The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 371 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11101 of 11127 Old 03-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks JD, I did that and it works fine...only the display letterings are large and fuzzy (looked SD compared to HD). I'm just gonna leave IP Scaler On since it doesn't affect anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
AFAIK, the GUI display is the same on all D&M models. Try setting "i/p Scaler" to OFF and I'll bet you don't lose the GUI overlay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11102 of 11127 Old 03-08-2015, 03:11 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Thanks, I think Ill leave it off. As My xbox one and dish hopper should be sufficient.
As far as video conversion, do you recommend on or off ?
It must remain ON if you want the GUI/menu to overlay on the source video, otherwise the GUI/menu will display on a black background.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #11103 of 11127 Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a question regarding audio output for Monitor 2 HDMI. My current setup has Monitor 1 HDMI connected to a projector and the main zone audio outputs connected to the 7.x speakers in my media room. I have zone 2 and 3 pre-outs connected to 2 external 12ch amps (one for indoor, one for outdoor), and with the knowledge from this forum the setup works perfectly. I can play a movie in the media room, and send completely different audio sources (Pandora, iTunes, etc.) to the rest of the house as well as a completely different audio source outside. This has proven to be a very reliable, versatile setup, made easy enough for my wife to operate thanks to the Harmony Ultimate and companion app on her iPhone

I recently plugged an HDMI cable into Monitor 2 and ran it to another TV in an adjacent room, and I get picture but no sound through that TV's speakers (it's a game room, so no need for more speakers). Since the main zone is set up to send sound to the 7.1 speakers in the media room, and zone 2 and 3 are sending audio to external amps, i'm guessing that sound isn't going to be output through Monitor 2 via HDMI to the second screen. Can't really seem to find anything in the manual that confirms this suspicion, but i'm guessing sound for the main zone either goes through HDMI or the 7.x audio outputs, but not both.

Is there a way to get audio to that second TV in this config? if not, it's not a big deal as there's plenty of sound coming from the media room. Just may not always want to power up all the equipment in the media room just to watch a game while shooting pool and enjoying adult bevs in the game room

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.
post #11104 of 11127 Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by efenska View Post
Have a question regarding audio output for Monitor 2 HDMI. My current setup has Monitor 1 HDMI connected to a projector and the main zone audio outputs connected to the 7.x speakers in my media room. I have zone 2 and 3 pre-outs connected to 2 external 12ch amps (one for indoor, one for outdoor), and with the knowledge from this forum the setup works perfectly. I can play a movie in the media room, and send completely different audio sources (Pandora, iTunes, etc.) to the rest of the house as well as a completely different audio source outside. This has proven to be a very reliable, versatile setup, made easy enough for my wife to operate thanks to the Harmony Ultimate and companion app on her iPhone

I recently plugged an HDMI cable into Monitor 2 and ran it to another TV in an adjacent room, and I get picture but no sound through that TV's speakers (it's a game room, so no need for more speakers). Since the main zone is set up to send sound to the 7.1 speakers in the media room, and zone 2 and 3 are sending audio to external amps, i'm guessing that sound isn't going to be output through Monitor 2 via HDMI to the second screen. Can't really seem to find anything in the manual that confirms this suspicion, but i'm guessing sound for the main zone either goes through HDMI or the 7.x audio outputs, but not both.

Is there a way to get audio to that second TV in this config? if not, it's not a big deal as there's plenty of sound coming from the media room. Just may not always want to power up all the equipment in the media room just to watch a game while shooting pool and enjoying adult bevs in the game room

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.
You don't mention what specific model you have but I can assume it's a 3313CI, based on your presence in the xx13 thread and the fact that you mention 3 zones.

That said, the Monitor 2 output is simply a MIRRORED output of the Monitor 1 output, not independent, so when the receiver is processing the audio to your 7.1 setup in the media room the audio has been "stripped" and only video will pass out of the Monitor outs (both 1 and 2). The intent of the parallel Monitor 1/2 outputs is for two displays in one room (i.e. a projector and a flat screen).

To send audio+video to another room, you want to use the Zone 2 HDMI output, which is an independent matrix output. It just passes through an HDMI source unmolested to another HDMI "sink" for processing (in this case the game room TV). However, be aware that it's also part of Zone 2, so you are stuck with the source that is on Zone 2 for both your Zone 2 audio distribution and the Zone 2 HDMI output.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11105 of 11127 Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM

Thank you, Batpig... Correct, it's an AVR-3313CI. Kind of thought that was the case as there's no sound on Monitor 1 or 2. That means i'll need to re-purpose zone 2 for the game room TV and use the zone 3 pre-out for the whole-house audio. Glad I went with an AVR that gave me some expandability
post #11106 of 11127 Old 03-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Having a slight but annoying issue with my 1913. When I power on my system, which is now all turned on by my Harmony One, the 1913 always switches source to TV audio. As the system initially sets up, it starts up in HDMI 1, as it should, but then changes to TV. This seems to happen no matter what I use to turn on the system.
System is also through a Directv box and Samsung 8500. Any help would be appreciated!
post #11107 of 11127 Old 03-15-2015, 12:54 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Having a slight but annoying issue with my 1913. When I power on my system, which is now all turned on by my Harmony One, the 1913 always switches source to TV audio. As the system initially sets up, it starts up in HDMI 1, as it should, but then changes to TV. This seems to happen no matter what I use to turn on the system.
System is also through a Directv box and Samsung 8500. Any help would be appreciated!
This happens because you have HDMI (ARC) enabled on the TV and HDMI Control enabled on the AVR. On the Harmony set a long enough delay after powering on the AVR before selecting the input you want to watch in order to allow the AVR time to switch to "TV Audio" first.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 03-15-2015 at 01:37 PM.
post #11108 of 11127 Old 03-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
This happens because you have HDMI (ARC) enabled on the TV and HDMI Control enabled on the AVR. On the Harmony set a delay after powering on the AVR before selecting the input you want to allow the AVR time to switch to "TV Audio" first.

So set an input delay from Harmony to AVR? Looks like it's set to 1000ms. I'll try 2000ms and see if that works.
post #11109 of 11127 Old 03-15-2015, 01:40 PM

That didn't seem to work. Set delay in progressively all the way up to 5000ms and it didn't work. Do I disable the ARC or HDMI settings?
post #11110 of 11127 Old 03-15-2015, 03:28 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Although you can certainly disable HDMI(ARC) and use an optical cable from the TV-->AVR, other Harmony owners have made the addition of the delay resolve the issue as well.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11111 of 11127 Old 03-15-2015, 06:51 PM

Bummer. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Doesn't seem to help with the delay. Thanks anyways!
post #11112 of 11127 Old 03-16-2015, 04:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Bummer. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Doesn't seem to help with the delay. Thanks anyways!
Where do you have the delay?

TV --> AVR/Source name ---> Source ---> (delay) ----> AVR/Source name again

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11113 of 11127 Old 03-16-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Where do you have the delay?

TV --> AVR/Source name ---> Source ---> (delay) ----> AVR/Source name again

I had the delay switched in the Source. I switched it in increments all the way up the 5000ms, but it didn't seem to matter. I didn't change any of the other delays though.
post #11114 of 11127 Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3313 and have just cut cable. I've installed an antenna whose signal is distributed through the house with RG6. Is it possible to run the antenna signal through the 3313 with some kind of adapter, or do I have to run the rg6 to the tv and then send audio back to the receiver?

thanks!
post #11115 of 11127 Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 PM
585-645-1006

^^
For FM radio, sure, otherwise, for TV, it's got to go to the TV.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11116 of 11127 Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM

I have a problem with an AVR-1513 that is connected to a Samsung SmartTV, a pair of Infinity Primus 3-way speakers, a Polk Audio CS10 subwoofer, and a Polk Audio PSW10 center channel.

The issue is really straightforward, when I originally set up the system I plugged in the two Infinity Primus speakers and I get audio out of the Infinity Primus speakers without many issues. I have them set to Large and my setting was set to LFE+MAIN.

A few days later I hooked up the CS10 subwoofer but didn't get any audio out of it. I made sure that the on-screen system reported that the subwoofer was "Yes", but when I sent the test tones through - nothing. The subwoofer is connected via a Mediabridge Ultra series subwoofer cable. I figured there might be something amiss. I tried setting the Primus speakers to SMALL, but still I received nothing from the LFE/LFE+MAIN.

A week later I connected the PSW10 and made sure that this speaker was active as well. I made sure that all of these speakers were set to small and that the Subwoofer was set to LFE. However, I was still not receiving audio from the CS10 nor the PSW10 and I couldn't figure out why. I was, however, still receiving audio from the Primus speakers just fine. I would get some cut outs if I cranked them up too high though. Still haven't figured that part out.

So right now I'm trying to figure out:

1) How can I get audio from the Polks as the sub and center
2) How should I have the system setup so that these speakers are efficiently configured
3) What would cause the system to cut out - the receiver seems to cut off almost. I certainly lose the output through the HDMI when it happens.
post #11117 of 11127 Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Liked: 11
"I have a problem with an AVR-1513

First step would be to turn it off at the mains for 20 minutes or so.
If that doesn't work try a full reset as per page 54 of the user manual.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

David
post #11118 of 11127 Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorypierce View Post
I have a problem with an AVR-1513 that is connected to a Samsung SmartTV, a pair of Infinity Primus 3-way speakers, a Polk Audio CS10 subwoofer, and a Polk Audio PSW10 center channel.

The issue is really straightforward, when I originally set up the system I plugged in the two Infinity Primus speakers and I get audio out of the Infinity Primus speakers without many issues. I have them set to Large and my setting was set to LFE+MAIN.

A few days later I hooked up the CS10 subwoofer but didn't get any audio out of it. I made sure that the on-screen system reported that the subwoofer was "Yes", but when I sent the test tones through - nothing. The subwoofer is connected via a Mediabridge Ultra series subwoofer cable. I figured there might be something amiss. I tried setting the Primus speakers to SMALL, but still I received nothing from the LFE/LFE+MAIN.

A week later I connected the PSW10 and made sure that this speaker was active as well. I made sure that all of these speakers were set to small and that the Subwoofer was set to LFE. However, I was still not receiving audio from the CS10 nor the PSW10 and I couldn't figure out why. I was, however, still receiving audio from the Primus speakers just fine. I would get some cut outs if I cranked them up too high though. Still haven't figured that part out.

So right now I'm trying to figure out:

1) How can I get audio from the Polks as the sub and center
2) How should I have the system setup so that these speakers are efficiently configured
3) What would cause the system to cut out - the receiver seems to cut off almost. I certainly lose the output through the HDMI when it happens.
1. Test the cable by pulling it from the sub pre-out and rubbing your finger over the tip. If you don't hear static from the sub, either sub or cable is bad, otherwise the issue is with the AVR.
2. Sub = LFE; Speakers = SMALL/80Hz
3. If the AVR is deemed to be the culprit after doing item 1 above, then you'll want to first try doing a soft reset by simply unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes. If still no sub test tone, then reset the microprocessor, several times in a row if necessary.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11119 of 11127 Old 03-19-2015, 06:31 PM

Okay guys here is where we are. I reset the AVR-1513 a few times and I was able to get signal/tone from the center channel speaker and it is working fine - Yay.

However, when I tried the sub test of just touching the cable - I never got any sort of response from the speaker. Its a brand new out of the box speaker so I don't think it arrived dead so I'll try some other cable and see what happens. I've gone into the menu and just told it that there is no sub until I can figure out what's going on.
post #11120 of 11127 Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You can use a "yellow" RCA composite video cable as a suitable substitute for a coax digital cable.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11121 of 11127 Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What do most run Dynamic EQ at (ie. Reference Level offset)?

Is 10dB the recommended for daily tv watching, or is it 15dB?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #11122 of 11127 Old 03-20-2015, 12:25 PM
585-645-1006

^^
10db is the most common recommended if center speaker dialog is tough to make out when Dynamic EQ is engaged, but as with most of the settings, it purely depends on your personal preference.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11123 of 11127 Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 PM

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Quick question for you guys. I have 3313ci hooked to network, I can play pandora, however my AirPlay is not a option on my iPhone. What am I doing wrong?

**EDIT** disconnected wifi and reconnected fixed problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11124 of 11127 Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello fellow 3313CI owners.

I searched but did not find anything relating to an issue I'm having with the volume display on the TV.

I normally saw the volume display overlay when changing the volume with video on HDMI1 from the "GAME" input which is my TIVO.

Now the volume display overlay does not show any more when I'm on the "GAME" input. I see it when on every other input, just not the "GAME" input.

I even tried changing the HDMI input assignments so my Apple TV came in on the "GAME" input. Same thing, no volume overlay for "GAME" input.

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

Cheers,
TJ

Last edited by RayZorFist; 03-26-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #11125 of 11127 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup. When you set Video Conversion to OFF on the GAME input, you also lose the GUI/Volume overlay.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11126 of 11127 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks JD! That did the trick! Sad when my receiver is so complicated *I* can't figure it out.

I did not realize I had changed that nor that it was settable per input.

Now, another question perhaps...

What setting should I use for Video Mode? Auto or Movie? This is for watching TV or movies, no video games.

Cheers,
TJ
post #11127 of 11127 Unread Today, 01:46 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Best left at "Auto" unless you have Zone 2 speakers nearby playing the same source and there is a "delay" in which case you would set it to "Game."

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page