically the Dlink is the wired feed; AND I only connect wirelessly directly to the Comcast Router.
post #4978 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpolack View Post

Well kindof.. The new house came pre wired with ethernet. The comcast router upstairs has a single port which feeds to a panel/hub in the basement. The Comcast guy said I would be better off connecting another router there with multiple ports to feed the house (Than the alternative of a slower switch?) So basically the Dlink is the wired feed; AND I only connect wirelessly directly to the Comcast Router.

And reading within media player:
... Your devices must be on the same subnet as your computer. Most home networks consist of a single subnet. However, if you have multiple routers attached to your home network, you probably have multiple subnets. If you have multiple routers in your home and you have trouble sharing your media to certain devices, try connecting those devices to the same router that your computer is connected to..

So its sounding like the multiple routers may be causing an issue. Might a switch be the better/easier alternative?
post #4979 of 10614 Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
The comcast router upstairs has a single port which feeds to a panel/hub in the basement. The Comcast guy said I would be better off connecting another router there with multiple ports to feed the house (Than the alternative of a slower switch?)
If I am reading this correctly, the Comcast guy has no clue. A single port router is just that, a router. A router with multiple ports is a router and a switch built into one. Most home networks run C class private addresses ie: 192.168.xxx.xxx. These addresses are not meant to to be routed, some routers will and some routers won't work with private addressing, and if yours will work with private addressing you need to set up a routing table. Dump the second router, install a 10/100/1000 switch and speed won't be the issue. If what you have downstairs is a true "hub" that can cause speed issues.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #4980 of 10614 Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenNYC View Post

Thanks jd, I will read the article and give it a try. When you mentioned a wired connection from the laptop to the AVR, do you mean just use an HDMI cable from the laptop to the receiver?

Yes.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page