want to learn about audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a tv and a ps3 they look great but i feel like i need audio. I have a small living room.probably 30 by 30 ft room. I am not looking for sorround just stereo 2.1 sound. Reci waeivers, amps, do need these? Whats a low end 2.1 system what about medium range. I want it to be used for movies and gaming. Audio music quality not a big deal. I was hoping to spend less than that. Will it get me anywhere? ( from my android phone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
how much do you want to spend? Do you want big speakers or smaller?
post #3 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I was hoping 100 to 200? Is such thing out there. Size doea not matter
post #4 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

is your tv hdmi? You could try to find a old receiver at a thrift store for maybe 10 to 20 bucks and cheap speakers, or could buy a home theatre in a box kind of product. The problem with home theatre in a box systems is they aren't always upgradable. Some sony home in a box systems use 3ohms when a lot of home speakers are 8 ohms. I hear that some people like sherwood receivers and others don't. Some of them are under a 100 bucks on amazon.com. Sometimes best buy has good deals certain weeks. If you sign up for newegg.com newsletter they send you 24 or 48 hour offers sometimes in email. I have seen good deals on receivers and speakers on the site. It is the summer and you might find a big pair of old stereo speakers that someone doesn't want anymore for 20 bucks at a yard sale. Do you have a cd player already?
post #5 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If you want 2.1, you probably want bass management. I would look for deals on New Egg, if you can raise your budget a bit. If not, I would look used.

I would personally not go buy the lowest end gear, like the Yamaha 300 series, because I think that stuff is too compromised.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

If you buy speakers used from a thrift store or craigslist check the woofer surrounds to see if they look dry rotted or look like they might need replaced soon. Any brands of speakers that you like the sound of? maybe you can hear some stuff at a best buy hh greg or a hi fi stereo store. some hi fi stores sell bookshelf speakers for a little over 200 bucks and up. they have the 5,000 dollar speakers also though lol.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Michael what about one of those sony mini stereos for him that have the subwoofer with it? I see it at kmart and walmart? Would that sound good?
post #8 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

what about this and use 3.5mm jack that can be bought at dollar tree running through aux port
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-MHC-E...ystem/14026086
post #9 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

I have a small living room.probably 30 by 30 ft room.

30 x 30 feet is not considered a small living room.

Afro GT
post #10 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
If your budget is $100-200 you need to look for used equipment. A receiver, two speakers and a sub will be tough to find for $200.

Afro GT
post #11 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

My tv has hdmi and that digital tos link cable input. Thanks i am subscribed to newegg, i will have to check my local stores and online craigslist. I will probably post anything that seems worthwhile. Any other tips are welcome. I have headphones that are sennheisers i like how they sound but they dont do home sound... i dont know much about home sound brands.so far i know to avoid bose, since they are more of a premium brand i heard
post #12 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
IMO, step up to a sound bar until you can afford a bit more, and take your time piecing a system together. A receiver and a pair of front speakers to start with (about $500), add a center later, then a sub and finally surrounds. That is a large room, and I don't think you would be happy with a super budget system.

Good luck!

post #13 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

just got home, i measure with a measuring tape, room is actually 20ft<-> and 15 feet up-down.
my tv is 15ft away.

Sorry about that I have a terrible perfecption of distance in my head.
So should i just get a soundbar? Used receiver/speakers?
What are some disadvantages and advantages?
What is the purpose of a receiver anyways, is it basically what allows me to connect my speakers?
Sorry i never had sound system before, only 20 years old.
Also i apologize for my briefness and terrible writting on my earlier post, i was on my phone.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a better idea go to freecycle.org the first post you have to give something away. the second post they let you ask for something. You could say wanted working stereo receiver and speakers. I gave away a book that I no longer wanted in my first post, but nobody wrote for it. freecycle is nice because of instead of the stuff ending up in a landfill people can actually use it. i have a rca mini stereo system that the cd player doesn't work. The radio still works on it. speakers came with it. I use the 3.5mm chord that I bought at dollar tree and put the red and white cables to the aux port on the receiver. I hook the other cable to the headphone port. I can hear internet radio on my computer. It is pretty cool. I got the stereo from freecycle.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing a new site with me.
I have check it out and sign up for it. I have to be in it for 3 months and will have two give 2 things away. Long time to wait and i may not be patient enough for it and will most likely buy used from a different place. However I will stick around it and participate on it later. I have a few things that i consider outdated but i think others may be happy to get
post #16 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

People use sound bars to re create a surround sound experience. Some people like them. some don't like them. some Bose stuff sounds okay, but I feel like they over charge for some products. I think other speaker companies can sound good for less then what a lot of Bose stuff sells for. Are you in a major city or rural? used receiver or speakers disadvantages would be that it may have problems. research the model receiver to see if it has known issues before you decide to buy it off Craigslist. Craigslist has a lot of shady sellers be careful. I think a receiver and two bookshelf speakers or two floor standing speakers are a good start. if you want to add a sub woofer later on get a receiver that has a sub woofer output. Some receivers that don't have a sub woofer output can still use two speaker wires from the receiver to the sub woofer and two speaker wires from the speakers to the sub woofer. not all sub woofers that I know of allow this connection. our ears each hear things differently in speakers. I may like the way that one brand sounds like, but you may not like them. It is good to hear some of this stuff. I make the Craigslist sellers let me hear it first at there house to see if somethings wrong with it first.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

i guess they changed freecycle rules. Sorry about that Chris. It was a long time ago since I signed up.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I am thinking possibly just going soundbar, As much as I may want sorround sound speaker set up, i dont think i can afford that anytime soon. With classes, car, rent and only working part time+my side job(tutoring+repairing computers).

The cons that i have heard is that is not real sorround.
ANything else i may need to know about soundbars. I think what's left is to start researching best bang per buck soundbar now.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

if you buy from a thrift store know that Salvation Army doesn't allow refunds on electronics. it's as is. Goodwill changed it's policy recently. If you buy with cash you get a gift card. It has a 7 day return policy. If you buy with a credit card, I heard they refund it back to your credit card if you return within 7 days. Community Aid won't let you return Electronics even if they don't work. I am not sure about everything else. I don't have a Saint Vincent De Paul thrift store where I moved but sometimes they have good prices and other times expensive prices.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

buy a soundbar from walmart that you like. if you don't like the sound return it within 14 days I think for electronic stuff for money back. hh greg has soundbars also. I don't know what brands though. I forget if they have restocking fees. best buy used to. I don't know if they still do. People do say that soundbars aren't as good as regular surround, but still sound okay as simulated surround sound.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

maybe one of the stores could hook it up to a tv to let you hear if you like it.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much, you guys are really a great awesome community. You help people who aren't very savvy in TV's, sound, and anything audio and video related .

I will look around stores and research.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page