The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 217 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6481 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ola!

I need your help/advice!

A few months ago i bought a denon 2113CI. Because of all the work in the house i have only been able to hook it up 2 weeks ago.
Everything works just fine EXCEPT that the unit itself makes a humming/buzzing/hissing noise when in standby mode. the weird thing is, it only makes the noise when in standy... When i power the unit on the noise fades away.
So the sound is comming for the unit itself and not from the speakers. Do any of you have the same problem? Should i return the unit while it is still under warranty?
The hissing/humming annoys me to no end :-/

Thx in advance for you advice/help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Ok, I'll play around with it and ask over in the Mac ht comp forum

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6483 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr YuYu View Post

Ola!

I need your help/advice!

A few months ago i bought a denon 2113CI. Because of all the work in the house i have only been able to hook it up 2 weeks ago.
Everything works just fine EXCEPT that the unit itself makes a humming/buzzing/hissing noise when in standby mode. the weird thing is, it only makes the noise when in standy... When i power the unit on the noise fades away.
So the sound is comming for the unit itself and not from the speakers. Do any of you have the same problem? Should i return the unit while it is still under warranty?

Try a few troubleshooting steps to make sure it's not a ground loop or some other interference.

Does it still happen when HDMI cables are unplugged? e.g. try unplugging the HDMI to the TV, and then the sources. You may be able to isolate the buzz to a specific connection.

You can also check to see if it happens when HDMI Control is disabled, because when it is ON the HDMI section stays powered to deliver the standby passthrough signal and maintain the CEC connection.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6484 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr YuYu View Post

Ola!

I need your help/advice!

Same exact thing happened to me. Bought a refurb 2113 a few weeks before moving into our new house, but didn't get around to hooking it up until a month later. Same humm/hiss noise- mine was noticeable in standby, but annoyingly loud when the unit was turned on. Tried a microprocessor reset, plugging into different wall outlets, removing all connections, etc. to no avail. I found a few people who mentioned some success by turning off "IP Control" in the settings, but it did nothing to help me.

I called Denon and received a replacement in less than a week. Everything has been golden since.

I would recommend calling Denon and asking for a replacement if you're unable to isolate the issue to something else within your system.
post #6485 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I see a lot of posts about people pushing Movie or Music buttons on their Denon Remote. My question is, why? Doesn't the receiver automatically select the best output audio? Example, watching a Movie on Netflix now, and receiver says DTS. Just wondering what the point of pressing movie or music, or manually setting sound output is? I run 5.1 btw

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #6486 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For multichannel inputs it's not really necessary as the receiver will generally default to the "correct" surround mode. Especially on a 5.1 system where there are no options for matrixing additional speakers.

But with a 2ch stereo input it's a different story. For example, Netflix streams are often 2ch stereo. Let's say you stream Netflix on your AppleTV, but also use it to listen to music. The MOVIE and MUSIC buttons allow you to memorize PLII Cinema as your preferred mode for video content (Netflix stream) while switching quickly to PLII Music or Stereo mode for music content.

Now, there's an additional wrinkle if you have a 7ch setup. Then, with a 5.1 input, you may choose to play it at 5.1 (no surround back or height content), or use PLIIx Cinema to marix back surrounds (or PLIIz to matrix height speakers if that's your setup).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6487 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM

For those of you with a buzzing/humm issue. Try purchasing a ground loop isolation device from Radio Shack. This curred my problem. I'm pretty sure if you unplug the coax from your cable STB you will find it's source....

http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/product/detail.do?itemId=2062214&categoryId=&cust_categoryId=&path=

Steven
post #6488 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM

trying to run the internet radio via my speakers on my tv.

I have a denon 2313 and i'm trying to get the audio to output to my TV speakers. I've done this already via HDMI for my HDMI inputs but can't figure out how to make this work for non hdmi inputs.
post #6489 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It doesn't work for non HDMI inputs. There is no audio conversion.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6490 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsoko View Post

I have a denon 2313 and i'm trying to get the audio to output to my TV speakers. I've done this already via HDMI for my HDMI inputs but can't figure out how to make this work for non hdmi inputs.

Audio can only be directed to the TV speakers one of two ways .... (1) HDMI Audio Out , and (2) HDMI Standby pass through, both of which require HDMI sources.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6491 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM

So I'm new here, just a question or 2. I have a 1513 and being it was my first surround system I was happy with it but now I'm wanting to upgrade. I want to stay with Denon and have looked at some of the units but not sure what I need. I have a Panasonic P55ST50 and it's hooked up to the 1513 and I just purchased some DefTech 600's. I don't have a huge room but not tiny. I have all my HDMI ports maxed so if I want to add something I need more. Can someone recommend some units. Also, am looking to add a turntable soon, but not seeing receivers with photo hookups? Thanks
post #6492 of 10739 Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want a phono input with Denon you will need the 3313. Otherwise if you can live without the 2113 is a good upgrade from the 1513. 6 hdmi inputs instead of 4.

My Setup Thread

post #6493 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 AM

Thx for the advice! I'll try the troubleshooting tips this evening. If not i'll have to send it back.
post #6494 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 05:16 AM

Liked: 11
My fronts were set to 'large' and I've changed them to small, just to check the sounding - it all turned much less loud.
When I've put them back to 'large' the overall level of sound remained the same - very reduced.
How can I bring it back to the level it was before?
I hope I don't have to restart Audyssey calibrating.

(5.0 system, Denon 2113)

I've checked and looks like I've disabled Audyssey settings - in Setup/Audio/Audyssey I only have 2 options for MultEQ XT: 'Graphic EQ' and 'OFF'

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
post #6495 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 AM

Hi chaps!

I have a 1713, and I have a question about playing films via HDMI from my PC. I have The Hobbit with DTS-HD Master Audio, which I believe the 1713 is capable of decoding. When I play it, I use the cinema settings - neo 6 syas DTS PCM, and Prologic II says just PCM. Am I getting the source sound with these settings?

Appreciate any advice.
post #6496 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 AM

grrrrrr 2113 handshake issues!! well to be fair, it is only on one source. I have my computer z77 extreme 6 hd4000 on-board hdmi video connected to the blu-ray input. if i select a source other than the blu-ray, then my computer sees the connection. as soon as i switch to the blu-ray input, it looses the connection and my tv says no signal. a direct connection to the tv from the computer works just fine. Also the computer has a pci-e video card that seems to function just fine as well. the problem is that it is older and can't pass audio. I had a 50' conected at first, then now a 25' hdmi cable. monoprice, the big fat ones. Cables should be ok i think. they work for my other sources. seems like the onboard hdmi , but why does it get seen selecting another input like game, but then going back to blu-ray it gets lost.

thoughts, ideas, advise. lol

thanks much guys
post #6497 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 12
Issue with Denon AVR-2313CI & Sharp 80LE844U - Need Some Help!

I have the Sharp 80LE844U & Denon AVR-2313CI
Connection is via HDMI
Both units have the latest firmware updates.

Components fed to receiver are an XBox 360 & OPPO 103 via HDMI

ISSUE: When watching OPPO or using XBox I randomly get black outs on the TV - no picture at all - sound continues.
The "black out" only last for a few seconds. When the picture comes back the TV displays it's info (1080p - input 3, etc) like it just go the signal
It seems like the TV is losing the signal or there is a break in the signal.

I have a cable box hooked directly to the TV via HDMI and do not have this issue.
HDMI cables are new, using cable supplied with OPPO

I have tried messing with all sorts of settings on both the Receiver and TV and can not rectify the problem.

It happens randomly and not often - maybe 1-2 times per hour
post #6498 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I too am having handshake issues but only on the input I have plugged in my new Mac mini. But it happens like clockwork upon switching to the input with the Denon remote. It only blacks out twice upon switching then is done. Not too problematic but it would be nice to not happen considering I'm heavily invested in my ht...

My Setup Thread

post #6499 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

On a side not does anyone know a good Mac forum? I found one on here but it's highly inactive, only 20 posts in its life...biggrin.gif

My Setup Thread

post #6500 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru27 View Post

My fronts were set to 'large' and I've changed them to small, just to check the sounding - it all turned much less loud.
When I've put them back to 'large' the overall level of sound remained the same - very reduced.
How can I bring it back to the level it was before?
I hope I don't have to restart Audyssey calibrating.

(5.0 system, Denon 2113)

I've checked and looks like I've disabled Audyssey settings - in Setup/Audio/Audyssey I only have 2 options for MultEQ XT: 'Graphic EQ' and 'OFF'

Sorry: you'll have to recalibrate Audyssey.

Since you have no subwoofer, your front speakers have to be left as "Large". The receiver's bass management needs to be able to redirect the low frequencies of all of the speaker channels to the front speakers. When you changed them to "Small" Audyssey's calibration was automatically invalidated because you have no subwoofer.

Selden
post #6501 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

On a side not does anyone know a good Mac forum? I found one on here but it's highly inactive, only 20 posts in its life...biggrin.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/f/115/htpc-mac-chat
is probably the appropriate place. It has had quite a few posts in just the past week. I dunno what forum you were looking at.

Selden
post #6502 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM

@Selden Ball: thanks, so it's good to know not to mess with the front speaker settings made by Audyssey, as long as I dont have a sub - I think that was not covered in the manual.
Actually the manual doesnt even mention 5.0 among the speaker settings it describes - probably assuming nobody (or almost) is making the mistake to not adding a subwoofer to their sound system.

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
post #6503 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams1516 View Post

Hi chaps!

I have a 1713, and I have a question about playing films via HDMI from my PC. I have The Hobbit with DTS-HD Master Audio, which I believe the 1713 is capable of decoding. When I play it, I use the cinema settings - neo 6 syas DTS PCM, and Prologic II says just PCM. Am I getting the source sound with these settings?

Appreciate any advice.

That means you are getting a 2ch stereo PCM input. The PC settings need to be changed to allow it to output the full multich audio.

Getting HTPC's to work properly with AV receivers can be a bit of a bear. Witness the multiple posts just today about handshake problems with PC's hooked up via HDMI. But, anyway, I guarantee you it's the PC settings. When you have it set right, the receiver will tell you that it's receiver the DTS-HD signal.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6504 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen View Post

Issue with Denon AVR-2313CI & Sharp 80LE844U - Need Some Help!

I have the Sharp 80LE844U & Denon AVR-2313CI
Connection is via HDMI
Both units have the latest firmware updates.

Components fed to receiver are an XBox 360 & OPPO 103 via HDMI

ISSUE: When watching OPPO or using XBox I randomly get black outs on the TV - no picture at all - sound continues.
The "black out" only last for a few seconds. When the picture comes back the TV displays it's info (1080p - input 3, etc) like it just go the signal
It seems like the TV is losing the signal or there is a break in the signal.

I have a cable box hooked directly to the TV via HDMI and do not have this issue.
HDMI cables are new, using cable supplied with OPPO

I have tried messing with all sorts of settings on both the Receiver and TV and can not rectify the problem.

It happens randomly and not often - maybe 1-2 times per hour

This sounds very much like an HDMI cable issue. Check the cable between the receiver and the TV, make sure the connections are seated tightly and there is no tension (e.g if the cable bends sharply right after the connection point). You may also want to try replacing the cable

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6505 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM

How exactly do I get Pandora to work on a 2113CI?

I went to the setup page for it on my PC, found a tab called User Account where I could enter my user and pass, but when I hit "Set", it just sits there connecting. What would I have to do on the receiver to see if it worked?
rmk811 likes this.
post #6506 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams1516 View Post

Hi chaps!

Appreciate any advice.
I'm not sure what video card and software player you use, but when I connected my HTPC to my 3313 receiver, initially I could only get plain DTS sound (the receiver said "DTS Surround") no matter what I did. For bitstreaming HD audio, Arcsoft TMT has an audio option for "Primary audio only", but I could never get that option show up. After some reading in the HTPC forum, I uninstalled and re-installed the ATI HDMI driver (actually I used the Realtek HDMI driver, but I don't know if that matters). Then I uninstalled and re-installed TMT, and suddenly the "Primary audio only" option appeared in TMT and the receiver now says "DTS-HD Master".

Like batpig said, HTPCs can be kind of tricky. I think drivers and programs tend to check device capabilities once and then sometimes stick to those settings even after you change the components to which they are connected. Hope this helps.

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
post #6507 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsoko

Audio can only be directed to the TV speakers one of two ways .... (1) HDMI Audio Out , and (2) HDMI Standby pass through, both of which require HDMI sources.

Is there any way to route to the the TV speakers via an RCA or other audio out?

Same with sending the airplay audio or pandora, etc.

I can setup it up to function as my zone 2 if that helps...
post #6508 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Yesterday I had a notice from my 3313ci appear on the screen that there is a firmware update available. I just updated about a week ago when I first connected the receiver. I haven't have any issues with the previous firmware, but given the problems some people had doing the last update I thought I would check first and see if anyone has tried this latest update or knows what it fixes.

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
post #6509 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Liked: 17
Howdy folks. I've owned an avr-1713 since Dec 2012 and it's worked excellent. It still works great but lost the lcd display last night. Blank front panel display / nada. Osd fine. Everything else fine. Weird!

It's not the dimmer, nor pure direct, nor does a microprocessor reset solve the blank display. Anything else I might be missing or is it time to bring it in to my local authorized Denon repair shop?

Another quickie......can they update my firmware to the latest 2/27 or would that not matter? Maybe would make lcd display work...... Thanks y'all
post #6510 of 10739 Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/f/115/htpc-mac-chat
is probably the appropriate place. It has had quite a few posts in just the past week. I dunno what forum you were looking at.

Thanks, that is the one I was in. About 5-6 of those posts were me. Perhaps that thread can be resurrected! I have gotten a couple responses with hopefully more to come. In fact similar questions like recent ones on this forum. Basically trying to figure out how to get the Dolby music listening preset with the Mac mini. I'll call apple this evening and have a chat. It's gotta have the capability some considering the Apple TV that costs 1/8 the price can do so. Maybe some of the higher end music players have audio output options.

My Setup Thread

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page