The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 295 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8821 of 10902 Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

What is HTPC, what would I need to do/buy?

Can I use DLNA to transfer videos?

I think you are the first person in history to know what DLNA means but NOT to know what an HTPC is. tongue.gif

HTPC = Home Theater PC, or a computer that you use (mostly) dedicated to streaming video, music, etc. to a home theater system.

What JD was suggesting was that, if your computer is close enough to the AV setup, that you could make a direct video connection instead of trying to put the video files on a USB stick. If your PC isn't anywhere near your AV system then it probably won't work and you will need some intermediary solution.

In terms of your question, whether it's Airplay, DLNA, USB interface, etc. the receiver is simply not set up to stream computer video files. It's basically an audio streaming solution only. You should check though as many other devices like Blu-ray players, PS3, etc. have a USB port that can stream video, so you might already own something that will work even if the receiver can't do it directly.

Quote:
My TV has a USB as well...would that work? I guess the problem with that is it wouldn't circulate the audio through the AVR, even if it did work?

Yes, that *should* work. You can pipe audio back to the AVR either by using the digital audio output on the back of your TV, or (if your TV is fairly recent) by using the ARC (audio return channel) feature to pipe audio back down the HDMI monitor connection.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 10902 Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1913 View Post

Hi, any idea when that might be? (I have the 1913)

Any day now I would imagine ....

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8823 of 10902 Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the Setup Guide post there is a download for "Optimizing Surround Speaker Distances" using either the 5.1 Audio Toolkit or Avia.

Does anyone know where I can get a similar test or even make one? (I'm pretty familiar with most audio recording program). I'd rather not spend $150 on the toolkit for just this one test. I do have the original Avia disc but I didn't see a test for this on there (I'm assuming this test is on a different Avia offering).

I have a noise generator program (White, Pink, Brown, etc...) and have a recording program that does 5.1.

Thanks!
post #8824 of 10902 Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What are you trying to do exactly? The Audyssey auto setup that is built into the receiver (which you already paid for) will already optimize speaker delays for you. Why do you need the additional equipment??

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8825 of 10902 Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

What are you trying to do exactly? The Audyssey auto setup that is built into the receiver (which you already paid for) will already optimize speaker delays for you. Why do you need the additional equipment??

Sorry...I'm a goof. I posted this in the wrong thread. :-) (I had both opened up on my computer).

What I'm trying to do is see if adjusting the delay/distance settings will have a preferable effect on my setup since right now it's not terribly "enveloping" (which I attribute to the speaker placement more than anything, which I unfortunately cannot change).

Since there was a Word .doc talking about optimizing speaker distances in the Audyssey thread I figured I could check it out.

I'll post my question where it belongs. Thanks!
post #8826 of 10902 Old 07-31-2013, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jords12 View Post

Sorry if this has already come up, but I'm having an issue with CEC devices not turning on my receiver. With everything off/in standby, if I turn on my PS3 or Chromecast (which is awesome btw), my TV comes on, but my receiver doesn't. If it's already on, then CEC does work to change the channel on it etc. The PS3 and chromecast are plugged into the receiver. Any way to fix this?

P.S: I have the AVR 1613

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
At the very least set HDMI Control on the AVR to ON as the factory default is OFF. Although this will usually ensure the AVR is turned OFF with the other devices, turning it back ON is not always guaranteed and depends on the devices in the HDMI chain.

I do have HDMI control setting on - and the CEC control does work, but only if the receiver is already on, it doesn't work to turn the receiver on. I have a samsung UN46ES7500 TV.

Is there anything I could do to get this working or troubleshoot further? It seems a pretty standard setup, it's surprising that the receiver cec on isn't working.

Thanks for your help BTW!
post #8827 of 10902 Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 AM
585-645-1006

As noted in the Owner's manual ... the CEC feature should turn the AVR OFF but not necessarily back ON again. You may want to consider purchasing a Harmony remote that can turn all your devices ON or OFF with one button push. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #8828 of 10902 Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 PM

Liked: 12
Up and Down buttons don't work on the AVR-1913 with the Logitech Harmony 880. My harmony software is all up to date. Remote has latest firmware. Tried a few different model numbers, still no luck. Tried every button on the remote, as well as pg up an pg down. Left and right work, but not up and down. Any solutions? I don't have the original remote.
post #8829 of 10902 Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Try creating a custom button with the up or down command to see if that works.
post #8830 of 10902 Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post

Up and Down buttons don't work on the AVR-1913 with the Logitech Harmony 880. My harmony software is all up to date. Remote has latest firmware. Tried a few different model numbers, still no luck. Tried every button on the remote, as well as pg up an pg down. Left and right work, but not up and down. Any solutions? I don't have the original remote.

Hi wargod, I had the customize the buttons for up and down. Read Batpig World Helpful Hint (third paragraph down).
post #8831 of 10902 Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi wargod, I had the customize the buttons for up and down. Read Batpig World Helpful Hint (third paragraph down).

Worked perfect, thanks!
post #8832 of 10902 Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 AM
X3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

First, no reason to use Cinema EQ so set that back to OFF.

1. That warning meant don't go above 80 as that is reference volume while average listening levels will be 55-70 so yes, what you are experiencing is very normal.
2. The Source Level setting purpose is to level out your sources so they are all the same volume at the same master volume if that is something you prefer. Note however that raising the source level to say +12db, will also lower the maximum master volume level as well.
3. Most likely only applies to main zone audio. You may want to try the iOS remote app.

Thank you, JDS. This has been very helpful.

I don't have an iPhone/iPad. I do have a bunch of Android devices and see that there are some Android Denon apps too. Are these (e.g., this one) official apps?

Since I don't have a sub, are there any steps I should take to route all the bass to the 5.0 system? Tinkering around, I've changed the "crossover" setting from "individual" to "250Hz" and set the Speakers > Bass setting to the same value. I noticed an immediate improvement in the amount of thump. Do I need to do anything else? Or are there better values I can choose? (Setting it to values lower than 200Hz appears to reduce the bass.)

Thanks.
post #8833 of 10902 Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you have no sub in your system, then the only place the bass gets re-routed when you set a crossover is to your front (L/R) main speakers. What is likely happening is that you have "sucked" the bass out of the center and surrounds and sent them to the larger L/R speakers, thus creating more "thump" but probably not really good for the overall accuracy of the system. 250Hz is a REALLY high crossover frequency.

Have you run Audyssey? It should calibrate your system and then the auto setup will pick the crossovers for you. As noted your fronts will have to stay as "large" because there is no subwoofer to route the bass too, but the other speakers should end up "small" with crossovers applied. You can then raise them up a bit (e.g. if anything is below 80Hz) or leave them as is if they are set above 80Hz. Then just give yourself some time to get used to the sound.

Ideally you really would want a separate subwoofer though.

(also on a side note, if you don't quote the post you are replying too, we have no idea what information was already given to you or what the context of the discussion is)
X3n likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8834 of 10902 Old 08-01-2013, 02:23 PM

Guys...is this a fools errand? I'm trying to find a way to upmix stereo sound from Youtube or Netflix (using Chrome or IE) and send a simulated 5.1 out to my Denon 1713 using a Radeon 6670's HDMI out. The reason being is that the receiver detects the regular input as "Multi channel in PCM" which then disables stuff like Dolby Prologic 2 and DTS Neo 6 for stereo sources...unless I can fool the receiver somehow, is there anything in on PC side I could do to make this work? I would rather have the receiver do the job of upmixing but i can't seem to get it to work and the manual reflects this also.

Bitstreamed stuff like MKVs using MPC-HC work great, it shows the proper "DTS HD" or "Dolby" logos on the receiver. But when I play Youtube videos using IE, I just get the stereo sound, the receiver switches to "Multi channel PCM" and only the left and right speakers work.

Am I doomed?
post #8835 of 10902 Old 08-01-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mr. AzzWIPE (or is it Dr. AzzWIPE?) tongue.gif

The problem is likely on the audio output settings for your video card. What is happening is that the card is outputting PCM audio as a multich PCM signal, but sending "blank" channels for the other 3.1 channels and just providing content in the FR/FL channels. As you know, this prevents the receiver from being able to apply standard upmixing processing because it doesn't "know" that the signal is actually stereo.

I don't think there is a way to do the stereo upmix on the computer side; rather, you should investigate the audio output settings and see if you can get it to output the stereo PCM instead of encasing it in a 5.1 wrapper.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8836 of 10902 Old 08-01-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Mr. AzzWIPE (or is it Dr. AzzWIPE?) tongue.gif

The problem is likely on the audio output settings for your video card. What is happening is that the card is outputting PCM audio as a multich PCM signal, but sending "blank" channels for the other 3.1 channels and just providing content in the FR/FL channels. As you know, this prevents the receiver from being able to apply standard upmixing processing because it doesn't "know" that the signal is actually stereo.

I don't think there is a way to do the stereo upmix on the computer side; rather, you should investigate the audio output settings and see if you can get it to output the stereo PCM instead of encasing it in a 5.1 wrapper.

Hello Captain Batpig...thanks for your input. It got me thinking about the extra 3.1 signal being sent to the Denon so in the speaker configuration, I selected stereo mode in WIndows instead of 5.1 and lo and behold, the Denon sees this as a plain jane stereo signal and allows me to select the different surround options like Neo 6 or whatever.
And another positive thing about this is that it doesn't effect the bitstreamed audio in anyway....so I'm happy.

Thanks for your suggestions again. Mucho gracias.
post #8837 of 10902 Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 PM

i've seen a couple mentions of this issue, but my Denon 1713 has begun having the HDMI video/audio cut out for 1-2 seconds and then come back. bought it in january or so
post #8838 of 10902 Old 08-02-2013, 01:48 AM
X3n

Quote:

If you have no sub in your system, then the only place the bass gets re-routed when you set a crossover is to your front (L/R) main speakers. What is likely happening is that you have "sucked" the bass out of the center and surrounds and sent them to the larger L/R speakers, thus creating more "thump" but probably not really good for the overall accuracy of the system. 250Hz is a REALLY high crossover frequency.

Have you run Audyssey? It should calibrate your system and then the auto setup will pick the crossovers for you. As noted your fronts will have to stay as "large" because there is no subwoofer to route the bass too, but the other speakers should end up "small" with crossovers applied. You can then raise them up a bit (e.g. if anything is below 80Hz) or leave them as is if they are set above 80Hz. Then just give yourself some time to get used to the sound.

Ideally you really would want a separate subwoofer though.

(also on a side note, if you don't quote the post you are replying too, we have no idea what information was already given to you or what the context of the discussion is)

Hello Batpig,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did run Audyssey and it appears to have been the one which selected "individual" for crossover. (Assuming it does) It also chose "Large" for my center. I've since changed this to "Small". If I perhaps change this to "Large" too, would that help?

Is there any way for me to export my current settings and paste them here?

P.S. (I've updated my previous post to include the quoted material from jdsmoothie's reply.)
post #8839 of 10902 Old 08-02-2013, 02:12 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Should be easy enough simply to just manually jot down your settings on paper and enter them into a post especially as the only ones of concern would be the center and side surrounds as the FL/FR speakers must remain set to LARGE (ie. receiving a full range signal). Also, what speakers are you using as if the center speaker is just as capable as the FL/FR speakers at playing the lower frequencies, there is no reason to change it from LARGE --> SMALL. Note also, the crossover setting will only apply to the speakers set to SMALL until you add a subwoofer to the setup.
SanchoPanza likes this.

post #8840 of 10902 Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Anyone help me out. I can't get the avr-1913 to pass through my 3d video at 120hz. I have a BenQ W710ST for the display. If i go straight from the pc to the projector the 3d video works fine. If i go through the 1913 then to the projector it doesn't work the project starts searching for the hdmi input.
post #8841 of 10902 Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Hi all,

I'm just about at my wits' end here. All I want to do is play FLAC files gaplessly (via network preferred, but via USB is okay). The catch is that some of my FLACs are multi-channel.

I just bought an AVR-1713, and after hours of wrestling with various media servers, I have determined that the AVR-1713 cannot play multi-channel audio files streamed over the network. It treats all the multi-channel files as 2-channel only (i.e., the only available sound modes are the 2-channel ones, such as Stereo, Dolby PLII, etc). If I'm wrong about this, though, please let me know!

I thought I had finally found a solution when I formatted an external hard drive FAT32 and attached it to the AVR-1713's front USB port. I tested some multi-channel FLACs this way and heard glorious multi-channel sound! (The sound mode was automatically selected as Multi Ch In.)

But that was yesterday. Today, after adding my regular 2-channel FLACs to the hard drive, none of the multi-channel FLACs will play as multi-channel (I'm again stuck with the 2-channel sound modes). I tried everything I could think of, including resetting the receiver settings, reformatting the hard drive and including only a single multi-channel FLAC on the drive, switching to Direct mode, etc, but nothing worked. I'm actually beginning to question whether I really did get multi-channel sound yesterday, but I'm pretty sure that I did -- the multi-channel songs sounded absolutely gorgeous yesterday, and of course they sounded terrible today when treated as 2-channel (it sounded as if the extra channels were just missing, but don't quote me on that).

So am I just imagining things and the AVR-1713 is actually not able to play multi-channel FLACs via the USB port? Or is there something I'm doing wrong today that I had right yesterday?

Thanks!

PS: These forums were absolutely invaluable to me when putting my system together, so thank you to everyone whose wisdom I read and absorbed!
post #8842 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 AM

Quick question: can a component input (older xbox360 - no hdmi) be output to zone 2 tv via hdm? Cant seem to get it to work...

Thanks in advance.
post #8843 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Liked: 14
Could someone kindly check and tell me what the latest FW version for the AVR-2313CI is? I see in post #6 that there is a recent FW update for 2313, but last few times I checked for update, my receiver always reports that it has the latest. I have version 1490-1169-0000-6520-2987. I have both "Upgrade" and "Update" notifications on.

On my 1613, I did see the update notification and updated it successfully. On it, I have version: 1490-1169-0000-6250-5962.

TIA,
Shash
post #8844 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've been using my 2113ci with a 5.1 setup since I got it a few months ago (upgraded from a 1910). Yesterday I got around to putting in the surround back speakers for a 7.1 setup, and started listening to some 5.1 music. I've searched the thread, as well as read the explanation from batpigworld, on how to hold the mode buttons to get the various sound modes.

What I can't figure out is how to get the 5.1 source to only play in 5.1. I tried out PL IIx and DTS SURROUND (SB ON) to try out 7.1 from my 5.1 source, but wanted to compare that to the DTS track playing in standard 5.1, and can't figure out how to switch back. I'm listening to DTS music, and when I press and hold the Mode Music button, I see stereo, dts surround (sb on), dts + neo:6, dts + pl ii x music, multi ch stereo, rock arena, jazz club, matrix, and virtual. None of those seem to send the 5.1 DTS track as 5.1 DTS though. How can I switch is back to playing just the standard 5.1 DTS through 5.1 channels with no processing going on, like it did prior to setting up the surround backs? I want to do some A/B comparisons to see if I want the surround backs on with 5.1 content or not. Thanks.

post #8845 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM

I just purchased a AVR-1913 a couple days ago and just got around to setting it up for the purpose of getting familiar with the layout. I was playing with the devices webpage and noticed something interesting. If the 1913 only has MultEQ and not MultEQ XT can someone explain the setting on the very bottom of the picture under "Audyssey Settings"? What does this mean? If you change the setting for "MultEQ XT the only option it gives is "Graphic EQ".

post #8846 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006

Apparently just a GUI error.

post #8847 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

I've been using my 2113ci with a 5.1 setup since I got it a few months ago (upgraded from a 1910). Yesterday I got around to putting in the surround back speakers for a 7.1 setup, and started listening to some 5.1 music. I've searched the thread, as well as read the explanation from batpigworld, on how to hold the mode buttons to get the various sound modes.

What I can't figure out is how to get the 5.1 source to only play in 5.1. I tried out PL IIx and DTS SURROUND (SB ON) to try out 7.1 from my 5.1 source, but wanted to compare that to the DTS track playing in standard 5.1, and can't figure out how to switch back. I'm listening to DTS music, and when I press and hold the Mode Music button, I see stereo, dts surround (sb on), dts + neo:6, dts + pl ii x music, multi ch stereo, rock arena, jazz club, matrix, and virtual. None of those seem to send the 5.1 DTS track as 5.1 DTS though. How can I switch is back to playing just the standard 5.1 DTS through 5.1 channels with no processing going on, like it did prior to setting up the surround backs? I want to do some A/B comparisons to see if I want the surround backs on with 5.1 content or not. Thanks.

DTS has since changed the way the audio is passed and so with a 7.1 setup, AFAIK, you will only get 7.1

post #8848 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashchatter View Post

Could someone kindly check and tell me what the latest FW version for the AVR-2313CI is? I see in post #6 that there is a recent FW update for 2313, but last few times I checked for update, my receiver always reports that it has the latest. I have version 1490-1169-0000-6520-2987. I have both "Upgrade" and "Update" notifications on.

On my 1613, I did see the update notification and updated it successfully. On it, I have version: 1490-1169-0000-6250-5962.

TIA,
Shash

Note the update for the 3313CI/2313CI was release a week or so before the 1613 update. When was the last update you performed on your unit?

post #8849 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 05:49 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEARCH1990 View Post

Quick question: can a component input (older xbox360 - no hdmi) be output to zone 2 tv via hdm? Cant seem to get it to work...

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but no. There is no upconversion (or any processing whatsoever) on the Zone 2 HDMI which is why it must be connected to an HDMI sync to do the processing (ie. either a TV or another AVR). As noted in the graphic on p. 7 in your Owner's manual ... you must connect the component video output to pass a component video source to Zone 2.

post #8850 of 10902 Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quick question for the experts here. How do the Marantz models compare to their Denon cousins?
5007=2113? 6007=2313? 7007=3313?
I am trying to choose between the 6007 and 3313.
Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page