The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 10785 Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

Forgot to mention, one other small issue I have is that my kids drop their 650 (6 yrs and 4 yrs) a lot, and sometimes it will reset it's self, so the remote thinks all the devices are turned off and will no longer operate them, so you have to turn the remote away from all devices, press the activity and your ok, you can also power on each device individually, but that's too complicated for the kids and wife, this happens to both of my 650's, but I rarely ever drop it, so for the most part its only an issue for my kids.

That's exactly what the Help button is for on the Harmony remotes. The state tracking and the power of the Help button to quickly correct the state is one of their best features (and IMO a big part of their "wife appeal").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 10785 Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the detailed responses and especially the terrific link to the Amazon price. I've ordered the 650 as it will fit my needs for some time to come. Thanks batpig and All.
post #1623 of 10785 Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Good point, that.
This should explain a lot:
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=AVReceivers&ProductId=AVR3313
....under HDMI heading in "Detailed Specs" tab, it indicates "Clock Jitter Reducer" is indeed implemented on this model.

Yes i saw that to. But then what is the point of denon link hd or denon link 4th if there is already a jitter reducer? I read in denons cryptic descriptions of denon link that conventional jitterreduction only works with audio only and not video (i think). could this mean something? why have 2 systems for jitter reduction?
post #1624 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
As the Denon Link HD only works with the HD audio codecs, my guess would be that it simply provides a more aggressive approach to jitter reduction when connected to the DBT-3313.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1625 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post

Interesting: on my Android phone running the official Denon remote app, the Zones button (in the upper left of the screen) disappears after a fraction of a second, as if I'm using a single-zone receiver and that functionality isn't available (I have a 2313). I've checked, and I have the latest versions of the app and the AVR's firmware. The third party app, AVR-Remote, can detect and control Zone 2 just fine, and the Denon app could too a couple weeks ago.
Is anyone else having this issue?

Is anyone else using a multi-zone receiver and the official Denon remote app on Android at all? smile.gif

Living Room: Denon 2113ci + BIC V1020 + Panasonic BDT220 + AppleTV + uVerse DVR + Panasonic P42S2 plasma
Theater: Denon 2313ci + Klipsch RW12d + Panasonic BDT220 + Mac mini + uVerse wired receiver + Epson 8350 PJ + 100" screen
post #1626 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 AM

just wondering how i can find more information about the web control feature in 1713, i failed to find the information in the users manual, thanks in advance!
post #1627 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As the Denon Link HD only works with the HD audio codecs, my guess would be that it simply provides a more aggressive approach to jitter reduction when connected to the DBT-3313.

hmm. The below link is from denon and seems to argue that denon link is the first jittereduction to funtion with video/bluray and that other jittereduction types only work with cd's: audio 2 channel only. the reason being that conventinal jitter reduction wokrs by keeping the signal in a buffer and then syncing it. this however is not possible with video plus multi channel audio as it is way to much data to keep in the buffer.

http://www.denon.com/pages/GlossaryDetail.aspx?GId=14

Its from 2009 thou, But it seems to me that the hdmi jitter reduction that is specified in the prorduct desription that was linked to erlier might only work if u put a cd in the player and not with a bluray. for that denon link is needed sadly.
post #1628 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

It would be great if one of you 3313ci owners using the HDMI Zone 2 output could test this out. There are several notes about HDMI settings that cannot be used when using HDMI Zone 2 output, but it's unclear whether the manual is saying that these settings can't be adjusted FOR the HDMI Zone 2 output, or whether they can't be set AT ALL.

so if somebody could verify that they can still adjust, for example, the video scaling settings for the HDMI signal in main zone when the Zone 2 HDMI output is active, that would be great smile.gif

Hi Batpig,

I can confirm that the video conversion still works (doing that right now). Playing my AppleTV to zone 2 while my DVD (connected via component) is going to zone 1. Setup menu display also works on zone 1 while zone 2 is active. I haven't checked the rest, but I'll check things out as we go.
post #1629 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You're misunderstanding what the manual indicates which is that those settings cannot be used on the Zone 2 source, not on the main zone source.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #1630 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:

^^
You're misunderstanding what the manual indicates which is that those settings cannot be used on the Zone 2 source, not on the main zone source.

My mistake. I'm now feeding my AppleTV to both the main zone and zone 2, with the video scaling turned on, and as such the TV in the main zone is seeing a 1080p input, while the bedroom TV (zone 2) is only seeing a 720p signal). Also, all the menus etc... all show up on the main zone TV but not zone 2, as one would expect.

Near as I can tell, the implementation is pretty much exactly as we guessed, a full 7x2 matrix switch, with one of the outputs connected to the Denon's normal hdmi implementation.

If I pass my cable box to both zones, I still get 5.1 going to the main zone, even though the HDMI sink on zone 2 is just the TV. My only thought is the EDID data from the sony 27" I've got might be saying it can handle/decode dolby 5.1

I hope this is a littl emore of what you're looking for.
post #1631 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, so that confirms that the i/p Scaler does indeed not work with the Zone 2 HDMI.

post #1632 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM

Hey Everyone,
I am new here and I really hope someone can assist me. I am at my wits end and feel like I am losing my mind (and temper).

The problem im having is that I just bought the Denon 1913 and my tv will not recognize the reciever to do the initial setup.

I have the Sharp LC-46e77un running a brand new high speed hdmi cable into the monitor of the Denon and all I get is white snow on the screen (snow and the picture flashes periodically). The tv shows a 720p connection but it just keeps snowing.....

I have tried 2 other hdmi cables and even tried the yellow rca monitor out on the denon to see if i could get something, but nothing happens.

The tv firmware has been updated and Ive even tried other HDMI ports on the sharp but nothing seems to change the snowy output.

Im not sure if this is a sharp or denon problem and I didn't even know where to post this.........please help if you can, I am starting to feel like an idiot and dont understand what the problem could be. Its been 2 solid days of tinkering and searching the internet but I haven't had any specific luck. please help me get this running.
any help is appreciated,
Way
post #1633 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Thanks Strider. That confirms what I expected.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1634 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaay View Post

Hey Everyone,
I am new here and I really hope someone can assist me. I am at my wits end and feel like I am losing my mind (and temper).
The problem im having is that I just bought the Denon 1913 and my tv will not recognize the reciever to do the initial setup.
I have the Sharp LC-46e77un running a brand new high speed hdmi cable into the monitor of the Denon and all I get is white snow on the screen (snow and the picture flashes periodically). The tv shows a 720p connection but it just keeps snowing.....
I have tried 2 other hdmi cables and even tried the yellow rca monitor out on the denon to see if i could get something, but nothing happens.
The tv firmware has been updated and Ive even tried other HDMI ports on the sharp but nothing seems to change the snowy output.
Im not sure if this is a sharp or denon problem and I didn't even know where to post this.........please help if you can, I am starting to feel like an idiot and dont understand what the problem could be. Its been 2 solid days of tinkering and searching the internet but I haven't had any specific luck. please help me get this running.
any help is appreciated,
Way

White snow is usually indicative of either a defective HDMI cable or perhaps it's loosly fitted into the HDMI jack. What video source are you passing through it that is only sending 720p? Also make sure the firmware is up to date on the 1913 as well as plugging the video source into the other HDMI inputs on the AVR.

post #1635 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 11:59 AM

the tv is recieving the amp as a 720 connection.....and like I said (regarding loose or defective cables), I am using a brand new hdmi and have tried 2 other cables (1 also new and one 1.3 that was recently unhooked but worked fine).

I havent done an update on the amp but I just got it going as I had to cancel set up and use it like an old amp (no hdmi, just regular stereo).

Lastly, there is no video sources plugged in. I am strictly trying to get the amp to do the onscreen setup and it wont show a picture on the television.

thanks for the effort, I will update the amp and repost if anything changes.
Way
post #1636 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM

I've just tried to stream music from Windows 7 media player to the denon 3313 with the "play to" dlna push feature, but with no success. Has anyone else had any kind of success pushing music (mp3 wma & FLAC) to the xx13? Is it true that airplay does not support FLAC and WMA?
post #1637 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaay View Post

the tv is recieving the amp as a 720 connection.....and like I said (regarding loose or defective cables), I am using a brand new hdmi and have tried 2 other cables (1 also new and one 1.3 that was recently unhooked but worked fine).
I havent done an update on the amp but I just got it going as I had to cancel set up and use it like an old amp (no hdmi, just regular stereo).
Lastly, there is no video sources plugged in. I am strictly trying to get the amp to do the onscreen setup and it wont show a picture on the television.
thanks for the effort, I will update the amp and repost if anything changes.
Way

Without any other HDMI cables to try, only other option would be resetting the microprocessor (p. 146 OM).

post #1638 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Wow never thought Id be asking such a newb question. I just bought the Denon 2113 AVR which is freaking awesome! I only have an old xbox 360 that uses the component cables, a roku that uses HDMI, and my TV, no cable box, the cable coax is run right into the TV. I can get the Roku to work on the media player input, and the old xbox 360 to play sounds and the xbox ( i have it hooked to the component CBL/SAT input for the video, and DVD for the sound). How the heck do I get the TV to play sound through the AVR?

Thanks in advance!

Here are the inputs on the TV, it also has 2 HDMI neither are ARC, I have the hdmi1 from the TV going to the monitor out on the AVR (doesnt seem to do anything).

post #1639 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 02:31 PM
585-645-1006

You'll want to connect a digital coax cable (ie. sub cable or "yellow" RCA composite video cable) from the TV's "Digital Audio Out" jack (near top of your 1st pic above) to the digital coax input on the AVR situated to the left of the optical input as noted below and assign it to "TV Audio".

post #1640 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:

You'll want to connect a digital coax cable (ie. sub cable or "yellow" RCA composite video cable) from the TV's "Digital Audio Out" jack (near top of your 1st pic above) to the digital coax input on the AVR situated to the left of the optical input as noted below and assign it to "TV Audio".

Thanks so much....so the yellow rca? I thought the yellow was to pass video not sound?

Thanks!

UPDATED - Never mind I just needed to change the CBL/SAR audio over to COAX from HDMI and now its playing through the AVR. That was a huge timesaver! Thanks again.
post #1641 of 10785 Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 PM
585-645-1006

The "yellow" composite video cable is a 75ohm cable which is the same type cable as a coax digital audio cable.

post #1642 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 AM

Question regarding the 2113 and 7.1 + Zone 2 set-up... I am looking at getting this receiver for a 7.1 set-up (using front-height speakers instead of rear surrounds) and also will have a Zone 2 (back patio) that I want to control. Can I use the "Audio Out Zone 2" RCA jacks I see in the manual to connect to a secondary older receiver and then connect my patio speakers to there, since I will be using the rear surround speaker jacks for the front-height speakers? Am I thinking about this correctly... will this work?

Also, it looks like I need to go with at least the 2113 (not a lower model) in order to make this work, right?
post #1643 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, you are thinking correctly and yes, the 2113CI is the lowest 7.1 model with Zone 2 pre-outs.

post #1644 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 AM

I have an AVR-1713. When I play Blu-rays and DVDs, I cannot get hear speech. I hear music (including singing), sound effects, etc., just not speech/dialogue. When trailers are playing, occassionally the display (on the unti) will change from "MULTI IN" to "STEREO" and I can hear dialogue. With my set-up, I only have 2 front speakers (which is how I configured the unit settings).

I have tried both a soft reset and a microprocessor reset. I have also checked all the connections.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #1645 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
sounds like you haven't calibrated the unit so it still "thinks" there is a center channel attached. The default is for it to have 5.1 speakers attached so you have to reconfigure it for stereo - just run Audyssey and you should be good to go.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1646 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the quick response. So when I use the "Audio Out Zone 2" RCA jacks on the 2113 to connect to a 2nd receiver to power my Zone 2 outdoor speakers, will I be able to control volume and content via the Denon mobile app? Also, will I be able to play AirPlay and Pandora to the Zone 2 speakers, and control all via the mobile app?
post #1647 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 AM
585-645-1006

Although you will be able to listen to Airplay sources, Pandora, and Internet radio on the Zone 2 speakers, the volume must be controlled by the 2nd receiver.

post #1648 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Hi, I'm considering getting a 3313. A couple of questions first as I have only owned Yamaha AVRs to date.

1: If I choose not to use Audyssey for setup, can I still set speaker distances manually somewhere in the settings?

2: In its multi-channel stereo mode, is there any adjustments for the percentage of volume to the additional channels? It's just that in the description on the Denon site it says all channels receive "full output". And I presume the wides will be used in this mode?
post #1649 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 03:12 PM
585-645-1006

1. Yes, although note that Audyssey EQ involves hundreds of filter points and so does far more than simply setting the speaker distance and volume.
2. Individual speaker volume settings can be made (+/- 12db) regardless of the surround mode selected.

post #1650 of 10785 Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

1. Yes, although note that Audyssey EQ involves hundreds of filter points and so does far more than simply setting the speaker distance and volume.

Yeah I realise that. It's just that sometimes you hear some people don't like what Audyssey did and bypass it. If that was the case for me then I would need to know what manual adjustments I will have. Actually I have just downloaded the owners manual and see that it does indeed have manual adjustments for speaker distances. How smaller units is that in? ie with the Yamaha AVR I have I can adjust speaker distances in 100 mm increments.

Quote:
2. Individual speaker volume settings can be made (+/- 12db) regardless of the surround mode selected.

I am more specifically asking about its 'multi-channel stereo mode' which is a different thing to speak level calibration. ie with my Yamaha's '7 channel stereo' mode, I can set how much of the signal (volume) goes to each additional channel in 1% increments from 0 to 100% This gives me a lot of flexibility in how I want my soundfield to sound. This doesn't affect speaker level calibration so when I play a 5.1 track from a blu ray things are still normal and calibrated for that.

Of course I may end up using Audyssey DSX for up-mixing, but it would be nice to know I would have 'multi-channel stereo mode' to fall back on if I didn't like DSX.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page