The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 307 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9181 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscatJeff View Post

Hi,
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, I just want to ask a new question, not start a new thread. I'm not replying to anything.

I've got an AVR 3312 and can't play movies over my network from an NAS. My Denon Net/USB menu says "Video No Play".
Someone suggested I use a PS3, but after some research I discovered that is a game thing, which I have no use for. Is there an alternative / work-around? Hardware or software, or both?
I am clueless in this matter.
I prefer not to have a computer involved, if possible.

Any suggestions on how I can play movies on my TV via the networked 3312? Also, what format do the movies have to be? VOB, or what?

This is my first attempt at home media stuff, so your patience and help are hugely appreciated in advance.
I'll gladly answer any questions.
BTW, I'm located in Oman and bought the 3312 in Dubai at the Denon store there.

I'm building a new house here and will have many other questions after this basic one is solved.

Thanks and regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

Unfortunately, no receiver provides access to video over the network. They only support audio or still images (jpegs).

There are quite a few alternatives, though. For example, most current model TVs (often marketed as "smart TVs") include their own network connections for access to video services. Other alternatives are networked Blu-ray players (like the Sony BDP-S5100) or any of a variety of media devices like the Roku "stick", AppleTV or WDTV. Also, most modern laptops and graphics cards include HDMI outputs that you can plug into your receiver for both audio and video.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Give Skifta a try ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skifta.android.app&hl=en

I can't give it a try as I don't yet have the receiver. I don't want to buy it and then find out there is no real solution for playing Slacker.
post #9183 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm, never thought about adding a UPS to my home theater system. Great idea.

Still haven't had a chance to talk to Denon on the phone yet, or the cable company.

However, a master electrician I spoke with suggested this to me:
HBL3w50 by Hubbell. Installs at the panel and used in concert with surge suppressors, or perhaps UPS I guess.

http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/press/pdfs/WLBPQ001.pdf

Still can't believe these things aren't more popular or basics to be installed in new construction homes.
post #9184 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 10
Hello all, new owner of a Denon 1913, replacing a Sony STRDG800. I originally bought a Sony STRDN1030 but returned it as I felt it was not worth the money (even as open box) mainly due to long HDMI switching times and horrible GUI. I was going to stick with the STRDG800 until I found this 1913 open box (shelf unit) with everything included for $150. Main reason for the upgrade was STRDG800 only had HDMI passthrough.

Regardless I have the 1913 setup and running, sounds fantastic, except for one thing... the sub is barely noticeable. I did as instructed and placed the volume to halfway before doing the calibration. Am I supposed to turn this back to full once the calibration is complete, seems like that would defeat the purpose of calibrating. I also followed the guides and set every speaker to small and changed any cutoffs that were set below 40.

My STRDG800 would shake the walls, with the 1913 I can't even tell it's on. I know I can adjust the output through the receiver, I just want to know if this is normal behavior or something is wrong.

I will say the 1913 seems to have much better clarity and fullness to the sound of the dialog. I just miss feeling the bass during action sequences.
post #9185 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltownsho View Post

Am I supposed to turn this back to full once the calibration is complete, seems like that would defeat the purpose of calibrating. I also followed the guides and set every speaker to small and changed any cutoffs that were set below 40.

Start with the knob in the middle, and then check what kind of level the Audyssey setup gives your sub. The ideal range is between -3 and +3. Adjust the knob on the sub and re-run Audyssey until you're in that range.

If you're in that -3 to +3 range and it's still not enough, then you can go into the speaker levels and bump it up. (Leave the dial on the subwoofer alone.)
post #9186 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Just to be clear on this oft-repeated "ideal range", there is NO AUDIBLE BENEFIT to having the subwoofer reading come in at, say, -2dB vs. -6dB. You don't want it "maxed out" because that means the calibration ran out of room to adjust, and there are potential disadvantages to extreme values. For example, if it's extremely negative the voltage might be too low to trigger the auto-on circuit of the subwoofer consistently... if it's extremely positive there is an outside possibility of clipping the signal at the input stage of the subwoofer... if it's extreme in one direction it leaves less room for tweaking adjustment.

That said, again, there is NO BENEFIT to be gained from +/-3dB in terms of actual performance once you are off the maximum/minimum value. My sub comes in at -5 or -7 most calibrations and I don't adjust my trim to compensate because my sub's auto-on circuit still triggers properly; it's only for obsessive tweakers to try and "peg" it closer to 0dB. It's just a useful "rule of thumb" target value but shouldn't be treated as gospel.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9187 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Hi guys. I have a 2313 and I want to run Audssey to check if I damaged a speakers. I figure since it does the full spectrum that I will have an easier time noticing a damaged tweeter. I heard someone mention that in the IP control you can save and load your setup but I don't see anything for that when I type the Ip into my browser. I have the controller page but nothing about Audssey or save or load. I want to save my setup so i dont lose it when i rerun it. Am I missing something? If i cannot save it then dies anyone know if i run audyssey and then cancel it wothout Calcuating the first position wull it leave my wxisting one intact? Thanks!
post #9188 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

That said, again, there is NO BENEFIT to be gained from +/-3dB in terms of actual performance once you are off the maximum/minimum value. My sub comes in at -5 or -7 most calibrations and I don't adjust my trim to compensate because my sub's auto-on circuit still triggers properly; it's only for obsessive tweakers to try and "peg" it closer to 0dB. It's just a useful "rule of thumb" target value but shouldn't be treated as gospel.

I'm not at home right now but I believe it set my sub to -7dB, fact of the matter is, it is just to quiet.

I guess I shall just bump it up a tad.
post #9189 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltownsho View Post

I'm not at home right now but I believe it set my sub to -7dB, fact of the matter is, it is just to quiet.

I guess I shall just bump it up a tad.

Just so you know when calibrating the bass, for a lot of people not familiar with it they seem think it's too soft afterwards. This is because a lot of people actually run their bass louder than it's suppose to be and doesn't really have anything to do with what Audyssey/MCACC/professional/etc is setting it at (unless it maxes out). Even if you adjust the level down on the sub to make Audyssey set it closer to 0dB instead of -7dB the output will still be the same.

After running Audyssey, just go to the sub level settings and increase it there to your desired listening level.
post #9190 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shidfar1 View Post

Hi guys. I have a 2313 and I want to run Audssey to check if I damaged a speakers. I figure since it does the full spectrum that I will have an easier time noticing a damaged tweeter. I heard someone mention that in the IP control you can save and load your setup but I don't see anything for that when I type the Ip into my browser. I have the controller page but nothing about Audssey or save or load. I want to save my setup so i dont lose it when i rerun it. Am I missing something? If i cannot save it then dies anyone know if i run audyssey and then cancel it wothout Calcuating the first position wull it leave my wxisting one intact? Thanks!

If you click on the "Setup Menu" link on the main controller page, the Save/Load link should be in the menu on the left.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9191 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 1763
Quote:
Originally Posted by shidfar1 View Post

You may not see the SAVE/LOAD button depending on which browser you are using. Refer to the following link for more details ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134212

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9192 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM

BestBuy has the following receivers. Which one should I get -
1713 for $155 open box No accessories. Just the receiver
2113CI for $235. open box No accessories. Just the receiver

2113CI on clearance for $349.99
post #9193 of 10882 Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Read the first posts to understand the difference between the models.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9194 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Read the first posts to understand the difference between the models.
Hi, I did read the differences. I am ok with either one. I just wanted opinion on which one is the best value for the price.
Thanks.
post #9195 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 515
If you decide on one of those with "no accessories" make sure to ask the salesperson to find an Audyssey microphone to go with it. BB usually has a drawer full of miscellaneous accessories that have been separated from the original equipment. A compatible remote would be very useful, too. wink.gif

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #9196 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmuke View Post

BestBuy has the following receivers. Which one should I get -
1713 for $155 open box No accessories. Just the receiver
2113CI for $235. open box No accessories. Just the receiver

2113CI on clearance for $349.99

Both feature the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT so boils down to whether you want the additional features on the 2113CI to include 1 extra year of warranty as well as powered Zone 2 or Surround back as the 1713 is only a 5.1 AVR. To purchase the mic will cost you about $25 and a remote another $50-$60 if you don't already own a Harmony remote.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9197 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 04:55 PM

I just bought a 3313 and installed it without a hitch. My home is pre-wired with the following speakers:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/inwall-inceiling-speakers/ns-iw470_white/?mode=model

I have four of these in the kitchen, wired in series (2 to each terminal) to the surround back terminals so that I can create a discrete zone 2 while the main zone is reserved for a 5 speaker system for the TV.

The kitchen speakers sound well enough. Mostly just getting used to sound coming from above. Do you guys think I'm doing anything to potentially endanger the receiver? Even when in series, doubling the impedance to 12 shouldn't be a problem, as the terminal can handle up to 16 per terminal.

Also, I have one set of these in the backyard:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/outdoor-speakers/ns-aw390_black/?mode=model

Any advice on a good, not too expensive power amp I can use to connect these bad boys to zone 3?

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated! Crutchfield is telling me I need to buy a switch for about $120 to modulate the impedance of the zone 2 speakers.
post #9198 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Wiring the speakers in "series" would mean daisy-chaining them with only one set of speaker wires connected to each speaker post (which would not be a problem); however, from your description you have the speakers wired in parallel such that the AVR sees (4) "3" ohm speakers which is going to be a problem. You can purchase a multi zone impedance matching speaker selector from forum sponsor Monoprice for much less which will resolve your connectivity issue ....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=6857&CAWELAID=1329453840&catargetid=320013720000011125&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COXgwJiVs7kCFY3m7Aodm0MAEQ

Also you would be much better served using the external amp (eg. the one below or a used one off of Craigslist for even less) for the Zone 2 speakers and then let the AVR power the Zone 3 speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

post #9199 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Liked: 12
Hello. My boyfriend has a Denon 3313 and I am trying to figure out where to plug in my wireless headphones. I have tried a few different ports, but none of them have worked. My headphones are Sennheiser RS120s. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #9200 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You can plug them into either the Media Player analog outputs or the Zone 2 or Zone 3 pre-outs and then connect a set of analog cables from the external source to the 3313CI in addition to the HDMI cable being used for the main zone.

post #9201 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info! They're wired in a daisy chain setup, so that left 1 and left 2 are wired into one terminal and right 1 and right 2 are wired into the other terminal. Apologies if I was unclear.

I may switch it up and get an external amp for zone 2's four speakers and let the AVR power zone 3's two speakers. That's a good idea. I just don't have the backyard ready so I'm not focusing on that yet smile.gif
post #9202 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Series vs parallel is a specific distinction in wiring. I still can't tell how you have it, "daisy chain" isn't really a technical term. Google parallel vs series wiring and you will find diagrams and then let us know which you have.
SanchoPanza likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9203 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 PM

I have an AVR-1713 - and it's been doing something strange with the signal from the Blu-ray player (a Sony BDP-S5100).

When I put in a new CD, during the first song I play, within 10-30 seconds, there is a single dropout of sound, perhaps a quarter- or half-second. Then it won't do it again during that CD session, even if I repeat that song or jump around. If I eject the disc and put it back in (same disc or another), it is very likely to do it again. It doesn't matter which cut I play first. I could start by going directly to track 5, and it will do it.

It doesn't do it every single time - but it seems to do it about 75% of the time. Once per disc session.

I plugged the Blu-ray player into a different HDMI slot and it still did it.

And I connected the Blu-ray player directly to an HDMI monitor and it did NOT seem to do it.

So I don't think it's the player. I think it's the receiver.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

It may have started after I updated the firmware (but I'm not certain about that).
post #9204 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi hikouka,
I tried with this app. Not able to send the music to receiver. Do i need to run media server running on laptop always?
post #9205 of 10882 Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseAnimal View Post

I have an AVR-1713 - and it's been doing something strange with the signal from the Blu-ray player (a Sony BDP-S5100).

When I put in a new CD, during the first song I play, within 10-30 seconds, there is a single dropout of sound, perhaps a quarter- or half-second. Then it won't do it again during that CD session, even if I repeat that song or jump around. If I eject the disc and put it back in (same disc or another), it is very likely to do it again. It doesn't matter which cut I play first. I could start by going directly to track 5, and it will do it.

Hi FalseAnimal, does it happen using digital coaxial from player to receiver?
post #9206 of 10882 Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookJF View Post

Thanks for the info! They're wired in a daisy chain setup, so that left 1 and left 2 are wired into one terminal and right 1 and right 2 are wired into the other terminal. Apologies if I was unclear.

I may switch it up and get an external amp for zone 2's four speakers and let the AVR power zone 3's two speakers. That's a good idea. I just don't have the backyard ready so I'm not focusing on that yet smile.gif

Again. What you are describing is a "parallel" connection (on the left) which is NOT what you want vs. the "serial" connection (on the right) where the speakers are "daisy chained" together.

post #9207 of 10882 Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Someone needs to pass a law that states a company cannot provide a firmware update without also providing release notes at the same time.

3313ci updated this morning. No clue what it did.
post #9208 of 10882 Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM

I wired my speakers using the following instructions for an "in series" configuration:

http://www.wikihow.com/Power-Two-Speakers-with-a-One-Channel-Amp

1: Plug the negative terminal (-) of the amplifier into the negative terminal of the first speaker.

2: Connect the positive terminal of the first speaker to the negative terminal of the second speaker.

3: Connect the positive terminal of the second speaker to the positive terminal of the amplifier.

Since there are two channels and four speakers, I did the left speakers in series to the left terminal and the right speakers in series to the right terminal.
post #9209 of 10882 Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Was just going to post the same thing. There is a small firmware update for the 3313. Took about 7 minutes.

Mark
post #9210 of 10882 Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookJF View Post

I wired my speakers using the following instructions for an "in series" configuration:

http://www.wikihow.com/Power-Two-Speakers-with-a-One-Channel-Amp

1: Plug the negative terminal (-) of the amplifier into the negative terminal of the first speaker.

2: Connect the positive terminal of the first speaker to the negative terminal of the second speaker.

3: Connect the positive terminal of the second speaker to the positive terminal of the amplifier.

Since there are two channels and four speakers, I did the left speakers in series to the left terminal and the right speakers in series to the right terminal.

Thanks for clarifying. That is a correct serial wiring and there shouldn't be any issues driving them off two channels especially since you likely aren't blasting the volume in the kitchen.

Long term it's not a bad idea to add an inexpensive 2ch amp to dedicate to that zone. The audiosource amp-100 is a popular option at only $100 and with an auto on circuit for seamless integration.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page