The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for responding, the front panel said STEREO. I have run Auto Setup/Audyssey. I just have the pair of JBL's. Sounds like I'll have to adjust the PS3, was reading a bit more and seems like a common issue with PS3's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Also make sure Dyn Vol is disabled if you are trying to assess system volume.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I wouldn't say it's TOTALLY useless. I bet there will be a market for people who want to use that HDMI Zone 2 output (e.g. allowing them to a TV in an adjacent bedroom without having to buy a second Blu-ray player).

Of course you're correct, I was just frustrated. smile.gif I'm still trying to figure out the best way of dealing with my setup, though, and everything I look up comes so frustratingly close to perfect but never quite there.

Right now, I've got the output of my old 888 going through a monoprice splitter and then servicing the TV in my living room and bedroom. The bedroom is wired up with a pair of speakers in a 2.0 configuration that's wired back to zone 2 (along with a set of speakers in the bathroom). Anyhow, to make it work I have the harmony setup to fire up the main zone, select the video source and mute the main zone speakers, and at the same time select the same input on zone 2. Of course, this means that I have the analog audio outputs run from all the gear to the receiver as well, to support zone 2. Where this falls down is the inputs from my HTPC (running XBMC) and the ATV2, which realistically can't do simultaneous digital and analog audio output. For the ATV2, I've got a cheapie TOSLINK->Analog DAC which does the trick, and I can keep using that I suppose. I was just really wishing there was a way to tame the rat's nest of cables in my media closet.
Quote:
well, the same is true for the lower level models which had networking and didn't allow 2.0 PCM from optical/coax to Zone 2. There must be something else required internally to implement the optical/coax functionality that adds to Denon's cost, or else they would do it for all the models. It's clear that they achieved some cost savings by slashing this feature, otherwise why would they have done so?

True enough, though I smell this being more of a market segmentation thing than a cost reduction effort.
post #544 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I smell this being more of a market segmentation thing than a cost reduction effort.

I honestly doubt it. Zone 2 is already a rarely used feature, and the 99% of users wouldn't have a clue about the various limitations of multizone if they didn't read about it on this forum or my website. I highly, highly doubt the 2.0 PCM from optical/coax to zone 2/3 ability is moving the sales needle. To me the converse is more plausible -- it *doesn't* move the needle, meaning Denon can chop without fear of taking a sales hit (especially when they can advertise "HDMI Zone 2!").

frankly, it's a pretty "niche" feature with limited application in the vast majority of setups. The fact that Apple TV dropped the analog audio outputs gives it more use in the consumer space, but in 99% of zone 2 applications it's just as convenient to run a second analog cable as opposed to a second optical or coax cable (doubling up on the HDMI connection already present).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #545 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

BTW - I'm not 100% sure of the specifics of your setup but it does sound like the 3313 would do what you want (using HDMI Zone 2) if you simply repurposed the 888 as the HDMI sink in the bedroom.

e.g., feed all sources to AVR 3313 in main zone via HDMI, pipe HDMI Zone 2 output to AVR 888 in Zone 2.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #546 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:

BTW - I'm not 100% sure of the specifics of your setup but it does sound like the 3313 would do what you want (using HDMI Zone 2) if you simply repurposed the 888 as the HDMI sink in the bedroom.
e.g., feed all sources to AVR 3313 in main zone via HDMI, pipe HDMI Zone 2 output to AVR 888 in Zone 2.

The hard part with that is separating the control between the two receivers. As JD said, the 888 does support different IR codes, but I've thus far been unable to work out what they would be based on the available AVR-888 IR codes document. Maybe I just need to build myself an IR blaster and start playing. :P
post #547 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Ah .. okay now I understand what you're trying to do. Note however, that with your proposed configuration (rather than connecting the Zone 2 HDMI out cable directly to the sub) you'll still be limited to only passing PCM 2.0 to the Zone 2 TV.

Yes, thanks -- I already edited my post with correction that 3313CI Zone2 HDMI out would indeed need to go to the soundbar+sub, and not directly to the TV. I would still attempt to use ARC link from sub to TV, to get volume control using regular TV remote.
post #548 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brschmid View Post

I was reading through the manual for my 1913, and it says for video passed through the GAME port, it automatically adjusts picture settings for games. it says something along those lines for other ports as well, anyone know exactly how it adjusts?

The reference is to the "Video Mode" setting (p. 106) which attempts to minimize the audio sync issue when processing video.

So it just passes the video untouched?

What about the bluray port? I'm trying to figure out what would be best for my ps3 which is used 60/40 movies/games

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
post #549 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post

just ordered a AVR-3312. I got a couple questions regarding 3312 and 3313:
I have ATV 3, and I plan to connect it to AVR-3312 using HDMI. is there any way that I can watch Netflix using ATV3 while listenning to music airplayed from my ipad? if not, can the new AVT-3313 do this?

Generally when watching Nexflix you will want to listen to that source. You can hook up a component cable from your Sat/Cable box or any other source that has component output and use the video select while in Net/USB to watch that source while using Airplay (from your iPad) Denon Radio etc... Most will use this feature while watching sports, music videos, gaming etc... while listening to music from Net/USB/Airplay.
post #550 of 10734 Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Generally when watching Nexflix you will want to listen to that source. You can hook up a component cable from your Sat/Cable box or any other source that has component output and use the video select while in Net/USB to watch that source while using Airplay (from your iPad) Denon Radio etc... Most will use this feature while watching sports, music videos, gaming etc... while listening to music from Net/USB/Airplay.

This workaround however causes other issues: I can't use HDMI passthrough and HDMI control, GUI over HDMI, etc. After all, HDMI is one of selling points.
post #551 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
^^
The suggestion was to "add" a component cable, not to remove the HDMI cable from the cable/sat box such that the component input is only used when you want to mix the audio/video sources. And even when used, the component source will still be converted to HDMI such that the GUI will be displayed.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #552 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 03:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by brschmid View Post

So it just passes the video untouched?
What about the bluray port? I'm trying to figure out what would be best for my ps3 which is used 60/40 movies/games
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

What would be best is to simply connect the PS3 up to the AVR using all factory default settings and then resolve any issues as they come up.

"JD" –

post #553 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj0nes View Post

Thanks for responding, the front panel said STEREO. I have run Auto Setup/Audyssey. I just have the pair of JBL's. Sounds like I'll have to adjust the PS3, was reading a bit more and seems like a common issue with PS3's.

I had the same volume problem but it was with the cbl box but heres what i did. And the post i made about it.
i noticed the 2313 didnt seem to be putting out as much volume as the onkyo could even though the 2313 is rated at more watts per channel. So i found the input screen and raised the source level dbs and now it has the power i was expecting but my question is will this have any negative effects on anything? Thanks!
post #554 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 AM
585-645-1006

The Source Level setting is designed to even out the volume of all sources at the same master volume setting. So for example if there is only one source that seems to be too low/high, you can use the Source Level setting for that input to raise/lower that source's volume to better match the other sources when at the same master volume setting. Raising the Source Level setting is no different than simply raising the master volume setting.

"JD" –

post #555 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 AM
585-645-1006

Denon USA now has all the "CI" model Owner manuals posted to their website. Select the "Downloads and Manuals" tab. smile.gif

2113CI ---> http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers%28DenonNA%29&PId=AVR2113CI%28DenonNA%29

2313CI ---> http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers%28DenonNA%29&catalog=DenonNA_US&PId=AVR2313CI%28DenonNA%29

3313CI ---> http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers%28DenonNA%29&PId=AVR3313CI%28DenonNA%29

"JD" –

post #556 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post

just ordered a AVR-3312. I got a couple questions regarding 3312 and 3313:
I have ATV 3, and I plan to connect it to AVR-3312 using HDMI. is there any way that I can watch Netflix using ATV3 while listenning to music airplayed from my ipad? if not, can the new AVT-3313 do this?

I too would like to have my AVR output separate video and audio sources to the same room but do not want to be constrained by the one-HDMI restriction. So how is this for a possible solution using the increased capabilities of the new AVR-3313ci:

Instead of playing the ATV3/Netflix video source in the main zone and trying (unsuccessfully) to override the audio with AirPlayed music, why not just play the AirPlay audio in the main zone and send the HDMI-source ATV3/Netflix video to Zone 2. Then simply route that Zone 2 HDMI cable to a second HDMI input on your main zone TV/monitor (assuming you have at least two HDMI inputs on your TV/monirtor) and set your monitor/TV to view that second HDMI source?

Is this scenario possible with the increased capabilites of the new AVR-3313ci?
post #557 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2ss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj0nes View Post

I had the same volume problem but it was with the cbl box but heres what i did. And the post i made about it.
i noticed the 2313 didnt seem to be putting out as much volume as the onkyo could even though the 2313 is rated at more watts per channel. So i found the input screen and raised the source level dbs and now it has the power i was expecting but my question is will this have any negative effects on anything? Thanks!

all you had to do was turn up the volume wink.gif it would have had the exact same effect.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #558 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Does anyone know if the serial protocol documents for the xx13CI models have been made available yet? If so, could you provide a pointer?

Thanks,
Dave
post #559 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 PM

I've been reading the newly posted 3313 manual very carefully since it's been posted and I think it's pretty clear that if you want to use the speaker posts to get audio to zone 2 you have to use an analog connection (no hdmi, no optical, no digital coax). I think all of that has been fairly well discussed here so is not news. I think this is really unfortunate as I use my deck speakers a lot and zone 2 is critical to me. I was looking at the manual and the pictures of the back of the 3313 and MAY have come up with a creative solution to get at least once source out to zone 2 and wanted to bounce this idea off everyone here. What if you connect a source (Google TV in my case) to the receiver via the media player HDMI connection then take the analog out media player connection and run RCA cables from there to the media player in connections. In theory this would circle an analog signal back in the 3313 which could be used for zone 2 output... thoughts? I realize this is not a perfect solution as you could only do this for one source but I could live with that because my one source of google tv would include cable tv, streaming music, streaming movies, and dvds as all of that is packaged in my google tv box. What do you think?
post #560 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

it will not work, the same "analog only" restrictions govern all analog RCA outputs, whether it's zone 2/3 outputs or the standard "record out" outputs.

the "double connection" with an analog RCA cable paralleling the digital cable is your only option for getting an external source to Zone 2 speakers.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #561 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamel View Post

I too would like to have my AVR output separate video and audio sources to the same room but do not want to be constrained by the one-HDMI restriction. So how is this for a possible solution using the increased capabilities of the new AVR-3313ci:
Instead of playing the ATV3/Netflix video source in the main zone and trying (unsuccessfully) to override the audio with AirPlayed music, why not just play the AirPlay audio in the main zone and send the HDMI-source ATV3/Netflix video to Zone 2. Then simply route that Zone 2 HDMI cable to a second HDMI input on your main zone TV/monitor (assuming you have at least two HDMI inputs on your TV/monirtor) and set your monitor/TV to view that second HDMI source?
Is this scenario possible with the increased capabilites of the new AVR-3313ci?

Yes, in theory this should work. smile.gif

"JD" –

post #562 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:

it will not work, the same "analog only" restrictions govern all analog RCA outputs, whether it's zone 2/3 outputs or the standard "record out" outputs.
the "double connection" with an analog RCA cable paralleling the digital cable is your only option for getting an external source to Zone 2 speakers.

Thanks for the fast response but I'm not sure if you fully understand what I'm suggesting as this is thinking a little outside the box. Just to make sure I'm clear, the signal would go into HDMI media player in as digital then out the specific media player out connection (there are special analog media player connections on the back) then take this analog signal via rca cables back into the media player in analog connections (essentially making this the "double connection"). Check out a picture of the back of the 3313 and note the analog media player out connections on the back of the 3313 that I'm suggesting we could use. Thanks.
post #563 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
585-645-1006

No ... he understands ... the only way to get any audio out of the Media Center analog output is by connecting a source with analog cables (ie HDMI (Media Center) will not go out the analog (Media Center)).

"JD" –

post #564 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

No ... he understands ... the only way to get any audio out of the Media Center analog output is by connecting a source with analog cables (ie HDMI (Media Center) will not go out the analog (Media Center)).

Okay, I understand now. I guess I'm back to using an optical (toslink) to analog converter box (fairly cheap but just trying to shrink the birds nest of cables) from the Google TV box to use as my double connection. The google TV has only 2 connections - HDMI and optical. Thanks guys.

Oh one last thought, I usually have the same source on for both zones at any given time so wouldn't mind using "front B" to the speaker posts to make this work but I would lose independent volume control for each zone right? In other words I can't turn the volume way down in the main zone and crank zone 2 to a higher volume, correct?
post #565 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
585-645-1006

Correct.

"JD" –

post #566 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Is it possible to purchase from Audssey MultEQ XT32 and download it into a Denon AVR3313CI since the 3313 is at the MultEQ XT level?

Also is it possible to purchase from Audessey their Low Frequency Containment and also download it to the above Denon?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
post #567 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
585-645-1006

Sorry, but no. frown.gif

The only way to get XT32 or LFC is to buy a model that has those features.

"JD" –

post #568 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:

^^
The suggestion was to "add" a component cable, not to remove the HDMI cable from the cable/sat box such that the component input is only used when you want to mix the audio/video sources. And even when used, the component source will still be converted to HDMI such that the GUI will be displayed.

can you explain about adding component? do you mean splitting hdmi from ATV into two ouputs, and then convert one output to component. so one hdmi connects to AVR and one component connects to AVR. both inputs are from the same ATV hdmi.

is that right?
post #569 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM

I read that xx13 model can output to zone 2 only when the source is analog. and xx12 does not have this limitation. does that mean I can airplay from ATV using hdmi to zone 2 on xx12 model?
post #570 of 10734 Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sorry but you've been misinformed. Pretty much EVERY receiver on the market can only play analog signals to Zone 2 (note that this limitation does NOT extend to internally tuned network sources) so you could NOT play any HDMI audio to Zone 2 with either xx12 or xx13 models. It's not a new limitation at all. A few higher-end Denon models can play a 2.0PCM signal over an SPDIF (optical/coax) connection to Zone 2, but none can play HDMI signals.

you should take the time to review the info in the first few posts of this thread as well as the corresponding info in the xx12 model thread.

note (as per the parenthetical above) that you CAN play AirPlay to Zone 2 if you use the receiver's built-in AirPlay streaming as the "AirPlay speaker".

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page