The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 346 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10351 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Philip,

If you're actually sitting the microphone stand on the sofa's cushions, then it will cause the microphone to vibrate, which will affect the calibration. In other words, I suggest trying a calibration series with it only sitting on the floor.

Hmm ok, then I guess it has been vibrating on every calibration when that is actually were I have been putting the stand. Do you think that it's a possible that it will solve my problem if I just remove the sofa and calibrate again? How about the bass resonance peak you described earlier?

The microphone that comes with the subwoofer does have a little stand holding the mic (http://www.brl.se/bilder/artiklar/zoom/111SPL800ULTRA_1.jpg), however I have not taped it to the boom arm. In fact I have just placed it loose on the boom arm at ear hight (same position as the audyssey mic), I can imagine some heavy vibrations here, maybe this can also be a reason for the not so good results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10352 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
The presence of the sofa should have a *large* effect on the calibration, so you should leave it there. Unless you're going to remove it permanently, of course wink.gif The calibration should be done in the environment that is present when you listen. I strongly urge that you invest in a real musician's boom microphone stand. They're only about $20. The Audyssey FAQ includes some suggested models at d)1. Do I really need to put the Audyssey mic on a tripod or stand?

I dunno how much vibration the subwoofer's mic would be experiencing, so I'm not sure what to say about that. "Obviously" you want it to vibrate as little as possible.

However, that does bring up the question of how the separate calibrations would interact with one another. Although it's not identical to what you have, recommendations are available at f)9. What's the best way to set up Audyssey when also using Velodyne's SMS-1 room EQ system?

Selden
post #10353 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

Many thanks Alan! I did post in the subwoofer section and hopefully I will get some more useful information over there.

Do you think that the overall soundstage will be better if a place the center on the AV rack? I do not know if you read that I have tilted it upwards (with damping feets) towards the listening position?

/Philip

Yes, getting the center channel closer to the display is always a good thing. smile.gif

Try it, you got nothing to lose.
post #10354 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 AM

hi guys,

i have a denon avr 1913. I've been using for 6 months now. It is fantastic. I never used the mic to setup the speakers. I manually inputted how far each speakers are and that was it. I am wonder, is it better to use the mic to set it up? Does the mic actually do anything more than just set the distance of the speaker? i know it also selects the Hertz. I used it the first time and it selected like a higher frequency than what the speakers manufactuer suggested, that's why i ended up manually setting up the speakers. I have the energy take classic 5.1 speakers.
post #10355 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafizur View Post

hi guys,

i have a denon avr 1913. I've been using for 6 months now. It is fantastic. I never used the mic to setup the speakers. I manually inputted how far each speakers are and that was it. I am wonder, is it better to use the mic to set it up? Does the mic actually do anything more than just set the distance of the speaker? i know it also selects the Hertz. I used it the first time and it selected like a higher frequency than what the speakers manufactuer suggested, that's why i ended up manually setting up the speakers. I have the energy take classic 5.1 speakers.

Short answer - YES!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
post #10356 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Definitely use the mic and run Audyssey. The Audyssey MultEQ calibration does a LOT more than just set the levels and distance.

The manufacturer specs for those speakers are probably generous as they are tiny satellites. When you run Audyssey it actually measures their response in your room, so the crossover values are going to be more accurate because it takes into account the interaction of the speaker with your room acoustics.

Additionally, MultEQ creates custom EQ filers for each of your speakers to remove negative impacts of room acoustics. And, after you run Audyssey, you are able to use supplement technologies like Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10357 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Definitely use the mic and run Audyssey. The Audyssey MultEQ calibration does a LOT more than just set the levels and distance.

The manufacturer specs for those speakers are probably generous as they are tiny satellites. When you run Audyssey it actually measures their response in your room, so the crossover values are going to be more accurate because it takes into account the interaction of the speaker with your room acoustics.

Additionally, MultEQ creates custom EQ filers for each of your speakers to remove negative impacts of room acoustics. And, after you run Audyssey, you are able to use supplement technologies like Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.

thanks so much for the reply, i don't really have a mic stand, so i'll try to place it on top of a stick or something to make it look like a stand i guess. But once i'm done the set up, what kind of change can i expect? How can i seee or hear some difference?
post #10358 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Either buy a cheap stand or... You can use a table lamp. Unscrew the nut holding down the lamp shade. It should fit. (Not that I've done that or anything...)

Yes, you will see/hear a difference, especially at lower volumes with dynamic eq.

Do it!
SanchoPanza likes this.

post #10359 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:

The presence of the sofa should have a *large* effect on the calibration, so you should leave it there. Unless you're going to remove it permanently, of course wink.gif The calibration should be done in the environment that is present when you listen. I strongly urge that you invest in a real musician's boom microphone stand. They're only about $20. The Audyssey FAQ includes some suggested models at d)1. Do I really need to put the Audyssey mic on a tripod or stand?

I dunno how much vibration the subwoofer's mic would be experiencing, so I'm not sure what to say about that. "Obviously" you want it to vibrate as little as possible.

However, that does bring up the question of how the separate calibrations would interact with one another. Although it's not identical to what you have, recommendations are available at f)9. What's the best way to set up Audyssey when also using Velodyne's SMS-1 room EQ system?

Then I guess that I need to buy a musicians stand to be able to calibrate on the listening posion if the sofa should stay in place.

I have read that it should be fine to first calibrate the subwoofer with its internal eq and then run Audyssey.

Your help in this matter is really appreciated, many thanks!
post #10360 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
When you get a musician's boom mic stand, make sure you get an adapter for the microphone: the mics recommended for use with REW have the same threads as are used by cameras, as does the Radio Shack sound level meter. They aren't the same as the threads in musicians' microphones. Some stands come with an adapter, some don't.

Calibrating with the subwoofer's EQ first does let the subwoofer's EQ do most of the work, leaving that much less for Audyssey to do, so that (in principle, anyhow) it can do a better job. Obviously in your situation this isn't the case. frown.gif

You're very welcome for what little help I've provided which isn't misleading. JD pointed out in a PM that the boom microphone stand mentioned in the FAQ actually winds up costing more like $40-50 with the adapter, but I'm sure people have written about finding less expensive models.

Selden
post #10361 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

When you get a musician's boom mic stand, make sure you get an adapter for the microphone: the mics recommended for use with REW have the same threads as are used by cameras, as does the Radio Shack sound level meter. They aren't the same as the threads in musicians' microphones. Some stands come with an adapter, some don't.

Calibrating with the subwoofer's EQ first does let the subwoofer's EQ do most of the work, leaving that much less for Audyssey to do, so that (in principle, anyhow) it can do a better job. Obviously in your situation this isn't the case. frown.gif

You're very welcome for what little help I've provided which isn't misleading. JD pointed out in a PM that the boom microphone stand mentioned in the FAQ actually winds up costing more like $40-50 with the adapter, but I'm sure people have written about finding less expensive models.

I did find a quite cheap microphone stand - http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/ljud-bild/pa-ljud-underhallning/mikrofoner-tillbehor/mikrofonstativ-tillbehor/mikrofonstativ-med-bom-p24521, now I just need to find a suitable adapter.

I may try to leave the subwoofer eq and just go with Audyssey (I think that I've tried it before but I may be wrong). Do you think that it will be best to make all 8 measurments "on the sofa" when I have received the stand and adapter? I mean if it's best to skip the front and back and just stick to the main seat and around (you have seen the pictures so you probably know what i mean smile.gif )
post #10362 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

Either buy a cheap stand or... You can use a table lamp. Unscrew the nut holding down the lamp shade. It should fit. (Not that I've done that or anything...)

Yes, you will see/hear a difference, especially at lower volumes with dynamic eq.

Do it!

So do i have to turn on this "dynamic eq" or does it automaticlly happen when the volume is low? Like after i set up with the auddesy, does everything happen on its own or will i need to do somethign else? When i watch movies now, most of them switches to DTS HD or Dolbi Digital or True HD
post #10363 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did find a quite cheap microphone stand - http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/ljud-bild/pa-ljud-underhallning/mikrofoner-tillbehor/mikrofonstativ-tillbehor/mikrofonstativ-med-bom-p24521, now I just need to find a suitable adapter.

I may try to leave the subwoofer eq and just go with Audyssey (I think that I've tried it before but I may be wrong). Do you think that it will be best to make all 8 measurments "on the sofa" when I have received the stand and adapter? I mean if it's best to skip the front and back and just stick to the main seat and around (you have seen the pictures so you probably know what i mean smile.gif )

I would do a quick 2 point Audyssey at the MLP without moving the mic at all - trying different sub placements, sub EQ, sub gain settings, etc. - until I got satisfactory bass at the MLP. Only then would I run the full 8 positions.

If the bass sucks with a 2 point calibration, it won't get much better with 8 points.

Quote:

So do i have to turn on this "dynamic eq" or does it automaticlly happen when the volume is low? Like after i set up with the auddesy, does everything happen on its own or will i need to do somethign else? When i watch movies now, most of them switches to DTS HD or Dolbi Digital or True HD

Dynamic EQ is engaged by default on most AVRs after running Audyssey. You can find it in the AUDIO/AUDYSSEY menu. Make sure you turn OFF Dynamic Volume (unless you like that sort of thing....most don't).
post #10364 of 10615 Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's the kind of clip I use for my Audyssey mic. Hopefully you can find something similar in your region.
post #10365 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Here's the kind of clip I use for my Audyssey mic. Hopefully you can find something similar in your region.

Thanks! I found this one in a store nearby my office: http://www.jam.se/studio/mikrofontillb/A82944-Adam-Hall_Adapter_kulled_mikstativ-kamera__DCAM1/ - wouldn't that be a better choice? It looks exactly as the one recommended in the Audyssey support forum. Isn't it hard to fix the rather large microphone base on the one that you have?
post #10366 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
^^
Yes.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10367 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Whatever you prefer. smile.gif

For TV, I use Dolby PLIIx Cinema. Music, Dolby PLIIx Music. Blu Ray, whatever is appropriate to the source signal (i.e. True HD, DTS, Dolby Digital, etc.).

Multi-Stereo seems to put out the best for me in regards to my 2313.

I tried Dolby PLII for both music and TV, but sound seems way lower compared to multi-stereo....

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY* 

PIONEER KRP-500M
(2) Monitor Audio RX6 towers - (1) Monitor Audio RX center - (2) Monitor Audio RX FX surrounds
(1) Rythmik FV15HP-SE sub - (1) Denon 2313CI avr
post #10368 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Ummm...multi-stereo outputs the same full range signal to all speakers. This is also known as "Party Mode", only to be used when you have a lot of people in the room and just would like some background music that surrounds the entire room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

I tried Dolby PLII for both music and TV, but sound seems way lower compared to multi-stereo....

You should use the correct surround mode for the content...and then turn up the master volume. wink.gif

As a side note, a buddy of mine has been using "Party Mode" for everything, for years and years....every time I go over to his house I explain why he shouldn't do that, and he nods and agrees, but the next time I'm over it's back in multi channel stereo again. rolleyes.gif I guess there's just no accounting for preference sometimes.
post #10369 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! I found this one in a store nearby my office: http://www.jam.se/studio/mikrofontillb/A82944-Adam-Hall_Adapter_kulled_mikstativ-kamera__DCAM1/ - wouldn't that be a better choice? It looks exactly as the one recommended in the Audyssey support forum. Isn't it hard to fix the rather large microphone base on the one that you have?

Much better! I need to find one of those.
post #10370 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Ummm...multi-stereo outputs the same full range signal to all speakers. This is also known as "Party Mode", only to be used when you have a lot of people in the room and just would like some background music that surrounds the entire room.
You should use the correct surround mode for the content...and then turn up the master volume. wink.gif

As a side note, a buddy of mine has been using "Party Mode" for everything, for years and years....every time I go over to his house I explain why he shouldn't do that, and he nods and agrees, but the next time I'm over it's back in multi channel stereo again. rolleyes.gif I guess there's just no accounting for preference sometimes.

It seems that my 2313 automatically goes to multi-stereo. Is there a set way that I can keep it on Dolby PLII?

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY* 

PIONEER KRP-500M
(2) Monitor Audio RX6 towers - (1) Monitor Audio RX center - (2) Monitor Audio RX FX surrounds
(1) Rythmik FV15HP-SE sub - (1) Denon 2313CI avr
post #10371 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Page 69 of your owners manual. smile.gif
post #10372 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM

okay, so got the auddesyy set up and everything. Just want to know, when i watch sattelite/cable.. what mode should the audio be in? Also, when i listen to music via airplay.. should i change the audio mode? the receiver always shows STEREO. It only changes to DTS or Dolby Digital when i watch bluray movies.
post #10373 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

@ purplerain -- All Denon AVR's work the same way -- by default they memorize the surround mode based on input source and signal. So for example if you want a 2ch signal from your cable box to get PLII Cinema, whereas a 2ch signal from your CD player should stay in STEREO mode, it will remember the difference, and these choices will not affect how it handles a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal.

So if your receiver is defaulting to Multich Stereo when it gets a 2ch input signal, that means you chose that surround mode at some point in the past and now it is remembering your preference. So simply change the surround mode and it will remember the new choice the next time.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10374 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

okay, so got the auddesyy set up and everything. Just want to know, when i watch sattelite/cable.. what mode should the audio be in? Also, when i listen to music via airplay.. should i change the audio mode? the receiver always shows STEREO. It only changes to DTS or Dolby Digital when i watch bluray movies.

That's really up to you. Some people like leaving stereo as stereo, others like upmixing with Pro Logic or Multch Stereo as discussed just above. Use your ears wink.gif

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10375 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 12:05 PM

oh.. ok ok.. so when i press the RED (music) button on the remote, it will switch to those different mode. Prollogic and stuff. I see.

Another quick questions, when i play my ps4 and let's say i'm playing call of duty.. the receiver automatically switches to dolby digital. Would it be better to press the GAME button on the remote? or use what original dolby feed that coming from the game. Like if i press the game button.. will i lose certain audio detail or something?
post #10376 of 10615 Old 03-27-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In almost all cases, if the input signal is already multichannel (5.1 or better) you don't have to do anything, just accept the default decoding of the signal and let it play. Usually you only really have to make decisions is with how to handle stereo (2ch) input signals.

The only time you would need to change the surround mode with a 5.1+ input signal is if you have MORE than 5.1 speakers and want to matrix sound to those extra speakers. For example, if you have a 7.1 setup with surround backs you would need to apply PLIIx to matrix a 5.1 signal to 7.1 channels.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10377 of 10615 Old 03-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If the sources are assigned to the same source name, then you can change the INPUT MODE setting to listen to analog while watching HDMI video, but no HDMI video and audio from different sources.

Thanks for the response.  I'm sorry, but I do not understand what this means.  Are you saying, for example, that I plug in my RCA plugs from my phono preamp to the input labeled "CBL/SAT" on the AVR, with my cable box  running though HDMI to the port labeled "CBL/SAT"?  If that is what I am supposed to do to be able to listen to records while watching sports, can you walk me through the menus to change the audio source, please?  

Also, is there a way to have the AVR play an AirPlay device while using HDMI video input for any sources?

Thanks.

post #10378 of 10615 Old 03-28-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Also, is there a way to have the AVR play an AirPlay device while using HDMI video input for any sources?

No, but this feature was added for the newer E/X series models.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10379 of 10615 Old 03-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 309
For some reason when using airplay while in stereo mode my sub is not used, but when put in movie mode it is. Suggestions to make sub work in stereo?

Pioneer Elite SC-71 - Polk RT20P (w/ 4 8" subs) - Polk CS245i center - Polk Monitor 75T
Custom MartySub, 18" Dayton 460 7cuft' cabinet w/ Inuke3000dsp at 1400 watts over 200lb! For sale : (
Toshiba 55" LED - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
post #10380 of 10615 Old 03-28-2014, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post

Thanks for the response.  I'm sorry, but I do not understand what this means.  Are you saying, for example, that I plug in my RCA plugs from my phono preamp to the input labeled "CBL/SAT" on the AVR, with my cable box  running though HDMI to the port labeled "CBL/SAT"?  If that is what I am supposed to do to be able to listen to records while watching sports, can you walk me through the menus to change the audio source, please?  

Thanks.

Correct. Main --> Setup --> Input Select --> Analog (p. 110 Owner's manual)

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page