The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 321 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9601 of 10617 Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I believe I have read elsewhere that to truly bi-amp speakers, the speakers have to have active crossovers instead of passive. Perhaps this is what is causing the decrease in dBs?

HT Setup
TV: Samsung UN65ES8000
AVR: Denon AVR-3313CI
Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15 x 2 | Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiC | Rear Speakers: Polk Audio LSiF/X x 2
Subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW-505 x 2
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 10617 Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Sorry, I really don't know what might actually be causing the reduction in volume.

The Audyssey calibration should result in identical sound levels if the microphone was placed in exactly the same locations and properly oriented. Sometimes slight displacements in the microphone have been known to produce dramatically different results, especially if they're near peaks or nulls in the room's low frequency standing waves.

I suggest putting back the speaker jumpers and reconfiguring the receiver to not use biamping.

Many years ago biamping could be justified because people were using tube amplifiers which had limited bandwidth and limited power. Neither is the case for modern solid state amplifiers, but the myth persists. Modern receivers have quite a few features like this which actually provide no improvement whatsoever in audio quality, but they're cheap to include and they attract some buyers.

Selden
post #9603 of 10617 Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM

Liked: 10

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I will be reverting back to original settings.

post #9604 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 18
I have a 2113 that started to make a "scratchy" sound on the front right channel only. Initially I thought I had blown a tweeter, but I've switched out speakers and it is the same thing. This is when running 2.0, 2.1, or 5.1. It has progressively gotten worse, to now it is no music, just terrible scratchy noise. I have tried different inputs, different cables, different banana plugs, 3 different speakers, different rooms altogether, resetting the microprocessor... Has anyone had this type of issue?
I've never turned it up past -15 either...
Just wanted to know if there is something else I can try before I start a warranty claim. The unit is only 5 months old.
post #9605 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Sorry for your problem. Had same issue with my 3312; RF Amp was blown.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #9606 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Liked: 18
Thanks for the info. I did just try 3 resets in a row... Looks like I'll have to ship it in for some warranty work.
post #9607 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Liked: 12
Finally installed 3313ci over my old trusted 3310ci this week. Well it's quite an upgrade so far. Switching from multi EQ to XT was clear improvement even with my modest speakers. I especially like separate setting for 2ch listening. I can't believe that they butchered remote and display (like no dedicated dynamic volume buttons etc.) but I knew that before thanks to batpig and many other's posts on this thread. I'm seriously considering buying old remote from 3310 and using with 3313 since everything seems to be working fine.

Two questions so far:

1. I have somewhat decent sub (for my current needs). It's 1st gen ML Dynamo. I like this little thing a lot, especially for its "musicality". However, after applying XT and proper tricks from batpig's manual(that again!) sub seems to be a little boomy sometimes. When i tried to run XT for the first time and had my sub's knob set ant 12 o'clock, it happened exactly what was described by batpig as "calibration level maxed out on the negative trim (12dB)". So I ran XT again with sub set at "3", tried to experiment with different positions for sub etc. It's better but still a little too boomy for my taste. I know this sub is capable of producing cleaner bass than it currently does. Any ideas?

2. Airplay rocks!( at least when playing from itunes on PC hardwired to the network-tried playing some itunes radio via iphone and is choppy sometimes). But since majority of my music is in regular and hi-res FLAC, i would be more interested to do airplay from Foobar. Is it possible at all? I did some googling and apparently there are couple of apps in existence but users feedback is limited. Anyone uses this setup with XX13 receivers?
post #9608 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
^^
The best guide for proper setup using Audyssey is the 101/FAQ linked to in the first post of the Official Audyssey thread.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9609 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Need some help here, I've done all the searching and digging, I have sent the following message to Denon and I will also be calling them on Monday when they open, I'm pretty much dead in the water here and I'm stuck sitting around rehabbing a surgery without my theater!

My AVR-2113ci receiver went into a continuous loop while trying to do an update, retrying the update over and over for about two hours. I tried to do a soft reset, holding on/standby until it shut down, then unplugging for 10 minutes, just kept trying to update itself then fail. I then tried to do a network reset(holding Zone2 Source/Dimmer and pressing On/Standby to turn it on), the receiver now comes up momentarily, then the onscreen set up blanks the screen but the receiver then freezes and the menu text is illegible. I have done multiple network and microprocessor resets, I'm getting the same results.

I have the unit hardwired to my network router, never had any trouble with the unit before this. It was purchased from an authorized dealer(Accessories4Less) as a Denon refurb, it should still be under it's 1 yr warranty. My nearest service center is in Baltimore, MD.

I'm hoping they will warranty it, from my research it looks like others have had this problem and needed to get new mainboards.

I'm had a couple denon's over the years, my last one a AVR-591 had the no infamous HDMI resync issues all the sudden which is what got me to buy the 2113 last year....if I have to replace this one, it probably won't be another Denon.
post #9610 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 PM
585-645-1006

If you unplugged all sources and the network cable from the AVR prior to doing the network reset with no joy, then it would appear repair is the next step. frown.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #9611 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey...let me try this one...I hope someone may be able to help!

Recently any music I play through DLNA or airplay, the sound is extremely low. Like I have to get the volume to the max levels to be able to fill a regular room up. It didnt do that before but I cant figure out what setting or whatever it is to get it to work again. Any thoughts?
post #9612 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Checking in, Denon 1913 owner here. Only problem so far is hdmi handsake issues and fuzy network screen.

Pioneer Elite SC-71 - Polk RT20P (w/ 4 8" subs) - Polk CS245i center - Polk Monitor 75T
Custom MartySub, 18" Dayton 460 7cuft' cabinet w/ Inuke3000dsp at 1400 watts over 200lb! For sale : (
Toshiba 55" LED - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
post #9613 of 10617 Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviSunPatel View Post

Recently any music I play through DLNA or airplay, the sound is extremely low. Like I have to get the volume to the max levels to be able to fill a regular room up. It didnt do that before but I cant figure out what setting or whatever it is to get it to work again. Any thoughts?

I noticed a drop in volume when switching to stereo mode from 5.1 with music. Just a thought.

Pioneer Elite SC-71 - Polk RT20P (w/ 4 8" subs) - Polk CS245i center - Polk Monitor 75T
Custom MartySub, 18" Dayton 460 7cuft' cabinet w/ Inuke3000dsp at 1400 watts over 200lb! For sale : (
Toshiba 55" LED - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
post #9614 of 10617 Old 11-03-2013, 02:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviSunPatel View Post

Unplug the unit for 10 minutes.

post #9615 of 10617 Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEaton12 View Post

Need some help here, I've done all the searching and digging, I have sent the following message to Denon and I will also be calling them on Monday when they open, I'm pretty much dead in the water here and I'm stuck sitting around rehabbing a surgery without my theater!

My AVR-2113ci receiver went into a continuous loop while trying to do an update, retrying the update over and over for about two hours. I tried to do a soft reset, holding on/standby until it shut down, then unplugging for 10 minutes, just kept trying to update itself then fail. I then tried to do a network reset(holding Zone2 Source/Dimmer and pressing On/Standby to turn it on), the receiver now comes up momentarily, then the onscreen set up blanks the screen but the receiver then freezes and the menu text is illegible. I have done multiple network and microprocessor resets, I'm getting the same results.

I have the unit hardwired to my network router, never had any trouble with the unit before this. It was purchased from an authorized dealer(Accessories4Less) as a Denon refurb, it should still be under it's 1 yr warranty. My nearest service center is in Baltimore, MD.

I'm hoping they will warranty it, from my research it looks like others have had this problem and needed to get new mainboards.

I'm had a couple denon's over the years, my last one a AVR-591 had the no infamous HDMI resync issues all the sudden which is what got me to buy the 2113 last year....if I have to replace this one, it probably won't be another Denon.

This may be nothing but did you reboot the router when you reset the processor?
post #9616 of 10617 Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Hi,
it's a couple of weeks that I am unable to use the Internet Radio feature anymore.
After a few attempts, my understanding is that the "last listened internet radio" is not available anymore so when I try to get into the internet radio menu, it tries to play it and it displays "track not valid" and hangs there for a few seconds.
The only option I have is to go back to the network menu...
Do you know a way to go back to normal operation (by seeing the internet radio menu with the available stations) without having to reset to factory settings the receiver?
Thanks in advance for any feedback
Matteo
post #9617 of 10617 Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Matteo, I've had luck disconnecting the internet cable for a minute, or so, this forces the connection to re-set.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #9618 of 10617 Old 11-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Matteo, I've had luck disconnecting the internet cable for a minute, or so, this forces the connection to re-set.
No luck frown.gif
As a matter of fact I think that the radio station doesn't play anymore over the internet... so it looks for it.. doesn't find it.. gives the error and sits there....
post #9619 of 10617 Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala1ss View Post

[quote name="CEaton12" url="/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/9600#post_23904493"]Need some help here, I've done all the searching and digging, I have sent the following message to Denon and I will also be calling them on Monday when they open, I'm pretty much dead in the water here and I'm stuck sitting around rehabbing a surgery without my theater!My AVR-2113ci receiver went into a continuous loop while trying to do an update, retrying the update over and over for about two hours. I tried to do a soft reset, holding on/standby until it shut down, then unplugging for 10 minutes, just kept trying to update itself then fail. I then tried to do a network reset(holding Zone2 Source/Dimmer and pressing On/Standby to turn it on), the receiver now comes up momentarily, then the onscreen set up blanks the screen but the receiver then freezes and the menu text is illegible. I have done multiple network and microprocessor resets, I'm getting the same results.[B][SIZE=5]I have the unit hardwired to my network route[/SIZE][/B]r, never had any trouble with the unit before this. It was purchased from an authorized dealer(Accessories4Less) as a Denon refurb, it should still be under it's 1 yr warranty. My nearest service center is in Baltimore, MD.I'm hoping they will warranty it, from my research it looks like others have had this problem and needed to get new mainboards.I'm had a couple denon's over the years, my last one a AVR-591 had the no infamous HDMI resync issues all the sudden which is what got me to buy the 2113 last year....if I have to replace this one, it probably won't be another Denon.[/quote]This may be nothing but did you reboot the router when you reset the processor?

Yea I tried that as well, just left it unplugged over night and all day, didn't help, I'll be calling in tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
post #9620 of 10617 Old 11-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If multiple resets (as well as Network resets - post #5) have not resolved the issue, then warranty repair would be your next step. frown.gif

Just wanted to report back that my 3313 is working great again, I sent it in to Pyramid Audio in Austin TX and they were excellent. Had to replace the HDMI board and called me the day before they shipped it back to give me an update.

Hope you never need it, but just wanted to say that I highly recommend Pyramid for Denon repairs.
post #9621 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddler76 View Post

Thanks, JDS. I inspected my speaker wire connections. I use banana plugs, so everything looks clean.

I will see if the fault happens again. If so, I'll run a fan under similar conditions. I may consider a warranty claim.

I experienced another shut down event under normal operating conditions. This time I was playing music in multi-channel stereo at -3dB for 25 minutes when the fault occurred. I confirmed that the top surface of the enclosure was hot to the touch becoming painful after about 3 seconds.

As you can see from the photo, the AVR is completely open to the surrounding room. The room is 25’ x 25’. The source is iPod Touch via AirPlay.

Next time, I will run a house fan to see if it prevents a shut down.

post #9622 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 AM

i have the denon 2113ci and am having trouble with the zone 2 option.
i have my ipod hooked up and sometime it doesnt even play right away.
i go to zone 2, ipod, and wait a few seconds but nothing then i press play and nothing.
sometimes i can get it but need some insight on how to get it to work every time.
Thanks
post #9623 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM

Liked: 16

I just recently purchased a Denon 3313ci.  I'm using a Direct tv HD Dvr sat box connected to the Denon and then to my Vizio Tv with hdmi cables.  I've noticed that I keep on getting a sound drop out while watching tv shows hear and there.  Its like someone turned the volume down quicky for a split second.  I can rewind the dvr and it want repeat this at that same point.  I'm thinking it is the receiver.  Probably happens a few times per show.  What is the deal?  I'm coming from an older Denon 3802 that ran flawless.  Do all of these have hdmi isues? 

post #9624 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Do you have Dynamic Volume turned on?
post #9625 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyrapper18 View Post

i have the denon 2113ci and am having trouble with the zone 2 option.
i have my ipod hooked up and sometime it doesnt even play right away.
i go to zone 2, ipod, and wait a few seconds but nothing then i press play and nothing.
sometimes i can get it but need some insight on how to get it to work every time.
Thanks

Is Zone 2 powered ON all the time? Have you tried using a Quick Select?

post #9626 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddler76 View Post

I experienced another shut down event under normal operating conditions. This time I was playing music in multi-channel stereo at -3dB for 25 minutes when the fault occurred. I confirmed that the top surface of the enclosure was hot to the touch becoming painful after about 3 seconds.

As you can see from the photo, the AVR is completely open to the surrounding room. The room is 25’ x 25’. The source is iPod Touch via AirPlay.

Next time, I will run a house fan to see if it prevents a shut down.

Okay, so first time you said Stereo, this time Multi CH Stereo which the unit is NOT designed to do at near reference level volume. Try backing the volume level down to -10db and see of doing so resolves your issue.

post #9627 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo12 View Post

I just recently purchased a Denon 3313ci.  I'm using a Direct tv HD Dvr sat box connected to the Denon and then to my Vizio Tv with hdmi cables.  I've noticed that I keep on getting a sound drop out while watching tv shows hear and there.  Its like someone turned the volume down quicky for a split second.  I can rewind the dvr and it want repeat this at that same point.  I'm thinking it is the receiver.  Probably happens a few times per show.  What is the deal?  I'm coming from an older Denon 3802 that ran flawless.  Do all of these have hdmi isues? 

As Alan suggested, this could be the Audyssey Dynamic Volume if enabled, although could also be a result of the audio coming from the TV station as well. Try setting Dyn Volume to OFF and see if that resolves the issue. If yes, and you want to use Dyn Volume, try using the Light setting vice the default of Medium.

post #9628 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Its turned off.

post #9629 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As Alan suggested, this could be the Audyssey Dynamic Volume if enabled, although could also be a result of the audio coming from the TV station as well. Try setting Dyn Volume to OFF and see if that resolves the issue. If yes, and you want to use Dyn Volume, try using the Light setting vice the default of Medium.

I've noticed this from several different stations.  I first thought it maybe was just the station.  I don't remember my 3802 doing this. 

post #9630 of 10617 Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM
585-645-1006

Unless the issue presents on all stations, its more likely a result of the audio coming from the station vs. an issue with the AVR. Although try turning Dyn Volume ON as a test.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page