The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 10701 Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

Right. I was more interested in this scenario: watching something from Blu-Ray player on main TV in 5.1 via receiver and send cable box signal at the same time directly to the 2nd TV. Will that reduce sound signal from BD player to 2.0 on "zone 1"?

Nope. Independent sources are fine.
giedrys likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 10701 Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru27 View Post

I have installed today Denon 2133 and calibrated speakers with Audyssey.
All seem to be OK, with an exception: I have no picture/sound from BR/Dvd player.
I've connected the BR player to Denon receiver with HDMI, and connected optically Denon to the set top box. Also the TV is connected via HDMI with the receiver.
While running a BR disk (during which I kept hearing a light, high pitch noise - is this normal?) and a DVD, the display on the receiver stated BD/DVD and was showing the running time, but thats all.

Did I miss something?

Thank you.

If the BDP has a "Deep Color Output"' setting, try setting it to OFF. Also try connecting the BDP to every HDMI input to see if one works better than another.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #6033 of 10701 Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmosyd View Post

Oki!!! So the Denon 3313 differs from the Onkyo 818 then...
And i will be able to connect 1 pair of speakers to the "Surround back" and get the 2.0 stereo with the tv upstairs?

The Zone 2 (HDMI) output on the 3313CI will allow you to pass the HDMI video/audio to the TV upstairs directly. If you want to also use a set of stereo speakers, only analog audio from the cable box will pass to the Zone 2 speakers so you'll also have to connect a red/white RCA cable from the cable box to the AVR in addition to the HDMI cable.

post #6034 of 10701 Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My AVR-1713 prompted me for another firmware update today. Any idea what this addresses?

I had already installed the firmware update to resolve Pandora connection issues about a month or two ago.

Thanks.
post #6035 of 10701 Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Please review posts #3-6 at the beginning of this thread, as there is some very helpful information posted there to include a firmware changelog in post #6.

post #6036 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If the BDP has a "Deep Color Output"' setting, try setting it to OFF. Also try connecting the BDP to every HDMI input to see if one works better than another.

I think that happened when I've failed to make a last HDMI connection to the TV (the HDMI deep color was already set to OFF).
Now the DVD works, also a SACD, but not the BRD: the tray automatically opens up after a few seconds.
In the BDP manual it says that this may be due to a non playable BR disk, or a file from it, or that I havent properly set the region number - but neither of these seem to apply.

It's a blu-ray sampler from Eagle Vision which I found in the Denon 2113 box.
For the moment I dont have other bly-rays to compare.

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
post #6037 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:

The Zone 2 (HDMI) output on the 3313CI will allow you to pass the HDMI video/audio to the TV upstairs directly. If you want to also use a set of stereo speakers, only analog audio from the cable box will pass to the Zone 2 speakers so you'll also have to connect a red/white RCA cable from the cable box to the AVR in addition to the HDMI cable.

Hmmmm... I thought that you only needed analog cables if you wanted to use the pre-outs to an external amp.

J P-A
post #6038 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 AM
585-645-1006

Correct, however there was no mention of an external amp in your post, rather only HDMI and on board speaker posts which is what I directed my response towards. Note however, that even when using the Zone 2 pre-outs, the "analog" only connection from the cable box still applies.

post #6039 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Correct, however there was no mention of an external amp in your post, rather only HDMI and on board speaker posts which is what I directed my response towards. Note however, that even when using the Zone 2 pre-outs, the "analog" only connection from the cable box still applies.

Ok,so lets see if i get this right...smile.gif

If i only wanna use the TV for the sound upstairs there is no need for an analog RCA-cabel? All i need is a hdmi cabel from 3313 to the tv and i get sound and audio?

If I wanna use 2 external speakers upstairs for the TV-sound i must have the rca-cabel from satbox to the 3313? The speakers i connect from "surround back"?

Thx for bearing with me....smile.gif

J P-A
post #6040 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 AM

Hi guys, I need your input on one of mine brilliant ideas smile.gif

I own a Denon 2313 which I use for my HT (I power a Focal chorus 800 series 5.1 speaker system). And more and more I'm leaning towards music and stereo systems.

I was at my dealer's place yesterday and I explained my situation and my growing wish for listening to music. My dealer suggested the following :

To buy the PMA-2020AE integrated amplifier. Connect "power amp direct in" on the PMA to the "pre-out" on the 2313 and use my current setup for music listening (stereo). By doing so, I could watch movies and listen to music on my system. (I might add, that the front speakers are Focal Chorus 836V). I have a lot of music on my PC, that is connected via HDMI to my 2313.

So what is your general opinion on such idea ? Wast of money ? Any advice is well appreciated smile.gif

Thanks !!
post #6041 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 208
^^^^

Have you tried listening to your system in STEREO or DIRECT mode? Even one of the music surround modes, I personally like Dolby PLIIx Music. You may be pleasantly surprised that you have no need for an external amp. wink.gif

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #6042 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepS View Post

Hi guys, I need your input on one of mine brilliant ideas smile.gif

I own a Denon 2313 which I use for my HT (I power a Focal chorus 800 series 5.1 speaker system). And more and more I'm leaning towards music and stereo systems.

I was at my dealer's place yesterday and I explained my situation and my growing wish for listening to music. My dealer suggested the following :

To buy the PMA-2020AE integrated amplifier. Connect "power amp direct in" on the PMA to the "pre-out" on the 2313 and use my current setup for music listening (stereo). By doing so, I could watch movies and listen to music on my system. (I might add, that the front speakers are Focal Chorus 836V). I have a lot of music on my PC, that is connected via HDMI to my 2313.

First thing first, can you confirm if your AVR actually sports a "pre-outs" for use with that outboard amp? Not sure if it is a typo, 2313 or 3313 unit you got, as only one of them has pre-outs.

Now for the idea of listening to music, it is a separate concept which is very subjective, which in turn can be a sink hole for your hard earned money smile.gif!
post #6043 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM

I've just checked the 2313 and it has pre-outs at the back. You can see at the back picture here: http://www.tivolihifi.com.au/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/el_avr2313_e2_bk_re.jpg For each channel it has a designated pre-out. So I think, that in theory it should work. ??

I've listened music in stereo and direct mode on my system, and it sounds OK.

But when I heard the music on his system, DCD-2020AE + PMA-2020AE ... I hit puberty all over again biggrin.gif I mean, ... Wow, I was like eek.gif

I really don't know what to do here
post #6044 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 369
That's the Australian AVR-2313. The US AVR-2313CI has no preouts. frown.gif
See http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR-2313CI/EL_de_avr2313ci_e3_bk_re_bg001_hi.jpg

Selden
post #6045 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmosyd View Post

Ok,so lets see if i get this right...smile.gif

If i only wanna use the TV for the sound upstairs there is no need for an analog RCA-cabel? All i need is a hdmi cabel from 3313 to the tv and i get sound and audio?

If I wanna use 2 external speakers upstairs for the TV-sound i must have the rca-cabel from satbox to the 3313? The speakers i connect from "surround back"?

The HDMI Zone 2 output is a simple HDMI matrix switch, so any HDMI source can pass through without any extra cabling.

However, if you want to use the "normal" Zone 2 output (whether using the Zone 2 pre-outs to an amp or using amp assign to utilize the surr.back amps) for audio, then you are subject to the standard Zone 2 restrictions (i.e. analog only) discussed here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=160

Honestly, it's best to think of the Zone 2 HDMI and the traditional Zone 2 method as separate features. It's hard to make them work in conjunction because of the above. My suggestion is, if you want to add external speakers to the upstairs TV setup, just use the audio output of the TV itself to feed a small 2ch setup.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6046 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

That's the Australian AVR-2313. The US AVR-2313CI has no preouts. frown.gif
See http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR-2313CI/EL_de_avr2313ci_e3_bk_re_bg001_hi.jpg

I didn't knew they were different smile.gif Well I've checked once again, the pre-outs are there smile.gif
post #6047 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:

I've just checked the 2313 and it has pre-outs at the back. You can see at the back picture here: http://www.tivolihifi.com.au/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/el_avr2313_e2_bk_re.jpg For each channel it has a designated pre-out. So I think, that in theory it should work. ??

But when I heard the music on his system, DCD-2020AE + PMA-2020AE ... I hit puberty all over again biggrin.gif I mean, ... Wow, I was like eek.gif

What do I know about the Aussie version 2313? Good for you!

The idea of using an AVR as a pre-amp is not new, and relative to those audiophile pre-amps, the cost of an (integrated) AVR -due to the economy of scale, is way more affordable for such pre-amping purposes. Still, when it comes to your listening experience on that system (DCD-2020AE + PMA-2020AE at their room), it is very subjective when you compare to your set up at home for a couple reasons that I can think of:

1. Its source is likely uncompressed, if not pure CD quality. Your musical source is "questionable" if not troublesome to me, when you mentioned listening to your music from your PC? Right of the bat you are comparing 2 different things, and one is not even comparable to the other, IMO.

2. The combination of those separates, a source (CD/DVD), pre-amp, power amp, compatible speakers, the listening room, altogether creates the "experience" you had at the dealer's listening room. Your setup at home would be significantly different from every single component, starting with your musical source, to amp-speaker compatibility, to listening room ...

To make a long story short, it's a "journey" if you will, following the audiophile route, but then, you don't necessarily have to do anything other than paying attention to your source smile.gif. The "fever" may not last when you come back to your senses, it may just be a luxury that you don't really need.
post #6048 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

What you were hearing, most likely, is his speakers rather than the amplifier. Unless you're listening to your music at absurdly loud levels, the amplifiers in your 2313 are more than adequate for the task at hand, despite what the audiophool claptrap says. And even then, probably a significant amount of what you were hearing is probably in your head, rather than reality. The simple fact of the matter is that at normal volume levels, the amplifiers in modern AVRs are completely indistinguishable from some overpriced separate.

If you're really interested in good quality sound, the best results will probably come from your choice of speakers. These don't have to break the bank, there is quite a bit of really good stuff out there for not too much money. The other thing that will have an impact on the sound is the character of the room you are listening to the music in. If it has a lot of soft surfaces (carpet, drapes, couches, etc...) that will tend to sop up the high frequencies, for example. The shape of the room can also have a significant impact on the sound.

SO I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of things can cause the "pop" you heard in his system, but the least likely of these factors is the choice of amplifier.
post #6049 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I didn't knew they were different smile.gif Well I've checked once again, the pre-outs are there smile.gif

Yup. Right you are as in all other regions around the world (except the USA/CA), the 2313 has pre-outs, just as the 1913 has MultEQ XT in all other regions as well.

post #6050 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider- View Post

SO I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of things can cause the "pop" you heard in his system, but the least likely of these factors is the choice of amplifier.

Strider is right on on this one. +1,000,000

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #6051 of 10701 Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 PM

OK, I've connected the BDP to other HDMI input on the TV and that made the blu-ray sampler running - thanks .

The picture is OK but the sound, although it should be DTS HD-MA (as stated on the blu-ray cover), doesnt feel like. and it's rather muffled.
On the Denon 2113 display it says "DTS", and when I press Info on the remote control, on the TV screen appears "DTS surround".

Is this normal?

Note: definitely something's not right - when running that blu-ray if I press info display on the TV's remote it states: 480i (instead of 1080i, which should be on that br sampler)
Could it be the HDMI cable?

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
post #6052 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The cable won't change the resolution. Check the settings in the player. You might have accidentally set it to output a fixed video resolution of 480i. Otherwise, you'll need to replace the disc. You might have a defective copy -- one with the video files accidentally written at standard def.

Selden
post #6053 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 13
I do see in this thread where astropilot seemed to be having the same issue (described below) around 2 months ago but I don't see where he got any resolution to it. Other than the issues below, I absolutely love this receiver (coming from a 10 year basic Onkyo that is still working just great). So here goes:

Purchased a 1913 about a week ago and set it up last weekend. It all seemed to go pretty smoothly including the latest firmware update. However, I noticed that the Favorites menu seems to only work sporadically. I can't seem to scroll through them properly. It just hangs on Favorite 1. BTW - I don't have any HDMI components (including my TV) so this is all from the 1913 units display. I have sent in an email to Denon support - but no response as of yet.

Also, it seems that occasionally while listening to Pandora, when it changes to the next song, I will get no volume/sound. When it switches to the next song again, the sound comes back. I really like the receiver but these issues are scaring me. I have not reset the microprocessor yet - hate to lose all of my settings. Is anyone else having (or had) these issues and what did you do to resolve them? Thanks.
post #6054 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

The cable won't change the resolution. Check the settings in the player. You might have accidentally set it to output a fixed video resolution of 480i. Otherwise, you'll need to replace the disc. You might have a defective copy -- one with the video files accidentally written at standard def.

Indeed it was my mistake - the resolution on the player was set to 480i.
Still, I wonder why sound appeared as DTS/DTS Surround instead of DTS HD-MA, upon playing that BR disk?. Could it be because I have a 5.0 audio system, and not a 7.1 one? Is DTS HD-MA only in 7.1?

post #6055 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Hi all,
I bought avr1713. but it got damaged during transit while relocating below mentioned spares are found defective.

(1) Front panel

(2) Front panel PCB assy including display and volume control.

(3) Top cover.

When I checked with dealers they don't have this spares and not intrested to order from company and offering me another AVR. Can any one help me to find this spares???
Thanks
post #6056 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

alexandru27,

To get HD audio, you need HD video, too.

Audio and video data share the same wires in an HDMI cable. HDMI audio is sent during the "vertical retrace interval" and uses the same transmission bitrate as the video. This means that for HD audio to be transmitted, the player also has to be sending high resolution video. When Standard Definition video is being sent, the bitrate is too low for the HD audio to fit into the limited time available to send it.

Selden
post #6057 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu3445 View Post

Hi all,
I bought avr1713. but it got damaged during transit while relocating below mentioned spares are found defective.

(1) Front panel

(2) Front panel PCB assy including display and volume control.

(3) Top cover.

When I checked with dealers they don't have this spares and not intrested to order from company and offering me another AVR. Can any one help me to find this spares???
Thanks

Contact the shipping company and file a claim. If it was broken during shipment, the shipping company's insurance is responsible for paying for replacing it. At the very least they should pay for an authorized repair center to fix it.

Selden
post #6058 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Hi all,

I have a Denon AVR-2313CI set up for Zone 1 surround sound and Zone 2.

I am struggling to get Zone 2 audio working with my Blue ray player. My Blue ray player is a SONY BDP-S185. I have the player hooked up with HDMI cable and the red and white analog cables for the zone 2 audio. The Blue ray player is hooked up to the network. Sometimes zone 2 audio works, sometimes it doesn't. I am at a loss to figure out how to control the variability.

Zone 2 works with all my other components (except my tv which doesn't support analog output).

Thanks!
post #6059 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:

alexandru27,

To get HD audio, you need HD video, too.

Audio and video data share the same wires in an HDMI cable. HDMI audio is sent during the "vertical retrace interval" and uses the same transmission bitrate as the video. This means that for HD audio to be transmitted, the player also has to be sending high resolution video. When Standard Definition video is being sent, the bitrate is too low for the HD audio to fit into the limited time available to send it.

Oops, thanks for the tip. I should have thought about it.
I cannot do it atm, but gonna check soon the sound on that BR disk.

Anyway, I'm sad to learn (too late, as I cannot return/exchange them anymore) that my 5.0 Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX is not happily paired with Denon 2113 receiver (neither with Yamaha 673, which I have already returned and opted for Denon, in search of a less bright/metalic sounding receiver).
The sound is most of the times muffled, barrel-like. The voices dont sound natural at all. The overall sound is less bright/metallic as compaired with Yamaha receiver pairing, but sometimes the metal-like, unnatural/barrel-like sounding of high and middle frequencies is perceivable with this one too.
Looks like it's due primarily to Monitor Audio specific. Unfortunatelly I didnt get a chance to listen to them prior to buying.

I wonder if things will improve after adding a sub and running again Audissey (or maybe if I'll do a bi-amping of front speakers too)

post #6060 of 10701 Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM

General question here:

I'm looking to buy an AVR-3313CI. Denon lists the dimensions as:

Width (inches) 17.1
Height (inches) 6.57
Depth (inches) 14.92

My console (nice piece of furniture, wife issue) has 16.5 inches of usable (depth) terrain (from back wall to where door will close). I'm not sure what the listed dimensions show (the actual casing versus from power cable to tip of knobs, etc.) and I need this piece to fit such that the doors close. I am not averse to cutting a slot in the back of the console to accommodate the receiver if I need to, but only want to do so if necessary. If anyone has easy access to measure I would sincerely appreciate it.

(If I cut the hole, I would worry about dust on the inputs, etc- is there a workaround or tips for this?)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page