Denon zone 2 versus standard logitech speaker dock - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Logitech IMT620 speaker dock that I bring out to my backyard deck when I want to listen to music.

I am looking to buy a new Denon receiver for my basement home theater.

Problem is that I am having a lot of difficulty in deciding whether to get a Denon 1712 or a Denon 2113ci (with airplay and zone 2 for the backyard deck). I like the 1712 because it has multiEQ XT and 6 HDMI outputs (6 is a must). If I don't have zone 2, I don't think I need airplay. I assume I can hook up my ipod to the 1712 and play a playlist in the basement if I want music in the basement??

I was thinking the other day about the pros and cons of a receiver for the backyard deck (zone 2) versus my Logitech imt620. Can someone help me understand how to make this decision? I am not really sure what factors I should be considering.

pros for Denon 1712 + IMT620:
-A lot cheaper than getting 2113ci + outdoor speakers

cons for Denon 1712 + IMT620
-have to get IMT620 and set it up every time (not convenient)
-the IMT620 power cord runs on the ground to the outlet and someone can trip over it
-IMT620 is not weatherproof

pros for Denon 2113ci:
-convenient airplay

cons for Denon 2113ci:
-cost
-other?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Really depends on how often you expect to be outside listening to music, although keep in mind that even if you go with a Zone 2 AVR you'll still need to run speaker wires out to the speakers as wireless speakers generally don't perform well outdoors. Also note that the 1713 has XT and Airplay although would need an external amp for Zone 2.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Really depends on how often you expect to be outside listening to music, although keep in mind that even if you go with a Zone 2 AVR you'll still need to run speaker wires out to the speakers as wireless speakers generally don't perform well outdoors. Also note that the 1713 has XT and Airplay although would need an external amp for Zone 2.

I understand that and the plan was to run speaker wires from the receiver to the deck. Also, note that I mentioned the 1712, not the 1713 because of the expected clearance deals with the new line.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Understood .. just wanted to point out that networking had moved down to the 1713 (and 1613 as well) either of which would then allow you to control the AVR from a smart phone while sitting on your deck.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Understood .. just wanted to point out that networking had moved down to the 1713 (and 1613 as well) either of which would then allow you to control the AVR from a smart phone while sitting on your deck.

I might as well go with the added flexiblity of a 7.1 AVR plus the additional 3rd year of warranty with the 2113ci.

Back to my main point, I can't believe that no one else has had the same dilemma or can give some advice.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you mean "Altec Lansing" instead of Logitech? I can't find a Logitech IMT620.

Your list of pros and cons, plus jdsmoothie's reply sums it up pretty good. I thought about hooking up speakers above my deck, but for the amout of time I'll use them, it's not worth it. If you're out there often, it's a better, more convenient solution, albeit at a higher cost.

It's your money to spend or not, so it's really up to you. If you were to ask: "I have decided I want to hook up speakers to the back of my house, how do I do it and what should I use for my budget of $xx?", then I think you'd find this forum a great place to find people willing to help.

Cablevision - Explorer 8300HD- SARA
Western Digital 250 gb (WD2500KS)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page