The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 181 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5401 of 10697 Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got my 2113ci and I have it set up with the Directv hdmi plugged into the receiver and the hdmi output to my Vizio. What I want to know is, can I watch tv without the receiver on? When I turn the receiver off, the picture goes off too. I've never had a receiver like this before so I'm unsure. Thanks.

mto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 10697 Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Incollingo View Post

I'm having buyers remorse. I just ordered a 3313 but am I taking a step backwards from my current 4306? I would love a new 4520 but it's just not in my price range. Thoughts?

Jerry

If you want a significant upgrade check out page 1 of this forum and look for the comparisons of the 3313 vs 4311. The 4311 is also heavily discounted.
post #5403 of 10697 Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Can your AVR "breathe", or do you have it in an enclosed cabinet? Could be overheating.

Also, you say the speaker wiring "remains unchanged", did you disconnect and reconnect all of them?

The 2113 is in a cabinet, but within its own space with a good amount of breathing room. I haven't tried reconnecting all speakers... I'll give it a shot, even though nothing has changed to compromise the situation.

I am wondering if maybe it was just the content like the previous comment mentioned.... Wondering if maybe the lower quality through a DVR vs a Blu ray player could compromise higher levels to warrant a power down by the AVR??
post #5404 of 10697 Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneill View Post

Hi, I just got my 2113ci and I have it set up with the Directv hdmi plugged into the receiver and the hdmi output to my Vizio. What I want to know is, can I watch tv without the receiver on? When I turn the receiver off, the picture goes off too. I've never had a receiver like this before so I'm unsure. Thanks.

mto

Yes you can.
Go to Hdmi setup make sure Hdmi Control is set to On, and the Standby Source is set to the Hdmi input you want to watch when avr is off.
post #5405 of 10697 Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I don't think you should be connecting the Denon straight to the AE, its not a router or switch per say, its more of an access point. I think you need to connect your Denon to your main router (modem) if possible, or you need to setup a switch with a connection to your router/modem.

The airport extreme is not meant to be used as a router, and it sounds like thats how you're trying to use it. The AE is supposed to be connected to your router/modem via the WAN port, thats it. Then it has connection to the internet and serves up as a wireless network or access point. It has a second port, or LAN port on it to connect a network printer etc, but I don't think hooking up the Denon there would work. The Drobo might, but not sure the Denon is meant to be used on that port and function as you want it to. This might be where your issue is. Connecting the Denon to the modem/router or a switch that is connected to the modem/router might give better results.

If you can, hook the Denon up to your router/modem, if you have open ports. If not, you'll need to maybe do what I did, I have a cable from my modem that connects to an 8 port switch, that switch alone acts like a traffic manager for all the devices connected to it. So the internet is fed to it from that cable coming from the modem, switch has 7 ports now all with internet connectivity. That is where I hooked up my Denon, and also my airport extreme. So the AE has internet and serves up a wireless network, and then all my other devices can be plugged into that same switch (6 now after modem and AE are plugged in), so I plugged in my Denon, my Samsung TV, my AppleTV, my BluRay and my XBox. All have internet coming from that switch.

The AE is certainly a router but needs to be set up properly if it is attached to another router. There are plenty of articles and forums that cover this scenario but the things to consider include the following -
1) avoiding "double NAT" (where both routers insist on doing NAT work which can slow a system down considerably)
2) consider the AE to work in bridge mode (Modem router will be the boss and allocate to the AE)
3) create a network on the modem router and have the AE join it
4) use static IPs when possible OR reserved dynamic IPs
5) consider turning off wireless on the modem router, run exactly one cable out to the AE and let the AE do everything. A switch can be added to the AE to gain more ports for ethernet while the AE does all the wireless work. (If possible get a static IP from the modem router for the AE and then set up the network entirely from the AE)

It is always a problem using unlike routers together as there is often no real explanation why things go awry. The above are just things to consider to get on track with a modem router and Airport Extreme. While I do use AE's I also have other routers that at one time or another sat between the internet modem and the AE's. (Some other routers offer superior control and services for security).
Qualky likes this.
post #5406 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

The AE is certainly a router but needs to be set up properly if it is attached to another router. There are plenty of articles and forums that cover this scenario but the things to consider include the following -
1) avoiding "double NAT" (where both routers insist on doing NAT work which can slow a system down considerably)
2) consider the AE to work in bridge mode (Modem router will be the boss and allocate to the AE)
3) create a network on the modem router and have the AE join it
4) use static IPs when possible OR reserved dynamic IPs
5) consider turning off wireless on the modem router, run exactly one cable out to the AE and let the AE do everything. A switch can be added to the AE to gain more ports for ethernet while the AE does all the wireless work. (If possible get a static IP from the modem router for the AE and then set up the network entirely from the AE)

It is always a problem using unlike routers together as there is often no real explanation why things go awry. The above are just things to consider to get on track with a modem router and Airport Extreme. While I do use AE's I also have other routers that at one time or another sat between the internet modem and the AE's. (Some other routers offer superior control and services for security).

Thanks for this reply!

1) what do I have to do to assure my AE isn't doing that?
2) is this done by unchecking the "Enable ipv6 connection sharing" box in osx lion, airport utility > AE > edit > Internet tab > internet options?
3) check
4) how is this done on the avr? Do i just manually chose an address in the setup menu?
5) that's a good idea. I might do that when i live on my own, but for now it's impossible. I live in my parents house, our pc downstairs is connected to the modem with a cable (doesn't have wifi), and another cable runs straight up into my room. Although we have wifi from the main modem, my denon and our country's equivalent of TIVo both need that cable in my room.

I might have overlooked something here - is there a device i can buy that i can plug into the ethernet port of my denon avr, that makes it able to connect to the wireless network? I think pioneer have something like that.

cheers
post #5407 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
There is no USB wifi adapter that can be used; however, you can to use another router than can be set to "bridge" mode such as those suggested in the following post ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/1000_100#post_22219147

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5408 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 AM

I've been trying out the Netgear power line adapter for a couple of months now and it's working well in my house. 1 adapter plugs into
outlet at the router location with ethernet cable to router. Next adapter plugs in at the HT setup and has a 4 port switch. I have
separate ethernet cables running to the 2313ci, OPPO BDP-103, Samsung 63C8000. All are getting a good strong internet
connection. I have done firmware upgrades on all 3 units with no problems.

I added another 4 port to the master bedroom and connected the TV and Bluray back there. All are working well. I streamed a movie from
Vudu recently in 1080p with no issues.

I understand your house wiring and different locations can impact performance so your mileage can vary.
post #5409 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 13
3313 2ch setup question.

I go into setup>speakers>manual setup>2ch playback

Settings are as follows.

Setting Manual
Front Small
Subwoofer Yes
Crossover 80Hz
Distance FL 28.2
Distance FR 28.2
Level FL 0
Level FR 0

The question involves the Distance settings, I only have the choice of 28.2 or 53 ft. If I change the FL to 53 the FR changes to 33.Then if I go back to 28.2 on the FL the FR changes to 48.2.
The same thing happens if I try to change the FR.

The distances are about 13.5. How does one get these set to the correct values?

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #5410 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM
585-645-1006

Sounds like an issue with the unit as you should be able to set the specific distance, although the AVR will likely limit the distance difference between the two speakers to a max of 20'. Try unplugging it for a few minutes.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5411 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 42
**PRICE ALERT**

Denon 1913 329.99 at Frys! That is $250 off!

Does anyone know if there is a reason for this???? Are 1913s having issues?
post #5412 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post

I've been trying out the Netgear power line adapter for a couple of months now and it's working well in my house. 1 adapter plugs into
outlet at the router location with ethernet cable to router. Next adapter plugs in at the HT setup and has a 4 port switch. I have
separate ethernet cables running to the 2313ci, OPPO BDP-103, Samsung 63C8000. All are getting a good strong internet
connection. I have done firmware upgrades on all 3 units with no problems.

I added another 4 port to the master bedroom and connected the TV and Bluray back there. All are working well. I streamed a movie from
Vudu recently in 1080p with no issues.

I understand your house wiring and different locations can impact performance so your mileage can vary.

Thanks Dan. Can you provide the Netgear model/kit # you're using for reference?

post #5413 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwhat View Post

**PRICE ALERT**

The 1914 is due out in just a few months. wink.gif

post #5414 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualky View Post

I might have overlooked something here - is there a device i can buy that i can plug into the ethernet port of my denon avr, that makes it able to connect to the wireless network? I think pioneer have something like that.

I recently bought the 3313 and used an Airport Express to connect to my wifi and it's working great so far. It took me a while to figure out how to get it setup (Apparently, I had to change my security from WEP to WPA), but now it seems to be working right. Internet radio works great, but Airplay for some reason (both direct and through my Apple TV) seems to go weird on audio through my iPhone... Video works great, I have been streaming TV shows from my Mac to my Apple TV with no problems but with my iPhone, the audio randomly becomes garbled... Still trying to figure out that problem, but I am pretty sure that's my phone and not the receiver...

There can be only one!
post #5415 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 1914 is due out in just a few months. wink.gif

Do you have any idea if the '14 models will feature anything new or special? I would like to jump on this deal now but if it is worth waiting I would.
post #5416 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM
585-645-1006

Sorry .. no information will likely be released by Denon until late April.

post #5417 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

**PRICE ALERT**

Why am I am not seeing this on their site?
post #5418 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Sounds like an issue with the unit as you should be able to set the specific distance, although the AVR will likely limit the distance difference between the two speakers to a max of 20'. Try unplugging it for a few minutes.

I tried that and it didn't work. I found if I set the subwoofer to off I could change the distance to the correct distance, which I did. After setting the subwoofer back to yes, the distance remained at the proper setting.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #5419 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC507JC View Post

Why am I am not seeing this on their site?

Sorry...should have made more clear.

You can only buy in store at that price. The ad is located on their website. I had BB call and match price so that it could be shipped to me smile.gif

BB says that you have to be located within 25 miles of the frys store...and they call to verify they have them in stock.
post #5420 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a really good deal.
post #5421 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Do you have any idea if the '14 models will feature anything new or special? I would like to jump on this deal now but if it is worth waiting I would.

If the features of the 1913 meet your needs, I say jump on it.

post #5422 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why does Fry's only do these sales in store only? I don't have one anywhere close to me...
post #5423 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

**PRICE ALERT**

Do you know if the 1713 is also on sale?
post #5424 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

The AE is certainly a router but needs to be set up properly if it is attached to another router.

Just be perfectly clear, though, it is a wireless router, but only has 1 in 1 out for ethernet cable. If, like me, you have 3 computers in the house bound by ethernet and then some wireless machines, you'd need to go with either a regular 4 port combined with the AE, or just a combo router. You probably knew that, but others reading may not pick up on that.
post #5425 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

I tried that and it didn't work. I found if I set the subwoofer to off I could change the distance to the correct distance, which I did. After setting the subwoofer back to yes, the distance remained at the proper setting.

Strange behavior but as long as it worked, great. smile.gif

post #5426 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a 1713 and love it, but have had a few issues. Are these things I should worry about I.e. signs of bigger issues:

1. When I turn on my Xbox via hdmi it the first 5 seconds of image has horizontal bands of black through the image, then it blinks out and comes on perfect.

2. Yesterday the right front speaker started pulsing very slow, like around 1 hz I pulled the screen off and watched. It was only that speaker. Lowering the volume dd nothing. I turned off the AVR and turned it back on and things were fine.

3. I had it get stuck on DVD and no buttons on the front panel, remote, or via wifi would get it to switch inputs. Turning it off did nothing. I had to physically unplug it and plug it back in to make it work again.

Are these normal annoyances? My last reciever was pre-hdmi and networking. It just worked.
post #5427 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

I have a 1713 and love it, but have had a few issues. Are these things I should worry about I.e. signs of bigger issues:

1. When I turn on my Xbox via hdmi it the first 5 seconds of image has horizontal bands of black through the image, then it blinks out and comes on perfect.

2. Yesterday the right front speaker started pulsing very slow, like around 1 hz I pulled the screen off and watched. It was only that speaker. Lowering the volume dd nothing. I turned off the AVR and turned it back on and things were fine.

3. I had it get stuck on DVD and no buttons on the front panel, remote, or via wifi would get it to switch inputs. Turning it off did nothing. I had to physically unplug it and plug it back in to make it work again.

Are these normal annoyances? My last reciever was pre-hdmi and networking. It just worked.

I bought a 1613 over the holidays. And I had something similar to your 3 happen to me twice (I posted about it earlier in this thread). So I called Denon support and told them and the guy told me two words "exchange it" and then "don't take the risk". Then Amazon exchanged mine because it was defective, they even gave me next day delivery on the replacement for free.

Given that you also had 1 and 2 happen. If you are still within the exchange window I would do it.
post #5428 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

If you're still within your return period you may want to consider doing so. That said, the first issue can possibly be explained by a bad cable so replace it. The second might be a defective speaker. The third by the processor getting hung up which can happen from time to time (just as with a PC processor). If any occur again, I would reset the microprocessor (see post #5) and if the issues still present, exchange it.

post #5429 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ProfD and jdsmoothie -

Thanks for the replies. I have used two different cables on the Xbox, both did the same thing. I may try a different input and see if it continues. The black banding only happens whe I first start everything, like everything is trying decide what resolution everything should be.
post #5430 of 10697 Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post

Do you know if the 1713 is also on sale?

No I originally wanted the 1713 myself. Only 1913 is a deal right now.

I'm guessing this is because they have not sold many since it makes more sense to spend a few more and get the 2113.

Probably have a surplus of 1913s!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page