Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am new to this forum!

I am looking to save money, and possibly put payments down towards a system. However, I'm not sure where to look at since my situation requires paying with cash, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I do admit I love technology, but since I am disabled it makes it hard for me to understand.

I am into music, but not into singing, or for DJ's or nothing like that. I love music as in listening. I am interested in either AMP/Pre-AMP combined, or a Receiver, but does that really fit my needs?

Could someone please mention walk in stores for my area? I live in Pennsylvania, and too be exact I am in the Lehigh Valley which is the Allentown/Bethlehem area.

Thank you if someone could help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Give us more info about what you expect from your system, the parts of your system that you already have figured out (e.g. what will you be using as sources?), your budget, etc.

I can answer one question before you even answer all that: You should get a receiver, not separates, unless you feel like spending a lot of extra money for absolutely zero audible benefit.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #3 of 79 Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply!

I am new to systems, so I would have to apologize by saying I don't know what kind of system, or anything like that. As far as the budget. I am 30yrs old on a fixed income, so for a budge would there be an option where I could make payments like every two weeks on what I could afford? Or how they agree for it?

I am sorry I couldn't come up with better answers.
post #4 of 79 Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

Thank you very much for your reply!

I am new to systems, so I would have to apologize by saying I don't know what kind of system, or anything like that. As far as the budget. I am 30yrs old on a fixed income, so for a budge would there be an option where I could make payments like every two weeks on what I could afford? Or how they agree for it?

I am sorry I couldn't come up with better answers.

If you can only pay cash, if I were you, I would save up and get a pre-paid debt card and order online. You will not find a price in the store like you can online.

Also, do you need speakers or just a receiver right now?

Look at newegg.com for receivers and speakers. They have great prices and some really good deals sometimes. Great customer service too.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
post #5 of 79 Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

So, what your saying stores are not options? I was going to purchase from stores. Thank you for that info!
post #6 of 79 Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
If what you want is a good-sounding music system (not home theater), a good integrated amplifier and some speakers is where you should start.

An HT receiver gives you relatively poor audio quality in exchange for a lot of features that are not even used in a stereo music system. The manufacturer's money and engineering is concentrated in areas that will not benefit you.

It is probably true that you will be best served by getting a secured debit or credit card that some banks offer to people who do not otherwise have credit.

This will allow online or telephone orders, to your advantage.

The Cambridge 350A amplifier and 350C CD player are good-quality starter components for good music listening. They are available from Amazon and Needle Doctor, among others, at a substantial discount.

A ballpark idea of how much you can spend for the speakers, amplifier, and other components would help to make recommendations.

Quote:

Hello,

I am new to this forum!

I am looking to save money, and possibly put payments down towards a system. However, I'm not sure where to look at since my situation requires paying with cash, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I do admit I love technology, but since I am disabled it makes it hard for me to understand.

I am into music, but not into singing, or for DJ's or nothing like that. I love music as in listening. I am interested in either AMP/Pre-AMP combined, or a Receiver, but does that really fit my needs?

Could someone please mention walk in stores for my area? I live in Pennsylvania, and too be exact I am in the Lehigh Valley which is the Allentown/Bethlehem area.

Thank you if someone could help me!

post #7 of 79 Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM

I suggest you discuss with the great folks on this board to see which system and which configuration (2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc.) will fit your needs then go to your local Best Buy or other local stores that offer financing options. But I agree with others who suggested buying online because you will find cheaper prices online.
post #8 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys. I am sorry, but I still think hhgregg, or Best Buy are for my financing options.

How do I figure out which system would best fit my needs? I am new to this, so I'm not sure what will work, and brand name with models should I be looking for in stores? I don't know what information to provide, so everyone could give recommendations to look at in the store.
post #9 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Do you have any friends or relatives who can drive you to best buy or hh greg to hear some stuff? taxis are expensive. I agree with the other people buying seperate parts like the pre amp and power amp cam be more expensive. If you get a integrated amplifiar like NAD or other hi fi brands you will have to buy a seperate radio tuner if you want radio. a audio video receiver like pioneer, onkyo, and denon already have the radio tuner in them. If u still want to go with something like a NAD integrated amp you can sometimes find radio tuners to hook up to integrated amp for 9 or 10 bucks. I saw 3 this year at salvation army and goodwill. If you just like music do you want a new system or okay with used speakers and a receiver? I see a lot of Aiwa stereo systems at thrift stores all of the time. They don't make them anymore. some people like them. other people don't. I see them for 10 bucks to 50 bucks usually. I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it but maybe 10 to 20 bucks.
post #10 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

a lot of yard sales are happening this summer. maybe one near you will have a stereo system for a good deal.
post #11 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Would I be better off going with 2 channels, or 5.1 channels? Also, what would be a good choice between Denon, Pioneer, or Onkyo?

I probably won't need a 5.1 channel Surround for what I would like? With one of those receivers, could I hook up my PC, and it that way as well instead of using my PC speakers? I do admit everyone is right I want everything integrated, and including a radio tuner. I was looking at bestbuy.com, but I'm not sure what is decent, and what is not. With a 2 channels, would that be 2 speakers and 1 subwoofer?
post #12 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Stereo (2 channels) can be 2.0 (left and right) or 2.1 (left + right + subwoofer).

The Sherwood RX-4503 is the only 2.1 receiver that Best Buy has and that's the one I bought a few months ago to listen to my records. It's a decent stereo receiver for the money.

Also, Best Buy has several 2.0 receivers for you to choose from. The Insignia NS-R2001 is made by Sherwood for Best Buy, FYI.
post #13 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Leo King!

Does any of those receivers you mentioned has a radio tuner built in? Thank you everyone for all the great replies and the support I got!
post #14 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 PM

I forgot to say if your powered subwoofer has speaker level IN and OUT, you can add it easily to a 2.0 or 2.1 receiver.
post #15 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thank you, Leo King!

Does any of those receivers you mentioned has a radio tuner built in? Thank you everyone for all the great replies and the support I got!

All receivers have tuners. Integrated amps don't.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
post #16 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Leo King!

A receiver is a pre-amplifier + amplifier + AM&FM tuner. Some more expensive tuners even have built-in satellite tuners in addition to the AM & FM.

(I believe Best Buy offers financing options only on the purchases of $149 and greater.)
post #17 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

do you want big or small speakers?
post #18 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

do you want big or small speakers?

Right, if the receiver is less than $149, add the speakers or something else to make your order eligible for 6 month financing.
post #19 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

if money is pretty tight and you want some bass get floor standing speakers. bookshelf speakers still sound good, but I am not sure how much bass you want. Do you live in a row home? a lot of row homes are in the north east. Sometimes neighbors complain about feeling the bass from a sub woofer next door. i noticed that the walls in row homes are thin sometimes so you hear what your neighbor does. You could try out floorstanding speakers first and see if you still want a subwoofer or try out bookshelf speakers and see if they sound good enough. I think that it would be good to hear some stuff though and see if you like smaller or bigger speakers better. we all like different things.
post #20 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

sometimes polk audio speakers are on sale at best buy and hh greg. I hear that a lot of people like polk audio. what kind of music do you listen to?
post #21 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

sometimes stores will give you so much percent off for one day if you get a credit card with them. I opened up a credit card account at a department store when buying my lcd t.v. I think I got 15 or 20 percent off.
post #22 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

to answer your question about stereos being able to play through the computer you can buy from dollar tree or deals a 3.5mm jack. you plug the red and white cable to aux port on the back of the receiver. you put the other part to the headphone jack on laptop. I am using a rca mini stereo for sound on my net book. The cable isn't to long. It depends on how far the stereo is from the computer. It may work. I am not sure if somebody can use other longer cables to hook up to the computer from the stereo. This is how I use it though.
post #23 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Yep, the output and input jacks on the soundcard normally are the 1/8" (3.5mm) jacks whereas the jacks on the receivers are RCA (phono) jacks. You will need an adapter like this one.
post #24 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just a thought, but virtually all radio is available through the Internet. I heart radio, tune in radio, pandora, etc. $100-$200 on a good 2. 1 speaker system for your PC might give you what you want.

If you want to go to a standalone audio system from there you can.
post #25 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

other cool internet radio sites slacker jango shoutcast addictedtoradio.com
live365
post #26 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that you can hear local radio stations on some of these like i heart radio and tunein some websites for the local radio station let you hear it also.
post #27 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all answers! I read them all!

I like older music. I personally myself like 80's music, and if I have a second favorite decade of music to pick then I pick 90's. I also like the Grateful Dead.
post #28 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Another thought, lots of upgrades going on and lots of really good stereos collecting dust. Be patient and here, Craigslist or something advertise what you want, you can probably get a great deal.

Is there an audio club in the area? I wish you were close, I've got two channel equipment collecting dust I'd give you.
post #29 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Thank you for all answers! I read them all!

I like older music. I personally myself like 80's music, and if I have a second favorite decade of music to pick then I pick 90's. I also like the Grateful Dead.

Internet radio all the way.
post #30 of 79 Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM

And if you have a smartphone with data plan, it's available all the time. Most have free apps you can use, just get some decent headphones, or speaker set with USB connection.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page