The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 304 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9091 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

To elaborate on Mark's response ... each additional zone would require 2CH if you want stereo audio so if you have a 5.1 setup in the main zone then with a 7.1 AVR you have 2CH (7.1 - 5.1 = 2.0) left for either Zone 2 or Zone 3, but not both; however, with the 3313CI you can pass mono audio to both Zones 2 and 3 if you have mono speakers. In order to pass stereo audio to both Zones 2 and 3 you would need 5.1+2.0+2.0 = 9.1 CH either via the AVR alone (eg. Denon AVR-4520CI) or with a 2CH external amp connected to the Zone 3 pre-outs.

thank you guys, this was helpfull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 AM

i think i have another question regarding the Denon Remote App for phones and tablets...

My friend has an onkyo and what he does not like about the ONKYO app is that if you connect lets say a USB stick with tons of music. you have to scroll through the musica PAGE by PAGE and it is very annoying. he would like it to be like if you are scrolling through music in a iphone where you can scroll really smooth all the list and not PAGE by PAGE hitting Next page evertime.

i wounder how is the scrolling of music in a usb stick on the Denon App.. page by page or smooth as a smartphone..
post #9093 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 AM

The Denon App is terrible, but at least on Media Sever the scrolling is smooth. AVR-Remote is much better.but it's page by page.
post #9094 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked: 11
First time posting on this forum. So, I've had my AVR1713 for about a year now and absolutely love it.

Have it connected to playstation 3, Motorolla digital cable box, etc. all via high speed HDMI, outputting to a Panny plasma. All has worked without issue since I got it.

Just tried turning it on (we had a serious electrical storm last night, but all this stuff was powered down please god let it not have fried my amp!) and I'm getting no audio or video from either the cable box or the PS3. I went through the manual and the only thing in the troubleshooting section said to reset the microprocessor. Tried that. Several times. Still getting nothing.

When I select cable box, the display says "HDMI1/D=none", PS3 "HDMI4/D=none". The cable box appears to be operational in that I can change channels (without seeing them or hearing them obviously). The ps3 is turning on, hard drive spinning up, but I'm getting nothing.

Any thoughts?
post #9095 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Did you check if all the Hdmi are assigned correctly?
post #9096 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Did you check if all the Hdmi are assigned correctly?

Can't. No video available to do so. Basically it worked last night. No changes occurred. Lightning overnight with a number of flash power outages. Didn't work this morning.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is unplugging everything and doing the slow dance introduction HDMI handshake I read about on here.

Other than that, the more I read the more I'm thinking the HDMI board is fried. Seems very common in many brands of amps since HDMI was introduced sadly.
post #9097 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM

So I went back and read again the information you referred to and did not see anything that would suggest a fix for my problem, or anything related to 3D specific. Maybe I am overthinking this or it is right there and I am missing the solution. Can you tell me what your link was referring to other than contacting Denon?

Thanks for your reply
post #9098 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinicus View Post

Wow good memory. I didn't even remember. As far as I know though, you can't assign analog inputs.but I guessed you confirmed it's possible. I'll try it out when I have time.

Did a search actually. smile.gif Correct as far as analog inputs not being assignable on the XX13 models (although this is a new feature on the new X300 and higher models); however, I was referring to the HDMI and digital inputs being assignable.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9099 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 04:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill7145 View Post

First time posting on this forum. So, I've had my AVR1713 for about a year now and absolutely love it.

Have it connected to playstation 3, Motorolla digital cable box, etc. all via high speed HDMI, outputting to a Panny plasma. All has worked without issue since I got it.

Just tried turning it on (we had a serious electrical storm last night, but all this stuff was powered down please god let it not have fried my amp!) and I'm getting no audio or video from either the cable box or the PS3. I went through the manual and the only thing in the troubleshooting section said to reset the microprocessor. Tried that. Several times. Still getting nothing.

When I select cable box, the display says "HDMI1/D=none", PS3 "HDMI4/D=none". The cable box appears to be operational in that I can change channels (without seeing them or hearing them obviously). The ps3 is turning on, hard drive spinning up, but I'm getting nothing.

Any thoughts?

The HDMI inputs are highly sensitive to power surges. Might be time to call the insurance company. frown.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #9100 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 04:10 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by les73gx View Post

So I went back and read again the information you referred to and did not see anything that would suggest a fix for my problem, or anything related to 3D specific. Maybe I am overthinking this or it is right there and I am missing the solution. Can you tell me what your link was referring to other than contacting Denon?

Thanks for your reply

Contacting Denon? Huh? That link starts out with the following section which is what you were intended to review ....

post #9101 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Contacting Denon? Huh? That link starts out with the following section which is what you were intended to review ....

Yes sir, you are correct, that is where it starts and I reviewed it and reconfirmed that this setting makes no difference on my particular problem. If Deep color is set to automatic it has the same flicker when playing 3D, but there was one slight difference, the flicker would occur more often with Deep Color turned off (every 30 seconds) than with it set to automatic (about every minute and a half).
Again, if I select monitor 1 as the only output on the 2313ci I have a beautiful 3D movie and I have watched 4 different 3D movies with no issues. So that tells me that all my other equipment and cables (hardware) are functioning properly. My thought was maybe someone here has read or had this problem and could tell me what I have missed.

On the same page 4 entries down ...

u. Unresolved Issues: If you are experiencing an issue with your AVR that is not listed in post #4 of either the 2012 or 2013 Denon AVR threads, and for which you cannot get a resolution either by (a) reviewing the information in this thread, (b) unplugging the AVR for a few minutes, (c) resetting the source device, (d) ensuring the source device has the firmware updated (if possible), (e) ensuring the AVR has it's firmware updated (if a networking model), (f) resetting the microprocessor using the procedure in your Owner’s manual, or (g) posting the issue in this thread, then call Denon CSR at 800-497-8921 and report the issue. If you have not reported it to Denon yourself personally, don't assume that Denon is aware of the issue. If the CSR response is "I've never heard of your issue before," ask the CSR if they can test it out on one of their units there and call you back. If they don't comply, go to Denon's website here, review their FAQ and if still no resolution, then register, and submit your issue with the AVR as well as the response provided by the Denon CSR via the "Ask A Question" tab. Regardless of how you submit your question, if you receive a response from Denon that resolves your issue, please post Denon's response here in the thread so others might learn from it as well.

So there was my confusion. My bad

Any other suggestions or thoughts on this?
post #9102 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Sorry, my bad actually as I saw PS3 and that is the first solution with PS3 video issues; however, this is not the solution to your issue as you already noted. The 2313CI has dual HDMI outputs, however, they can only output the same source and would be limited to the lowest common denominator resolution of the devices connected which in your case is 2D on the TV. Most TVs are still ON even when in standby, so that is what is likely causing the issue. AFAIK, you have no choice but to take the TV out of the loop by selecting Monitor 1 vice Auto.
les73gx likes this.

post #9103 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Well maybe I am being unclear here do let me ask this .... Why do I have this problem with the Monitor Output set to Auto and the problem is gone if I select Monitor 1 only?

So I know the way to fix it ...

Is this because my TV is not 3D and the projector is 3D? I am leaning that way.... (*thinking ... hmmm New TV ... but wife says NO)

Or is the 2313ci not working correctly?

Or is the Denon unit just not able to pass 3D correctly in Auto output mode?
post #9104 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM

Ok that was the way I was thinking also TV is not 3D that is causing the glitch ... hmmm how to get this wife approved .... hmmmmm

Thank you JD for the help
post #9105 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
585-645-1006

If you want to experiment .. you could purchase an HDMI switch and connect it between the AVR and the 3D PJ to copy the PJ's EDID and then once copied, place it between the TV and the AVR, although not sure it would work.

post #9106 of 10619 Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Can't. No video available to do so. Basically it worked last night. No changes occurred. Lightning overnight with a number of flash power outages. Didn't work this morning.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is unplugging everything and doing the slow dance introduction HDMI handshake I read about on here.

Other than that, the more I read the more I'm thinking the HDMI board is fried. Seems very common in many brands of amps since HDMI was introduced sadly.

How much troubleshooting have you done?

Does your AVR work on other inputs?

The "easiest" way for you to find out if it's your AVR or not is to connect the PS3 or Cablebox directly to the TV. If they display video/audio then you know it's your AVR.

That being said...I'm assuming it's your AVR anyway.
post #9107 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

How much troubleshooting have you done?

Does your AVR work on other inputs?

The "easiest" way for you to find out if it's your AVR or not is to connect the PS3 or Cablebox directly to the TV. If they display video/audio then you know it's your AVR.

That being said...I'm assuming it's your AVR anyway.

Yep, wife wanted to watch some TV last night so I connected the HDMI from the cable box directly to the TV. Bingo, wife was watching TV a second later.

I'll try the other inputs today, but I'm also thinking it's the AVR. I think I read it somewhere on here that the HDMI board costs around $300 on it's own, so it's hardly worth replacing since i only paid $350 for the AVR itself.

I read on Denon's website that their warranty doesn't cover acts of nature, so I think I'm hooped.

Boo.

What really sucks about this whole thing is that when I bought the AVR, I bought one of the most expensive surge protectors I could find to protect it and the other equipment. Obviously, it didn't help.

Searching around this site and others, it appears that HDMI boards on all newer amps are all highly subject to failure and damage from even minor power variations. Not really sure what to do as I don't want to go out and buy another AVR only to have this happen the next time we get a big light show outside.
post #9108 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Doesn't the surge protector have a warranty? What's the point of buying the fancy once if it doesn't back up its guarantee?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9109 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Excellent point Batpig. Once I read your post I did some googling. Looks like there's alot of people who've tried and failed. Looks like there's alot of people who are misinformed about these things altogether, myself included. Basically my understanding now is that these things are meant to be used in concert with "whole house surge suppression" and "power conditioners". Otherwise, they do very little to protect against lightning. I have neither of those. Weird that it appears that nothing else that was plugged into this thing were affected including a Panasonic plasma, PS3, cable box, cable modem, router.

I'm still going to fiddle with this thing and try some other ideas I've looked up.
post #9110 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM

I just got the 1713 and have been very happy. However, does anyone know if the 1713 supports automatic input switching? For instance, when I had my Google Chromecast hooked up directly to my TV and played something on it, the TV would automatically switch to that input. The 1713 doesn't seem to be doing that for me. I've looked through various options, but don't see anything that would enable it. Does anyone know if the 1713 supports this? Thanks!
post #9111 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM

Well, I think fiddling with this thing is has lead me to busto world. Tried the HDMI handshake fix as a last resort, with no luck. Now when I turn the amp on it simply says HDMI1/D=COAX which makes me think it's not finding the HDMI board whatsoever.

Stupid thing is I finally pulled the entire entertainment unit out and the surge protector still has the happy green light shining bright indicating that it's continuing to protect my stuff and nothing wrong has occurred.
post #9112 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Excellent point Batpig. Once I read your post I did some googling. Looks like there's alot of people who've tried and failed. Looks like there's alot of people who are misinformed about these things altogether, myself included. Basically my understanding now is that these things are meant to be used in concert with "whole house surge suppression" and "power conditioners". Otherwise, they do very little to protect against lightning. I have neither of those. Weird that it appears that nothing else that was plugged into this thing were affected including a Panasonic plasma, PS3, cable box, cable modem, router.

I'm still going to fiddle with this thing and try some other ideas I've looked up.

I had the same thing occur to my AVR-1910 last year. I remembered that I had bought the AVR with American Express so I filed a claim with them online through their automatic warranty extension. AMEX credited my account for the amount I paid for the 1910 about a week later, didn't even need to return the defective unit. I immediately bought an AVR-2113CI as a replacement and moved the 1910 to the garage to use to play CDs/iPOD when grilling or working out there. Check the credit card you used to see if it has any similar benefit.
post #9113 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, a very good point indeed. AMEX will add an additional year of warranty beyond the mfr's warranty (as will some MC/Visa issuers as well). Generally a good idea to purchase electronics with plastic if that warranty does apply. AMEX has credited my account as well on several items to include an electric shaver and cell phone. smile.gif

post #9114 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 PM

excellent idea guys. TD Visa here in Canada bought this thing. I'll have to check on that tonight.

What sort of documentation did you have to provide to the CC company?
post #9115 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM
585-645-1006

Depends on your issuer ... in many cases ... as long as it shows up on your statement history .. you're good to go. smile.gif

post #9116 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks. I'll have to check on that.

Just tried to hook up the PS3 direct to the HDTV. FFS, now it looks like that doesn't work either.

I'm done with this for today. At least I can still play poker on my pc.
post #9117 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Yep, wife wanted to watch some TV last night so I connected the HDMI from the cable box directly to the TV. Bingo, wife was watching TV a second later.

I'll try the other inputs today, but I'm also thinking it's the AVR. I think I read it somewhere on here that the HDMI board costs around $300 on it's own, so it's hardly worth replacing since i only paid $350 for the AVR itself.

I read on Denon's website that their warranty doesn't cover acts of nature, so I think I'm hooped.

Boo.

What really sucks about this whole thing is that when I bought the AVR, I bought one of the most expensive surge protectors I could find to protect it and the other equipment. Obviously, it didn't help.

Searching around this site and others, it appears that HDMI boards on all newer amps are all highly subject to failure and damage from even minor power variations. Not really sure what to do as I don't want to go out and buy another AVR only to have this happen the next time we get a big light show outside.
There may be hope yet. I called Charter today to add some services to our beach cabin. Apparently they will repair damage caused to electronics due to surges. Might be worth a call to your cable provider.
post #9118 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Have a small "annoyance" with my denon 1913.

Audssey room correction set my sub at a volume of -9db. Everytime the reciever is shut off, or sources are changed, it returns the sub volume to -9db. Is there any way to make a permanent change to the settings so that it will remain where last left?

Thanks in advance.
post #9119 of 10619 Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 PM
585-645-1006

First thing to do is to lower the gain knob on the sub a little more and rerun Audyssey until the sub setting result is within a -3db - 0db range. If you then later decide to bump up the sub level a few db, and are using the Quick Select settings to turn on the AVR, then remember to re-memorize the settings after changing the sub to it's new level by pressing/holding the respective Quick Select buttons on the front panel.

post #9120 of 10619 Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan4ever80 View Post

I just got the 1713 and have been very happy. However, does anyone know if the 1713 supports automatic input switching? For instance, when I had my Google Chromecast hooked up directly to my TV and played something on it, the TV would automatically switch to that input. The 1713 doesn't seem to be doing that for me. I've looked through various options, but don't see anything that would enable it. Does anyone know if the 1713 supports this? Thanks!

My 1613 does - for example, watching cable stb then power on the blu-ray. I’m assuming it’s the same with the 1713. However, I haven’t tried chromecast.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page