Anthem MRX 700 Power Protection Shutdown Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a new Anthem MRX 700, it will play music at quiet and moderate levels, but shuts down when the volume is turned up to higher levels. This has happened when playing DVD-Audio discs in both stereo and multichannel. The volume level can be raised to somwhere between 35-25 in multichannel and 25-17 in stereo. Even at 17 I do not believe the overall loudness is close to the Denon 3802 reciever this has replaced. When shutting down the reciever displays "AMP Shutdown Power Protection" breifly.

Does anyone know if this is indicative of a faulty receiver or if it is normal for this model? If this is normal, are there are any settings or adjustments that can be made?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Not normal.

I have another bad 700 I'm waiting to get rid of. But I can get into those volumes easily enough.

Static in right channels, second unit for me. I've also found bass seems to come and go..... strange.

Waiting for the new CA receivers before getting an Arcam replacement.

Air circulation, properly connected speaker wire, stray wire, etc. Maybe a factory reset is in order.

Last thing to check is what kind of speakers you have. If you are running a set of big Maggies, for instance, that could cause problems. Or maybe you have the bass up too high. It's very common with HT types.

Personally, I've been disappointed in SQ, codec reliability(and the resulting loud noises), HDMI handshakes, the amps, static, and audio music playback SQ is horrendous.

I'm amazed how "amazingly spectacular" this receiver is to so many people. Their addiction to room correction blinds them to actual SQ. Which, of course, is the same for "ALL AMPS", i guess. Because "all amps are the same" in the AVS world.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM

My 700 has never shut down.

And I am driving 4 ohm speakers.

Something is not right.

Mine is also a real powerhouse, very powerful receiver.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

The speakers are suite of Goldenears with Triton Two mains, no stand alone subwoofer. I did not hook up the speakers myself. That is something I would like to check; though. I would think of any wires were shorted the receiver would never stay powered on the first place. I dont know that speakers wired with the polarity wrong could cause this either. Probably worth checking though.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Personally, I've been disappointed in SQ, codec reliability(and the resulting loud noises), HDMI handshakes, the amps, static, and audio music playback SQ is horrendous.

I'm amazed how "amazingly spectacular" this receiver is to so many people. Their addiction to room correction blinds them to actual SQ. Which, of course, is the same for "ALL AMPS", i guess. Because "all amps are the same" in the AVS world.

I'm amazed at how 1 person can constantly bitch about "gurgling noises and static heard thru the speakers" regarding this receiver and now you're adding SQ?

Get your Arcam already and improve your SQ so we dont have to hear your whining.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If it doesn't turn out to be a speaker wire problem, return it.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Not normal.

I have another bad 700 I'm waiting to get rid of. But I can get into those volumes easily enough.

Static in right channels, second unit for me. I've also found bass seems to come and go..... strange.

Air circulation, properly connected speaker wire, stray wire, etc. Maybe a factory reset is in order.

Last thing to check is what kind of speakers you have. If you are running a set of big Maggies, for instance, that could cause problems. Or maybe you have the bass up too high. It's very common with HT types.

If you've ever worked in a factory you will know that you can get bad run. That bad run can be sent to one place. It happens. Easiest thing to do is just get your dealer to order a new one else from the factory.

On another note, not all amps sound the same. I hear a huge difference between my MRX700 and Pioneer SC-27. Huge difference. And that's before I use ARC.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Not normal.

Clearly the ones who rave about their MRX have one that works properly. We are not blinded by our room correction, we simply appreciate how good it sounds as a result of ARC. You can, as was mentioned above, get a new unit and then enjoy the full potential of this receiver.
To OP, post this in the Anthem MRX thread and perhaps someone can help.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page