The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2013, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, it's been roughly 2.5 weeks since I dropped off my AVR1713 at the service center, for what I believe to be a blown up HDMI module. It's been over a month now without my avr. These are not enjoyable times listening to movies and tv through the TV speakers, even though it's a nice Panasonic plasma.

Sent the shop an email the other day. The receptionist said they had a part on order from Denon but didn't say which part it was. Assuming it is the HDMI module that's on order, does anyone have any idea whether these are in short supply? I thought I read somewhere (maybe on here) that these are in high demand and Denon was having trouble keeping up with replacements.

Anyone have any idea if this is true? I really hope I don't have to wait for months to get this thing back. If I have to watch horror at Halloween in my current state, I just won't bother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martytoo View Post

I had a power issue today that had to do with my battery backup/surge protector. Once I replaced the backup everything worked except the connection between the 2313 and "My Book Live"'s Twonky server. When I try to access the "Media Server" it works to connect with my laptop but not with the Twonky server. When I choose the Twonky I get a green flash on the TV and the network connection to the Denon seems to reset. After about 30 seconds I can once again see the network screen on my screen.

I did a restart on the Twonky server from the web interface with no luck. (I can access the Twonky and play music on it from my cell phone.) I cut power to the Denon for over ten minutes with no improvement. I did a system reset with no improvement.

I guess I have to try the "Network" reset but I am wondering if there is something wrong with Twonky on the "My Book Live" or if perhaps this may have been caused by the recent firmware update.

Can anyone help?

I did a"Network Reset" and have the same problem accessing Twonky on the My Book Live. Can anyone think of another reset possibility that I have overlooked?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 499
wildbill,

You should consider contacting Denon directly about the long delay. Manufacturers sometimes will "make good" in situations like these, providing a replacement unit.

For an example, see the thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1309798/my-ht-2ch-setup/720

Granted, the events in that thread involved an Integra DHC 80.2 (the previous top of Onkyo's high-end line) but the same customer service principles apply.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 10-05-2013, 07:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Denon authorized repair centers generally won't offer a refurb replacement unless the unit has been at the shop for at least 30 days. And unless a unit is shipped directly to the factory repair center (PanurgyOEM) a turn around time of 2-4 weeks is not unusual, especially if the part is not readily available.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 499
For some reason I read "5 weeks" instead of 2.5 *sigh*

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martytoo View Post

I did a"Network Reset" and have the same problem accessing Twonky on the My Book Live. Can anyone think of another reset possibility that I have overlooked?

And one more thing that I just realized when I tried the "Network Reset" with the network cable disconnected from the router (which I also power cycled) is that I did not lose my "Favorites" in the Internet Radio section that I have set over the past months. So after the reset and before the restore from the config files I still have my favorites listed. That doesn't seem like a full reset to me.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Your probably right JD, I guess a month wouldn't be out of the question. When I dropped it off she said that if they couldn't get it fixed locally it would have to be shipped to Denon themselves, somewhere in the Southern states. The fact that she said they were waiting for a part did get my hopes up. Slightly. Then I had a nightmare moment the other day imagining getting an email back saying 'your part will be available in 6-8 weeks'.

When I originally called the service center, she said they had a 4 day backlog. I guess I just imagined (dreamed) it would be fixed on day 5. Not practical.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 AM
585-645-1006

The factory repair center (PanurgyOEM) is located in NJ and although it would cost a nominal shipping charge ($30?) to get it there, average turn around is only 1-2 weeks because they have immediate access to repair parts and once repaired, Denon pays the return shipping.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Greetings

I have a question about direct mode. I have a 2113ci with a ps3 connected via hdmi. I bought Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes blu ray as I wanted to listen to the album mixed in 5.1.

I really don't care for Audyssey when listening to music, so I decided to listen in direct mode. I was under the impression that in direct mode, all 5 channels are treated as large and the subwoofer is not active.

Is this supposed to be the case? Because my subwoofer is active.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If the BD is mixed as 5.1 and it actually includes content for the .1, then you'll be using it regardless if speakers are large or small.

Also, I believe that the crossover isn't technically part of Audyssey so even if you go to direct mode it'll still continue to use it unless you set the speakers to large.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:09 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Greetings

I have a question about direct mode. I have a 2113ci with a ps3 connected via hdmi. I bought Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes blu ray as I wanted to listen to the album mixed in 5.1.

I really don't care for Audyssey when listening to music, so I decided to listen in direct mode. I was under the impression that in direct mode, all 5 channels are treated as large and the subwoofer is not active.

Is this supposed to be the case? Because my subwoofer is active.

Although DIRECT and PURE DIRECT modes do treat all speakers as if they were LARGE, they do not disable the sub so if there is any 0.1 LFE content it will still go to the sub. Now if you play stereo 2.0 content, then the sub would not be active unless you set the sub to LFE+Main.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

Also, I believe that the crossover isn't technically part of Audyssey so even if you go to direct mode it'll still continue to use it unless you set the speakers to large.

Incorrect. Well, you are correct that bass management is independent of Audyssey. But your conclusion about Direct mode is wrong. Direct mode doesn't just shut Audyssey off. It shuts ALL processing off, including bass management.

So unless LFE+MAIN is on as JD notes above, the sub will only make noise in Direct mode if there is a .1 channel in the source content as you correctly stated in your first paragraph.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Ah, my mistake. Skimming through the manual I got the impression that as long as you set the speakers to small and adjust your crossover accordingly even if it was direct, it'd at least still follow that much. Of 'course, with that manual sometimes you need to parse it several times to understand what they are saying. rolleyes.gif

Should have consulted my batpig's Denon to English translator. smile.gif
Old 10-05-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 14
Okay, so quick question here- I've tried a microprocessor reset and searched. I have my Xbox connected directly to the TV via component, and an HDMI running from my Denon 1713 AVR to the TV, plugged into HDMI 2 which is the ARC.

I turned HDMI control on my AVR, and set VieraLink to ON and told it to output to Home Theater. Now it shows home theater volume on the TV when I change the level, and the volume changes on the AVR with the TV remote. But I don't hear anything... The TV also turns on and off with the AVR and Vice-Versa so I know they are communicating. I think this problem is on the Denon end. Has anyone else had this issue? I would use an optical cable but all my cables are behind the wall and it would be a hassle to run another cable.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM
585-645-1006

Check the TV Owner's manual as it may not pass composite audio via ARC, rather only HDMI.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 14
I tried the Netflix app on the TV as well. Still no sound... Thank you for the suggestion though!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Liked: 10

Sorry for the super basic question, but i recently purchased a 1613 and me thinks its not going to perform a basic function that I need.

I want to re-assign the rear speakers and essentially have them act as a set of "B" speakers. They're in a different room and I want to be able to turn them on and off for music in stereo mode as well as turn them off in any of the cinema modes (rear surround in another room don't worky so well.) However, I still want  my center channel to work in the cinema modes, so just putting it in stereo is no good.

It seems like the1713 can do this with the zone 2? Even though it says it requires an external amp? I don't necessarily need to play a different source on those other speakers though it would be nice.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but sifting through 360 pages is a bit daunting.

Thanks in advance...

Old 10-05-2013, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Unfortunately it won't work. The 1613 is a 5ch receiver and it does not have any "assignable" amp channels. So you can't split it as a 3.1 and a 2.0 even though there are 5 amps. They can only be used for surrounds.

The same is true of the 1713 but it does have a Zone 2 pre out for expansion, but as you correctly note that requires a 2ch external amp.

You'd probably be happiest with a 7ch model since these have assignable amps for the last two channels which can be set as Zone 2 or Front B 2ch speakers if you don't need them for surround backs.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 AM

I have a Denon 1913 that I just updated the firmware. After the update I lost all network connectivity. The router port the AVR is connected to does not even light up. I've swapped cables and plugged the AVR into another router. I am also not am I able to get the firmware version.

I've done the Mircoprocessor reset. I've turn the amp off and unplugged it.

During the update, I kept getting Retry Update error. I let it sit overnight and it finally went through.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you.

-JJ

It is fixed. Post 9456 got me thinking, what about unplugging the network cable while I had unplugged the power cord. I turned the power on, waited a couple of minutes, plugged in the network cable and everything started working. Thank you martytoo. PS I am now able to see the firmware version.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 AM
585-645-1006

Do any other devices work when connected to the router as it sounds like the router is defective and should be replaced? Can you connect the AVR directly to the modem or is it a combined modem/router?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by teartags View Post

Sorry for the super basic question, but i recently purchased a 1613 and me thinks its not going to perform a basic function that I need.
I want to re-assign the rear speakers and essentially have them act as a set of "B" speakers. They're in a different room and I want to be able to turn them on and off for music in stereo mode as well as turn them off in any of the cinema modes (rear surround in another room don't worky so well.) However, I still want  my center channel to work in the cinema modes, so just putting it in stereo is no good.
It seems like the1713 can do this with the zone 2? Even though it says it requires an external amp? I don't necessarily need to play a different source on those other speakers though it would be nice.
Sorry if this has been answered before, but sifting through 360 pages is a bit daunting.
Thanks in advance...

To add to batpig's response, on all but the flagship 4520CI, the core 5CH (F/C/R/SL/SR) on a 5.1 or 7.1 model are not assignable and can only be used as designated whereas the 7.1 models will allow you to "assign" the 2 extra CH (SBL/SBR) to something other than SBL/SBR depending on the model.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post

Okay, so quick question here- I've tried a microprocessor reset and searched. I have my Xbox connected directly to the TV via component, and an HDMI running from my Denon 1713 AVR to the TV, plugged into HDMI 2 which is the ARC.

I turned HDMI control on my AVR, and set VieraLink to ON and told it to output to Home Theater. Now it shows home theater volume on the TV when I change the level, and the volume changes on the AVR with the TV remote. But I don't hear anything... The TV also turns on and off with the AVR and Vice-Versa so I know they are communicating. I think this problem is on the Denon end. Has anyone else had this issue? I would use an optical cable but all my cables are behind the wall and it would be a hassle to run another cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post

I tried the Netflix app on the TV as well. Still no sound... Thank you for the suggestion though!

Ensure you do not have the "TV Audio" source set to "HIDE" (p. 92 OM) otherwise it should work based on your current settings. One of the annoying results of using ARC is that the AVR will always switch to the "TV Audio" source upon turning it ON so if the AVR is not switching to "TV Audio" then either the source is hidden or the signal is not getting through from the TV. Also note that "HDMI Control" defaults to OFF so ensure you reset it back to ON after you did the microprocessor reset.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Everything else connected to router was fine. Switching the routers (and connecting the Denon to a different router) and cables pretty much narrowed it down to the Denon. It seems like the unit had to be power cycled and unplugged with the network cable disconnected to get everything working. I also disconnected the cable from the Denon to the TV as well.

Thank you for the quick reply. That was awesome.

-Julian
Old 10-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Ensure you do not have the "TV Audio" source set to "HIDE" (p. 92 OM) otherwise it should work based on your current settings. One of the annoying results of using ARC is that the AVR will always switch to the "TV Audio" source upon turning it ON so if the AVR is not switching to "TV Audio" then either the source is hidden or the signal is not getting through from the TV. Also note that "HDMI Control" defaults to OFF so ensure you reset it back to ON after you did the microprocessor reset.

Thank you so much. That was the final piece of the puzzle (TV Audio being hidden). Now I can use my optical input for the PS3 to differentiate sound modes for games and movies without manually adjusting it every time.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 PM

I have a denon 19-13 with no instructions. My tv is lg hdtv 50" with standard hdmi port and optical port my blue ray player is also lg, im having a hard wiring the system up ! I got the blue ray to play but cant get audio from tv when watching cable.the cable box is bqsic with no hdmi hookup.plz help
Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynice View Post

I have a denon 19-13 with no instructions. My tv is lg hdtv 50" with standard hdmi port and optical port my blue ray player is also lg, im having a hard wiring the system up ! I got the blue ray to play but cant get audio from tv when watching cable.the cable box is bqsic with no hdmi hookup.plz help

This simplest setup is as follows:

Blu-ray ---(hdmi)---> Denon (if using HDMI, no need for optical)
Cable box ---(component if possible, otherwise composite)---> Denon

Denon ---(hdmi)---> LG tv

Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

This simplest setup is as follows:

Blu-ray ---(hdmi)---> Denon (if using HDMI, no need for optical)
Cable box ---(component if possible, otherwise composite)---> Denon

Denon ---(hdmi)---> LG tv
Addendum, your cable box should have HDMI in this day and age. If so, use HDMI.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:44 AM

Weird problem with an AVR2313CI. Everything works fine except when connecting an Apple TV(v2) through HDMI . In this case the AVR keeps turning on and off at approx 10 seconds intervals.

Here is what I tried:

- connected the ATV to different HDMI inputs

- connected ATV with different HDMI cables

- tried a similar ATV (borrowed it from a friend for testing purposes) - same behavior.

Any suggestion what the problem may be?

current setup:

avr2313ci

- panasonic bluray BD310 (on BluRay HDMI input)

- roku 2 (on Game HDMI input)

- VU+Duo satellite receiver (on CBL/SAT HDMI input)

Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynice View Post

Denon AVR Owner manuals can be downloaded from the below website ...

http://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/pages/instructionmanual.aspx

Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgeo View Post

Weird problem with an AVR2313CI. Everything works fine except when connecting an Apple TV(v2) through HDMI . In this case the AVR keeps turning on and off at approx 10 seconds intervals.
Here is what I tried:
- connected the ATV to different HDMI inputs
- connected ATV with different HDMI cables
- tried a similar ATV (borrowed it from a friend for testing purposes) - same behavior.
Any suggestion what the problem may be?

current setup:
avr2313ci
- panasonic bluray BD310 (on BluRay HDMI input)
- roku 2 (on Game HDMI input)
- VU+Duo satellite receiver (on CBL/SAT HDMI input)

This is not normal behavior when connecting an ATV. Unplug all other HDMI sources and try plugging the ATV into every HDMI input. If still no joy, then do a soft reset (unplug for 10 minutes) and if still no joy, a microprocessor reset.

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon