Should I do front presence on my Yamaha 671 without rears? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a 5.1 setup in my last house. In this current room there is no place for rears, do people do front presence speakers without rears or is that usually not done? I just hate seeing 2 speakers sitting there not being used and looking for ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Liked: 11
I connected both Presence speakers and surround back speakers to my 867 and depending on what I was watching, I enabled either of them for the effects I liked. The Presence speakers gave me better ambient effects that make the front seemed to be deeper (having more depth) whereas the surround back speakers gave me the flying-over-the-head sounds of helicopters, bullets, etc.. I do wish the 867 had the option for me to run both at the same time so I didn't have to choose one or the other.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

But I dont have any rears AT ALL. So it would just be my 3 fronts with presence added. Didn't know if anyone did that before..
post #4 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM

Liked: 11
I imagine it will sound like an excellent 2.1 system with more depth in the front and without any surround sounds at all.

The Yamaha Presence speakers are to supplement the fronts only.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Other than dialog lift, are there any other features I should enable to maximize these presence speakers?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Front presence work best up high and wide.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix View Post

But I dont have any rears AT ALL. So it would just be my 3 fronts with presence added. Didn't know if anyone did that before..

Do you mean surrounds not 'rear' surround speakers???? I think it would sound kind of weird with no side surround or rear (back) surround speakers.

IMO, the height channel is just a fix for very poor imaging speakers. If your speakers are properly designed, they should offer good soundstaging and imaging where height speakers shouldn't be needed. Unfortunately many would rather buy a lot of cheap inferior speakers than fewer, more expensive, good speakers.

The idea is surround sound so to get the effect of a movie and be surrounded by the soundtrack, surround speakers are needed. Height channels are not needed and just a band aid for inferior speakers.

I had a Yamaha RX-V2095 prevoiusly in 1998 and it was a true 7.1 surround channel receiver. It had the traditional 5.1 plus the front effect (presence) speakers. Back then, there was no DD-EX or DTS-ES. The receiver offered 100 watts/channel for the Front, Center, and surround channels and 25 watts/channel for the front effects channels.

So what you're asking was offered 14 years ago but isn't today. My old RX-V2095 is still working at a friends doing 2.1 stereo right now. He has no interest in Surround sound.

In the years I owned the 2095, never did I ever add front effect (presence) channels because my front main speakers didn't need them, and I didn't want them.

I would try to find a way to have at least surround speakers so that you get the true and full effect of the soundtrack.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page