The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Per my prior post I am getting the 2113 for $407. However, I didn't buy the 2113 for that. I ordered the 2112 for $407, but they said they discontinued the 2112 and offered me a free upgrade to the 2113. I got lucky is all because i haven't seen the 2113 discounted at all wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 14
the Denon AVR-3313CI seems very similar to the much more expensive Marantz SR7007. I've checked out both models, wondering what people's impressions are. The Denon seems like a much better value.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
the Denon AVR-3313CI seems very similar to the much more expensive Marantz SR7007. I've checked out both models, wondering what people's impressions are. The Denon seems like a much better value.

Check this link from audioholics for comparisons.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/marantz-sr7007-sr6007-sr5007-pre
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Liked: 10
I'm new to the Denon 2113CI....and airplay. My receiver is too far from my pc for ethernet connection. Do I need to connect the Denon to my home network in order to use Airplay with my ipad? if so, what's the easiest way to connect my receiver to my Uverse modem? Is there something I can plug into the ethernet port in the receiver that will wirelessly connect to the modem?

Thanks, Tom
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I can't say 100% for sure but I think Musicman is right, I highly doubt the Denon Remote App will support directly interfacing with an iTunes library. You are probably going to have to use the Remote App to control the iTunes -- note however that when using the built-in AirPlay of the receiver it will automatically turn on and switch to the correct input when you initiate the AirPlay stream, and the volume control will be "linked", so you really don't have to use the Denon Remote App at all for just streaming AirPlay music (unless you want to change the surround mode or something).

batpig,

Thanks - that is exactly what I was looking for. All I was using the Denon app for was to power the receiver on and off. I didn't know that the Apple Remote App would power it on for me once I selected the Denon via AirPlay. This leads to another question, however. What about powering the receiver back down when I'm done listening? Any choice other than to go into the Denon Remote App to do this?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvglaser View Post

I'm new to the Denon 2113CI....and airplay. My receiver is too far from my pc for ethernet connection. Do I need to connect the Denon to my home network in order to use Airplay with my ipad? if so, what's the easiest way to connect my receiver to my Uverse modem? Is there something I can plug into the ethernet port in the receiver that will wirelessly connect to the modem?
Thanks, Tom

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_G2

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post

Check this link from audioholics for comparisons.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/marantz-sr7007-sr6007-sr5007-pre

That was a good article - and it seems to confirm my impression the Marantz is much more expensive, but basically the same functionality.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 PM

I did forget to say that my 2113 is coming from Electronics Expo. My first experience with them but already impressed with them for doing the upgrade for the discontinued 2112 I did order. And it has shipped so I can't wait.

I wanted the 3313 but didn't want to have to upgrade my rear surrounds and my outdoor speakers right now. I figure I can't wait till next year when the next model comes out and move the 2113 to the cabana
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quick question for the experts. I am helping the neighbor setup his whole house audio, and I think the 2113CI would work, but not sure. He will have 5.1 in the family room, 2 ceiling speakers in the kitchen, which is open to the family room, and 5 outdoor speakers. The obvious setup is Denon drives 5.1 in the family room, then zone 2 pre-outs to a multichannel amp to power the other 7 speakers(probably the amp from HTD). That is fine, but then the inside ceiling speakers in the kitchen must play the same source as all the outside speakers, since they are all on Zone 2. He said he might see a situation where he wants all the inside speakers (5.1 plus kitchen) to be playing 1 source, and the outside ones to be different. One option is a 3 zone AVR, so he can assign the kitchen speakers to whatever he wants, b/c they are a separate zone. To do that, he either needs to spend alot more or get the Onkyo 616, but I am hesitant to recommend Onkyo given quality issues/2EQ/no Airplay etc...

But, (here is my question), what if he hooks up the ceiling speakers to the Zone2/amp assign terminals on the 2113? Then, using his remote, couldn't he manually switch those speakers from Zone 2 to "Speaker B"??? I believe yes, but I wanted to be sure. That way he could have the kitchen speakers mimic either the family room, by playing Speaker A+B, or mimic the outside speakers by changing Amp Assign to Zone 2.

Would this mess up Audyssey? Or would it keep the 5.1 settings regardless of Zone 2 vs. Speaker B?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I received my new speakers and the S10.3, so I hooked up the 2313. I went through setup and there were only 6 measurements taken. Also, I don't recall whether I saved the settings nor whether that option was even there (very long tiring day). I didn't tackle the internet stuff, including the update, until last. I'll go back tomorrow and run Audyssey again tomorrow.

There is one irritating problem though- when I go in or out of the TIVO guide the screen goes black for several seconds. I guess it's a handshake issue? Is there something I can do about it?

Also, should the screen go black when using Pandora?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 AM

Hi Guys

I need help with choosing with receiver I so torn between Onkyo 515 and Denon 2113CI , advantage with Denon 2113CI is audessy MultiEQ XT setup which advance then what Onkyo offers, I am not sure if I can hear difference between the two with my B&W M1 and PV1D subwoofer...if you can guide me with what I can choose I will really appreciate it....just fyi I do not think airplay on Denon is big turn on..Onkyo 515 is much cheaper then Denon 2113CI.

Regards
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 AM
585-645-1006

Choose Onkyo for "features" and Denon for better "audio fidelity". Although you would most likely notice a difference with the 2113CI, especially as the 515 cannot EQ the subwoofer, if price is a concern, why not consider the 1613 instead which still uses a better version of Audyssey than the 515 and can also EQ the subwoofer?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 AM

money is not a concern I want to know which will sound better for music and movies both, Onkyo 515 got very high rating from whatahifi.com ....feature wise I do not think Denon misses on anything..or does it?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 AM
585-645-1006

Considering there's only a $50 difference in MSRP between the two models, I took "much cheaper" to mean money was a concern. If audio fidelity is more important, than any Denon model (excluding the 1513) should sound better than a 717 or lower Onkyo as they only use Audyssey 2EQ. Choose the lowest level Denon model that meets your feature/input/output needs. Review the first few posts in this thread to see a comparison of the various XX13 models. You may also want to consider one of last year's XX12 models that are on clearance.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Well i under stand the much cheaper part. The 2113 msrp might only be $50 higher, but I know the 2113 pretty much goes for $650 but the Onkyo 515 can be had for $350. I was looking at the Denon 2112 and 2113 but then I entertained the Onkyo 515 once I saw the price. A $300 price difference does make one take pause if the 515 can do most of what one needs.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 AM

has any one tried Denon 2113CI and Onkyo side by side? will be good to know what was result.....515 seems to really good value for money but since I will not buy another amp for another 10 years I want to invest in right one...which is it should sound good rest all is bells and whistles
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman17 View Post

Well i under stand the much cheaper part. The 2113 msrp might only be $50 higher, but I know the 2113 pretty much goes for $650 but the Onkyo 515 can be had for $350. I was looking at the Denon 2112 and 2113 but then I entertained the Onkyo 515 once I saw the price. A $300 price difference does make one take pause if the 515 can do most of what one needs.

The problem is Onkyo's more than 50% of the time are defective. Just google it. You'll see they don't last and have terrible QC. I had a onkyo 707. It broke within 2 years. It was fixed and broke again once out of warranty they wouldn't repair it even though clearly Onkyo's fault. I replaced it with a 709 and I'm just waiting for it to break now. I got a Denon 1913 for the bedroom because I felt it was worth the extra $$$ to get better QC. 1 receiver bought is better than 2 bought within 3 years.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Yes I saw the Onkyo receivers had alot of issues when I looked into the 515. My older Onkyo is rock solid but just HDMI challenged but i saw too many issues when searching the net. Hence why I choose to order the Denon 2112 over the Onkyo 515. I love saving money but hate having problems more wink.gif. Of course, since I am getting the 2113 instead of the 2112 I ordered, I am saving money and hopefully will have no problems.

As I wait for delivery I decided to buy the Roomie remote. Anyone using the xx13's have any experience on hw well it works with the Denon? If it works well, I want to order a wifi IR iTach to control everything.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Quick question for the experts. I am helping the neighbor setup his whole house audio, and I think the 2113CI would work, but not sure. He will have 5.1 in the family room, 2 ceiling speakers in the kitchen, which is open to the family room, and 5 outdoor speakers. The obvious setup is Denon drives 5.1 in the family room, then zone 2 pre-outs to a multichannel amp to power the other 7 speakers(probably the amp from HTD). That is fine, but then the inside ceiling speakers in the kitchen must play the same source as all the outside speakers, since they are all on Zone 2. He said he might see a situation where he wants all the inside speakers (5.1 plus kitchen) to be playing 1 source, and the outside ones to be different. One option is a 3 zone AVR, so he can assign the kitchen speakers to whatever he wants, b/c they are a separate zone. To do that, he either needs to spend alot more or get the Onkyo 616, but I am hesitant to recommend Onkyo given quality issues/2EQ/no Airplay etc...
But, (here is my question), what if he hooks up the ceiling speakers to the Zone2/amp assign terminals on the 2113? Then, using his remote, couldn't he manually switch those speakers from Zone 2 to "Speaker B"??? I believe yes, but I wanted to be sure. That way he could have the kitchen speakers mimic either the family room, by playing Speaker A+B, or mimic the outside speakers by changing Amp Assign to Zone 2.
Would this mess up Audyssey? Or would it keep the 5.1 settings regardless of Zone 2 vs. Speaker B?
Thanks!

No love for my question? rolleyes.gif

Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I did forget to say that my 2113 is coming from Electronics Expo. My first experience with them but already impressed with them for doing the upgrade for the discontinued 2112 I did order. And it has shipped so I can't wait.
I wanted the 3313 but didn't want to have to upgrade my rear surrounds and my outdoor speakers right now. I figure I can't wait till next year when the next model comes out and move the 2113 to the cabana

I bought a 2312 from Electronics Expo through Amazon and they upgraded me to the 2313 at no additional cost. I saved $260 and I couldn't be happier.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

The problem is Onkyo's more than 50% of the time are defective. Just google it. You'll see they don't last and have terrible QC. I had a onkyo 707. It broke within 2 years. It was fixed and broke again once out of warranty they wouldn't repair it even though clearly Onkyo's fault. I replaced it with a 709 and I'm just waiting for it to break now. I got a Denon 1913 for the bedroom because I felt it was worth the extra $$$ to get better QC. 1 receiver bought is better than 2 bought within 3 years.

Good god. Yeah. More than 50% of Onkyo AVR's are defective.

If you "google it" the anecdotal evidence you'll find- almost certainly to be dozens and dozens of stories- has to make the above true.

wow...just...wow.

Denon owner in awe, here.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

I read this in the xx12 thread:

A work around if you want to pass ANY source (HDMI, digital, analog) to another room using a 7.1 model, is to use the "Amp Assign - Front B" setting with the understanding that the Front B speakers can only play the same source as is playing on the Front A speakers and the volume of the Front B speakers will be controlled by the volume of the Front A speakers. If you have a 1712 or higher XX12 model (or XX13 “CI” model), there are separate 2CH STEREO settings, so if you prefer not to use the STEREO mode in the main zone, you can setup a "custom" STEREO setting using the Front B speakers only (ie. Front B speakers set to LARGE and no subwoofer playing) to get audio only in the room with the Front B speakers whenever you use the remote to change to STEREO mode. If you want an independent source and volume control for Zone 2 (other than Airplay - see Networking - Airplay), you will have to use the "Amp Assign - Zone 2" setting.

So I guess my real question is whether it is easy to switch between Zone 2 and Speaker B or you have to redo your whole set up/Amp assign each time.

Thanks

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
585-645-1006

You would have to go into the menu to change AMP ASSIGN from "Zone 2" to "Front B", however, Audyssey generally balks when adding additional speakers that have not been EQ'd, so not sure whether changing to non EQ'd Front B speakers will be an issue or not.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Just as Electronics Expo gave you a deal on the 2113CI so to are they giving a similar deal on other models as well (which they do every year). This is also true for a few other authorized resellers that normally sell for at least 20-30% off MSRP right out of the gate.
sheshechic likes this.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I bought a 2312 from Electronics Expo through Amazon and they upgraded me to the 2313 at no additional cost. I saved $260 and I couldn't be happier.

I guess they like to keep their customers happy. My first experience with them and I have to say I am surprised they just didn't just cancel the order and say "sorry..."

Will keep this mind if I try to get a three zone Denon in a year or two....lol
sheshechic likes this.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Just got the first firmware update notice on my 2113, any info on what it's for?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
585-645-1006

Please review posts #3-6 for additional information to include firmware changelog info.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You would have to go into the menu to change AMP ASSIGN from "Zone 2" to "Front B", however, Audyssey generally balks when adding additional speakers that have not been EQ'd, so not sure whether changing to non EQ'd Front B speakers will be an issue or not.

That is what confused my when I looked at the 2113 manual. It does not make sense to me why Audyssey would want to EQ the B speaker since they are not really part of the surround sound Zone 1 setup.

If there are any current owners of the 2113CI or similar model, it would be great to know if you could switch your Zone 2 to Speaker B without messing up the Audyssey EQ.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakjim View Post

Just got the first firmware update notice on my 2113, any info on what it's for?
So I just got the notice for an update from May?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

That is what confused my when I looked at the 2113 manual. It does not make sense to me why Audyssey would want to EQ the B speaker since they are not really part of the surround sound Zone 1 setup.

Part of the Audyssey setup process is to select which front speakers to use, A, B, or A+B.

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon