Help...lost my TV Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why can I not get audio while watching TV using an HDMI cable? I have an HDMI cable from comcast box into a Denon AVR 1612 amp. I have video but no audio.

I can get audio if I use the RCA plug type of connector - the white red yellow plugs. By doing this I cannot get my rear speakers to play.

Any idea as to what the heck is going on? I had the HDMI cable checked and it is fine. I replaced the comcast box and that didn't fix the problem...Could it be the amp? It was working fine for about 6 months, and our of the blue, while changing channels I lost the audio.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2000 View Post

Why can I not get audio while watching TV using an HDMI cable? I have an HDMI cable from comcast box into a Denon AVR 1612 amp. I have video but no audio.

I can get audio if I use the RCA plug type of connector - the white red yellow plugs. By doing this I cannot get my rear speakers to play.

Any idea as to what the heck is going on? I had the HDMI cable checked and it is fine. I replaced the comcast box and that didn't fix the problem...Could it be the amp? It was working fine for about 6 months, and our of the blue, while changing channels I lost the audio.

Any ideas?

First connect cable box directly to the tv and see if you have audio, then swap HDMI cables most likely it will be one or the other. If that still doesn't work then you'll have to rule out either the TV or the Receiver do you have any other devices feeding through the AVR? Do the still work? Swap HDMI cables around, you'll soon know what the problem is. 90% chance it's the cable box IMHO.
Good Luck,.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Sounds like a settings issue to me. Press the MENU button on your Denon remote. Select Input Setup, then Input Mode and make sure the Input mode is set to Auto or HDMI. Sounds like it is currently set to Analog.

Then make sure the Decode mode is set to Auto.

Afro GT
post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Welcome to AVS Forum.

As was the case with your previous thread, it's best to be more specific in your thread title when posting. I would agree your issue is more likely settings related. Also note that even with a stereo red/white cable connection you can still get simulated 5.1/7.1 audio by selecting DD PLII/PLIIx.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

afrogt nailed it. Thank you so much!

I do have one more issue that maybe you could help me with..

When I power up my system - the amp defaults to the last used input which is usually 'sat/cable' which is cool. But, after about 5 seconds it always switches to 'TV' and I have to switch it back to 'sat/cable'.

Any tips as to what is going on and how I can keep it switched to sat/cable?

Thank you again!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2000 View Post

When I power up my system - the amp defaults to the last used input which is usually 'sat/cable' which is cool. But, after about 5 seconds it always switches to 'TV' and I have to switch it back to 'sat/cable'.

Any tips as to what is going on and how I can keep it switched to sat/cable?

Thank you again!

Hi thomas2000, most likely your tv is taking control (HDMI CEC feature). Turn off this feature on your tv, some trade names: Samsung - AnyNet+, Panasonic - Viera Link, Sony - Bravia Sync, etc....
post #7 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey...me again. this issue continues to be a pain in my butt. everytime I turn on the TV and the amp the TV moves the input to 'TV' when I would like it to stay on 'Sat/CAble'. When I do turn off Anynet+ I can't get audio through my amp.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
It's either/or .. you can't have both. Instead of using ARC, set Anynet+ to OFF and simply connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR instead with no loss of audio quality. Although I've written the below post for Denon models, most of it applies to any brand.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread#user_E5

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page