AVS Forum banner

New Denons, features getting less and less.

4K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  johnson636 
#1 ·
I currently owned a Denon AVR-2310ci and over time I have grown to love it more and more. It's also probably one of the last great ones Denon had produced because it came with a Phono Input, Optical Output for digital recordings and two AC outlets for connecting extra components, not to mentioned an array of analog audio inputs. I received news from Denon through e-mail and saw that they had rolled out a series of newer models (the newer '13') and I am most disappointed to find out that Denon had dropped even more features this year. With the exception of the higher 3313 model, two important features were omitted on the 2313, 2113 and other subsequent lower-end models:

1.) AM tuner,

2.) the trademark Denon 'input/output speaker indicators' which all disappeared!

I guess you can kiss your AM news radio goodbye! The 3313ci still seem to withheld the 'output speaker channels' on the panel but still missing the original 'input' source. These newer ones are in the dark, which means you would not know (visually) what the sources are; whether they were originally produced in Dolby 2.0, 2.1 or 5.1 because of the absence of output channel indicators. I know this might sound a bit silly and although after all it is a 'receiver', how can anyone not know what they're hearing? I can assure you that if the original source was Dolby 2.1 instead of 2.0 you wouldn't know the difference unless it is being displayed. This is more than just a stereo system and its main purpose is to decode audio for video.

Examples:

On my AVR-2310ci...

on the new 3313ci: only one output indicator...

Completely omitted on the new 2313ci.

See less See more
#27 ·
^^^

somehow, i don't find "talk radio" to be a "sound quality" application...

#28 ·
fortunately for all who are complaining, you have other options... there would appear to be the features you are looking for on avr's made by other cem's...

so you are in luck...

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/22050293

of course, it is always possible that denon HAS done their market research, and you guys are outliers...

Come on, Chris, get with the program. Where is your righteous indignation? If I need it, then EVERYONE needs it. And anyone who is willing to live without it is not the power user that I am.

AJ

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar36 /forum/post/22050771

Internet talk radio (like Bloomberg radio or KYW for the NJ folk) sounds like crap compared to regular AM radio let alone HD AM radio.

If the streaming data rate is something around 32kbps like many talk shows use, yes, it will sound lousy. That's the fault of the broadcaster though i.e. being a cheapskate, not the format itself.

That reminds me: many (most?) A/V receivers now include networking capability which usually includes the ability to stream internet radio stations, including all those independent & internet-only stations - many of which are non-profit - that exist all around the world. So get ready to spend hours discovering them with your remote!

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/22051259

Come on, Chris, get with the program. Where is your righteous indignation? If I need it, then EVERYONE needs it. And anyone who is willing to live without it is not the power user that I am.

AJ

yea aj, i know... i really need to gripe more...

got any buggy whips?

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/22050293

of course, it is always possible that denon HAS done their market research, and you guys are outliers...

just something to consider...

I can't see considerable savings using a non am tuner over a fm. IF denon did indeed do any market research, they would find people at least in ca like am radio. However, I do not tune into any analog ota programming in my house. I either stream siriusxm ir or play media from my library.

I just don't see a lot of people sitting at home jamming to fm/am on home receivers these days. It still doesn't make sense to just omit the am tuner lol.

I'll reserve my judgement on Denon when I see the legit specs on their top tier stuff. I don't think the low end market avr should be packed with a whole lot of features anyhow (below $500).

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK /forum/post/22048348

Website shows the 3313 at 26.5#, 2313 at 24# and the 2113 at 20.9#. My current receiver is 64#. They just may have reduced the power supply some more! ;-) I sure do like the new design from the pictures.

This is not really anything new. The 2308 was 28lbs and then it dropped every year till the 2311. The 2311 thru 2313 have all been around 24lbs. Same with the 33 series. The 3310 was 28 and then the 3311 dropped to 26 and they have been 26 ever since.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk /forum/post/0

Oh, I would absolutely drool if I could get Rush Limbaugh in 7.1 surround sound!!

struggling to refrain from commenting...

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk /forum/post/0

Oh, I would absolutely drool if I could get Rush Limbaugh in 7.1 surround sound!!

I'd love it. He's right 99.7% of the time

#39 ·
on the 3313, the loudspeaker icons on the right side are for input AND for output signals. please look on the product picture on the Denon Website, there is a little icon over the loudspeaker icons that shows IN.

and now go to YouTube and look on the display in the presentation on the High End in Munich, there is an OUT Symbol.

new on the Denon is the Info Button. I believe this button implements an input Icon Set and the Incoming Signal Name on the second Matrix line (like Dolby True HD), and toggle with Outgoing Icon Set and the used Decoder or Configuration (like Stereo or Dolby PLIIx Cinema).

thats better than the Displays of the opponents where always max one Configuration is showing (Pioneer always incoming, Yamahe now only outgoing), but sadly not so comfortable like the former Denon Displays with both configurations.

#41 ·
^^^

3.1, cuz rush don't believe in a "center"...

#43 ·
#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex /forum/post/0

post on their DenonUSA facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/media/albums...867#!/denonusa

That link is not working right for me but I'll share this experience... last night on Denon Australia's Facebook page questions posted by myself and others about upcoming "AVR-4313", Denon Link HD. DBT-1713 and DBT-3313 were actually replied to by Denon representative/employee! In contrast, Denon USA's Facebook page has had no posts or replies from the company for 2 weeks at least. Denon Australia seems more engaged with customers...

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/0

^^^

3.1, cuz rush don't believe in a "center"...

Well he does so..........he's often the center of controversial issues

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.