The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 10893 Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 91
@nhh2oskr...

thanks... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10893 Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I am having an issue with my new Denon 1913 hooked to a new Panasonic 60GT Plasma. The issue i'm having is im not getting sound from any sources connnected via HDMI. I get picture from Apple tv, directv, bluray and xbox but no sound. Any one have these issues? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

M
post #903 of 10893 Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^Check the HDMI input from your TV and see if you set the sound for TV or receiver, also the check the assigned HDMI input from the Denon.
post #904 of 10893 Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Hi Applemike68, check HDMI Audio Out is set to "Amp".
post #905 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 AM

I have a 2313CI. After running Audyssey, I make a few changes. I change speakers to small, crossover for front, center,surround, and surround back speakers from 40 to 80. I usually raise the sub level a couple of dbs. I am running a 7.1 speaker setup.
After Audyssey before I make any changes, the volume on the AVR will go up to aound 94 or 95 while playing music. After I make the above changes, the volume will only go up to mid to low 70s. Does this mean anything or are the numbers for the volume not important.

The system plays fine at max volume, even when going to 94 or 95 on the AVR. I am just wondering why I lose max volume after these changes, at least according to the master volume number displayed.
post #906 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
First, I'm surprised you can get to 94-95 without blowing out the speakers or your windows as most would generally not be able to go above 80. eek.gif What speakers are you using? Are you also raising the volume of the individual speaker levels as well or changing the Source Level setting? When you say "the volume will only go to the mid 70's" you mean the volume indicator doesn't increase beyond that point?

Also what is the status of the Audyssey setup only going to 6 mic positions?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #907 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

First, I'm surprised you can get to 94-95 without blowing out the speakers or your windows as most would generally not be able to go above 80. eek.gif What speakers are you using? Are you also raising the volume of the individual speaker levels as well or changing the Source Level setting? When you say "the volume will only go to the mid 70's" you mean the volume indicator doesn't increase beyond that point?
Also what is the status of the Audyssey setup only going to 6 mic positions?

For the front and surround speakers I am using DCM12a, floor standing speakers rated at 250 watts. The center is a Polk Audio, I do not know the specs on it. The surround backs is the Polk Audio M40.
I am not raising any of the individual speaker levels except the sub. The sub is the PB12. I make no other changes in the AVR. Yes, the volume indicator numbers from the AVR master volume will not go any higher after the changes. I do not play music at that high of a volume for very long. Just trying to see how the complete setup handles and sounds a higher volumes.

The last time I ran Audyssey it gave me the 8 locations. That was running it through the speaker menu.
post #908 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by openchut82 View Post

I am just wondering why I lose max volume after these changes, at least according to the master volume number displayed.

Is this perceived loss or verified with a SPL meter volume loss? What is the electric outlet circuit rated for and how many total watts are you pulling out of the wall when you have the volume cranked?

Based on your comment: "Yes, the volume indicator numbers from the AVR master volume will not go any higher after the changes," you've maxed your system (or house wiring) out and the internal amps are overheating. Just a possibility.

I'm an 80% kind-a-guy where none of my gear, whether hammer or receiver, at max-pain, should exceed 80% of rated capacity. If I'm exceeding this standard, I've made a bad purchase. Gear lasts a lot longer, whether garden hose or receiver if it's not stressed to max capacity.

-
post #909 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Is this perceived loss or verified with a SPL meter volume loss? What is the electric outlet circuit rated for and how many total watts are you pulling out of the wall when you have the volume cranked?

I guess you could say it is perceived loss, at least by going by the master volume number. I have not a SPL meter, although thinking of purchasing one. I do not know what the electrical outlet is rated for or how many watts it is pulling or even how to check it. I am using a surge protector with 4 other components connected to it.
post #910 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM

If you don't have the current going to your gear, then gear won't function at peak efficiency.

Depending on your budget, the Shack has a way cool SPL. I paid $85 for the SPL meter I have but that was twenty years ago. Who knows how pricing has changed since then, market efficiency coupled with inflation. Either which way, it never hurts to have a decent SPL meter in your lap while setting up a sound system or to know how many spare watts your wall plug has to share with your sound system.

A suggestion, lose the surge protector and change out your wall plug box from a duplex box and plug to a four-plex box with a pair of duplex outlets as a single surge protector will limit the amount of energy available to your high demand situation.

I had an electrician come out and make the change for eighty dollars. I had hospital grade outlets put in. Hospital grade outlets are better constructed, more resistant to heat and have better gripping capability onto the tangs of the plug; quality of plug contact.

An under explored issue is wall wiring as today, with all our electronic devices, we tax these systems and because wiring is hidden behind a wall, we forget to explore this issue as a power limiting problem in need of being looked into.

-
post #911 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 AM

What is the max safe temp for the 2313? I remember seeing mine up to 79 degrees I believe.
post #912 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM

I don't know what it's operating temperature restrictions are. Most consumer electronics are limited below 105F. I can only find that it consumes 600w.
post #913 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by openchut82 View Post

For the front and surround speakers I am using DCM12a, floor standing speakers rated at 250 watts. The center is a Polk Audio, I do not know the specs on it. The surround backs is the Polk Audio M40.
I am not raising any of the individual speaker levels except the sub. The sub is the PB12. I make no other changes in the AVR. Yes, the volume indicator numbers from the AVR master volume will not go any higher after the changes. I do not play music at that high of a volume for very long. Just trying to see how the complete setup handles and sounds a higher volumes.
The last time I ran Audyssey it gave me the 8 locations. That was running it through the speaker menu.

The DCM12a speakers are very efficient with a sensitvity rating of 97db, so the AVR has to attenuate their volume most likely by more 12db or more (ie. FL/FR both set to -12db). This is why you can raise the volume so much higher than normal although not sure why it's reduced when you effectively increase the headroom from the amp by raising the crossover settings.

Also thanks for the info on the 8 vs. 6 mic positions ... I'll update the info in post #4.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #914 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM

I got a new 3313 last week and it has occasional (once every hour or two) static noise in the left surround channel. I have Bose acoustimass speakers, so all of the speaker wires go into the subwoofer module then come out and go to the speakers. I have performed the following trouble shooting:

1. Totally redid my setup while paying special attention to not having any bare wires contact the receiver body. This had no effect.
  2. Reset the microprocessor. This had no effect.
  3. Physically swapped my surround satellite speakers. This had no effect, therefore the speaker is not defective.
  4. Swapped the surround wires coming out of the subwoofer. The noise moved to the right surround speaker, therefore the problem is not in the wire leading from the subwoofer.
  5. Swapped the surround wires at the receiver while leaving the wires coming out of the subwoofer switched. The noise moved back to the left channel, therefore the problem is not in the subwoofer or the wires leading to it.

The 3313 is the only new component in my home theater system and it seems like the problem is definitely in the receiver. I did add an ethernet switch so that I could hard wire everything instead of using wifi, but I don't think that that would cause this problem. Is it time to send this unit back, or is there something else that I can try?
post #915 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdenning View Post

Er, I meant the Zune app in the 360. So same input, heh.
I found out last night that I did not actually fix the problem, I just somehow faked the stereo output to 5.1, which made things sound really odd (center channel audio coming from rear speakers, etc). I reset again and cable works fine now, but the 360 is still screwed up with audio, so it may be a 360 issue now.

Update to this problem. Actually figured out the issue last night. It seems the woofers in my front and right speakers (Polk RM7s) blew at the same time, causing only the tweeters to play. This would explain why stereo output (Zune app, Netflix app, etc) did not play.

Talking to Polk now about replacement, but guessing as itll probably fall into "usage break", I may just need to buy new speakers. As I was only at about -25db, not sure how I wouldve blown them frown.gif
post #916 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Lover View Post

Is it time to send this unit back, or is there something else that I can try?
Sorry: you'll have to get the receiver replaced. The unit you have is defective.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #917 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Lover View Post

The 3313 is the only new component in my home theater system and it seems like the problem is definitely in the receiver. I did add an ethernet switch so that I could hard wire everything instead of using wifi, but I don't think that that would cause this problem. Is it time to send this unit back, or is there something else that I can try?

I'd send it back. frown.gif

post #918 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the quick replies Selden and JD. I will send it back.
post #919 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Has anyone been successful at controling the volume of the receiver via arc with a factory tv remote? In particular, I have a GT50 that when combined with a panny soundbar, offered incredible ease of use and integration. I was very disappointed when the sound quality was not what I required.
post #920 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
^^^

"arc" doesn't control volume on anything... confused.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #921 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Hi!

I bought a Denon 2113 this saturday, but have problems with the display/screen when I use the network-function. I`ve connected the receiver to my internet connection. But it looks like the software has big problems, both with stock firmware and with the updated firmware. Now the picture is totally green when I use the network-function with Internet radio etc.

I`m not sure if this works any good, but I`ll try to share these video via dropbox displaying the problem (Pretty large files, so it may take a while to load):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32731427/Denon1.mp4
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32731427/Denon2.mp4 (This is taken just a couple of minutes after the first video)

Do anybody else have this problem? Any good ideas hos I can fix it?
post #922 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
"arc" doesn't control volume on anything... confused.gif

Grammar Luke; use the force.

tongue.gif

(So there's no misunderstanding, I'm referring to the poster's grammar, not yours.)

-
post #923 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Dude View Post

Has anyone been successful at controling the volume of the receiver via arc with a factory tv remote? In particular, I have a GT50 that when combined with a panny soundbar, offered incredible ease of use and integration. I was very disappointed when the sound quality was not what I required.

So what you want is to control the Denon AVR with your GT50 remote? In order to do that the Denon would have to be in the GT50's data base of AUX devices it can control. If not, then no joy. Can you elaborate on why you feel the sound quality is not what you require? Is it just center channel dialogue that is the issue? What surround mode are you using?

post #924 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helguera View Post

Hi!
I bought a Denon 2113 this saturday, but have problems with the display/screen when I use the network-function. I`ve connected the receiver to my internet connection. But it looks like the software has big problems, both with stock firmware and with the updated firmware. Now the picture is totally green when I use the network-function with Internet radio etc.
I`m not sure if this works any good, but I`ll try to share these video via dropbox displaying the problem (Pretty large files, so it may take a while to load):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32731427/Denon1.mp4
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32731427/Denon2.mp4 (This is taken just a couple of minutes after the first video)
Do anybody else have this problem? Any good ideas hos I can fix it?

Try following these "green screen" tips ---> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L9

Also, what do you mean by "stock firmware" and "update firmware"? Do you mean the issue still occurs even after the firmware was updated?

post #925 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchrisbrown View Post

Okay, I understand now. I guess I'm back to using an optical (toslink) to analog converter box (fairly cheap but just trying to shrink the birds nest of cables) from the Google TV box to use as my double connection. The google TV has only 2 connections - HDMI and optical. Thanks guys.
Oh one last thought, I usually have the same source on for both zones at any given time so wouldn't mind using "front B" to the speaker posts to make this work but I would lose independent volume control for each zone right? In other words I can't turn the volume way down in the main zone and crank zone 2 to a higher volume, correct?

Well I thought I understood but I was looking at features on the Denon website and it states that the 3313 has a digital to analog record out - see here: http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/productcomparision.aspx?pIDs=AVR4311CI%28DenonNA%29|AVR3313CI%28DenonNA%29&catID=AVReceivers%28DenonNA%29 . It seems that you could indeed take this analog out and just loop it back into the receiver as an analog input? If this won't work can someone please explain the digital to analog record out feature? Thanks in advance for any input.

Chris Brown
post #926 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No ... he understands ... the only way to get any audio out of the Media Center analog output is by connecting a source with analog cables (ie HDMI (Media Center) will not go out the analog (Media Center)).

Sorry for the double post but this is the one I probably should have quoted. Question repeated below:
Well I thought I understood but I was looking at features on the Denon website and it states that the 3313 has a digital to analog record out - see here: http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/productcomparision.aspx?pIDs=AVR4311CI%28DenonNA%29|AVR3313CI%28DenonNA%29&catID=AVReceivers%28DenonNA%29 . It seems that you could indeed take this analog out and just loop it back into the receiver as an analog input? If this won't work can someone please explain the digital to analog record out feature? Thanks in advance for any input.
post #927 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 PM

I have now tried the "green screen"-tips, but without luck.

"Stock firmware" -> Original firmware (Firmware out of the box). And yeah, the green screen still occurs even after I have updated the firmware. Did the firmware-update from the Denon setup-menu without getting any errors.

I have several HDMI-inputs connected (sat-box, PC and PS3) to my AVR-2113, and they all work fine, no green screen. The only time the green screen occurs is when I use the network-functionality (Internet radio, flickr, last.fm...). I get sound from the Internet radio, so there should be no problem with the Internet connection.
So shouldn`t this relate to the software in the receiver? One of the reasons getting the 2113 was because of the network-functionality (and the upcoming spotify integration), so its pretty annoying.
post #928 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM

What did Denon tech-support say on the issue?
post #929 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

What did Denon tech-support say on the issue?

I got the problem just some hours ago, so I haven`t tried to call or email Denon Tech-support. Visited the Denon homepage, but it doesnt look like Denon have any dedicated customer support here in Norway. Suppose I have to go to the local hifi store i bought the receiver tomorrow. Do you think they have any knowledge, or is it best to send an email to Denon USA or something?
post #930 of 10893 Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchrisbrown View Post

that is likely a typo on the spec sheet, the 3313 removed the digital>analog conversion for Zone 2/3 and the REC OUT feed is tied to the Zone 2 source. There is no mention of that capability in the manual. So it almost certainly will not work, sorry.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page