The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #6571 of 10921 Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRHARTLEY View Post

First off... I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked somewhere, and I'm working my way through this thread (Currently on page 42!) but I wanted to get clarification on this. In advance, special thanks to JD, BATPIG, et al... for the amazing knowledge and advice you all have let me in on... just by reading through this thread, post by post, I've learned so much and gotten so many questions answered without even having to ask!

When I run Audyssey it sets my front L/R to large. From reading this thread I know to change them to small and set crossover at 80 hz. My question is this: I set my sub as follows: phase at 0... level at halfway, or 12 o'clock... and the frequency all the way up (or highest frequency). After running the calibration should I adjust any of the sub settings? Should I lower the frequency on the sub back to it's original position? Should I adjust the master level back to where I like it? After that, should I adjust the settings that Audyssey comes up with? Or should I just leave everything the way it is, post-calibration?

I'm sorry if this has been gone over a thousand times. I have a 7.1 set-up, brand new 1913, and I've never owned Audyssey before... just trying to figure it all out. Thanks so much!

The Audyssey FAQ will talk about what to do with the volume control on the sub. Basically, you need to set the volume on the sub such that the attenuation applied by the AVR is within the range of (if I remember correctly) -3 to +3. The FAQ has the details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 10921 Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As noted in the Owner's manual, you must use a PC (or other device) to first "register" for an account using the Activation code displayed on your AVR.

It says to hit the Network button on the remote and go from there. Nothing happens when I hit Network...
post #6573 of 10921 Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Is you AVR connected to your home's wifi router/modem (ie. ethernet cable from the ethernet jack to the router/modem jack); otherwise you will not be able to use the various on board network sources?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_G2

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6574 of 10921 Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM

Yup. I've had it connected since I got it, and have updated the firmware since then. It shows up on my network.
post #6575 of 10921 Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
585-645-1006

So then you've never gotten a network source to play? Try unplugging the AVR for a few minutes, otherwise you may want to do a network reset as noted in post #5 of this thread.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6576 of 10921 Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all.
I have been running a Denon 2113 for best part of a year since they came out and am very happy with it.
I have the opportunity to pick up a 3311 new from a dealer who has had a layby cancelled. Still got full 3 year warranty etc.
I would use it for the time being as my "music only" amp and run it only in stereo. This may seem overkill but I want the airplay and DLNA facilities as well as Audyssey.
Is this amp going to fit the bill for me? Or should I use it in my cinema set-up in place of the 2113 and relegate that to second fiddle with the music?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Also posting this on the Denon 3311 thread.
post #6577 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdiaz55 View Post

Does the AVR -2313ci support the playback of 6 channel FLAC files from a network server or USB stick?

My Denon 2113 can't play such files from the network.
As about USB I dont know, as I didnt bother to format the HDD FAT32, preferring to using BDP-s USB - which accepts both FAT and NTFS. So I play all my multichannel files via BDP's USB port.

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
post #6578 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 AM

After rerunning Audyssey using a gorilla pod mounted on a tripod used for sustaining the Christmas tree smile.gif the sound got better and no more distorsions on high frequencies (voices). Also, I've placed the mic on 8 positions closer to each other and taking care not to be closer than 2' from the walls.
Finally I'm beginning to get the sound I was expecting from this receiver (2113). Can't wait to recalibrate after adding a sub.

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
post #6579 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 AM

Got the digital coax thing sorted. Assigned cab/sat to digital coax even tho sky TV HDMI does not work thru it. TV audio is arc. Now just switch between the 2 for dd5.1 / multimedia player. Just an update
post #6580 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 AM

New question pls. I have a 2113, q acoustics 2000ci centre, 2020i fronts and qav rears but no sub. Sounds great as it is with bass from 2020i. Should I get a sub and if so which?
post #6581 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBulluss View Post

Hi all.
I have been running a Denon 2113 for best part of a year since they came out and am very happy with it.
I have the opportunity to pick up a 3311 new from a dealer who has had a layby cancelled. Still got full 3 year warranty etc.
I would use it for the time being as my "music only" amp and run it only in stereo. This may seem overkill but I want the airplay and DLNA facilities as well as Audyssey.
Is this amp going to fit the bill for me? Or should I use it in my cinema set-up in place of the 2113 and relegate that to second fiddle with the music?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Also posting this on the Denon 3311 thread.

As noted in your other post, the addition of the 3311CI would make a fine stereo AVR. Whether you swap it out with the 2113CI depends on what features you need in the main HT room. If no additional features needed, then just use it in the Music only room.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #6582 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneho View Post

New question pls. I have a 2113, q acoustics 2000ci centre, 2020i fronts and qav rears but no sub. Sounds great as it is with bass from 2020i. Should I get a sub and if so which?

In my experience, any sound system will benefit from the addition of a subwoofer.

Head over to the subwoofer sub-forum and post up your room dimensions, budget and expectations and you will get some great recommendations.
post #6583 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L_H View Post

I had a small fan blowing air across the top of my 2313 and then decided to try it so that it is pulling air through the receiver and blowing straight up and it made a huge difference. I've located the fan on the left side towards the back and the top is now literally cool to the touch and I have the fan speed dialed down so that it's not audible unless you're up very close. I think that JDSmoothie's idea to locate the fan so that it is sucking air out of the cabinet through a hole in the back of the cabinet would be a good one and should result in air flow through the receiver. The difference though between just blowing air across the top and directly sucking air through the receiver is night and day if it just sits on a shelf in the open. Hope this helps, Mike

Thank guys for the reply, I found a 12cm USB fan made by Thermaltake it has a speed controller on it, I have put this on top of the unit sucking the air out, so I shall see how that works.

AVC-A1SE with mission speakers and REL sub
AVR-2113CI with Polk TL350s and Polk sub
post #6584 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Having some problems, hope somebody can help. Until a few days ago, Airplay via iTunes was working fine and then just stopped working, though iTunes still sees my AVR-1713 and I can select it, but when I try to play nothing happens. I thought it was an iTunes issue, but have now noticed internet radio is not working either. I've shut everything down, reset my network, etc. to no results. Any ideas?
post #6585 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Seriously considering to buy the 3313ci, mainly because of its 3 HDMI outputs:

It will be used with 3 devices:
- HDMI1 : Living room - Main HDTV with Energy home theater speakers connected to the receiver (5.1)
- HDMI2 : Bedroom - Onkyo NR609 receiver with 5.1 speakers and HDTV
- HDMI3 : Living room - LCD monitor with integrated speakers (2.1)
Note: i only want video with HDMI3 device because it will be used in the same room than my energy speakers. I just use this monitor to see the TV image when i'm working on my computer in the living room. It is always used at same time than HDMI1 HDTV so i get the sound through the connected home theater speakers

What i want to do :
- Output video through 3 hdmi outputs at same time
- Output audio to the connected home theater speakers only when HDMI1 HDTV on
- When playing a movie in bedroom (HDMI2) i don't want sound in the living room (on the HT speakers connected to the receiver)
In other words, i want to be able to output audio on HDMI2 and on my energy speakers connected to the receiver at same time, but the energy HT speakers should be playing audio ONLY if the HDMI1 HDTV is open. When i'm playing a movie in my bedroom (HDMI2) i want to get audio-video through HDMI2 but i don't want the energy home theater speakers (connected to the receiver) to play sound in the living room since the HDMI1 hdtv will be off.

I've read a lot of reviews on various websites but i still have a few questions

With this receiver am I able to output to 3 devices (audio and video) at same time ? Or just one at time ? It acts as a switch or a splitter ? I found these reviews which says, if i understand correctly, that i won't get audio on HDMI2 and HDMI3 when using HDMI1 at same time :
Quote:
The Monitor 1/2 HDMI outputs will not pass through the audio signal when playing on the main zone. This put a wrench in my plans to use the zone 1 output as input source for an HDMI splitter to other rooms. The audio for these Zone 1 HDMI outs can be configured one of two ways.. either to pass through the HDMI audio(assuming you would use optical audio?) or intercept(no output) the HDMI audio and play on the main zone. Note: Zone 2 HDMI out passes through the audio for the chosen zone 2 HDMI source.
Quote:
both HDMI parallel monitor outputs can be configured to either play back the audio through the speakers connected to the AVR or can be configured to send the audio to the HDMI device connected to the AVR, but not BOTH at the same time! Bummer, as that prevents pass through as you indicated in your review.
So this means i can't configure to get audio on HDMI2 (bedroom) if my receiver is configured to send audio through the speakers connected to the AVR ?

The LCD monitor on HDMI3 has integrated speakers (2.1). Is it possible to desactivate audio on this HDMI Output so it sends only video ? Or else i will get 2.1 sound on the other 2 outputs since the lowest common denominator will be 2.1

Still same question as above:
Now the only thing i'm concerned about is that when i play a movie in the bedroom (HDMI2) i don't want the living room speakers to play sound. Is there a way to force the receiver to output audio to the connected speakers only when living room TV (HDMI1) is open ? Opening the TV connected to HDMI1 would activate the home theater speakers, and closing the HDMI1 TV would turn them off even if devices on HDMI2 or HDMI3 are still open.

i'm confused about this:
Quote:
Multi-room Audio/Video:
» three-room/three-source output
• two independent HDMI video zones
• powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd or 3rd room (using powered 2nd or 3rd output allows 5.1 home theatre in main room)
• optical and coaxial digital audio sources are not output to Zones 2 and 3
Does this means that i will only be able to get stereo on my other devices ?

A reviewer also said that the 3313 has bad sound quality and said to go with the sr6007 instead. What you think ?

Sorry for asking so much questions but this is a big investment
post #6586 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the great advice. I'm considering buying either a 3313 or a 2313 and was hoping to get some feedback from you about which is better. Can you please let me know which one you'd recommend?

Here is some more info about our setup.

1. We have a plasma screen TV.

2. We'll have 4 HDMI inputs: a) Comcast, b) Apple TV, c) BluRay player, d) PS3

3. We have a 5.1 Vienna Acoustics speaker system (Haydn bookshelf speakers, center channel speaker, surround sound speakers, subwoofer)

4. Our home has 5 other sets of speakers (2 speakers/set) that are on the walls in different rooms throughout our home. We're going to set them all up as just 1 other zone, which we can use during parties.

5. It's unlikely that we'll ever need to blast our speakers since we have to little daughters and don't like to turn the sound up too much around them.
post #6587 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 12
I have a general question for those of you out there who have a Denon AVR, I have the 2313CI, and I'm really happy with it, but not sure I'm using it right when it comes to music.
When I use the AppleTV and play my music from my iTunes library on it, it doesn't seem to sound as good as the same music that plays from my Mac computer through a 2.1 Logitech THX system.
The computer has 2 small left and right speakers and then a subwoofer below the desk, and music sounds really good, well to me. I have the volume on the bass setting to about 50% so the subwoofer kind of thumps. Some of you audiophiles might think that sounds bad/cheap or Dr. Dre Beats-ish, but I like to hear and feel some thump especially if the music uses it that way such as some R&B and Rap etc...

Well that same music doesn't sound half as good coming out my 2313 and my nice Klipsch RF3 II's & KSW 12. In fact, I don't even think the subwoofer kicks on during most music, in stereo mode, but even those RF3 II's should have some kick to them as well. But yet the music sounds flat, and not as loud etc...and I usually have to crank up the volume near -54.0 or so to get it kind of loud.

So I'm wondering if I have done something wrong? I've setup the Auduessy stuff, and it sounds good and speakers work well when watching movies with the BluRay palyer etc...so I know the system works fine, so its got to be something I'm not doing right when listening to music. Surely the music can be played using a 2.1 setup right?

"Help me Obi-wan AudioGeeks, you're my only hope..."
post #6588 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 PM

My 1913 does not dislay a code when I try to set up a new pand acct. Nor will it let me use my existing pand account. Just says refer follow instructions on GUI, but there are none. Attempts to update firmware result in nothing (except a long delay). Everything else works very well, including Inet radio.

After posting:
Next day, setup allowed a firmware update. That fixed the Pandora prob, and added Spotify. Everything is great now.
post #6589 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I noticed one change with the "fix" for Pandora in the latest firmware update for the 3313CI. It no longer shows the bit rate of the incoming music stream. It still shows it as MP3, but that's it. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is, but I rather liked seeing it.

By the way, is Denon going to add a progress bar to the display to show how far along the track is? I realize it shows the current time in the track, but I would sure like to see a progress bar like what is shown on the web-based interface to Pandora.
post #6590 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I have a general question for those of you out there who have a Denon AVR, I have the 2313CI, and I'm really happy with it, but not sure I'm using it right when it comes to music.
When I use the AppleTV and play my music from my iTunes library on it, it doesn't seem to sound as good as the same music that plays from my Mac computer through a 2.1 Logitech THX system.
The computer has 2 small left and right speakers and then a subwoofer below the desk, and music sounds really good, well to me. I have the volume on the bass setting to about 50% so the subwoofer kind of thumps. Some of you audiophiles might think that sounds bad/cheap or Dr. Dre Beats-ish, but I like to hear and feel some thump especially if the music uses it that way such as some R&B and Rap etc...

Well that same music doesn't sound half as good coming out my 2313 and my nice Klipsch RF3 II's & KSW 12. In fact, I don't even think the subwoofer kicks on during most music, in stereo mode, but even those RF3 II's should have some kick to them as well. But yet the music sounds flat, and not as loud etc...and I usually have to crank up the volume near -54.0 or so to get it kind of loud.

So I'm wondering if I have done something wrong? I've setup the Auduessy stuff, and it sounds good and speakers work well when watching movies with the BluRay palyer etc...so I know the system works fine, so its got to be something I'm not doing right when listening to music. Surely the music can be played using a 2.1 setup right?

"Help me Obi-wan AudioGeeks, you're my only hope..."

With a sub in your setup, ensure your speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz. This will ensure the sub fires with music playing as well as provide more headroom to the speakers and also take advantage of the Audyssey sub EQ control points as there are 8x more used than speaker control points.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #6591 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparkmit View Post

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the great advice. I'm considering buying either a 3313 or a 2313 and was hoping to get some feedback from you about which is better. Can you please let me know which one you'd recommend?

Here is some more info about our setup.

1. We have a plasma screen TV.

2. We'll have 4 HDMI inputs: a) Comcast, b) Apple TV, c) BluRay player, d) PS3

3. We have a 5.1 Vienna Acoustics speaker system (Haydn bookshelf speakers, center channel speaker, surround sound speakers, subwoofer)

4. Our home has 5 other sets of speakers (2 speakers/set) that are on the walls in different rooms throughout our home. We're going to set them all up as just 1 other zone, which we can use during parties.

5. It's unlikely that we'll ever need to blast our speakers since we have to little daughters and don't like to turn the sound up too much around them.

These are 4-ohm speakers which will require more power to drive than more common 8-ohm speakers. At average "TV" listening volume levels (eg. -30db to -20db) either model should work well, although the 3313CI has 7.2 pre-outs and can be used for an external amp if necessary for louder "movie" listening levels. Although as you didn't use the "CI" suffix on either model, if you are referring to non-USA/CA models, then the 2313 would also have a full set of 7.2 pre-outs as well.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #6592 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacdo05 View Post

Having some problems, hope somebody can help. Until a few days ago, Airplay via iTunes was working fine and then just stopped working, though iTunes still sees my AVR-1713 and I can select it, but when I try to play nothing happens. I thought it was an iTunes issue, but have now noticed internet radio is not working either. I've shut everything down, reset my network, etc. to no results. Any ideas?

Try doing both resets as noted in post #5 of this thread. Also note the tips in the following post ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L1

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #6593 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchoi View Post

Seriously considering to buy the 3313ci, mainly because of its 3 HDMI outputs:

As noted in the quotes you posted .... MONITOR 1/2 are "mirror" outputs, and therefore can only display the same source video (either on both outputs or one or the other) with the audio being played by the main zone surround speakers or by the TV's speakers but not both at the same time. The Zone 2(HDMI) output can display another source (audio/video) independent from what is playing on either MONITOR 1/2 outputs. Bottom line is only 2 HDMI video sources at a time. The 3313CI supports 3 independent "audio" zones.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #6594 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:

With a sub in your setup, ensure your speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz. This will ensure the sub fires with music playing as well as provide more headroom to the speakers and also take advantage of the Audyssey sub EQ control points as there are 8x more used than speaker control points.

Ok, thanks dsmoothie, I'll check that out. Thank you.
post #6595 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Ok, so it was set to Large, I changed that, to Small. There are so many other settings in there where the 80hz can be changed, do I set them all to 80hz? It does sound better now, and the subwoofer comes one with the music now. I changed the bass level on the back of my sub too, so I do feel some extra bass/thump now.

I just want to make sure my other settings are set right, in that menu. Is there something in the FAQs that will tell me how to set those?
post #6596 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Awesome,. got it working. Thanks!
post #6597 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Liked: 42
I have a 1913 and can not figure out how to change sound modes.

I thought the receiver automatically detected the best mode but I clicked movie on the remote and it changed to pro logic II. Then today I am doing the same thing and it will only go to multi channel in.

This is for a blu ray...

Am I doing something wrong? WHy is it doing this?
post #6598 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 479
chris, set your crossovers Front, Center and Surround (Advanced) to 80Hz, or leave them if they are higher...subwoofer mode to LFE and LPF for LFE to 120Hz

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #6599 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 479
chris, oh yeah, set you Sub back where it was, if you can remember, listen a week or so, if you still want more Bass, adjust the Channel Level up on your AVR

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #6600 of 10921 Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

chris, set your crossovers Front, Center and Surround (Advanced) to 80Hz, or leave them if they are higher...subwoofer mode to LFE and LPF for LFE to 120Hz

I think they were higher, but now I can't remember, I've dorked with it too much. I thought maybe they were 120hz?
I listened to some music with bass, and it sounded good, but still had to push up the volume in the -60+ is that normal?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page