post #31 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Not true. What audio quality (bitrate) does MOG support? MOG can't tell what your bandwidth is from a mobile device, only that it's streaming over either cellular or wifi connection.

You are wrong about this. I am looking at the settings on my Galaxy Nexus MOG app and there is a Settings checkbox which states:

"High Quality Streaming on 4G or WiFi. Streams are 320 or 256 kbps MP3s at High Quality. They are either 64 kbps AAC+ (or 128 kbps MP3 if AAC+ is not supported) when off to save bandwidth."

Quote:

Not true. Pandora Audio Quality:

Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192k for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128k audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+.

How is this different from what I wrote? "All in-home devices" = "ALL standalone devices." In other words, with a paid account, you can stream 192kbps from your computer, but only 128kbps from a standalone device, such as an AVR capable of Pandora streaming.

Quote:

It's about 70% of their collection. I just confirmed with a friend who is an original investor....[/i]

About your claim that Spotify's catalog is 70% at 320kbps, I don't know.... When I was using it a few months ago, it seemed to be a third or so of what I was listening to. Maybe things have changed more recently.

P.S. I just did a search and saw the claim of 60% from a while back. But someone did a test last year and here are the (somewhat disappointing) results, which kind of jive with my experience:

http://www.spotifyclassical.com/2011...ry-so-far.html

I am neither married to MOG, nor an investor in either I'd love to see some real competition among the streaming services, but so far, MOG seems to be the high quality winner, which was my greatest priority when chosing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

You are wrong about this. I am looking at the settings on my Galaxy Nexus MOG app and there is a Settings checkbox which states:

"High Quality Streaming on 4G or WiFi. Streams are 320 or 256 kbps MP3s at High Quality. They are either 64 kbps AAC+ (or 128 kbps MP3 if AAC+ is not supported) when off to save bandwidth."

OK, we were both wrong, because you stated that everything was 320kbps. You win.

Quote:
How is this different from what I wrote? "All in-home devices" = "ALL standalone devices." In other words, with a paid account, you can stream 192kbps from your computer, but only 128kbps from a standalone device, such as an AVR capable of Pandora streaming.

I don't know about you, but my desktop computer is a standalone device. The truth is, you left out the 192kbps part, I wonder why?

Quote:
About your claim that Spotify's catalog is 70% at 320kbps, I don't know.... When I was using it a few months ago, it seemed to be a third or so of what I was listening to.

P.S. I just did a search and saw the claim of 60% from a while back. But someone did a test last year and here are the (rather disappointing) results, which kind of jive with my experience:

http://www.spotifyclassical.com/2011...ry-so-far.html

But it's still not the The vast majority of content is at 160kbps, as you originally stated. It's not my claim, I had no idea. But I will take the word of the guy with $30M invested over yours, although I thank you for the link.

Sorry I've upset your sensitivities. I don't mind promotion of what you like or think best, but lets stick to the facts when doing so. Now run along and enjoy your MOG.

/argument over

post #33 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But it's still not the The vast majority of content is at 160kbps, as you originally stated. It's not my claim, I had no idea. But I will take the word of the guy with $30M invested over yours, although I thank you for the link.

Sorry I've upset your sensitivities. I don't mind promotion of what you like or think best, but lets stick to the facts when doing so. Now run along and enjoy your MOG.

/argument over

Hm. I shared my experience with Pandora, Mog and Spotify. When I tried Spotify, it seemed like only a third of the media was at high quality, thus my statement about the "vast majority" (the remaining 70%) being streamed at 160kbps.

You made a claim of 70% at 320kbps for Spotify, so I did a search and came up with that link, which at least has some real-world tests and seems in line with my experience. You only offer something from someone who appears to have 30 million reasons to make rosy claims.

As I said, things may have changed in the few months since I gave up on Spotify. If someone has more recent experience, we are all happy to listen. This is the whole purpose of this thread.

Now I suppose I will run along to enjoy "my" MOG. You, on the other hand, should take a chill pill.
post #34 of 41 Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg8 View Post

Bear with me, could you explain this in a bit more detail. Is your Sonos from one of their Play3/Play 5 speakers?
The reason I ask I have a Russound SM3 media server (way overpirced boat anchor) that has died and rather than replacing that I have wonderd about hooking up some type of streaming thru my receiver to the CAV unit that would go to the various speakers throught the house. All of those speakers are wired by Russound's setup, just wondering if there is a less expensive way to restore the tunes in the house.

No, I have a zp90 feeding the Integra. I also have a zp120 and a play 3. The Sonos system is one of the slickest things to come along
(for music nuts like me) in years.

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

post #35 of 41 Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Liked: 10
Rdio amd pandora but I'm going to check out mog. I had spotify and switched to rdio and then added pandora.
post #36 of 41 Old 08-04-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

It's about 70% of their collection. I just confirmed with a friend who is an original investor.

As far as bandwidth this may be true, but again MOG isn't the greatest music discovery service. Hey, I liked MOG, was subscribed to them for over a year. No arguments as to quality over wifi, but there are limitations on other platforms.

Not true. What audio quality (bitrate) does MOG support? MOG can't tell what your bandwidth is from a mobile device, only that it's streaming over either cellular or wifi connection.

Not true. Pandora Audio Quality:

Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192k for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128k audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+.

dear nethawk,

we know for spotify premium sound quality is 320 k

and what about for free spotify?

thank u
post #37 of 41 Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

Hm. I shared my experience with Pandora, Mog and Spotify. When I tried Spotify, it seemed like only a third of the media was at high quality, thus my statement about the "vast majority" (the remaining 70%) being streamed at 160kbps.

You made a claim of 70% at 320kbps for Spotify, so I did a search and came up with that link, which at least has some real-world tests and seems in line with my experience. You only offer something from someone who appears to have 30 million reasons to make rosy claims.

As I said, things may have changed in the few months since I gave up on Spotify. If someone has more recent experience, we are all happy to listen. This is the whole purpose of this thread.

Now I suppose I will run along to enjoy "my" MOG. You, on the other hand, should take a chill pill.

dear ryan1,

we know for spotify premium sound quality is 320 k

and what about for free spotify?

thank u
post #38 of 41 Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 AM

Liked: 12
HI,

What is the bitrate of Spotify on Denon xx13 recievers? (I see in the mobile app you can choose 96 , 160, 320 kbps but I can't determine the rate when streaming via a Denon directly).

Thanks
post #39 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 PM

I stream MOG on occasion in my car and I can't tell a difference between that and my downloaded MOG tracks (at 320kbps). The stream is DEFINITELY NOT at 64 kbps.
post #40 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

About two weeks ago I tried Rdio and Spotify again, just to see if I might be tempted to switch from MOG.

Nope. I still prefer the MOG catalog (yep, it still has all the Pink Floyd you might want, while the others are, well, spotty smile.gif

I didn't test Spotify's stream, but I don't trust them, since for about a year they kept making 320kbps claims, while in random tests it seemed at least half of their catalog was at bitrates worse even than Pandora's.

Rdio does the social bit well, but unless you really care about it, the rest is bleh and their catalog seems a bit bleh as well.

So, I am still sticking with MOG.
post #41 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I am new to Spotify (just trying it out for 30 days). Here's what I don't understand. I can go to the search box and type in a song title. It seems in most cases, I get the results I am expecting. However, if I try to create a playlist based off some specific artists, I won't get the same results. And you are right.....Pink Floyd is a case in point! Try to create a radio station based off that artist....and there's very few songs that display. I've noticed a similar situation with The Eagles (very well known 70s band). I am also curious to know about the current bit stream of Spotify. In one article, (reportedly) Spotify claims that 99% of their songs are now at the 320 bit stream. However, I question that based on some other reports.

On the premium version of Spotify, you can go to Edit, Preference, and then choose to stream at the 320 bit stream. But, as discussed here, to what extent is it really 320? And then what about 3rd party devices, such as an AVR? Just because the 320 bit stream is chosen on a premium version of Spotify (on a PC).....does this really care over to the AVR? I don't know many of the answers here.....just making some observations.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page