AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Look what just Hit the Market ....

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...roducts/upa500
Quote:
Finally, truly affordable separates. The UPA-500 is the first amplifier of our revamped Ultra Series line, and it delivers the most amazing price-to-performance ratio available today. It offers everything you’d expect in a great multi-channel, audiophile power amplifier: oversized power supply with plenty of storage reserves, wide, flat frequency response, vanishingly low noise and distortion, bulletproof protection, advanced engineering, and heavy-duty construction. And like all of our power amplifiers, it’s rated to deliver full power under all conditions, with all channels driven.

The UPA-500 - Don’t tell them how little you paid for it; it'll be our secret...

FEATURES
A true audiophile-quality multi-channel amplifier.
Advanced engineering with our proven class A/B design topology.
Top quality parts and construction.
Real power easily drives complex loads.
Heavy duty power supply with oversized toroidal transformer.
Gold plated five way binding post output terminals.
Classic Emotiva styling with rugged solid steel chassis.
15mm solid milled aluminum faceplate.
Channel status LED’s.
Remote trigger input and output.
115 VAC or 230 VAC with automatic detection and switching.
Full protection from all common input and output fault conditions.

80 watts per Channel .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll keep my UPA-7 ..... seems a little under powered to Me !

Mike

post #3 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Specs

Quote:
Specifications

Topology: Fully discrete, dual differential, high current, short signal path Class A/B
Number of Channels: 5
Power Output
(rated power; THD < 0.01%):
120 watts / channel (4 ohms; all channels driven)
80 watts / channel (8 ohms; all channels driven)
Rated Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 8 Ohm load): 10 Hz to 20 kHz + /- 0.06 dB
Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (each channel): 4 ohms (which equals one 4 ohm load or two paralleled 8 ohm loads per channel)
Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 70 kHz (+ 0 / - 3 dB)
THD + noise: < 0.01%
Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load):
> 96 dB at 1 watt (A-weighted)
> 117 dB at rated power (A-weighted)
Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500
Speaker Output Connections:
Full-sized 5-way binding posts; one pair per channel x 5
Power Supply:
0.85 kVA toroidal power transformer
40,000 uF of storage capacitance
Input sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 850 mV
Gain: 29 dB
Input Connections: Unbalanced (RCA); one per channel
Input Impedance: 47 kOhms
Trigger:
Trigger Input: 5 - 20 V (AC or DC); <10 mA input current required
Trigger Output: 12 VDC; can drive any load up to 50 mA
Power Requirements: 115 VAC or 230 VAC +/- 10% @ 50 / 60 Hz (automatically detected and switched)
Front Panel Controls and Indicators:
Standby; push button (changes color to indicate Standby or On)
Status LEDs (one per channel); illuminate blue for normal operation or red to indicate a fault (may be disabled by rear panel Status LED switch)
Rear Panel Controls:
AC Power switch; rocker switch (switches AC mains power)
Status LEDs switch; small slide switch on left rear (disables front panel Status LEDs and dims Standby button halo lighting)
Protection: The UPA-500 is protected against excessive operating temperature, shorted speaker connections, ground faults, and other common fault conditions. If a fault occurs, the UPA-500 will return to Standby mode, the Standby push button will light amber, and the Status LEDs will flash red.
Dimensions: 17” wide x 3.375” high x 16.5” deep (includes feet and binding posts)
Weight: 24 lbs (net); 32 lbs (packaged)

UPA-500 | 80W x 5

Mike

post #4 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just bought this with a UMC-1. I'm just entering the world of hifi audio so this should suit my needs perfectly. I have smallish speakers, most rates for 150 watts max. If I ever upgrade my mains then I could get an XPA-3 just for that and put the UPA-500 on surround duty.

I've never had a separate amp. With this amp running at full power all the time, how will that affect the heat levels and overal long term reliability of the amp? It would definitely be running at full nonstop in my setup. 4 ohm fronts and 8 ohm surrounds.
post #5 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
^
I think it's perfect for someone wanting to step into the world of separates.. like you said you can just relegate it to surround duty later on.

I was considering adding this amp to my setup, instead of using the internal Onkyo 809 amp, I only have a 5.1 setup, but I'm not sure now, I might take a closer look at the XPA line.

I think its a good move by Emotiva though to introduce this amp, I'm looking forward to reading reviews, hopefully soon.

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #6 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

^
I think it's perfect for someone wanting to step into the world of separates.. like you said you can just relegate it to surround duty later on.

I was considering adding this amp to my setup, instead of using the internal Onkyo 809 amp, I only have a 5.1 setup, but I'm not sure now, I might take a closer look at the XPA line.

I think its a good move by Emotiva though to introduce this amp, I'm looking forward to reading reviews, hopefully soon.

I wish they had kept the UPA-7 , I have one & it's a Great Amp it's twice the size Of this one ...

Mike

post #7 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I know theres one in the works, not sure if its a U or X series 7 channel amp. Dan (from emotiva) commented about it in the lounge..

Would you agree that when it comes to amplifiers, size does matter..

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #8 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know theres one in the works, not sure if its a U or X series 7 channel amp. Dan (from emotiva) commented about it in the lounge..

Yes size does matter , even having more amp than you need, a powerful amp will still improve the SQ . It's Not about volume ....

Mike

post #9 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I wish they had kept the UPA-7 , I have one & it's a Great Amp it's twice the size Of this one ...

I bought a new one 3.5 years ago - sold it recently since I do 5.1 and dislike 2 amp channels idling all the time. I have a pair of Acurus amps now - an A200 two channel and an A200x3 three channel. They have similar specs to the XPA series - of which I just sold 2 of - an XPA-2 and XPA-5. They are too damned big and heavy. The Acurus amps do the same for less weight and space.

All that and I should have stayed with the UPA-7 - great sounding amp. That new UPA-500 should be a nice amp for high efficiency speakers or smaller rooms.

Quote:

That would be the XPA-7. From what I've read its the same specs as the XPA-3/5 amps - 200wpc into 8ohms and 300wpc into 4ohms. Probably will weigh around 90-100 pounds.

As for weight of an amp being an indicator of quality or power - no - my Acurus amps sound just like the XPA-5 did and pretty much the same power per channel. The more efficient an amp is the less cooling fins it needs for the final transistors. And some digital amps weigh just 15 pounds and put out 3 and 4 times the power of the XPA-2 per channel. The XPA-2 weighs about 66 pounds.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #10 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

As for weight of an amp being an indicator of quality or power - no - my Acurus amps sound just like the XPA-5 did and pretty much the same power per channel. The more efficient an amp is the less cooling fins it needs for the final transistors. And some digital amps weigh just 15 pounds and put out 3 and 4 times the power of the XPA-2 per channel. The XPA-2 weighs about 66 pounds.

That's why I liked the new UPA-500, for its size. I would have space for it right now, but anything bigger would require a new setup (see pic, although my next move, next month, is to purchase 5 Arx A2 speakers)

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...b6086119db3ff2

Arx A2 Specs:

•Frequency Response: 50Hz-22kHz +/- 3dB
•Low Frequency cutoff: 38Hz -6dB
•Sensitivity (1w/1m): 90dB
•System type: Convertible bass reflex tuned to 52Hz
•Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
•Minimum impedance: 6 ohms
•Recommended Power: 20-200W
•Dimensions: 180 x 620 x 260mm
•Dimensions: 7.1 x 24.5 x 10.25in

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Move that skinny component on the left to the top of the TV stand or to the right side and just remove the shelves. Then just slide in the XPA-5 on the left and enjoy. lol

How big is your room? Do you play movies loud(110-115db)?

Because of the new speakers I'm getting, the center channel will have to be on the top shelf, the speaker is pretty big, wont leave much space. I already have the 809 (40lbs) in the center, if I was to add an XPA-5 (76lbs) on the left, you think it would hold !? Stand looks pretty solid, but its from Ikea.. How much breathing room does an amp like that need, especially on top? The height that I have to play with is just over 10inches, but at least my stand is open front/back.

I do like to listen to movies pretty loud sometimes, music also.. my room is 12 x 25 but with two large openings (each bigger than a 2-door opening) leading to front entrance and dining room.
LL

post #11 of 156 Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's why I liked the new UPA-500, for its size. I would have space for it right now, but anything bigger would require a new setup (see pic, although my next move, next month, is to purchase 5 Arx A2 speakers)

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...b6086119db3ff2

Arx A2 Specs:

Frequency Response: 50Hz-22kHz +/- 3dB
Low Frequency cutoff: 38Hz -6dB
Sensitivity (1w/1m): 90dB
System type: Convertible bass reflex tuned to 52Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum impedance: 6 ohms
Recommended Power: 20-200W
Dimensions: 180 x 620 x 260mm
Dimensions: 7.1 x 24.5 x 10.25in

Because of the new speakers I'm getting, the center channel will have to be on the top shelf, the speaker is pretty big, wont leave much space. I already have the 809 (40lbs) in the center, if I was to add an XPA-5 (76lbs) on the left, you think it would hold !? Stand looks pretty solid, but its from Ikea.. How much breathing room does an amp like that need, especially on top? The height that I have to play with is just over 10inches, but at least my stand is open front/back.

I do like to listen to movies pretty loud sometimes, music also.. my room is 12 x 25 but with two large openings (each bigger than a 2-door opening) leading to front entrance and dining room.

I really think the UPA-500 is a waste of money for you. I don't think the UPA-500 has much more watts then your receiver. Also, you are matching this 80watt amp up with 200watt speakers?

I think the UPA-500 could be a great amp for someone investing in budget separates.

Also, I think 76lbs of the XPA-5 on the bottom shelf would be fine. Worst come to worst, you can add a few 2x4 feet under the bottom to be safe.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 156 Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Emotiva amps are famous that run really cool , so not to worry about heat.
that Onkyo AVR will output more heat than a XPA-5 ever will

Mike

post #13 of 156 Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really think the UPA-500 is a waste of money for you. I don't think the UPA-500 has much more watts then your receiver. Also, you are matching this 80watt amp up with 200watt speakers?

Also, I think 76lbs of the XPA-5 on the bottom shelf would be fine. Worst come to worst, you can add a few 2x4 feet under the bottom to be safe.

Yeah you're right.. what was I thinking lol

Great suggestion regarding adding 2x4 feet if needed, I need to start thinking more creatively like that !

Quote:

Emotiva amps are famous that run really cool , so not to worry about heat.
that Onkyo AVR will output more heat than a XPA-5 ever will

Perfect then, I always thought an amp like this running up to 200w x5 would run much hotter than an AVR, but obviously you've owned these amps so you would know, very reassuring, thx.

post #14 of 156 Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Liked: 13
This looks like a real fine amp. These are "real" 80w/channel, not your garden variety-type watts from an Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, or Denon receiver that tend to wither when forced to push 5 or more channels. The fact that this amp is rated at 4-ohms with all channels driven tells you that it has the chops to get the job done!
post #15 of 156 Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Also, you are matching this 80watt amp up with 200watt speakers?

By your reasoning I should have an amp with 500wpc since my main speakers are rated at 50-500wpc. Don't look just at the highest wattage figure - they (usually) have a range. Speakers don't need to be matched to the amp wattage wise.

The UPA-500 is speced at 80wpc all channels driven. Find an AVR with those numbers - I'll wait...

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #16 of 156 Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 109
850 VA puts it more in line with higher end receivers maybe? It would be a nice match for a lower powered receiver with pre outs, or their own budget pre-pro. Sadly, they don't put pre outs on the most low-mid range models (why did Yamaha pull pres outs from the 600 series?)

But I am not sure it would offer a lot more performance than a higher end receiver sans external amps. Look at those higher end THX rated Onkyo models. I have to think the UPA would be of no help there. On the other hand, it could be used to drive surrounds only, leaving a better receiver to drive the L/R channels. Could that give better performance?

I could be wrong, of course - all speculation on my part.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #17 of 156 Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

The UPA-500 is speced at 80wpc all channels driven. Find an AVR with those numbers - I'll wait...

The HK 3600. Well, you asked
post #18 of 156 Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By your reasoning I should have an amp with 500wpc since my main speakers are rated at 50-500wpc. Don't look just at the highest wattage figure - they (usually) have a range. Speakers don't need to be matched to the amp wattage wise.

Not really what I was saying. I wasn't trying to match the wattage of his speakers. It is the only Emotiva I see that I believe that would come close to fit the bill. If they still made the XPA-7, I would have recommended that one.

I just don't see the value in this amp. Yeah, most inexpensive AVRs only put out 40-60watts all channels driven but this amp a little bit of a performance boost.

Think of it this way, if I go out to buy a $600 AVR and then the UPA-500. Wouldn't I more then likely see better performance, SQ and feature set if I just buy a $1,000+ AVR?

In my opinion, for a true HT enthusiast, the UPA-500 is a tide you over amp. If you buy cheap, you buy twice.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 156 Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Liked: 11
I don't get why everyone is so excited about this amp. To me it's like a neutered UPA-5 which closed out 1.5 years ago for the same price! I doubt that they were losing money on it at that prics so why would they not have just kept that one in the line up?
post #20 of 156 Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really what I was saying. I wasn't trying to match the wattage of his speakers. It is the only Emotiva I see that I believe that would come close to fit the bill. If they still made the XPA-7, I would have recommended that one.

I just don't see the value in this amp. Yeah, most inexpensive AVRs only put out 40-60watts all channels driven but this amp a little bit of a performance boost.

Think of it this way, if I go out to buy a $600 AVR and then the UPA-500. Wouldn't I more then likely see better performance, SQ and feature set if I just buy a $1,000+ AVR?

In my opinion, for a true HT enthusiast, the UPA-500 is a tide you over amp. If you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

I don't get why everyone is so excited about this amp. To me it's like a neutered UPA-5 which closed out 1.5 years ago for the same price! I doubt that they were losing money on it at that prics so why would they not have just kept that one in the line up?

What a lot of people miss is this amp is designed to mate with the new processor that is coming out from Emotiva , that's what they indent it's real use to be .
My problem with all that is the Old Processor (UMC-1)was really buggy & took 2 years to even work without all flaws .So my faith in the new processor is guarded .....

Mike

post #21 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

What a lot of people miss is this amp is designed to mate with the new processor that is coming out from Emotiva , that's what they indent it's real use to be .
My problem with all that is the Old Processor (UMC-1)was really buggy & took 2 years to even work without all flaws .So my faith in the new processor is guarded .....

Hang in for another year or two and you may get to hear the new processor. The UPA may be replaced before the new processor is available.
post #22 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The true advantage to a separate amp like this is not only the full power with all channels driven spec, which is important, but more so in the damping factor, which is listed as >500. In speaking with one of the owners of a local high end A/V shop he made that point clear. Damping factor is what gives the amp control over the drivers. The higher the better. He said that even a relatively cheap separate amp, like a Parasound Halo 125 watt/ch model he sold for around $800 has better damping than a $7,000 flagship AVR like a Denon, which was below 100.

Granted, AVR's are getting very good, but in cramming all that technology into one chassis, with shared power supplies, compromises must be made.

Back when Outlaw Audio introduced their first AVR, the model 1050, I had a Marantz Pro-Logic AVR with 110 watts x3 for the L/C/R, and 75 watts for the surrounds. I was never fully satisfied with it. I looked at the Outlaw 1050, but was a little hesitant due to the power rating. 65 watts/ch with 3 channels driven. I called Outlaw to express my concern that it was going up against my Marantz with 110 watts. They were confident I would be pleasantly surprised. So I ordered one. I must admit, when it came and I unpacked it, I had more doubts. It was much more compact than the Marantz, but it was SOLID. Hefty. Build quality was evident. After hooking it up and playing the scene from Private Ryan where the sharp shooter takes out the Nazi gunner in the beach storming sequence, my doubts vanished. The dynamics and punch were just what I was looking for. The "mere" 65 watts per channel blew the Marantz 110 watts out of the water. The secondary capacitance of the Outlaw was close to 40,000uF, which I see is what the UPA-500 lists. Add to that it has 15 more watts per channel than the Outlaw had, but with ALL channels driven. I'd feel confident that this amp will have plenty of kick for most sane applications.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV!
post #23 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
I really lamented over the discountinuation of the UPA 5/7. This has breathed new life into my H/T ambitions.

Also,

Just throwing this out,

80w 8ohm / 140w 4 ohm can be deceiving for those who are uneasy about the total power specs.

This amp seems to have a pretty low noise floor on top of the damping and impedence specs.

Also consider, gaining 3 decibels requires a doubling of power. The power requirements thus grow exponentially. With some really efficient speakers especially, i.e paradigm, klipsch, B&W etc I dont think most folks will hear a difference between this amp or one with double or nearly triple the power.
post #24 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Looks like a fabulous way to enter the separates market. UMC-1 and UPA-500

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #25 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

^

I'm sure the 809 will put out 80 watts to 5 channels pretty easily. It seems like more of a sideways move to add the upa500 to your setup. I think it would be for people who use seperates that don't need 200 watts per channel and not so much for adding to a receiver.

post #26 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Hang in for another year or two and you may get to hear the new processor. The UPA may be replaced before the new processor is available.

I have my UPA-7 & UPA-2 , they have to pry them from my cold fingers 1st ..

Nah I'm not looking at a Emotiva processor at all they just don't have the processing & software like the big boys do when it comes to DTS , Audyssey , Dolby

Mike

post #27 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Nah I'm not looking at a Emotiva processor at all they just don't have the processing & software like the big boys do when it comes to DTS , Audyssey , Dolby

You are right. EmoQ is just not going to compete with ARC. Nor is it going to compete with say XT32 that is in the Denon 4311. Having said that, I've been looking at both the Denon and the Anthem and both have their hic-ups.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #28 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When did they drop DTS and Dolby? I haven not tried XT32. I have not been impressed with the other RC systems.
post #29 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

When did they drop DTS and Dolby? I haven not tried XT32. I have not been impressed with the other RC systems.

they didn't actually drop DTS & Dolby but they don't have the codecs that Audyssey applies to DTS & Dolby as well the many different listening modes that come as a package

Mike

post #30 of 156 Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

they didn't actually drop DTS & Dolby but they don't have the codecs that Audyssey applies to DTS & Dolby as well the many different listening modes that come as a package

I have had 2 versions of Audyssey and was not aware of any added codecs as a result of Audyssey. Please elaborate. Also what listening modes come with Audyssey?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Upa 500 Five Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page