Blown Amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was running some speaker cable above my paneled ceiling. when I finally finished and connected my surrounds i went into my avr's setup to test the channel levels. whenever i get to the RS channel the receiver shuts down and blinks red. all other channels work fine. does that mean the amp for the RS is blown? will I need to buy a new AVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
One way to find out: disconnect that speaker wire. If everything works OK, connect a different speaker to that connector or run a new wire to the RS speaker. You can just drape the new wire across the floor, or whatever as a temporary test. Most AVRs will either shut down a channel with a shorted wire or go into total shutdown. They will return to normal when the short is removed (and sometimes after a power reset).

Be seeing you!
post #3 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Check your speaker wires carefully and make sure you don't have a loose strand creating a short.

It's possible the amp has a problem, but rule out the wiring first.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
OK good thing I had spare speakers lying around from the surround backs I removed from my back wall. I proceeded to test the SR connection with another speaker and the same thing happened. Changed the connection end of the receiver end and connected the SR run cable to the SL avr connection same thing happened. So I determined it was indeed the SR cable I run. I opened up the wall plate for all my surround cable terminate, and ends up the +/- wires were slightly touch on the wall plate, corrected that works fine, whew! I'm pretty impulsive, in years pass I would have sooner just ordered a new AVR on assumption rather than taking my time to check everything out lol. Thanks guys.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page