The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 359 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10741 of 10744 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
^^
1. Zone 2 should not pass any audio unless powered ON. Try a soft reset (unplug the unit for 10 minutes) and if no joy, then a microprocessor reset.

2. There are 3 settings for Dynamic Volume (Light, Medium, Heavy). Also try setting the Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset to 10db.
derkleia likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10744 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
1. It sounds like your amp assignment is wrong and it's actually sending Surr.Back channel info to Zone 2. DTS+PLII shouldn't even be an option if main zone is configured for 5.1, because the DTS signal should already be 5.1 (no upmix needed). So something is fishy with your setup. If you want to run 7.1 in main zone then you should mimic the setup for Zone 3 with an external amp powering the zone speakers. Or, alternately, if it's just video programming from the TV, you could connect the amp/speakers to the audio output of the TV directly.

2. That is exactly what Audyssey Dynamic Volume is for. Set it at the "strength" setting that allows you to watch the program without adjusting the volume manually. This setting (like everything in the "Audyssey" sub menu) is memorized separately for each input.
derkleia likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10743 of 10744 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
1. Zone 2 should not pass any audio unless powered ON. Try a soft reset (unplug the unit for 10 minutes) and if no joy, then a microprocessor reset.

2. There are 3 settings for Dynamic Volume (Light, Medium, Heavy). Also try setting the Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset to 10db.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
1. It sounds like your amp assignment is wrong and it's actually sending Surr.Back channel info to Zone 2. DTS+PLII shouldn't even be an option if main zone is configured for 5.1, because the DTS signal should already be 5.1 (no upmix needed). So something is fishy with your setup. If you want to run 7.1 in main zone then you should mimic the setup for Zone 3 with an external amp powering the zone speakers. Or, alternately, if it's just video programming from the TV, you could connect the amp/speakers to the audio output of the TV directly.

2. That is exactly what Audyssey Dynamic Volume is for. Set it at the "strength" setting that allows you to watch the program without adjusting the volume manually. This setting (like everything in the "Audyssey" sub menu) is memorized separately for each input.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I will try the suggestions and report back in case someone else is having similar issues to me. I'm sure the dialogue issue will be sorted quickly now.
Not so sure how quickly I can resolve the Zone 2 audio issue though and will try reset and alternate config options.
BTW: It doesn't seem like just the Surround Back channel audio (effects or whatever) but rather a "complete" audio signal. It is all quite listenable in Zone 2 with dialogue, effects and music etc being output there?
To clarify further if I change the sound program back to a 5.1 option (like straight 5.1 DTS) no output is produced from Zone 2. I guess one answer is not to use a 7.1 program but as it all still seems to comes through in the Main Zone it's too easy to switch to and even use one by mistake if you're checking out the sound program options.

As a related aside I just want to let you guys know how much you are appreciated! You are always so helpful!
You answer my (sometimes pretty stupid) questions either with direct answers or good options to try and never send me back to RTFM.

I am sure I am one of many who think the same!! Thanks guys. More power to you!
post #10744 of 10744 Old Today, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkleia View Post
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I will try the suggestions and report back in case someone else is having similar issues to me. I'm sure the dialogue issue will be sorted quickly now.
Not so sure how quickly I can resolve the Zone 2 audio issue though and will try reset and alternate config options.
BTW: It doesn't seem like just the Surround Back channel audio (effects or whatever) but rather a "complete" audio signal. It is all quite listenable in Zone 2 with dialogue, effects and music etc being output there?
To clarify further if I change the sound program back to a 5.1 option (like straight 5.1 DTS) no output is produced from Zone 2. I guess one answer is not to use a 7.1 program but as it all still seems to comes through in the Main Zone it's too easy to switch to and even use one by mistake if you're checking out the sound program options.
Well, it looks like I solved my issues with JD and Batpigs advice so thanks again guys and I hope this helps others who may experience similar issues.

Dialogue Volume
Easy one first:
In the Settings / Audio / Dialogue Level my settings were -8.5dB. I changed it to -4.0dB which appears to have improved the dialogue levels. Not sure why it was set to -8.5dB when the default is zero? I did do the Audyssey setup originaslly so maybe that set this? In any case, time will tell and a little fine adjustment may be needed.

Zone 2 Unwanted Output
A couple of issues found in the config when I went back in to the setup. Firstly I had the Main zone set with all of the possible speaker outputs active. Eg. Height and Width. I have 5.1 in Zone 1 so I set the width and height speakers to None in Manual Speaker Setup area. I believe this eliminated the Surround modes that should not be used in my case. They no longer appear as an option when checking the sound programs available.
Also, on checking the Amp Assignment in the Manual Audio setup I noticed it was set to "Main Only" as 7.1 so I changed it to "Zone 2" which removed the two rear surround speakers from the OSD room speaker placement image displayed with the setup parameters.

Finally to test and compare. I used the same video program (Dolby) I was watching last night when I discovered the problems. I now only have "Dolby Digital" (which is defaulted) and 4 or so other "modes" available such as Virtual and Stereo etc. I expect this is the way it ought to be for my setup. The speaker output on the AVR front panel is now showing a 5.1 display and a bonus which I was suspicious about but unsure, is that the sound has improved from surround speakers 4 & 5 (side surround) which I have mounted high on the wall just behind me at the rear of my (rather small) listening area.

In short everything appears to be emanating from where it needs to be now but strange my setup was such a hodgepodge as I am usually more thorough.
I must have rushed it when I set it up originally and a little later did the Audyssey without checking further.

Oh, one further strange occurrence is when I did the soft reset by powering off the amp for 10mins as part of checking the above, when I powered everything back on my Samsung Series 7000 LED TV was not receiving any video signal from the Receiver off the HDMI cable? The audio via optical was fine. I had to power cycle everything a number of times and then checked all my HDMI cables connection on the TV and receiver and it worked. Took me about 15mins of stuffing around. It's happened before a few times when I was setting everything up but not since and not sure why. I can eventually solve it but a little strange nonetheless? Possibly a slightly loose fitting HDMI connection at the Receiver?

Last edited by derkleia; Today at 07:19 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page