The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This is an issue reported on the XX12 models, although not as yet reported on the XX13 models. Are any other 1913 owners experiencing no menu with NET/USB input selected?

You scared me! My new AVR, playing with it for about 1 hr and already experiencing problems! ... Luckily it was a false alarm. Reading around I came to the idea to disconnect the power of all equipements for a while and re-connect them carefully... That made it!... Now I enjoying the AVR and my luck again!... Not sure if it was something connected wrong or what, but not everything is fine. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 AM

Liked: 10
Just got the AVR 1713 and when I plug my ipod into the front port, it plays the music with a 2 second break every 5 seconds -- I tired switching ipods and cables but still the smae problem. I was also wondering why my sub woofer doesn't work in this mode. Thanks
post #1533 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Can't explain the USB audio issue, although what model iPod is it? As far as the sub issue is concerned, most likely it's because your front speakers are set to LARGE. Reset them to SMALL with 80hz crossovers in the Manual setup menu and that will then pass the lower frequency audio from all sources to the sub.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1534 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Got 3313 up and running as a pre-amp yesterday with special thanks to jdsmoothie and batpig. Brilliant, affordable upate to previous 3808. And yes, it seamlessly does what many have been wanting for years (but remains elusive for most).

Confirmed Scenario:

- All connections run through 3313 with just 2 HDMI outs (one to each of 2 TVs).
- Single DirecTV input, single Blu-Ray input, single Wii input, etc.
- TV1 is in home theater on HDMI Monitor Out 1 connection for video with 7.1 audio run through an external amp on Trigger 1. So, when you want to activate the home theater, you turn on the TV and 3313 and it triggers the amp.
- TV2 is in kitchen on HDMI Monitor Out 2 conection. If my wife is home alone, 3313 remains turned off (and external amp remains turned off) and HDMI passes through to this TV. Or, someone can be in kitchen watching TV2 while TV1 is on showing the same movie. Makes dinner prep a whole lot more engaging.
- Living room is "Zone 2" with stereo audio using external amp on Trigger 2. We typically play internet radio on zone 2.

This seems simple but the previous challege on 3808 was both lack of pass-thru while AVR turned off and that TV1 audio uses pre-amp outs (i.e. Denon for audio) and TV2 audio uses TV speakers (i.e. TV for audio) which was problematic. Both of these issues are now solved.

PRACTICAL NOTES:
- When 3313 is off, kitchen gets 1080i or 480p depending on TV channel. With 3313 on, kitchen gets upscaled 1080p on all channels.
- We previously accomplished this by running component out of the DirecTV box directly to the kichen TV but the mounting plate for our new kitchen TV now covers the component input so this is a welcome, timely upgrade.
- I truly hate that the Deon remote and receiver can't be made to be RF (like the DirecTV remote and DVR can) but the Android Denon remote app is slick. A minor annoyance since everything is moving to IP control anyways.

Hope this happy ending helps others who are looking for similar success.
post #1535 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Liked: 32
jdsmoothie, I have not had any problems with no video on my 1912. Now, I have had issues, that if the hdmi cables pull out just a small bit, you lose video.
post #1536 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Well after a few days of confusion I got my upgrade. Originally I bought a 1712 to replace my old 3805.

They sold out of the 1712 so they offered the 1713 for no extra charge and I declined due to loss of power and 7.1 features of the 1713. They then offered the 1913 again at no extra charge and I pulled the trigger.

So I setup the 1913 in place of the 3805.

Earlier in the thread when I asked how the sound would compare the answer was the same.

I just wanted to report back that the unit sounds much improved of the older. I do not use Audessey. This is simply unit to unit processor to processor.

I cant pretend to explain why. A guess would be simply the processing is much better than years ago.

Anyway I often see questions around about old vs new even though the new unit is lower model such as my situation.

So from someone that took the plunge and tried. Thats the answer. Hope this helps someone.
freakjim likes this.
post #1537 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes457 View Post

Hi David. Great to hear that the Denon Remote App is working on your tablet - because at the bottom of the Description section of the Denon Remote App on Google Play, it says "This application does not support tablet devices".
Denon Remote App on Google Play

Just tried out the Denon remote for android on my Samsung galaxy tab 10 and it works very well, nicer interface than the AVR remote for Denon that I was using before.

David
post #1538 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

jdsmoothie, I have not had any problems with no video on my 1912. Now, I have had issues, that if the hdmi cables pull out just a small bit, you lose video.

This was only an issue on a small minority number of units.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #1539 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBulluss View Post

Just tried out the Denon remote for android on my Samsung galaxy tab 10 and it works very well, nicer interface than the AVR remote for Denon that I was using before.
David

Great! Thanks for reporting back with your findings. I'll update the issue's post #4.

post #1540 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Thanks - USB solved itself by unplugging the unit and plugging it back in. Woofer setting was already set on small so I am still trying to fix that
post #1541 of 10593 Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Liked: 13
Interesting: on my Android phone running the official Denon remote app, the Zones button (in the upper left of the screen) disappears after a fraction of a second, as if I'm using a single-zone receiver and that functionality isn't available (I have a 2313). I've checked, and I have the latest versions of the app and the AVR's firmware. The third party app, AVR-Remote, can detect and control Zone 2 just fine, and the Denon app could too a couple weeks ago.

Is anyone else having this issue?

post #1542 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 05:09 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshockey View Post

Thanks - USB solved itself by unplugging the unit and plugging it back in. Woofer setting was already set on small so I am still trying to fix that

Woofer setting? The "speakers" need to be set to SMALL and their crossovers raised up to 80hz if originally set to either 40hz or 60hz by AUTO SETUP.

post #1543 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 AM

I looked through a lot of the post but I can't seem to find one related to my problem with my new 2113CI receiver. Web access.

I am using Internet explorer and google's Chrome web browser with the same result. A Blank page. I go to the IP address of the receiver and all I get is a blank page.

I downloaded the andriod app and it works (made sure the IP address is the same using the Andriod app and the web page).

But still a blank page on the web interface.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Mike
post #1544 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 AM
585-645-1006

Are you following the instructions provided on pp. 90-91 in the Owner's manual?

post #1545 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Are you following the instructions provided on pp. 90-91 in the Owner's manual?

Yes. The Android app needs the settings as indicated also and that works. But from the web page nothing - just a blank page. I even turned off my Norton firewall completely and still no change.
post #1546 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool1 View Post

Yes. The Android app needs the settings as indicated also and that works. But from the web page nothing - just a blank page. I even turned off my Norton firewall completely and still no change.

Odd --- I just set up the receiver with a reserved IP address from my router and now I can get to it from my computer. But now I can not get to it from the andriod app. Hmmm.... Well at least I know both work but not at the same time.

I'll have to diagnose this later as I need to go to work! smile.gif
post #1547 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwm9 View Post

On my 2113ci, I seem to have two separate controls for the subwoofer level.

In the Audio menu there's an option called "Subwoofer Level", and in the Audio\Surround Parameter submenu there's an option called, "LFE".

What, if any, is the difference between these two?

the "subwoofer channel" is not synonymous with the "LFE channel".

the LFE channel adjustment you note above ONLY affects the dedicated LFE channel (.1) found in multich digital sources.

the "Subwoofer Level" is the global volume adjustment for the subwoofer, and affects everything going to the sub. The subwoofer plays not only the LFE channel, but also the redirected bass from other channels.

so simply put:

"Subwoofer Level" = subwoofer volume control
"LFE" adjustment = specifically attenuates the .1 channel low frequency effects but doesn't affect the sub volume otherwise

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1548 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

You might try setting the "i/P scaler" setting to OFF if it's enabled.

I gave it shot but no dice, but again, this is not necessarily a problem with the receiver, but it's interesting that the receiver is affected, I would assume the denon is no different to any other receiver in that respect.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #1549 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM

My 1913 will be here tomorrow. Will be hooking the receiver and my new 5.1 system up on Saturday. Cannot wait!!!!
post #1550 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

This is an issue reported on the XX12 models, although not as yet reported on the XX13 models.
Quote:

I'm not sure if I'm having this issue with my new 1913. I rushed to report here that the no-video issue had gone, but I'm still experiencing it. For some reason the AVR doesn't seem to be able to send the right format to the TV for the FM tuner, Network, iPod and Internet radio. Basically the sources that don't have an actual input connection. (Though, I saw it happen to Media player and Blue-ray the first time I connected the devices). To fix it I have to unplug the AVR power, unplug the HDMI's cables and plug them tight again. I works for some time and it randomly stops again.

It is weird it can handle CBL/SAT, Blue-Ray and Media player (devices I have connected to the AVR) but not the others. (since the issue appears to be with the connection between the AVR and the TV). Has anyone else seen this in the AVR-1913? I have already re-set the processor but didn't help. Could it be a malfunction of the devide frown.gif ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrix View Post

Parts of what are described are similar to what I see with the 3313, though I have not experienced the loop of showing an image and then to black.
When I first installed the AVR I got part way through the auto setup before the screen went away.

That's exactly what happened to me when first started the unit.!!! I guess at that point the signal from the AVR to the TV changed somehow. Haven't you experienced this after that?

Quote:

What I notice is I do not get video out unless there is video in. For instance, if I select a blu-ray source that is turned off, there is naturally no display, but I also cannot get the menu to appear. So, if an external HDMI input is connected, turn it on and try to access the menu from there.

That could be what happened for my Mediaplayer and Bue-ray when I first connected them. But they have been working ok since then.

Quote:

With regard to the Network source specifically, the AVR can disable the display when this is the source, so that is an item to check. The menu path was
[SETUP] --> Video --> Audio Display --> Audio --> {Off, 10s, 30s, Always}. If you are set to Off, try another option.

I checked and tested other values with no luck. Even if the video is gone you can bring it back with the remote control anyway.

What about the temperature of the unit... is it 55 ok? Perhaps is something with that? I'm running out of options here. frown.gif
post #1551 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Liked: 32
hhiguera I found out after two days of trying to figure out why our Sony BD was not pushing DTS, was because of the HDMI cable that I had between our 1912 & the Sony BDP-S370. Swapped it out, and everything works like it should. Even though JDsmoothie stated that Denon "fixed the problem, it is still there, due to certain cables work with the receivers HDMI ports, others do not allow for full seating.
post #1552 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Great thread, guys. Thanks to everyone who's helping answer questions.

I just brought home a brand new AVR-1913 to replace a 36 month old Onkyo that stopped displaying any video via HDMI. My wife was getting annoyed with having to switch the TV inputs between TV/PS3 and then the audio inputs on the Onkyo just to get sound, so I bought this figuring it would be a nice upgrade for me and it would be a simplified "turn on tv, pick input on receiver, veg out" solution for her.

Here's the problem: I'm getting no video or audio from my PS3 via HDMI. I hooked it directly into my TV and made sure audio was set to HDMI, deep color (or whatever the setting is) was off, etc. I went through everything I could think of. Then, I did a soft reset on the receiver and eventually I tried the other reset mentioned earlier in the thread. I still receive no signal at all, and that's through multiple inputs (Game, Blu-Ray, etc).

I'm at a total loss here... Could I have missed a simple on/off setting somewhere that's interfering? Is there anything else I need to do?
post #1553 of 10593 Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:

hhiguera I found out after two days of trying to figure out why our Sony BD was not pushing DTS, was because of the HDMI cable that I had between our 1912 & the Sony BDP-S370. Swapped it out, and everything works like it should. Even though JDsmoothie stated that Denon "fixed the problem, it is still there, due to certain cables work with the receivers HDMI ports, others do not allow for full seating.

Thanks gregzoll. I'm felling inclined towards a cable issue, though it is still kind of strange it works at moments and then stops. The cables I use are the same I used to connect the devices directly to the TV before, but will try to get higher quality cables. Perhaps the AV is pickier with that.
post #1554 of 10593 Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiguera View Post

I'm not sure if I'm having this issue with my new 1913. I rushed to report here that the no-video issue had gone, but I'm still experiencing it. For some reason the AVR doesn't seem to be able to send the right format to the TV for the FM tuner, Network, iPod and Internet radio. Basically the sources that don't have an actual input connection. (Though, I saw it happen to Media player and Blue-ray the first time I connected the devices). To fix it I have to unplug the AVR power, unplug the HDMI's cables and plug them tight again. I works for some time and it randomly stops again.

It is weird it can handle CBL/SAT, Blue-Ray and Media player (devices I have connected to the AVR) but not the others. (since the issue appears to be with the connection between the AVR and the TV). Has anyone else seen this in the AVR-1913? I have already re-set the processor but didn't help. Could it be a malfunction of the devide frown.gif ?

At this point, is it only the internal source (FM tuner, Network, etc.) that have the problem? The above suggests the external sources are generally working but may still have some issues?

One thing I noticed is the Video-->Output setup menu appears source dependent in that I see a different set of menu options. In my case, I have the i/p Scaler for the Network input set to Analog (the other choice was off). If I set it to off, the TV shows a resolution of 720x480/60i. When I turn it on, with Resolution set to Auto, I see 1920x1080/60p. In my case, I get video output in both modes, so I can do this in front of the unit, but the setup on the web interface shows the same dependency upon input source, so you could change it there with Network selected. I had no problem with either case, but as you noted, the TV is also relevant here.
Quote:

Quote:

Parts of what are described are similar to what I see with the 3313, though I have not experienced the loop of showing an image and then to black.
When I first installed the AVR I got part way through the auto setup before the screen went away.

That's exactly what happened to me when first started the unit.!!! I guess at that point the signal from the AVR to the TV changed somehow. Haven't you experienced this after that?
No problems once I got past the initial setup.

Quote:

What about the temperature of the unit... is it 55 ok? Perhaps is something with that? I'm running out of options here. frown.gif
In post #680, a temperature up to 112F (44C) was reported, but I don't know how much variation is reasonable.
post #1555 of 10593 Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyzk View Post

Great thread, guys. Thanks to everyone who's helping answer questions.
I just brought home a brand new AVR-1913 to replace a 36 month old Onkyo that stopped displaying any video via HDMI. My wife was getting annoyed with having to switch the TV inputs between TV/PS3 and then the audio inputs on the Onkyo just to get sound, so I bought this figuring it would be a nice upgrade for me and it would be a simplified "turn on tv, pick input on receiver, veg out" solution for her.
Here's the problem: I'm getting no video or audio from my PS3 via HDMI. I hooked it directly into my TV and made sure audio was set to HDMI, deep color (or whatever the setting is) was off, etc. I went through everything I could think of. Then, I did a soft reset on the receiver and eventually I tried the other reset mentioned earlier in the thread. I still receive no signal at all, and that's through multiple inputs (Game, Blu-Ray, etc).
I'm at a total loss here... Could I have missed a simple on/off setting somewhere that's interfering? Is there anything else I need to do?

Is the PS3 the only source with the issue or is it your only source? If you've tried EVERY HDMI input on the AVR and still no joy after doing the reset, it's time for an exchange. frown.gif

post #1556 of 10593 Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

The issue I was referring to is "firmware" related, yours is apparently "cable" related. Two different issues.

post #1557 of 10593 Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Is the PS3 the only source with the issue or is it your only source? If you've tried EVERY HDMI input on the AVR and still no joy after doing the reset, it's time for an exchange. frown.gif

DirecTV works fine. These are the only two inputs.

I did end up getting the sound to work last night, so audio is coming through from the PS3 via HDMI. The video, though, was jumping from black screen to static, back and forth. I tried multiple HDMI cables, and I have a few more on their way from monoprice so I'll try those too.

Edit: I'll give it another reset tonight. After spending 11 hours at work yesterday, and another three goofing around with this trying to get it set up, I claimed partial victory when the audio came through then I went to bed.
post #1558 of 10593 Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Hi,
I wonder if someone could help me with an mp3 streaming question?

I'm considering buying a 2113 ,to hook up to my PC to play mp3's through.

I've looked in the online manual,and the 2113 supports mp3 playback up to 320kbps,which is what a lot of my mp3 files are.

What I want to do,is use Media Player on the PC to choose which mp3 I want to play,select it on the PC and it streams through the 2113 to play the mp3,instead of using the PC speakers etc.

I don't really want to have to use the 2113 GUI and have the tv on to play mp3's stored on the PC .

I assume this way is possible,and that mp3's up to 320kbps are okay? If I stream an mp3 over the network,how do you set the 2113 to playback in stereo etc, i.e. are you able to set the network streaming like you would set the other inputs up?

If it's not ,my motherboard has an optical out ,I could connect to the 2113 this way maybe?

Apologies is this is a newb question,I've never owned a reciever with network capability before.

Thanks

John.
post #1559 of 10593 Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
585-645-1006

Yes, AFAIK, this is possible as you describe.

post #1560 of 10593 Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all.

As i understand it the 3313 model has denons clock jitter reducer. My question is if this works over hdmi as well as optical and coaxel inputs? i am not interested in the Denon Link HD function as my player does not have it
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page