The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 373 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11161 of 11171 Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post
I look through the thread and didn't see a real answer to my problem.
My 2112ci will connect to the Net because i can stream Net radio but when i try and check for firmware update is says connection failed.
The Denon servers have been down all week. Try again next week.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 11171 Old 04-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey JD,
Quick question, I'm looking to upgrade my 2310ci which I really love mainly for these features:
'Optical Out'
'Phono'
'Audio IN' (at least six)
'A/C Outlets'
...and the plethora of legacy I/O (S-Video, Component)
(see pics)
Only problem is I'm running out of HDMI. I want to stay with Denon but also don't want to omit the things I mentioned. I can probably live w/o the AC outlets but Phono is a must. Also, I mentioned way back before that Denon has also omitted the screen input (source) but only shows the output speaker icons. Do the current ones show IN/OUT through remote switchable?
What would be the closest model? Budget is under $700. Thanks!

Input/Output display icons

I/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The Denon servers have been down all week. Try again next week.
post #11163 of 11171 Old 04-24-2015, 05:03 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Hey JD,
Quick question, I'm looking to upgrade my 2310ci which I really love mainly for these features:
'Optical Out'
'Phono'
'Audio IN' (at least six)
'A/C Outlets'
...and the plethora of legacy I/O (S-Video, Component)
(see pics)
Only problem is I'm running out of HDMI. I want to stay with Denon but also don't want to omit the things I mentioned. I can probably live w/o the AC outlets but Phono is a must. Also, I mentioned way back before that Denon has also omitted the screen input (source) but only shows the output speaker icons. Do the current ones show IN/OUT through remote switchable?
What would be the closest model? Budget is under $700. Thanks!
The GUI displayed on the TV shows both INPUT and OUTPUT speaker/sub icons, while the front panel display on the X3100W and lower models shows the INPUT icons and the X4100W and higher can show either INPUT or OUTPUT. The X4100W is the lowest model with a PHONO input so you may be better served purchasing a 3rd party PHONO pre-amp for about $50. Although the 2310CI would be between the X2100W and X3100W, you may be better served simply buying an external HDMI switch from Monoprice and keep using the 2310CI.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #11164 of 11171 Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What a huge difference in price between my 2310ci and the rests. I paid $490 for mine and the newer ones are all over $1K with less than I want - besides a few more HDMI, newer Dolby and Audyssey. Huge difference!
post #11165 of 11171 Old 04-27-2015, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received a call from the service technician. He confirmed that one or more of the firmware sections are corrupt. This is very peculiar because I have not performed any manual firmware updates on the unit since last year, and it was working fine a month ago. He's going to perform a factory firmware update, followed by a web update to bring the receiver to the current version (whatever that is).

He also indicated that Denon's firmware update website has been down frequently over the past two weeks.

I'll keep you posted as to the results. Crossing my fingers the flash will be successful and that the network interface will once again work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTip View Post
Having the same problem here! I've had my Denon 3313ci since November 2013 (working fine) and I fired it up today to check for a firmware update...

- no link light on the switch (swapped cable, changed switch ports)
- no firmware version is shown in the UI
- no mac address is shown in the UI
- all other firmware and network options are greyed out
- microprocessor and network resets (several each) have made no difference

This is really quite annoying!

I've taken my 3313ci in for diagnostics at my local Abt Electronics (reporting the symptoms above) and I should hear back in a few days.

Does anyone have any updates on this issue? Is it really true that all these AVR's are suffering from hardware failure, or could this just be some type of non-volatile memory corruption issue?
post #11166 of 11171 Old 04-28-2015, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Just received a call from the service technician. He confirmed that one or more of the firmware sections are corrupt. This is very peculiar because I have not performed any manual firmware updates on the unit since last year, and it was working fine a month ago. He's going to perform a factory firmware update, followed by a web update to bring the receiver to the current version (whatever that is).

He also indicated that Denon's firmware update website has been down frequently over the past two weeks.

I'll keep you posted as to the results. Crossing my fingers the flash will be successful and that the network interface will once again work.
Crossing my fingers with you! I've also suspected the firmware being to blame. My receiver worked perfectly until the fateful day I saw the message for a new firmware. Since then the network hasn't worked.
post #11167 of 11171 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pndiku View Post
Crossing my fingers with you! I've also suspected the firmware being to blame. My receiver worked perfectly until the fateful day I saw the message for a new firmware. Since then the network hasn't worked.
The technician finished diagnosing my 3313ci and found the following:

- network interface not working (symptoms as I described earlier)
- usb port not working (this was news to me as I don't use the usb)
- he factory flashed the receiver via the serial port (older firmware version). It failed on step 6 of 7 (net/usb firmware module).
- he tried flashing newer versions and it also failed on step 6 of 7.
- diagnosis is the NIC/USB functionality hardware issue on the main HDMI mainboard. cost prohibitive to replace (roughly $500 - $600 parts and labor).

Now, strangely enough, I started tinkering with the receiver again once I got it home and observed the following behaviors:

- I blew compressed air through the front display board and the rear main circuit board (and their respective connections). I'm not sure if it was coincidence, but on at least two occassions I was able to get a DHCP address, the MAC address returned, and the firmware version was visible (basically, it started behaving normally). Unfortunately, if I power cycled the receiver, it would return to the same broken state).

- I also tried power-cylcing all switches, routers, and the cable modem which on one occasion seemed to coincide with the receiver again connecting to the network properly.

- While connected in the prior scenarios, the receiver was able to stream music, successfully check for firmware updates, etc. I had it streaming music for a couple hours before I manually power cycled and then lost network connection.

I don't know what to make of it all yet, but likely, there is a border-line failing component involved. :-( Looks like I'll have a crippled 3313ci for a while (can't justify going out and buying a new receiver).

I may try removing the mainboard, cleaning, and reseating connectors, etc. If I have any revelations while tinkering further, I'll post back.
post #11168 of 11171 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT MAKING ANY RECOMMENDATIONS HERE. WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND YOUR CONSEQUENCES.

I got my 3313ci to complete a successful firmware update by implementing a crude method. Since it appeared there may be a thermal component to the failures

- Powered off and unplugged the unit for 30 minutes
- Powered on the unit and waited until I got an IP address (confirmed in WireShark trace and through Denon setup screens).
- Played streaming radio for about 30 minutes, and also accessed the Web GUI during that time. No issues.
- Removed the cover of the unit and used a hair-dryer in "no heat" mode to blow air in/around the main HDMI board.
- Started a firmware update crossing my fingers and praying I wouldn't brick my receiver.
- The update actually passed Authentication this time and started updating Main, then Sub, then DSP, then GUI...
- The updated completed successfully after 37 minutes. I checked the firmware and its now on 1490-3179-0000-9500-1097
- Went into network settings and turned off DHCP. At this point the IP reverted to 192.168.0.1 in the setup screen.
- Exited setup and went back into network settings and darn it... only "Information" was available and so I was unable to change the network settings.
- Turned off the sophisticated cooling apparatus.
- Performed a network reset from the front panel
- Checked the menus and found it was again unwilling to obtain an IP address (checked WireShark also to confirm this).
- Deployed my sophisticated cooling apparatus once again.
- Sat in the setup screen continually monitor the network menu. After about two minutes of cooling, the network screen jumped to life with all menu options.
- Checked the network info and WireShark again. Sure enough, it got an IP address.
- Turned off the cooler
- Played streaming radio for about 15 minutes, and also accessed the Web GUI during that time. No issues.

That's about all I can report. I'm fairly certain that some component is failing once the unit warms up. However, the strange thing is once I get an IP address and I'm talking on the network, it doesn't seem to have a problem until I power cycle it (I have "Network Control" enabled) or if I attempt to change the network settings.

In the end, I'm not sure its in much better shape. I do have the updated firmware, and I do have a somewhat reliable method for bringing the network connection back to life, but what a PITA that is. If this info helps someone else, then it will be worth the efforts.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT MAKING ANY RECOMMENDATIONS HERE. WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND YOUR CONSEQUENCES.

Last edited by BlueTip; Yesterday at 07:52 PM.
post #11169 of 11171 Old Today, 07:02 AM

I'm looking at new TVs and am thinking about a 4k model. I completely confused as to whether my 3313 will be able to 'really' send the 4k signal.

The 3313 is supposedly supports 4k, but I've read a few posts here that say it really doesn't.

Would I be wasting my money on a 4k TV if I run the signal through the 3313?
post #11170 of 11171 Old Today, 07:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyH View Post
I'm looking at new TVs and am thinking about a 4k model. I completely confused as to whether my 3313 will be able to 'really' send the 4k signal.

The 3313 is supposedly supports 4k, but I've read a few posts here that say it really doesn't.

Would I be wasting my money on a 4k TV if I run the signal through the 3313?
The 3313CI is an HDMI 1.4 AVR capable of passing a 4k/24Hz/30Hz signal, however, starting in late 2015 or early 2016, there will be 4k/60Hz HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 sources that would require a 2015 model AVR to allow the 4k/60Hz signal to pass through the AVR. The work around with 2014 and earlier models would be to pass the 4k/60Hz signal directly to the TV with audio going to the AVR (eg. dual HDMI 2.0 AVRs to be released later this fall).

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #11171 of 11171 Unread Today, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I got my 3313ci to complete a successful firmware update by implementing a crude method. Since it appeared there may be a thermal component to the failures

- Powered off and unplugged the unit for 30 minutes
- Powered on the unit and waited until I got an IP address (confirmed in WireShark trace and through Denon setup screens).
- Played streaming radio for about 30 minutes, and also accessed the Web GUI during that time. No issues.
- Removed the cover of the unit and used a hair-dryer in "no heat" mode to blow air in/around the main HDMI board.
- Started a firmware update crossing my fingers and praying I wouldn't brick my receiver.
- The update actually passed Authentication this time and started updating Main, then Sub, then DSP, then GUI...
- The updated completed successfully after 37 minutes. I checked the firmware and its now on 1490-3179-0000-9500-1097
- Went into network settings and turned off DHCP. At this point the IP reverted to 192.168.0.1 in the setup screen.
- Exited setup and went back into network settings and darn it... only "Information" was available and so I was unable to change the network settings.
- Turned off the sophisticated cooling apparatus.
- Performed a network reset from the front panel
- Checked the menus and found it was again unwilling to obtain an IP address (checked WireShark also to confirm this).
- Deployed my sophisticated cooling apparatus once again.
- Sat in the setup screen continually monitor the network menu. After about two minutes of cooling, the network screen jumped to life with all menu options.
- Checked the network info and WireShark again. Sure enough, it got an IP address.
- Turned off the cooler
- Played streaming radio for about 15 minutes, and also accessed the Web GUI during that time. No issues.

That's about all I can report. I'm fairly certain that some component is failing once the unit warms up. However, the strange thing is once I get an IP address and I'm talking on the network, it doesn't seem to have a problem until I power cycle it (I have "Network Control" enabled) or if I attempt to change the network settings.

In the end, I'm not sure its in much better shape. I do have the updated firmware, and I do have a somewhat reliable method for bringing the network connection back to life, but what a PITA that is. If this info helps someone else, then it will be worth the efforts.

A final bit of info on this issue...

I ran the 3313ci all night and this morning streaming music without issues. It seems to retain an IP and stay connected to the network without issues unless I power cycle the unit or I attempt to manually change the network settings. The only way to get network interface back in service is to either...

- Let the unit sit powered off to cool and then powering it back on, at which time it usually shows a MAC address and obtains an IP via DHCP.

- Apply direct ventilation to remove heat from the HDMI main board while the unit is running, at which point (within a minute or so) the network interface begins functioning (shows a MAC and obtains an IP via DHCP).

The issue is definitely influenced by heat build-up in the HDMI main board area.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page