The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 277 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8281 of 10855 Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Nobody will confirm because its not a global issue, likely some setting got changed coincidentally with the firmware update. Tell us more about your setup, 5.1 or 7.1 etc? DD + PLIIx C means its trying to take a 5.1 DD audio track and expand it to 7.1 by adding back surrounds. Nothing in a firmware update would affect that unless some other setting (eg your speaker config) got changed for some reason.

I've got a 7.1 setup, but I always have. I wondering if one of my kids might have changed a setting somehow. I have the Denon remote app on my ipad and they mess with that.

Does that change effect the sound quality at all? I'd rather the true source if possible, but I don't mind if its just as good quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 10855 Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
^^
The setting that you're seeing now is the correct setting, passing the Dolby Digital signal to your 5 main speakers and simulating the audio to the rear surrounds. If you only saw Dolby Digital on the front panel display previously then your rear speakers weren't likely receiving any audio. eek.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8283 of 10855 Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Is there a feature in the 2313CI that can detect a mobile phone call and mute output? I can't figure out how this is happening, but it started after upgrading speakers, amp and receiver in my 2 channel, music only system. It's probably not the speakers or amp, definitely not the Bluejeans interconnects smile.gif It only happens on incoming calls, further adding to the mystery. Very cool, but my inner geek is having coping issues until I find out how this works.

post #8284 of 10855 Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Recently picked up a 3313 and have it connected to a comcast cable box and a brand nee Samsung smart TV via HDMI through the receiver.

The smart TV is also connected to the receiver via optical digital output for smart TV apps like Netflix.

I even have it set up so the TV remote powers on the receiver along with the TV, the TV remote controls the volume on the receiver, and it works great.

HOWEVER - when I turn off the TV (and receiver goes to standby) with the receiver source set to cab/sat, the next time I turn it on, the source switches to TV Audio, and the TV, while set to the correct HDMI input from the receiver, gets no signal (because the receiver is set to an audio only source and is not passing through any video signal.

Is there a way to ensure that the receiver stays on cab/sat source on powering up from standby?

Is it the optical cable being noticed,made spite no sound from the TV?

Is the TV telling the receiver to switch to TV audio? E.g., is it a TV setting or receiver setting?

I'd really like the one touch operation for the family so they don't have to switch inputs on the receiver just to watch TV.

Thanks for any help.

- Dan

- Dan
post #8285 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Yes, it's the tv... This is when HDMI CEC goes from being useful to annoying.. You have to turn off Anynet+; this is often discussed and covered in the troubleshooting info at the beginning of the thread.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8286 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Is there a feature in the 2313CI that can detect a mobile phone call and mute output? I can't figure out how this is happening, but it started after upgrading speakers, amp and receiver in my 2 channel, music only system. It's probably not the speakers or amp, definitely not the Bluejeans interconnects smile.gif It only happens on incoming calls, further adding to the mystery. Very cool, but my inner geek is having coping issues until I find out how this works.

No, but do keep us updated when you find the cause. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #8287 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I have a 1713 running 2 Def. Tech. Promonitor 800's a Procenter 1000, and a Prosub 800. I have also noticed that I have to turn it up pretty high to make it loud. Between 45 and 60 for movies and music. I figured this was normal because the relatively low wattage of the 1713 and small speakersn but now I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?
post #8288 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I have a 1713 running 2 Def. Tech. Promonitor 800's a Procenter 1000, and a Prosub 800. I have also noticed that I have to turn it up pretty high to make it loud. Between 45 and 60 for movies and music. I figured this was normal because the relatively low wattage of the 1713 and small speakersn but now I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

As long as your speakers sound good (clean and without distortion) at the numeric value the receiver displays, you're good.

Don't worry about the 1713 being 90 watts. To get a small 3dB volume increase, you have to double the amp power to 180 watts. wink.gif
post #8289 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any thoughts?

It's normal and has nothing to do with wattage. With a calibrated Denon receiver it doesn't matter if it has 500 watts or 50 watts -- the same number on the volume dial will produce the same output because the volume of the system is calibrated to a specific value during Audyssey. Note that if you use Dynamic Volume it will make the system "sound" louder because of the compression so you will not have to turn it as high to hear softer stuff, but the expense of dampening the dynamics (a worthy trade off in certain situations).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8290 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No, but do keep us updated when you find the cause. smile.gif

Mystery solved. Since my computer is directly connected to the receiver I needed a workable option to control playback within apps like Spotify and Google Music (there is already an excellent remote control foobar2000 app) from my Android smartphone. My search led me to Unified Remote, which contains both server and client utilities. An optional setting is to send phone events to the server, default is on. It only works for some remotes (foobar & spotify yes, Google Music no), and for incoming calls, but overall a pretty cool feature, and I'll be requesting feature enhancements. Another benefit, if using my tablet and not my phone it will still alert the server and mute volume if a call comes in.

post #8291 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

As long as your speakers sound good (clean and without distortion) at the numeric value the receiver displays, you're good.

Don't worry about the 1713 being 90 watts. To get a small 3dB volume increase, you have to double the amp power to 180 watts. wink.gif

Thanks for the advice. I am still pretty new to the audio game.

The speakers sound awesome...so clean. I am really happy with the sound.

Honestly they get pretty loud too. By the time you get to 70 they are cranking (but still sound pristine). At the time being I can't turn it up louder than that anyways because I live in a townhouse.
post #8292 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's normal and has nothing to do with wattage. With a calibrated Denon receiver it doesn't matter if it has 500 watts or 50 watts -- the same number on the volume dial will produce the same output because the volume of the system is calibrated to a specific value during Audyssey. Note that if you use Dynamic Volume it will make the system "sound" louder because of the compression so you will not have to turn it as high to hear softer stuff, but the expense of dampening the dynamics (a worthy trade off in certain situations).

That is Interesting.

I am using Audessey Flat EQ with Dynamic EQ on but I keep Dynamic Volume off for music. As a musician I know how hard producers and sound engineers work to maintain the natural dynamics of a mix and I would never want to tamper with that.

For cable TV I have dynamic volume set to "light". This helps even out the inconsistencies from broadcast to broadcast so I don't have to costantly adjust the volume. It is especially helpful for commercials.

I haven't experimented with movies as much but I am guessing I will keep it off for bluray. As with music, i don't want to mess with the "mix".

I do rather like the DynamicEQ setting on. It really seems to bring the sound to life.
post #8293 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I keep dynamic volume off for music. As a musician I know how hard producers and sound engineers work to maintain the natural dynamics of a mix and I would never want to tamper with that.

For TV I have dynamic volume set to "light". This helps even out the inconsistencies from broadcast to broadcast so I don't have to costantly adjust the volume. Especially for commercials.

I haven't experimented with movies as much but I am guessing I will keep it off for bluray. As with music, i don't want to mess with the "mix".

One could say by listening at any level below references (way to loud for me!) You are messing with the mix because it was mixed at reference level for reference level playback. Dynamic eq is trying to compensate for us listening below reference level. Give it a try, if you don't like it, I owe you a coke. wink.gif
post #8294 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No coke needed, he already said he likes Dynamic EQ wink.gif he was talking about Dynamic Volume!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8295 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No coke needed, he already said he likes Dynamic EQ wink.gif he was talking about Dynamic Volume!

Yeah, he added the last sentence in a edit after I quoted. wink.gif

For me there's no going back once one gets used to dynamic eq along with being able to add dynamic volume when needed.
post #8296 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Yeah, he added the last sentence in a edit after I quoted. wink.gif

For me there's no going back once one gets used to dynamic eq along with being able to add dynamic volume when needed.

yup I agree. I love the Dynamic EQ
post #8297 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Any thoughts?

It's important to note that on average your speakers use <5W/CH so no where close to the full power of the 1713.
toddRiffic likes this.

post #8298 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by martytoo View Post

I have recently realized that the front panel USB slot on my 2313 allows a USB stick to access and play .flac lossless audio through the Denon. So here is my dilemma. Do I try to format an existing Western Digital or Seagate drive in fat32 to play these files or is this a lost cause.

I know that in theory I can stream files from hard drive connected to a movie streamer ( NeoTV, Dlink Movie Pluse, ROKU3 or Western Digital WTV). Most of these streamers have mixed reviews for audio streaming. For example, the Western Digital is supposed to be very slow in showing the titles on the hard drive. This is to the point of people returning these for a refund.

In addition there is a line of Western Digital network ready hard drives that is supposed to be able to set up a DLNA server. If this worked it would be recognized and played on the Denon.

So there are the three options.

Plug a hard drive into the Denon
Plug the hard drive into a movie streaming device
Use a network hard drive as a means to DLNA the audio to the Denon.

Which will be the easiest to use?

I want to update this by answering my own post. The easiest way to go is with a network HD. I set this up last night using a Western Digital MyBook LIve. I was able to play .flac files on the Denon in the Media Server selection. The built in "Twonky" server was recognized and played well on the Denon.

The 3TB WD Network Drive is on special at Staples this week. There is an online sale price about $13 less than the normal $180. In addition you can apply a 20% coupon in the bag discount to get this drive at a great price. I haven't tried to stream video yet, but will report back about that if anyone is interested. Some posters say that you need a "Gigabit" router to stream video.

Also of note, I was playing two songs last night at the same time. One on the Denon and on on my Android Galaxy Nexus phone. I think it may be possible to play three at once with the ROKU playing in one zone and the Media Server playing in the second zone while the phone also plays from the HD.
toddRiffic likes this.
post #8299 of 10855 Old 06-18-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ in sync? I admire your perseverance smile.gif I do the same, but use Logitech Squeezeboxes connected to each receiver.

The one bummer with these approaches is that the user experience is (or at least was) rudimentary. I haven't tried anything like that since the Squeezebox first came out. How is it, was it easy to access selections, genres, playlists?

Congrats on the solution!

post #8300 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM

I now have a weird problem with my AVR-2113 after upgrading my TV from a 720p 50" LG plasma, to a new 1080p 60" LG plasma (60PN6500 model). All other sources are looking great (better) but now my RoKu 3 image keeps flickering non-stop at both menu level and during playback. This is regardless if I choose a 720P or 1080p display type in the RoKu's Settings.

I've tried replacing the HDMI cable, using different HDMI inputs on the AVR but to no avail. I also hooked up the RoKu 3 directly to the TV using the same HDMI cable and the problem is gone, which tells me the problem lies in the AVR-2113 somehow (even if it used to work fine up until I replaced the TV). I have gone thru all the INPUT settings on the Denon AVR, the TV and the RoKU and I am out of ideas of what I could be missing. Please help me! frown.gif
post #8301 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If your Roko has a Deep Color Setting try setting it to off.
post #8302 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Time to upgrade everything. Bought a Oppo 103 to play my SACD's and DVD-A and blu-ray concerts which is 90% of what I'll use it for. Now it's time to replace my 3808 for a few reasons and one is so the HDMI's will pass through from ny directv without turning on the receiver. So I'm back and forth on the 3313 and the 2313. Running B&W 603's and 601's with a B&W center and a SVS PB12–Plus Sub. I'd say I'm mostly concerned with which receiver will benefit my oppo and SACD/DVD-A listening.

Touch every third person and you'll find stupid!

post #8303 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The 2313 and 3313 will sound essentially identical -- both have similar amp sections, same chassis, same MultEQ XT. So only spend extra for the 3313 if you want the extra features and expansion options.

Note that you can get HDMI passthrough on your 3808 by paying $100 for the "feature pack" upgrade which adds HDMI-CEC functionality.... this upgrade also adds Dynamic EQ/Volume, so you may just decide to keep your 3808 (unless you want some of the newer network features and/or 3D video support).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8304 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
585-645-1006

If you are able to connect the DirectTV HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR, you accomplish your goal of watching TV without powering on the AVR and would be better served keeping the 3808CI. As a number of Oppo owners have already reported, letting the Oppo convert the DSD and passing to the AVR as PCM will allow you to use Audyssey which will provide for a better experience over passing the DSD over HDMI and using DSD Direct.

post #8305 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If you want the best sound Quality get the 4311 discounted for around $1200-$1400.
The next best is the new Denon 4000x. with both having Audyssey Multi XT 32. $1200
If you are serious enthusiat and plan to add a sub I would go for 1 of those.
After that check out pg.1 of this forum for a detailed evaluation on the avr that will best suit you if you decide to change but the 3313 or 2313 would not be an upgrade in SQ.
post #8306 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Just ordered the 3313ci because my 2113ci wouldnt run my 4ohm speaker and didnt have pre amp outs. Really was liking the 2113 (less than 10 hours on it) so far. What kind of improvement will be noticable while jumping up to the 3313? Power is not too much of an issue because I will be using an amp.

Quick question regarding running an amp with a 7.2 receiver. My amp is 5 channel. Right now I will only be running 5.1, but if I decide to run 7.1 can I easily power the 5 speakers with the amp and then use the receivers 6 and 7 channels to power those speakers?

I have decided to sell/keep the 2113ci. Got a killler deal on it and after the 15% restocking fee and shipping it back to them it would be almost a third of the cost.. (may post in the sale section but if any potentional buyers are doing research in this thread on the xx13 models, I have on I may sell)

Also, with the 3313 can someone tell me the best way to use an OTA hd antenna? Right now it is plugged into the tv. It looks like you can not plug it into the receiver. So that leaves me with watching the antenna channels with only the tv speakers. (will be wall mounting so that adds another level of difficulty getting the antenna wired to the tv on the wall)
post #8307 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM
585-645-1006

1. Should be same experience as with the 2113CI.
2. Yes. You can mix pre-outs to amp with AVR powered speakers.
3. AVRs don't have TV tuners so the OTA antenna would have to go into the TV and connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR for DD 5.1 from the HD channels.

post #8308 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

1. Should be same experience as with the 2113CI.
2. Yes. You can mix pre-outs to amp with AVR powered speakers.
3. AVRs don't have TV tuners so the OTA antenna would have to go into the TV and connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR for DD 5.1 from the HD channels.

thanks for the help.

Do i need to splice the wire to the hd antenna or does someone make the ota antennas with longer than a 5 ft cord?

A few posters said they (2113 and 3313) will be same experience and sound the same. The 3313 is 4lbs heavier than the 2113. Where does that weight come from? I was thinking better components
post #8309 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The 3313 is physically larger (deeper chassis) with a beefier amp section (bigger power supply).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8310 of 10855 Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:

If you are able to connect the DirectTV HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR, you accomplish your goal of watching TV without powering on the AVR and would be better served keeping the 3808CI. As a number of Oppo owners have already reported, letting the Oppo convert the DSD and passing to the AVR as PCM will allow you to use Audyssey which will provide for a better experience over passing the DSD over HDMI and using DSD Direct.

That's what I've done for years now but would like to have less cables and all hdmi.

Touch every third person and you'll find stupid!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page