The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 337 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10081 of 10593 Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro View Post

JD, thanks for the reply. The 'All Access' plan is just a $14.99 Radio subscription plus the $4 Internet Radio option. i get it that one of them would work. I'm hoping someone here is an XM user that can tell me the 'Internet Radio' only option plays via my 2113Ci. I wasn't thinking the XM people would not know about 3rd party AVR's. I will be giving them a call soon, but I do not really trust their knowledge. I do trust this community's knowledge! biggrin.gif

From the 2113Ci Features list:
"Media: The AVR-2113CI IN-Command AV Receiver allows you to enjoy a variety of advanced networking capabilities, like listening to Internet radio and playing music files stored on your PC. The AVR-2113CI supports services like SiriusXM, Internet Radio, Pandora, and Flickr as well as Apple's AirPlay technology, which allows you to listen to music content from the iTunes library on your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, PC, or Mac. The receiver is DLNA 1.5 certified and compatible with PCs running Microsoft Windows 7. (Subscriptions to SiriusXM are sold separately. The service is available in US only.)"

My thought is that 'if' I can use just the 'XM Internet Radio' subscription for my home theater, my home Mac, my wife's home PC laptop and work PC, my iPhone 4S and my wife's Android to stream through our new Prius' audio system... Then I won't need the two current radio device specific subscriptions that I now have. I can drop them and just use Internet Xm. I currently have and older Delphi Roady 2 in my living room which broadcasts over FM to my Denon, an FM radio in another room and another in the garage. The older unit has the stronger signal that the FCC required they weaken on the newer XM radio tuners (LIke the one Roady XT I swap between my cars and boat.) If our smartphones (via the XM App*) can be our defacto XM tuners for the vehicles & boat AND XM Internet works, I can have one subscription for all.

*Important side note about the 'XM Apps' for iPhone and Android: AppStore (be)rates the iPhone App (2 stars) as disconnecting often and being VERY unreliable. GooglePlay does not review well either for similar reasons, but gives their APP A 3.6 star rating. So HUGE bonus points for anyone willing to comment on how either of these Apps work for them streaming to their vehicles via BlueTooth.
(is there an AVS (or other?) forum that might be a better place to ask this App question? tks)

I know its a big "if" based on your questions here, but if you can get XM working on you apple device, you could use the airplay feature to use you device as the XMSirius receiver. The downside is if you're not home, or your device is otherwise unavailable you could not use the Denon for XM for free. We opt to use our iphones through airplay for pandora, itunes radio, etc because our accounts on our phones already have the setting and stations we like. If we did it through the Denon we would have to log in and out or create a new joint account depending on who was using the device.

I havent had XMSirius in 5 or 6 years, so I don't know how the "all access" account works, but I thought I'd offer this work around in case it worked out to be cheaper for you. Sorry if you knew all of this already and this was unhelpful.
davekro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10593 Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you jvh4. I was not aware that Airplay would be an option. It is a good one. I do use Airplay occasionally for music. I forgot about it in this context. Thanks.

I will add the Internet XM option to my account today (duh, free trial toplay with to see how it does/does not work on my iPhone and wife's Android via Apps. Airplay is a great option, but I still would like to know what type of XM connection makes the Denon be the stream device.

Thanks
post #10083 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 02:06 AM

Liked: 10
Hi there.
Do you know if I can use a 7.1 HDMI headset on my Denon AVR 3313?
I have two zones in use now, 1. Zone from amp to 7.1 speakers in living room, 2. Zone a mini jack to my kitchen. 3. Zone will be to my future patio stereospeakers.
The headset shall be zone 1 alternative, then I can listen to quality surround movies at higher levels, even if my wife sleep on the sofa :-) so I need to be able to watch TV with headset 7.1 without (or with low) audio in the zone 1 speakers.
I thought one of the "HDMI Out" on the back could do it, but I don't quite get it :-)
I thought of buying a Sony MDR DS-7500. It's expencive to me, thay's why I ask before buying.
By the way: anyone got experience on 7.1-HDMI-headsets? What to buy and what not to buy?
Hope you can help.
Greetings, erling1000
post #10084 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What do most of you have your "dialogue level" set at? After running the setup it was at -5 and I moved it to 0 so I could hear dialogue. Seems like the setup didn't set that up correctly

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #10085 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
^^
The "Dialogue Level" setting on the XX13 series is nothing more than the "center channel" volume setting. If you want better dialogue ....

(1) Ensure center speaker is pulled out to edge of cabinet and angled up towards ear height (if an adjustment is made here, re run Audyssey)
(2) If the issue is mainly with cable/sat box viewing, with Dyn EQ enabled, set the Reference Level Offset setting to 10db which will reduce the effect of Dyn EQ (bass boost)
(3) Raise the Dialogue Level

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10086 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by erling1000 View Post

Hi there.
Do you know if I can use a 7.1 HDMI headset on my Denon AVR 3313?
I have two zones in use now, 1. Zone from amp to 7.1 speakers in living room, 2. Zone a mini jack to my kitchen. 3. Zone will be to my future patio stereospeakers.
The headset shall be zone 1 alternative, then I can listen to quality surround movies at higher levels, even if my wife sleep on the sofa :-) so I need to be able to watch TV with headset 7.1 without (or with low) audio in the zone 1 speakers.
I thought one of the "HDMI Out" on the back could do it, but I don't quite get it :-)
I thought of buying a Sony MDR DS-7500. It's expencive to me, thay's why I ask before buying.
By the way: anyone got experience on 7.1-HDMI-headsets? What to buy and what not to buy?
Hope you can help.
Greetings, erling1000

There should be no reason why this type of headset wouldn't work with the 3313. Simply place it between the 3313 HDMI Monitor output and the TV and when you want to use the headphones, set the HDMI Audio Output setting on the AVR to "TV" and mute the TV speakers. You may also be able to set up a Quick Select for this capability as well.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #10087 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Hi JD. Thanks...
Question:
"Simply place it between the 3313 HDMI Monitor output and the TV" so you say i should hook the box directly in avr and bypass HDMI sound to TV. And when I would use the headset the avr would control headset volume and TV could be adjusted for other peoples quiet naps on sofa :-) ? Normally we always listen to 7.1 system - never TVspeakers
post #10088 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 10:17 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

The configuration I suggested responds to your requirement of no audio from the surround speakers. You would only change the "HDMI Audio Out" setting to "TV" when you wanted to use the headphones, otherwise it would be set to the default of "AVR".
erling1000 likes this.

post #10089 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Nice JD. Now enlightened I must search for HDMI-7.1-headsets :-) anyone got advice on that? :-)
post #10090 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Liked: 16
Honestly, I really like the Sony Pulse Elite PS3 headset. You would have to check for compatibility though as they require a USB transmitter. Also, they are the only 7.1 headset I have ever tried or owned.

Oops, you said HDMI. Disregard.
erling1000 likes this.
post #10091 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Hello all,

Maybe I am just missing the boat here but I have a question. How can I listen to the CD input (coax) while watching Directv on a HDMI input? Nothing is jumping out at me and sure there must be a way on a AVR-1913.

Thanks a lot. Just finally starting to play with this thing after months in the box. frown.gif
post #10092 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 891
The only way to "mix" these two inputs would be to actually remap the input assignment for the coax digital cable to the same input name as the HDMI video source. Then for that input you change the Input Mode setting to "digital" to force audio from the SPDIF connection instead of the HDMI audio.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10093 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The only way to "mix" these two inputs would be to actually remap the input assignment for the coax digital cable to the same input name as the HDMI video source. Then for that input you change the Input Mode setting to "digital" to force audio from the SPDIF connection instead of the HDMI audio.

Wow. That was fast. Thanks. That sure is convoluted. I wonder why Denon behaves that way? I don't even think that could be programmed as a macro either right since it involves using the gui?
post #10094 of 10593 Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 891
This recent post I made on the E/X series model thread provides some context for the "why" of it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/4950#post_24228038

It really boils down to HDMI as the bottleneck, which Denon finally resolved in the new E/X series model lineup. If this is an important feature swapping up to an E/X series model will give you much easier and more flexible mixing of audio streams with different video sources.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10095 of 10593 Old 01-19-2014, 03:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fucheeno View Post

Hello all,

Maybe I am just missing the boat here but I have a question. How can I listen to the CD input (coax) while watching Directv on a HDMI input? Nothing is jumping out at me and sure there must be a way on a AVR-1913.

Thanks a lot. Just finally starting to play with this thing after months in the box. frown.gif

Another option would be to also connect a set of component video cables from the DTV box to the 1913 and assign that input to a different source name (eg. DVD) and while listening to the CD input, use the Video Select feature to select the "DVD" source.

post #10096 of 10593 Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fucheeno View Post

Hello all,

What I do is split the HDMI output from my DirecTV box into two: One going to the Denon AVR as usual and one going to a second HDMI input on my TV. When I want to enjoy any normal programming (DirecTV, Roku, CD, BD, etc.) - the TV stays on the main HDMI input and the Denon does all the switching. When I want to listen to *anything* (CD, Roku, etc.) but watch the content from DirecTV, I just switch the TV to the second HDMI input.

Here is the splitter I used (from Monoprice): http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

This comes in real handy when I want to view the DirecTV program guide while still listening to the other source.
post #10097 of 10593 Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM

Hi - I'm trying to use my Denon AVR-2113 as a DLNA Play To device, but when I try to use an app or program either on my Windows 8.1 systems or on a Windows Phone 8, the receiver is often not listed as available to play to, if the PC has recently been turned on. It may take up to 10-15 minutes for it to appear often as an available device.

This seems exactly like the problem listed here: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?10605-TV-not-visible-as-DLNA-DMR-(Digital-Media-Renderer)-impossible-to-push-audio-video . And while this is a completely different device, it seems like the Denon receiver is not responding to DLNA / UPnP Discovery requests, but instead broadcasting it's presence itself periodically, which Means PCs may not be able to find it when needed and have to wait until the next broadcast. This is confirmed by running the mentioned dev/debug tools in the article, which also won't find the receiver immediately but until after running for some time (minutes at least).

This makes it practically impossible to be able to start streaming playback as needed and make the device unreliable as a DLNA playback device.

Is anyone aware if this is a known issue and especially if there's a way to make the Denon receiver able to be seen immediately when a DLNA server wants to find a DLNA renderer?

SIncerely,
Allan Hvass
post #10098 of 10593 Old 01-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
How to listen to XM Internet Radio on Denon 2113Ci.
I added "XM Internet Radio" to my subscription. To listen via my Denon 2113Ci (per page 60 of the User Manual on CD):
Select 'Network' from remote, scroll to and select SiriusXM, enter your user name and the password (they supplied or you changed to) for INTERNET RADIO. Internet Radio has a separate password.
Click sign in. done redface.gif)
post #10099 of 10593 Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Another option would be to also connect a set of component video cables from the DTV box to the 1913 and assign that input to a different source name (eg. DVD) and while listening to the CD input, use the Video Select feature to select the "DVD" source.

Oh neat. I think that is what I will be doing. Thanks a lot. Now to find those dusty old component cables somewhere around here. wink.gif
post #10100 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 01:43 PM

This may have been brought up somewhere in this thread sorry if it has. I have a Denon 2113CI and I have run Audyssey setup. I didn't like some of the speaker levels it set so I manually adjusted by going into setup and doing the test tone and adjusting. My problem is that when I change inputs on the AVR from blu ray to game to TV Audio my levels always change. I adjusted speaker levels on each input but it still changes/reverts from time to time. Sometimes it will stay the same when switching sources other times they will change. I called Denon support and got "I haven't heard of that before, try to reset it". That was all the help I received from them. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
post #10101 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08 View Post

This may have been brought up somewhere in this thread sorry if it has. I have a Denon 2113CI and I have run Audyssey setup. I didn't like some of the speaker levels it set so I manually adjusted by going into setup and doing the test tone and adjusting. My problem is that when I change inputs on the AVR from blu ray to game to TV Audio my levels always change. I adjusted speaker levels on each input but it still changes/reverts from time to time. Sometimes it will stay the same when switching sources other times they will change. I called Denon support and got "I haven't heard of that before, try to reset it". That was all the help I received from them. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

I had similar confusion with my 1913 for a while, until it was answered here.

I'm guessing you are using the physical buttons on the front of the receiver to sometimes switch sources? When you do that, it will revert back to how those were initially set up.

To prevent it from doing so, adjust your settings to how you want them, then re-program the front buttons (I believe you do this by pressing and holding, while you are on the source you want).

At least that was my issue. I assumed the front buttons were just to switch sources, but they are actually able to switch sources and return to specific audio settings (unless changed).
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #10102 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoffa7 View Post

I had similar confusion with my 1913 for a while, until it was answered here.

I'm guessing you are using the physical buttons on the front of the receiver to sometimes switch sources? When you do that, it will revert back to how those were initially set up.

To prevent it from doing so, adjust your settings to how you want them, then re-program the front buttons (I believe you do this by pressing and holding, while you are on the source you want).

At least that was my issue. I assumed the front buttons were just to switch sources, but they are actually able to switch sources and return to specific audio settings (unless changed).

OH MY GOSH. Yes that is how I normally switch them. If this fixes it I will Love you forever. I will try it out when I get home. I was going insane always switching my speaker levels. I've Googled this forever and found nothing, Knew I should just posted here in the first place.
post #10103 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Note the Quick Select buttons are also discussed in your Owner's manual (p. 89).

post #10104 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08 View Post

OH MY GOSH. Yes that is how I normally switch them. If this fixes it I will Love you forever. I will try it out when I get home. I was going insane always switching my speaker levels. I've Googled this forever and found nothing, Knew I should just posted here in the first place.

Haha. I had the same frustration for a while, and thought my receiver was going bad, because sometimes I'd switch to Blu-Ray and they'd stay, other times they wouldn't. Someone answered it for me in this thread, but with 330+ pages of info, that stuff gets lost pretty easy. After reading it, it made perfect sense as to why sometimes the settings stayed (when I used the remote or App) and other times they changed (pushing button on front). Re-programming the buttons took about 15 seconds and problem solved.
post #10105 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Hello all, I have the 3313 and I would like to sell it. How much do you guy think I could sell it for? Not sure if it's okay to ask. If it isn't sorry.

Looking to update to the newer version of Denon.

Thanks!
post #10106 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalkilla408 View Post

Hello all, I have the 3313 and I would like to sell it. How much do you guy think I could sell it for? Not sure if it's okay to ask. If it isn't sorry.

Looking to update to the newer version of Denon.

Thanks!

I'd search for it on Amazon and ebay used and adjust accordingly.
post #10107 of 10593 Old 01-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoffa7 View Post

Haha. I had the same frustration for a while, and thought my receiver was going bad, because sometimes I'd switch to Blu-Ray and they'd stay, other times they wouldn't. Someone answered it for me in this thread, but with 330+ pages of info, that stuff gets lost pretty easy. After reading it, it made perfect sense as to why sometimes the settings stayed (when I used the remote or App) and other times they changed (pushing button on front). Re-programming the buttons took about 15 seconds and problem solved.

I just changed my speaker levels and held down the Quick select button for I would say 10 sec. They are still changing back to what Audyssey set them to when I change the source by quick select. Any other idea how to save the quick select buttons?
post #10108 of 10593 Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
First, you shouldn't have to hold the button down that long (see image below). And second, the settings are restored when that Quick Select button is pressed (not when you press the source button on the remote) . Perhaps you could describe what exactly you are doing what you are experiencing?

post #10109 of 10593 Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuceman44 View Post

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my Denon receiver. 

When I'm playing a video, the subwoofer doesn't output anything. I try playing around with the settings and volume, and the front speakers are set on small, and everything else seems to check out.

When I try a test tone, the subwoofer works fine, so I'm not sure what is going on?

Right now I have a 3.1 setup.

Check to make sure the FL/FR speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz in the Manual Setup menu. What audio is the video passing? DD/DTS 5.1?

post #10110 of 10593 Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
First, you shouldn't have to hold the button down that long (see image below). And second, the settings are restored when that Quick Select button is pressed (not when you press the source button on the remote) . Perhaps you could describe what exactly you are doing what you are experiencing?

Got it figured out. The quick select buttons only save volume and not your changed manual speaker levels. So if you press a quick select it will change to that source and reset the levels to what Audyssey set them at. Thats fine, since I know what is actually causing it now I will just use the remote or the left knob to change the source. Thanks for the help
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page