Help me choose a receiver! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. Looooong time reader here. I joined almost 6 years ago but this is my second post. LOL. I know there are lots of threads like these, but given prices and receiver models change all the time I'm hoping the knowledgeable people here can give me an up-to-date perspective on the best receiver for me!

I'm creating my first home theater... I don't have a huge budget, but there's no way I'd go for a HTIB. So I've separately purchased the Energy Take5 classic speakers, a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a 65" Panasonic Plasma (trying to decide whether to get a 2011 or 2012 model).

My question here is about the reciever. I'd like to keep the cost to under $450...and lower is better if there is a good value to be had. I've been doing some research (on here and other sites) and have narrowed it down to the below:

Denon 1713 ($410 - $450)
Pioneer VSK-1022 ($299 at Newegg)
Pioneer Elite VSK-51 ($399)

There are several other models I was also looking at (including an Onkyo) but I can't recall the model numbers as I type this.

I don't plan to do anything over a 5.1 setup. I don't need 8 HDMI inputs - I should be good with 6. Component connectivity is nice, but not a deal-breaker. Other than sound quality, internet connectivity is important although I'm not Apple guy... I've got a laptop with bluetooth and an Android smartphone - both store my music collection. Perhaps an iPad is in my future, but nothing firm right now. I've got wireless running through the house, but I could probably get an ethernet cable down to my home theater room.

Any advice? I was leaning towards the 1713, but it's at the top of my price range. I know I could get a 2011 model and save some cash, but I don't plan to buy anothe receiver for many years so I want to be sure I have the latest features that will still hopefully suffice 5 years from now.

Thanks everyone - happy Monday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Saw a 2312 on sale for $500 this weekend... deals happen if you know where to look. The Pioneer options should be fine as well. I don't like MCAAC as much as Audyssey but otherwise they should be just as good as a Denon.

Are you using any sources that do NOT have HDMI? If not, then you shouldn't need analog-to-HDMI transcoding which makes your options easier than if you did.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
A refurbed Onkyo 709 would do what you want. And stay inside the budget.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladwish View Post

Hi everyone. Looooong time reader here. I joined almost 6 years ago but this is my second post. LOL. I know there are lots of threads like these, but given prices and receiver models change all the time I'm hoping the knowledgeable people here can give me an up-to-date perspective on the best receiver for me!

I'm creating my first home theater... I don't have a huge budget, but there's no way I'd go for a HTIB. So I've separately purchased the Energy Take5 classic speakers, a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a 65" Panasonic Plasma (trying to decide whether to get a 2011 or 2012 model).

My question here is about the reciever. I'd like to keep the cost to under $450...and lower is better if there is a good value to be had. I've been doing some research (on here and other sites) and have narrowed it down to the below:

Denon 1713 ($410 - $450)
Pioneer VSK-1022 ($299 at Newegg)
Pioneer Elite VSK-51 ($399)

There are several other models I was also looking at (including an Onkyo) but I can't recall the model numbers as I type this.

I don't plan to do anything over a 5.1 setup. I don't need 8 HDMI inputs - I should be good with 6. Component connectivity is nice, but not a deal-breaker. Other than sound quality, internet connectivity is important although I'm not Apple guy... I've got a laptop with bluetooth and an Android smartphone - both store my music collection. Perhaps an iPad is in my future, but nothing firm right now. I've got wireless running through the house, but I could probably get an ethernet cable down to my home theater room.

Any advice? I was leaning towards the 1713, but it's at the top of my price range. I know I could get a 2011 model and save some cash, but I don't plan to buy anothe receiver for many years so I want to be sure I have the latest features that will still hopefully suffice 5 years from now.

Thanks everyone - happy Monday!

Last years models from online and B&M retailers are good.

What part of the country do you live in?
post #5 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

Last years models from online and B&M retailers are good.

What part of the country do you live in?

I'm actually in Canada, but lots of family in NY and PA. So I can get stuff shipped there without issue.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Saw a 2312 on sale for $500 this weekend... deals happen if you know where to look. The Pioneer options should be fine as well. I don't like MCAAC as much as Audyssey but otherwise they should be just as good as a Denon.

Are you using any sources that do NOT have HDMI? If not, then you shouldn't need analog-to-HDMI transcoding which makes your options easier than if you did.

Thanks - I've been keeping my eyes open for deals, but hadn't seen the deal on the 2312. A little over my budget, but still worth looking at.

The only non HDMI source would be a Wii, although it's only being played by my 3 year old these days. So ideally there would be a way to connect the Wii to the TV through the receiver, although PQ isn't a top priority there.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

A refurbed Onkyo 709 would do what you want. And stay inside the budget.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't seen that deal. How would the 709 stack up against, let's say, the Denon 1713? The Denon is a 2012 model whereas the Onkyo is a 2011 model. I'll have to take a closer look at the specs and connectivity.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All.... I just noticed that A4L has the Denon 1912 (refurb) for $319 + $23 shipping. All in it's less than $350 for the 1912. A brand new 1713 is a minimum $410 shipped. Which do you think is a better deal? Has anyone had any problems with a Denon refub? Returning the unit to A4L would be an expensive hassle in a worst case scenario.

Thanks for any additional suggestions or advice!
post #9 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

With the Wii in the equation, look for a receiver that does analog-to-HDMI upconversion, or else you will need to run both HDMI and component video cables from the receiver to the set (and you will need to switch inputs on both the receiver and the set - though a Harmony remote could make that easy). Or you could run the Wii video to the TV directly and the audio to the receiver, but you'd still need to switch sources on both components to use it.

A Denon 1912 does do upconversion, but do not go lower than that (e.g. 1712 and yes, the 1713 also does not have it) if you care about that.

I'd take the 1912 over a 1713.

-Dan D.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

With the Wii in the equation, look for a receiver that does analog-to-HDMI upconversion, or else you will need to run both HDMI and component video cables from the receiver to the set (and you will need to switch inputs on both the receiver and the set - though a Harmony remote could make that easy). Or you could run the Wii video to the TV directly and the audio to the receiver, but you'd still need to switch sources on both components to use it.

A Denon 1912 does do upconversion, but do not go lower than that (e.g. 1712 and yes, the 1713 also does not have it) if you care about that.

I'd take the 1912 over a 1713.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually also saw that A4L and eCost have the 2112 for just a little more than the 1912. Given the significant benefits of the 2112 over the 1912 I'm leaning towards the 2112. Still within my budget.

Does anyone have any experience with refurb units through A4L or eCost?
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure about eCost but A4L is reputable.

-Dan D.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page