Is there any 300W/Ch 7.1 AVR out there? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Worst heat producing rx I owned was the rxv2700. Painful to touch top. But that was likely due to the heat the video related chips generated. I believe they got cooler after that, like my z7. My crown Amo, and Emo amp are cool to the touch.

My TiVo, ps3 and tv are probably the worst offenders for heat.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by network23 View Post

Room is 27 x 37 with 16' ceilings

So far I've been using Polk SDA CRS, 2 pair wired in series (8ohms total) I had them run in parallel but the amp would not keep up. Changing them to series solved the problem with overheating/shut down, but seriously effected the vol.

Also have the polk center channel speaker and polk surround (2 sets)

This is an easy one, clearly your CRS's are a tough load. You have a lot in your favor though, a wide room and a good budget. You have options.

1) You could replace the CRS's with a pair of RTI-A9's. Get whatever receiver floats your boat.

2) If you would rather keep both pairs of CRS, I highly recommend you do get a DSX-Wide capable receiver and a decent 5 channel amp like the Emotiva XPA-5. You could get an Onkyo TX-NR1009 and run all the surrounds off the onkyo, then run the mains (CRS), center and wides (CRS) off of the Emotiva XPA-5.

++++++
I'm assuming in my answers that the "polk surrounds" are 8 ohm and not 4 ohm speakers and that you have four of them for S/SB. The 1009 would run 4 ohm surrounds in theory. "whatever receiver that floats your boat", may not.
post #33 of 44 Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by network23 View Post

20 amp circuits have a special plug:

You can read more here: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pro.../PP2200SW.html

It's a high current plug.

What you are thinking of is a 20 amp breaker protecting a circuit with standard 15amp recepticables. But if you really have one device potentially pulling 20 amps all by itself, it'll have a special plug and hence special receptical to plug it into.

no, i am not thinking anything of the sort...

i am fully aware of 20 amp "plugs"... they are "standard", there's nothing "special" about them...

hint: i have 3 dedicated 20 amp lines in use in my theater... locking 20 amp receptacles/plugs on my subs... a 20 amp server grade power strip for some other stuff... etc.

iow, i have a clue about what i'm talking about...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #34 of 44 Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
If you really want to run high powered amps, you might want to discuss it with your local electrical company. An industrial feed with 30 amp circuits might be appropriate.

Personally I'd get more efficient speakers instead, but that's just me.

Selden
post #35 of 44 Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

no, i am not thinking anything of the sort...

i am fully aware of 20 amp "plugs"... they are "standard", there's nothing "special" about them...

hint: i have 3 dedicated 20 amp lines in use in my theater... locking 20 amp receptacles/plugs on my subs... a 20 amp server grade power strip for some other stuff... etc.

I suspect that the high current plugs mentioned above would be compatible with this bog standard standard 20 amp outlet. But due to this design, you can also plug in anything else.

20 amp plug:

post #36 of 44 Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey OP, just get you 7 of these: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...roductId=MC2KW

More power than you'll ever need.
post #37 of 44 Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm sure you do.
post #38 of 44 Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

1) You could replace the CRS's with a pair of RTI-A9's. Get whatever receiver floats your boat.

AHHHH! Replace my CRS? Perish the thought!

But actually I've always wanted to try Maggies. But they will make the situation worse, not better. I have 2 pair of RTA8 I could use also. But I have a plan. (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

2) If you would rather keep both pairs of CRS,

++++++
I'm assuming in my answers that the "polk surrounds" are 8 ohm and not 4 ohm speakers and that you have four of them for S/SB. The 1009 would run 4 ohm surrounds in theory. "whatever receiver that floats your boat", may not.

Yes the FXi3 are 8 ohm. (2 pair)

I'm going to try to keep the CRS.

My plan: I bought a Yamaha P5000S tonight. I'm going to put it on the CRS and let the receiver handle the surrounds, center channel and the sub is powered (but way underpowered and way too small). If I like the sound of the P5000S, I'll buy 2 more P5000S for the surrounds, a much bigger sub, and leave the reciever on the center channel. But that will likely have to wait some time.

Thanks to everyone here for he help. I'll post a pic or two when it's all done.
post #39 of 44 Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Hey OP, just get you 7 of these: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...roductId=MC2KW

More power than you'll ever need.

I'm sure they would bust my budget.
post #40 of 44 Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It sounds like you're using a freight train to crack a walnut.

Why do you:

(1) have the two pairs of the speakers wired in series instead of running them off of separate amplifier channels?

(2) insist on using 25 year old technology and materials?

(3) think that more power will solve your problem (more power may simply drive the aged mechanical components of the Polks into breakup)?

As large as your space is my approach would be:

(1) get new (OK, 5 years old or newer) high efficiency speakers with high output capability, at least for the mains

(2) buy a high performance sub (or two) and cross it over at 80 Hz to take a big load off of the AVR's PAs (if you're not using one already)
post #41 of 44 Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

It sounds like you're using a freight train to crack a walnut.

You would not be the first to make that observation. It's kind of my MO.

Quote:

Why do you:

(1) have the two pairs of the speakers wired in series instead of running them off of separate amplifier channels?

I only had 7 powered channels. 2 mains, 2 surround, 2 rear surround and 1 center, plus a sub. There were no more channels in the amp.

Quote:

(2) insist on using 25 year old technology and materials?

Newer is not always better. I'm very fond of my Polk SDAs and there is a method to my madness.

Quote:

(3) think that more power will solve your problem (more power may simply drive the aged mechanical components of the Polks into breakup)?

More power is always the solution. Just ask Tim Allen.

But seriously volume requires power. Just no away around it. I'm going from a 700 ft^3 living room to a 16,000^3 living room. To get the same volume is going to require a lot more power.

Quote:

As large as your space is my approach would be:

(1) get new (OK, 5 years old or newer) high efficiency speakers with high output capability, at least for the mains

(2) buy a high performance sub (or two) and cross it over at 80 Hz to take a big load off of the AVR's PAs (if you're not using one already)

Yes, that's half of what I'm doing. But high efficiency does not always equate to the best sound. (In fact in my experience is it rarely does.) I already have a sub, but it's totally inadequate for my situation. I'll be adding 2 new subs for the bass, and a lot more power.

Thanks everyone.
post #42 of 44 Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You won't find any AVR that will put out that kind of power < $1000, rather if you feel you need that kind of power simply connect a 300W external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2) to the main zone preouts on the 650.

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for your advice.

I bought a Yamaha P5000S and so far I'm very happy with it. I'll buy more to power the rest of the system and just use the internal power amp in the 650 to run the presence speakers and maybe the center channel. It's been a perfect solution. Gives me the power I want on the the budget I have and I can even do it a little at a time instead of one big purchase.
post #43 of 44 Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
wow... a 16,000 cubic foot living room.... that's like 8 times the size of my room... dang... i'm envious...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #44 of 44 Old 05-26-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

wow... a 16,000 cubic foot living room.... that's like 8 times the size of my room... dang... i'm envious...

It took 21 years, 3 false starts, countless "oopses" and a pigheaded stubbornness not to quit to make the dream come true.

Put another way, it's been a long and interesting road.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page