The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8731 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, Only saw SP as first relpy. Thanks to all for input. Will go later & see about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNdad View Post

Sorry, Only saw SP as first relpy. Thanks to all for input. Will go later & see about it.

sounds like you have a VERY good price...

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #8733 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Just got a notice of a firmware update for the 1713 and loading it now....

I have a 1613 and just got a firmware update as well, updating right now, what did it change for you?
post #8734 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post

I have a 1613 and just got a firmware update as well, updating right now, what did it change for you?

Nothing that I've been able to determine yet....but I haven't been digging much.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #8735 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Most firmware updates aren't going to change anything obvious, usually bug fixes (e.g. HDMI handshake problems with certain cable boxes or network connectivity issues) and background stuff. So you aren't likely to see anything. JD will post the changelog info in post #6 of this thread when he gets it.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8736 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Likely the same update the 3313CI just received last week on the 18th. Review post #6 of this thread for the 3313CI until I can update the post for your specific models.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8737 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 PM

JD, Batpig, (again), just got back from mortar store re: 3313ci open box. It was mislabeled --- asit is missing everything. I know the newer remotes cannot control other devices so my question (concern) is will my 2310 remote (RC1117) work with 3313 and will the microphone (DM-A409) work (with DSX) ? Still haggling on price. Thanks again !
post #8738 of 10593 Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM
585-645-1006

Although the 2310CI mic will work with the 3313CI, there will be commands missing on the remote that will be needed, so you would be better served picking up a Harmony remote to not only replace the Denon remote but your other device remotes as well.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8739 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 AM

Hey guys, I wonder if you can help! I've got an AVR-2113 (upgraded from an AVR-1909) and unless I have dynamic volume set to medium, system volume (on any input) is horrendously low. I have to set the receiver to -15dB just to get my subwoofer to kick-in from standby — even higher to watch a film at an enjoyable volume. Tried a reset, recalibration, and this week's firmware update to no avail. Is this a widespread issue or is it just me? Thanks! biggrin.gif
post #8740 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
netgem21,

Your symptoms are consistent with the subwoofer trim being set too low in the receiver.

Did you check the trim level that the calibration set for your subwoofer? Remember that if it's pegged at -12dB, the subwoofer's own volume control knob is set too high and Audyssey couldn't turn the receiver's output down far enough to get a valid calibration. A trim level closer to 0dB will produce a higher receiver output which will be more easily detected by the subwoofer's auto-on circuits.

Please take the time to review the Audyssey FAQ and 101 at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993 The instructions in the receiver's manual are overly simplified.
netgem21 likes this.

Selden
post #8741 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

netgem21,

Your symptoms are consistent with the subwoofer trim being set too low in the receiver.

Did you check the trim level that the calibration set for your subwoofer? Remember that if it's pegged at -12dB, the subwoofer's own volume control knob is set too high and Audyssey couldn't turn the receiver's output down far enough to get a valid calibration. A trim level closer to 0dB will produce a higher receiver output which will be more easily detected by the subwoofer's auto-on circuits.

Please take the time to review the Audyssey FAQ and 101 at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993 The instructions in the receiver's manual are overly simplified.

Thank you for your reply, Selden Ball. Yes, I noticed it was set to -12dB. I set the sub's volume at 50%, as Audyssey instructed, but it was still incredibly thumpy. I manually reduced the sub's volume but didn't adjust the trim setting on the AVR. Would this affect the output of the other channels, though? They're all set at 0dB. If so, I'll re-calibrate on a lower setting and report back.
post #8742 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgem21 View Post

Quote:

netgem21,

Thank you for your reply, Selden Ball. Yes, I noticed it was set to -12dB. I set the sub's volume at 50%, as Audyssey instructed, but it was still incredibly thumpy. I manually reduced the sub's volume but didn't adjust the trim setting on the AVR. Would this affect the output of the other channels, though? They're all set at 0dB. If so, I'll re-calibrate on a lower setting and report back.

You're welcome.

You shouldn't need to adjust the trim levels in the receiver until after you've listened to it for a few days and decided you don't like the sound. Be sure to follow the microphone placement guidelines in the Audyssey 101 guidelines mentioned above. When the microphone is too close to an obstruction (back wall, chair back, sofa seat, etc) the resulting "calibration" won't be very good. After following the guidelines, if the calibration results in audio that is still way out of whack, it could be that you have a defective microphone.

You do need to re-run Audyssey's calibration each time you turn down the sub's own volume control knob. You only have to run the first calibration point (at the main listening position) so you can check the trim level. If the trim's OK, then run a full 8-point calibration.

The calibrations of the other speaker channels won't change if the microphone positions are exactly the same each time. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to get the positions exactly the same. Using a $20 boom microphone stand makes it quite a bit easier.

In principle, you should get much better sound once your sub has been properly calibrated and you've set all the other speaker channels set to "Small" (i.e. enable bass management) so that their low frequencies are redirected to the sub.

Again, please review the Audyssey FAQ. It explains all this in much more detail.
netgem21 likes this.

Selden
post #8743 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:

You're welcome.

You shouldn't need to adjust the trim levels in the receiver until after you've listened to it for a few days and decided you don't like the sound. Be sure to follow the microphone placement guidelines in the Audyssey 101 guidelines mentioned above. When the microphone is too close to an obstruction (back wall, chair back, sofa seat, etc) the resulting "calibration" won't be very good. After following the guidelines, if the calibration results in audio that is still way out of whack, it could be that you have a defective microphone.

You do need to re-run Audyssey's calibration each time you turn down the sub's own volume control knob. You only have to run the first calibration point (at the main listening position) so you can check the trim level. If the trim's OK, then run a full 8-point calibration.

The calibrations of the other speaker channels won't change if the microphone positions are exactly the same each time. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to get the positions exactly the same. Using a $20 boom microphone stand makes it quite a bit easier.

In principle, you should get much better sound once your sub has been properly calibrated and you've set all the other speaker channels set to "Small" (i.e. enable bass management) so that their low frequencies are redirected to the sub.

Again, please review the Audyssey FAQ. It explains all this in much more detail.

OK, will do. But do you think this is directly related to the low volume issue I'm experiencing through the other channels?

Again, it's very puzzling as they're all set to 0dB. With dynamic volume, they sound totally normal. But when dynamic volume is disabled, they drop right down to almost inaudible levels.
post #8744 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really not sure what would be causing the difference you're hearing that Dynamic Volume would correct for. Normally it's used to reduce the difference between the quietest and loudest noises, reducing the sound level of explosions without reducing the sound level of dialog.

However, what is the master volume setting on the receiver?

"Reference" is either 80 or 0 depending on if you're using "absolute" or "relative" volume display. Most people listen to movies at about 55 or -25, respectively. Listening below reference usually means that Dynamic EQ (not Dynamic Volume) needs to be enabled to recover the apparent volume level of the lowest and highest frequencies -- and the lowest frequencies presumably would be coming from your sub, which is essentially disabled until the low frequencies are boosted substantially.

What crossover frequencies are being used for your speakers?

If they're rather high (100 Hz or more), the sub not coming on might be part of the problem.
netgem21 likes this.

Selden
post #8745 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvolps22 View Post

I hooked up my refurbished AVR-1713 last night and after playing around with pandora and making sure everything was working properly I hooked up my Nexus 7 (Android tablet) to the ipod/usb connection in the front. The receiver said No Connection on the front and wouldn't play the audio from it. Do these receivers support the Android platform for music? I will say I wasn't using the Google Music app but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Any help?
post #8746 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgem21 View Post

Again, it's very puzzling as they're all set to 0dB. With dynamic volume, they sound totally normal. But when dynamic volume is disabled, they drop right down to almost inaudible levels.

It's pretty odd that they're all set to 0dB. You have calibrated with Audyssey right? And they all came out EXACTLY at 0dB???

You definitely need to lower the volume on the subwoofer (try 1/4 way instead of 1/2 way) and re-run calibration.

Dynamic Volume will definitely boost the "apparent loudness" as it not only reduces loud sounds, but also raises up the soft stuff (dialogue, ambient noise). So in a sense it's totally normal to have to raise the volume considerably if you turn it off. Either way you should be using Dynamic EQ for the reasons Selden discusses above.

Before we go any further, can you define more precisely what volume levels you are using. Let's try and get a reference point to understand if what you are experiencing is normal. Take a typical Blu-ray action movie for example. With Dyn EQ ON / Dyn Vol OFF, what volume level do you need to get to "movie night" volume where it's loud enough to be enjoyable and rocking? If the answer is anywhere between -25 to -10 (relative) / 55-70 (absolute) then nothing is wrong, that is totally normal.
netgem21 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8747 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I'm really not sure what would be causing the difference you're hearing that Dynamic Volume would correct for. Normally it's used to reduce the difference between the quietest and loudest noises, reducing the sound level of explosions without reducing the sound level of dialog.

However, what is the master volume setting on the receiver?

"Reference" is either 80 or 0 depending on if you're using "absolute" or "relative" volume display. Most people listen to movies at about 55 or -25, respectively. Listening below reference usually means that Dynamic EQ (not Dynamic Volume) needs to be enabled to recover the apparent volume level of the lowest and highest frequencies -- and the lowest frequencies presumably would be coming from your sub, which is essentially disabled until the low frequencies are boosted substantially.

What crossover frequencies are being used for your speakers?

If they're rather high (100 Hz or more), the sub not coming on might be part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

It's pretty odd that they're all set to 0dB. You have calibrated with Audyssey right? And they all came out EXACTLY at 0dB???

You definitely need to lower the volume on the subwoofer (try 1/4 way instead of 1/2 way) and re-run calibration.

Dynamic Volume will definitely boost the "apparent loudness" as it not only reduces loud sounds, but also raises up the soft stuff (dialogue, ambient noise). So in a sense it's totally normal to have to raise the volume considerably if you turn it off. Either way you should be using Dynamic EQ for the reasons Selden discusses above.

Before we go any further, can you define more precisely what volume levels you are using. Let's try and get a reference point to understand if what you are experiencing is normal. Take a typical Blu-ray action movie for example. With Dyn EQ ON / Dyn Vol OFF, what volume level do you need to get to "movie night" volume where it's loud enough to be enjoyable and rocking? If the answer is anywhere between -25 to -10 (relative) / 55-70 (absolute) then nothing is wrong, that is totally normal.

I calibrated with Audyssey initially, but I brought up the levels to 0dB to help alleviate the volume issue. With my previous receiver (AVR-1909), most Blu-rays played at a comfortable volume of around -35 or an 'immersive' volume of around -20. However, with the AVR-2113, I'm having to set a comfortable volume of around -15 and an 'immersive' volume usually around +5/+10, which obviously isn't a great idea. However, with Dynamic Volume enabled, everything plays as expected, like my old receiver.

I have Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, and MultiEQ all enabled (...as far as I know. Can't quite remember the names, but everything in that menu is switched on with Dyn Vol set to Medium).

It just seems strange to me that this receiver has a higher output (+10W/channel) than my old receiver, yet produces a considerably lower volume. As for the sub, I'm not so worried about the automatic kick-in, as it has manual control too, but it's just reflective of the overall channel output being low.

Is there a 'hard reset' option for this AVR? I'm wondering if that might help. Thanks again guys, really appreciate your help with this.
post #8748 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

netgem21,

I'm really starting to believe you have a defective microphone. The whole point of calibrating is that if your speakers and room are unchanged, you are supposed to hear the same sound level at the same volume setting no matter which Audyssey receiver you have.

A difference of 10 Watts cannot produce an audible difference. Also they use different measurement techniques, so the supposed 10 Watt difference might not exist at all.

A microprocessor reset followed by a recalibration might help

Edited to add:
How to do a reset is descriged on page 148 of your owner's manual.
netgem21 likes this.

Selden
post #8749 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
However, with the AVR-2113, I'm having to set a comfortable volume of around -15 and an 'immersive' volume usually around +5/+10, which obviously isn't a great idea.

This is definitely abnormal. I would do a microprocessor reset, instructions are in the manual.

On a side note, more power won't (or shouldn't) change the volume display after calibration. The point of calibration is to establish all speakers at a specific volume level. More power means more headroom, i.e. you can turn it up higher before it starts clipping/distorting.
netgem21 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8750 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:

netgem21,

I'm really starting to believe you have a defective microphone. The whole point of calibrating is that if your speakers and room are unchanged, you are supposed to hear the same sound level at the same volume setting no matter which Audyssey receiver you have.

A difference of 10 Watts cannot produce an audible difference. Also they use different measurement techniques, so the supposed 10 Watt difference might not exist at all.

A microprocessor reset followed by a recalibration might help

I might give that a go then. How do I go about doing a full reset? Also, I still have the calibration microphone from my AVR-1909. Do you think this will work for the calibration if the new one is defective?

Still, this volume thing confuses me. Even if I bypass Audyssey and manually set the levels all to 0dB, the volume is still incredibly low. Have you experienced this issue yourself, by any chance?
post #8751 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

This is definitely abnormal. I would do a microprocessor reset, instructions are in the manual.

On a side note, more power won't (or shouldn't) change the volume display after calibration. The point of calibration is to establish all speakers at a specific volume level. More power means more headroom, i.e. you can turn it up higher before it starts clipping/distorting.

Thanks, batpig. I'm gonna give that reset another shot. Of note, I've noticed several people have posted on AVForums exhibiting similar issues with severely reduced volume (on this page). I'm wondering if I'm having the same issue?
post #8752 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I edited my reponse above to include the reset instructions, copy-and-pasted from the manual.

My audio system sounds appropriately loud. (I don't have the same equipment you do.)

Is there any chance you've accidentally enabled one of the Mute levels?
There's Full, -40dB and -20dB.
Your sound level is consistent with a 20dB reduction, perhaps.
See page 103 of the manual.

There's also the "Power On Volume" setting which is adjustable. See page 123.
netgem21 likes this.

Selden
post #8753 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:

I edited my reponse above to include the reset instructions, copy-and-pasted from the manual.

My audio system sounds appropriately loud. (I don't have the same equipment you do.)

Is there any chance you've accidentally enabled one of the Mute levels?
There's Full, -40dB and -20dB.
Your sound level is consistent with a 20dB reduction, perhaps.
See page 103 of the manual.

Nope, checked that. Mute levels are normal. Just tried to post regarding this issue, but I think it was blocked because of the inclusion of a link. I found some people over at AVForums who I think seem to be having similar issues (bit [period] ly/14gP27w).
post #8754 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. Have you tried disabling the subwoofer or setting the fronts to large? (Assuming it's the same problem.) Note that a Factory Reset is not the same as a Microprocessor Reset. D&M usually don't document how to do a factory reset, although people often manage to find out what it is and post it here.
netgem21 likes this.

Selden
post #8755 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Hmm. Have you tried disabling the subwoofer or setting the fronts to large? (Assuming it's the same problem.) Note that a Factory Reset is not the same as a Microprocessor Reset. D&M usually don't document how to do a factory reset, although people often manage to find out what it is and post it here.

Ah, well I've definitely performed the microprocessor reset to no avail then. Not sure how to perform the full factory reset, however. I haven't tried disabling the subwoofer or setting the fronts to large, but I'll give it a go when I get home.
post #8756 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

There's also a "network reset" which supposedly does more than just resetting the network logic. See post #5 on the first page of this thread. Maybe it'll help.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq#post_21995260
netgem21 likes this.

Selden
post #8757 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:

There's also a "network reset" which supposedly does more than just resetting the network logic. See post #5 on the first page of this thread. Maybe it'll help.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq#post_21995260

Thanks, I'll give that a go too!
post #8758 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Hoped this was going to be a feel good story about the open box 3313. I did get it today for $499. No remote or mic. Had everything hooked up but video out started acting erratic from the get go. TV kept losing video & flashing different colors. AVR would seem to "lock up" and only way to power down was unplug. (Isn't the red light supposed to stay on when off (for stdy) ?Have all input unplugged & just trying to get menu to show up on any of the HDMI outs. Am I missing something ? Planning on just returning it tomorrow as I don't need this from the start. Unless someone can tell me what D/A mistake I've made. I can't even get throught the setup w/o it flaking out.
post #8759 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 PM
585-645-1006

As is the case with any used unit, the first step is to reset the microprocessor (p. 176 OM). Also note that the "red" light above the ON/Standby button will only remain on if HMDI Control or Network Standby/IP Control is set to ON otherwise it will be OFF in Standby.

post #8760 of 10593 Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 PM

THanks, JD. Yes I did reset at least a dozen times, knowing the HDMI can be that way. I'm not sure how to check HDMI control on/off wiithout the GUI screen. the front panel only shows so much that I can see.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page