Onkyo 5009 too Bright with Klipsch ! HELP ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 121 Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got An Onkyo Tx-NR 5009 . It's amazing in every way , only paid $1950 with tax and shipping , but it's too Bright . What can I do to help this ? Please give some ideas ...... Do I send it back, but it was cheap and the video and options are Great . Should I add an Amp just for the front sound stage ? Can I do the Fronts with an Amp and the surrounds with the receiver ? What's a good choice , please Help ...... Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What Klipsch you have.
post #3 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you run Audyssy? If so make some manual adjustments to tone & treble.
post #4 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 04:51 AM

Liked: 42
I think Klipsch tend to be on the bright side and Onkyos house sound is too. This could be a bad combination depending on a person's tastes.

I second the Audyysey question.
post #5 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yes did the Audyssy and my EQing is better .... Might add A Marantz MM7055 to it ... What do you guys think ?
post #6 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Ok I guess. Do you need more power?
I have the Onkyo 3009 & I am running a 9.2 system (Paradigm speakers) & I have all the power I need. But my room is only 14 by 17 with 8ft ceiling.
post #7 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Could be the amp section is not good.
I had the hk avr 2600 and it too sounded a bit bright. Got another one and everything is perfect. I also bypass tone controls btw.
post #8 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 AM

Liked: 42
Here's a review that includes the Marantz amp. The bench tests reveal the amp can only do 107 watts per channel with all channels driven (to .1% THD). This suggests the amp is no better than an AVR's amp section. It might do better with 4 ohm speakers though.

I recently bought an Outlaw Audio amp, the 7125. It can beat its rating of 125 wpc and was noticeably better in the bass performance over my Onkyo TX SR876, and the sound stage was improved too. But there are many good amp companies, it's just that they usually cost a lot more.
post #9 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 AM

You still haven't said which model you have and your room size
( It's like asking my car wont start sometimes ( Need to know what car it is!)
post #10 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 AM

^^^^
He said 5009.
post #11 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I would strongly recommend that you get some different speakers; the problem is the speakers, not the the receiver. you don't need another amplifier.

You need some decent-sounding speakers.

Spend $1300 on a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, and you will have sound you will absolutely love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheater1010 View Post

Just got An Onkyo Tx-NR 5009 . It's amazing in every way , only paid $1950 with tax and shipping , but it's too Bright . What can I do to help this ? Please give some ideas ...... Do I send it back, but it was cheap and the video and options are Great . Should I add an Amp just for the front sound stage ? Can I do the Fronts with an Amp and the surrounds with the receiver ? What's a good choice , please Help ...... Thx

post #12 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Before the Onkyo, what receiver were you running with the Klipschs? Was it still bright or no?

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I would strongly recommend that you get some different speakers; the problem is the speakers, not the the receiver. you don't need another amplifier.

You need some decent-sounding speakers.

Spend $1300 on a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, and you will have sound you will absolutely love.

I see we have a klipsch hater in the building.

Turn it up!
post #14 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

I see we have a klipsch hater in the building.

Wouldn't call it hate, just depends what model, the brand has many different models. However, I don't like their bookshelves' sound, too bright.

post #15 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I know my RF-82II sounds great with 2.0,2.1 and 5.1 with a Onkyo 809. Just saying.
post #16 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Was wondering where you got the 5009 for $1950????? Curios!!!!
Thanks
post #17 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry guys .... I have RF-7 II and RC-64ii up front , RS-62 II surrounds .... G-28's for Back Surrounds , great idea ...... Duel Subwoofers ,,, Velodyne Optimum 12 upfront and Rw-10d in the back .... It sounded amazing with A Onkyo 875 ..... Now with the 5009 ,,, it's way too Bright ... I toned it down a little but still sucks .... Is it ok for RCA to a Separate Amp or send it back ... Money is not n issue ... Again $1950 for the 5009 was a steal .... If anyone needs one I can get another one for $2100 with tax and shipping brand new ... Thx I really need help please !
post #18 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe room treatments are a consideration too. You can use another amp but I don't think it will sound a lot different but you won't know until you try, just like with the new avr. Personally I think it's your speakers...but that sure is a nice price on the Onkyo. Curious, this is bright across the board, all dsp's and volume levels?

post #19 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I ran an older Onkyo with my Klipsch Forte II's and they were VERY bright. Switched to Paradigm and no brightness. As stated above, Klispch speakers are bright compared.

Jeff
post #20 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Can't be the speakers, it was perfect with my old Onkyo ... My Klipsch are amazing speakers
post #21 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

That was none of the ideas I said ....just spent like $8000 on speakers , you tell me to get new speakers.... Lol I need a little help ... Those speakers are not better then Klipsch Speakers ... Thx anyway
post #22 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Not the Onkyo and that is a great set of speakers not going to be the RF-7II either.
post #23 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM

That onkyo has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, have you run it correctly, and then tested it on vs off? That should have fixed any brightness problems, and made things sound how they are supposed to. How do you have things setup currently, like crossovers and such?

It could be quite a few different things, maybe the new receiver isn't working properly, or the old receiver wasn't working properly and you were used to that sound. Maybe there is a setting that isn't setup correctly. Have you reset the processor?
post #24 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can't be the speakers, it was perfect with my old Onkyo ... My Klipsch are amazing speakers

Then maybe it's in your setup somehow. You're sure everything is well connected, good connectors, in phase, etc? Or your new AVR is showing some of the faults of the Klipsch speaker design to your ears. Things change, too...maybe you just need more quality time with the new AVR. The amount of money you throw at it only means so much, I have far less in my system and it sounds amazing (with an Onkyo AVR, the HTRC370) although I do use separate amps for the L/C/R. With the efficiency of the Klipsch (assume yours are the usual fairly efficient speaker most Klipsch are) I wouldn't think you'd be getting any more headroom with a separate amp. What amp are you thinking of hooking up to it? 3 channel? more?

post #25 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ran Audyessy and my EQing sounds better.... I'm a Master Electrician so I hook up everything perfect , using #12 wire for speakers. It's sounds amazing but too Bright .. Thinking about Marantz, Nad or emotive amp for the fronts to make it A warmer sound ! I have a good ear .... Trust me it's way too Bright !
post #26 of 121 Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM

You can try a Re-Equalization circuit that THX has, it might tame down the treble. Also, you could use the tone controls.

After all the hype about Audyssey, I found that it won't work correctly in my system and puts incorrect levels (obviously off), Incorrect crossovers, and incorrect subwoofer polarity. I finally gave up on it. I ran it once and posted a thread about my terrible results only to be attacked and harrassed so the thread was closed immediately. I tried it a different time follow suggestions I found on the Audyssey thread. Things were a bit better but levels were very obviously off, as were everything else. It really sucked and sounded so digitized or harsh or compressed, you can label it any of these.

I bypassed audyssey, setup everything manually and boy is it singing just like my older Denon AVR-3803 that didn't come with this crap.

Also make sure you disable Dynamic EQ as it will make everything sound bright with over treble. Made sound so bad, I thought I had a crappy DSP engaged.

I don't know how Onkyo is but Denon makes it very hard to disengage Audyssey. There is no global disengagement. You have to go to every input and shut it off and it's a pain through the multiple menu levels.

My living room is setup like everyone else I know and many have their surround speakers in the same place except attached to the walls instead of on stands.

Many put the center speaker on the floor (as it is even in the Denon GUI display of the speakers!) since they have larger center speakers as I.

The only determental placement is the subwoofer since it's about 1' from the right side surround speaker, in the rear of the room, and only 3' from the main listening position. However this was the only place it would fit with any type of sound quality. I do have to put it at 180 degrees out of phase to keep standing waves from entering the listening area. It also delocalizes the subwoofer and tightens it up, taking away the upper bass boom and extending the lower bass out. Without it, it's disconnected from the main speakers and is very VERY localized. Audyssey didn't help with it at all. No matter, the 2312 sounds awesome without it.

So I think you are running into 2 problems, an inherent bright speaker with a neutral sounding receiver, then the addition of bright sound that the Audyssey Dynamic EQ will add.

Perhaps some poteniometers on the horn tweeters will lessen their output and tone down the treble, along with turning Audyssey off.

I calibrate instruments for a living so when calibrations aren't done correctly, it bothers me especially when I hand calibrated the same speaker system with great results.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 121 Old 05-20-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Ran Audyessy and my EQing sounds better.... I'm a Master Electrician so I hook up everything perfect , using #12 wire for speakers. It's sounds amazing but too Bright .. Thinking about Marantz, Nad or emotive amp for the fronts to make it A warmer sound ! I have a good ear .... Trust me it's way too Bright !

This will not fix the brightness. Klipsch are known to be bright speakers. Always audition countless speakers before taking the plunge.
post #28 of 121 Old 05-20-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

What about adding an Emotiva amp to make it sound Warmer ?
post #29 of 121 Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Did you try a processor reset?

What didn't you like about the sound after you ran audyssey? Which EQ are you using?

What are crossovers set to? Is Audyssey set to flat, audyssey,....? Dynamic EQ?... There are lots of settings that might cause or fix the brightness.
post #30 of 121 Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about adding an Emotiva amp to make it sound Warmer ?

That might help but it is hard to say. I think they have a 30 day return policy, it might be worth a try.

Klipsch are inherently bright speakers, but if you feel they are alot brighter then they should be, try exchanging your 5009 for another one.

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of your speaker placement. That could effect the sound and have issues with Audyssey. That is one of the main reasons OldSchoolMetal has issues with Audyssey, very bad speaker placement.

If you bought the Klipsch at a store near you, go in a listen to them with different receivers and see if you can find one that suits your ears better.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page