Help: Sony STR-DN1020 keeps switching to wrong input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Background: I have a tivo, bluray, and htpc all running thru my AVR on hdmi standby auto passthru. One hdmi to tv for all of them. I also have an optical out of my tv back to the AVR, for smart tv features. The tivo is hooked to the CATV input on the AVR, and the optical from the tv is on TV input.

The problem I'm having is that often (always?) say I'm watching tv with the AVR on standby. If I turn the AVR on, it will switch to the TV input on the AVR when I just want it to stay right where it is on CATV. I do have the HDMI-CEC features turned on, but I don't want to turn that off. I'd reassign the CATV input (input 3) to the TV input but I can't since it doesn't have an HDMI port, just the optical. I've tried disconnecting the optical but that doesn't help. What is up? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Disabling HDMI CEC on your TV or receiver is likely the only solution to your problem. Many TVs have any annoying habit of telling receivers to switch to the TV input when you don't want them to.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK thanks, that's kinda what I was afraid of. So do people just put up with this? Or do most people just not use the HDMI CEC features? Seems like a waste of effort to implement if it's not even going to work.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I think most people simply don't use HDMI CEC. It's great when it does exactly what you want it to do, but it usually ends up causing fustration for most people. It really needs more fine grained user control, but most devices only support it being fully on or fully off.

I have HDMI CEC enabled on my PlayStation 3 and my TV, but not my receiver. This allows my TV to turn on automatically when I turn on my PS3 at least. It doesn't do anything more than that, but when I enable it on my receiver as well it ends up doing a lot of things I wish it wouldn't.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

So do people just put up with this? Or do most people just not use the HDMI CEC features? Seems like a waste of effort to implement if it's not even going to work.

Hi sievers, turn off HDMI-CEC and get a Harmony remote (great WAF).
post #6 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks I have 2 and love them. A change to my configuration and lifestyle has prompted me to prefer to have the ability to use either my amp OR tv speakers, depending on who is watching or what is being watched. HDMI CEC allows me to avoid having to duplicate every activity (one put together with the amp on, using amp for volume, and one with amp off, using tv for volume) because if I turn the amp on, it will forward volume commands sent to the tv to the amp. So I just have one activity that can handle both cases, HDMI CEC will decide where the volume commands go, which I really like, didn't like using extra activities for almost the same task.

Anyway, I found that I could connect another optical cable from the tivo to the TV input on the amp, and moved the optical cable that was going to the tv input to another one. This way, whether the amp is on CATV (HDMI) or TV (optical), I'll get the sound I want. I had been avoiding this move before because I had an htpc hooked there (CATV) before and didn't want to use optical at all, but now that's on another input and I don't think the tivo can put out a signal that is too fat for the optical to handle, like the HTPC can.

Ironically, now that I've done all this, after testing it a few times, the TV input is not getting annoyingly switched to anymore. Still scratching my head on that one but whatever, it's working now, I'm not touching it!
post #7 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

Background: I have a tivo, bluray, and htpc all running thru my AVR on hdmi standby auto passthru. One hdmi to tv for all of them. I also have an optical out of my tv back to the AVR, for smart tv features. The tivo is hooked to the CATV input on the AVR, and the optical from the tv is on TV input.

The problem I'm having is that often (always?) say I'm watching tv with the AVR on standby. If I turn the AVR on, it will switch to the TV input on the AVR when I just want it to stay right where it is on CATV. I do have the HDMI-CEC features turned on, but I don't want to turn that off. I'd reassign the CATV input (input 3) to the TV input but I can't since it doesn't have an HDMI port, just the optical. I've tried disconnecting the optical but that doesn't help. What is up? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Yep, my new Denon AVR-2312ci was doing the same exact thing. Funny I just found your post. I tried everything before realizing it was the HDMI control. I really hate this but HDMI pass-through does not work without this function enabled and the wife uses that. When I get time to educate her on how to use the system, I'm going to disable HDMI control with the ARC function that goes off with it as well, add an optical digital cable from the TV for Smart TV sound, and say screw the pass-through.

That switching is driving me nuts as well. Every time it goes to the TV input when I switch the TV off, then on. This HDMI control seems to be more trouble than useful.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2012, 03:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
^^
This is covered in item 12(e) in the Denon Troubleshooting guide linked in my sig:

AVR switches to TV source when first turned ON: This occurs because you have the HDMI-CEC/ARC feature on your TV set to ON as well as HDMI Control on the AVR set to ON. There are several work arounds to prevent this from happening depending on whether you want to pass audio from the TV back to the AVR: 1. Only set ARC to ON when you want to actually use that feature, or 2. Connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and don't use the ARC feature which will result in the same level of audio quality; or don't want to pass audio back to the AVR, but do want to use the HDMI Control feature to turn the TV ON/OFF with the AVR: 1. Use the Source Delete feature to delete the TV source, or 2. If using a universal/programmable remote, insert a long delay (eg. 10 secs) after the AVR is turned ON, and then program the remote to select the source device you want to use.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 13 Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 10
Right, CEC is supposed to make things easier but sometimes you just have to turn it off...
post #10 of 13 Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
This is covered in item 12(e) in the Denon Troubleshooting guide linked in my sig:

AVR switches to TV source when first turned ON: This occurs because you have the HDMI-CEC/ARC feature on your TV set to ON as well as HDMI Control on the AVR set to ON. There are several work arounds to prevent this from happening depending on whether you want to pass audio from the TV back to the AVR: 1. Only set ARC to ON when you want to actually use that feature, or 2. Connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and don't use the ARC feature which will result in the same level of audio quality; or don't want to pass audio back to the AVR, but do want to use the HDMI Control feature to turn the TV ON/OFF with the AVR: 1. Use the Source Delete feature to delete the TV source, or 2. If using a universal/programmable remote, insert a long delay (eg. 10 secs) after the AVR is turned ON, and then program the remote to select the source device you want to use.

Thanks, but I do want to use ARC, and Pass Through and neither of these will work without the control set to ON. But to rid myself of frustration, I'll stop useing these features.

I know how to bypass it but I also want to use the ARC function to do away with extra cabling.

The ARC control is not complete so it causes more trouble than worth. I don't want to control the equipment, just use the ARC and pass through features.

Thanks for the suggestion.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-26-2013, 03:23 PM

I have a Samsung TV and eventually found that the HDMI-CEC control is called Anynet+. Go to the Menu/Applications/Anynet+ and under Setup select Anynet+ to Off.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM

I am sorry to belabor the point but I need a little more basic info. I replaced my Onkyo receiver with a Sony str-dn840. The rest of my set up is the same: DVR to PVR, Bluray to BD, DVD to DVD all via HDMI. Then out to Sharp TV via HDMI. I thought all i needed to delete my Onkyo and replace it with the Sony in my Logitech 700. Here is the problem, in the past since there is only one input to the TV (6), all of the activities include the TV on Input 6. What happens now is everything powers up fine, but the TV switches to Input 4 on its own. I hear a click from the receiver just before. I don't think it's the remote since when I use the help button on the remote, it switches to 6 as it should. So, is this the HDMI-CEC people are talking about?
post #13 of 13 Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Not saying I'm right or wrong or that your right or wrong, everyone's gear is a little different. I have an xbox360, Playstation 4,and a hd cable box all hdmi to the TV. Then the TV is tosh link called to the receiver. I also have the ps4 (my blu ray player) tosh linked to the receiver. Reason for that is the TV tries to do its own sound decoding and will not pass through the raw adio.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1020 3d Blu Ray Disc A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Dn1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page