Is there a need for more than 4 HDMI inputs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I am in the market for a new receiver. I am a bit of an AV noob so I apologize if my situation gets a little specific, but I'll get the broader questions out of the way first. For the short term, I don't need more than a 5.1 setup for my bedroom. But it is a little difficult to find a 5.1, future-proof receiver in my budget that has 4 hdmi ports. I love the simplicity of HDMI. 6 ports would be ideal for me as I already have a bunch of 1.4 HDMI cables and:

1. A PS3
2. XBOX 360
3. Seagate Media Box
4. HD Cable Box
5. Gonna have the new Nintendo
6. And I occasionally hook up my computer

Is the lack of hdmi ports too small an issue to legitimize a move up to 7.1 for extra ports? I'd Imagine it would if 3D is taken into consideration. Alternatively, is there an easier way to get a streamlined experience (ie: not having to switch TV inputs due to different receiver output connectors) if i do have only 4 hdmi ports to work with? Generally, the 5.1 sets I've seen with around 6 ports are fairly new and thus around the same price of some quality 7.1s on the market anyways, unless I am overlooking some. I'd imagine 7.1 sets usually give you better bang for your buck in terms of features and audio quality as well would they?

If you guys can help me to shop, that would be great. I won't mention prices because I'm Canadian, but o give you an idea of what my budget is like, I'm currently locked down to either the Yamaha RXV571 and the Denon AVR1712.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 AM

I wouldn't want to be short on HDMI ports personally.

May want to check out the Onkyo TX-SR414, it's around the same MSRP as the Denon AVR1712 but has 6 HDMI ports.

CrispNClean
post #3 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Although you can simply add an HDMI switch to increase the number of HDMI inputs needed, the Denon 1712 (w/Audyssey MultEQ XT) will offer the best audio fidelity of likely any model you are considering in that price range. With Onkyo you have to go up to either the 709 or the newer 818 to get the same or more advanced version. Also note that any Onkyo in this same price range will only offer Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ a sub. You also may want to wait for the Denon 1713 which has the same MultEQ XT, offers networking, as well as a front panel HDMI jack, although is only 5.1.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

^Thanks man. I was leaning towards the 1712, because. Audio fidelity is what I've been prioritizing. And I don't mind sacrificing networking features to achieve that. I'm not ruling out expanding/upgrading to a 7.1 setup in the future so at least that flexibility is there. The 1713 meets my current criteria very well tho. Being Canadian I think I'll have to wait a while for it to not cost an arm and a leg but it still stands as an excellent suggestion.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You'll likely get a better clearance deal on the 1712 as well.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 AM

BrTalip,

Not sure if discussing stores/prices is allowed so I'll PM you a few places to check out. I'm in Canada as well and have researched the pricing thing a bit

CrispNClean
post #7 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Liked: 11
You can always get a switch if you need more HDMI ports.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrTalip View Post

Hey guys. I am in the market for a new receiver. I am a bit of an AV noob so I apologize if my situation gets a little specific, but I'll get the broader questions out of the way first. For the short term, I don't need more than a 5.1 setup for my bedroom. But it is a little difficult to find a 5.1, future-proof receiver in my budget that has 4 hdmi ports. I love the simplicity of HDMI. 6 ports would be ideal for me as I already have a bunch of 1.4 HDMI cables and:

1. A PS3
2. XBOX 360
3. Seagate Media Box
4. HD Cable Box
5. Gonna have the new Nintendo
6. And I occasionally hook up my computer

Is the lack of hdmi ports too small an issue to legitimize a move up to 7.1 for extra ports? I'd Imagine it would if 3D is taken into consideration. Alternatively, is there an easier way to get a streamlined experience (ie: not having to switch TV inputs due to different receiver output connectors) if i do have only 4 hdmi ports to work with? Generally, the 5.1 sets I've seen with around 6 ports are fairly new and thus around the same price of some quality 7.1s on the market anyways, unless I am overlooking some. I'd imagine 7.1 sets usually give you better bang for your buck in terms of features and audio quality as well would they?

If you guys can help me to shop, that would be great. I won't mention prices because I'm Canadian, but o give you an idea of what my budget is like, I'm currently locked down to either the Yamaha RXV571 and the Denon AVR1712.

If you already have it laid out for 6 then to keep it future proof nothing short of 7 would sound more reasonable.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I personally find a front panel HDMI input to be quite handy.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. Think I'm going to snag the AVR 1712 it's hovering around 400 so I think I might bite. The RXV671 is the same price but I'm liking the audio specs of the denon more.

^and about future proofing. 6 should be enough, if anything I can move a few things over to Component.

One last question guys. Component upcoversion means that I can send component signals over the HDMI input to keep everything on one TV input right? Or ami I misinterpreting things? If so I will look for this feature on 5.1 receivers.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
585-645-1006

^^
It means you can connect a component cable to the AVR and output the video to the display via an HDMI cable. The 1712 does not have this feature as it starts on the 1912 and higher models. If you connect a component IN, you must also connect a component OUT to the TV.

"JD" –

post #12 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispAndClean View Post

May want to check out the Onkyo TX-SR414, it's around the same MSRP as the Denon AVR1712 but has 6 HDMI ports.

CrispNClean

I believe the 1712 has 6 HDMI inputs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page