Best Pre Pro for under $5000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have looked at a number of the Pre Pro from Denon, Rotel, Anthem, Integra and others and I am not sure why anyone would look beyond the Integra DHC-80.3 Surround Processor for about $2000.

Can someone help me to understand what spending additional dollars on a Pre Pro between $2000 and $5000 and above $5000 gets me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
imo, the "best pre-pro under 2k" is an avr... one that is more than competitive with the dhc-80.3 when it comes to feature set...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

Can someone help me to understand what spending additional dollars on a Pre Pro between $2000 and $5000 and above $5000 gets me?

A name? The Onkyo/Integra top shelf prepros are about as good as it gets at the $2k mark. A refurbished Onkyo 5508 will save a few bucks - get a Mack Camera Warranty to go with it - gives you up to 5 years of added coverage. The 5508 will do everything the 5509/80.3 can do - and for a few bucks less.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

How about above $2000 or even $5000?
post #5 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

What features are you looking for? That would be a better way to get some advice than an arbitrary price range.

As has already been mentioned, due to economy of sales scale, an AVR is likely to be the best option, even if you choose to use it as a pre.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

There is a point at which spending more money on audio components won't net you any more gains - for prepros its $2k IMO. Speakers? Probably around the $4-5k mark. Amplifiers? Probably not more than $1k per channel - if that. After that? Start looking for acoustic panels and bass traps. These are just my opinions - others disagree and thats ok. I'll use my money on something that makes a difference.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How about this one?

http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...eamp-Processor

Modular and upgradeable.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^^
it only has MultiXT
post #9 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver and B&W CCM 818 in-ceiling speakers in 5.1 system with Rel sub. I am thinking of replacing the LCR in-ceiling with in-wall (possible Triad Silvers or B&W CWM 7.3). I may also go to bookshelf B&W 805D or similar priced speakers.

I will need a receiver or Pre Pro with Amp to run 5.1 or 7.1 system (or biamped front) and 2 other zones for 2 channel (one in the kitchen and one outdoors).

At this stage I am looking at options. I want something that is good for HT and music, is reliable and can play at reference or at least quite loud levels.

Your feedback in welcomed. Thanks
post #10 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

I was intrigued with Arcam AVR 600 if I went the receiver route, but it did not have Audessy nor do they appear reliable. Marantz AVR 7005 seemed like another option at the $2000 Pre Pro level.

I will not be doing anything for 6 months to a year so can wait for something else to come to market. If I go with Pre Pro route, ampls will also need to be considered. I have listened to McIntosh and liked what I heard, but the price point is above my pay grade.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I see no advantage until you get into some of the upgradeable units like the Theta or Anthem D2V. Of course for the price of each upgrade you could just buy the latest and greatest AVR and have some change leftover.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The best answer is a used/refurb Denon AVP-A1HDCI + $1000 for the Audyssey XT32/3D upgrade.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Classe and Bryston both sell great sounding pre/pro products. The room correction is where the integra shines
post #14 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Have you looked at the Anthem AVM50v?

You can get one for that price or less. Also a used D2V if you want the better DACs.

I paid less than your max for my AVM50v new. Great room correction. The only other I would say is the Integra 80.3.

The AVM is great, but not many bells like internet radio etc. You could use Anthem's AVR line MRX-300 r 700 as a pre/pro.
The AVM is very tweekable as audio and video are concerned, many many settings and you can set up to 4 profiles for each input so you can have 4 settings for BD, 4 for DVD etc etc.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #15 of 21 Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 10
What about the Marantz 7005?? I'm also in the market for a pre pro, I had planned on going to the Onkyo PR-SC5508, but as an owner of a TX-NR5008 AVR, that is at the present time in the Onkyo factory authorized service center to repair their cable/corrosion problems..... Well, I've been really reconsidering this!! I had to go through a little bit to get it back for service. I've got an older TX-NR905 standing in until the change over, switch back to the 5008 is made.

I have just always liked the pre pro, amp route. Just the way I'd rather do things and if one disagrees, well that's cool too . I have an ARCAM 7 channel amp, that I'm just wanting to see how it all sounds through my Atlantic Technology THX 470 7.2 set up. Old school, I know, but.....

Any ideas on what would be a good pre pro in the sub $2500 range. The Onkyo is it hands down the one, with all it offers, but man after the problems with my 5008, well I'm kind of worried about the quality that the product line has now. And NO, I'm not trying to flame Onkyo!! I've always, I mean always been a long time Onkyo fan. I mean I've still got a TX-NR905, had an 875, I've also got the 5008 back at the service center. So, does this sound like I'm against Onkyo?? NO...... I even supported/ purchased way back in the 80's before most had even heard of Onkyo. Anyone remember the receivers that had that dynamic bass circuit?? I do, had it, CD player, speakers, all of it!! They made some pretty good speakers back in the day!!

No flame please, just an interested party that loves the same stuff as everyone else on here. I just want to find a good pre pro in the 2k range and this is without a doubt the place to come too!

James A. Kyte Jr.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyte View Post

have an ARCAM 7 channel amp, that I'm just wanting to see how it all sounds through my Atlantic Technology THX 470 7.2 set up.

What Arcam amp are you using? If you were to get another replacement today, what would you be looking at? Is it the P777. Since you are already a fan of Arcam, have you considered the AV888 as your pre pro?

Seems like one of the key features to get is Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I believe it is offered on the Integra DHC-80.3 pre pro and some of the higher end Dennon models.

I have been watching the thread on soon to be released Marantz pre pro. I am not sure what if any features will be upgraded from the AV7005.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-26-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyte View Post

What about the Marantz 7005?? I'm also in the market for a pre pro, I had planned on going to the Onkyo PR-SC5508, but as an owner of a TX-NR5008 AVR, that is at the present time in the Onkyo factory authorized service center to repair their cable/corrosion problems..... Well, I've been really reconsidering this!! I had to go through a little bit to get it back for service. I've got an older TX-NR905 standing in until the change over, switch back to the 5008 is made.

I have just always liked the pre pro, amp route. Just the way I'd rather do things and if one disagrees, well that's cool too . I have an ARCAM 7 channel amp, that I'm just wanting to see how it all sounds through my Atlantic Technology THX 470 7.2 set up. Old school, I know, but.....

Any ideas on what would be a good pre pro in the sub $2500 range. The Onkyo is it hands down the one, with all it offers, but man after the problems with my 5008, well I'm kind of worried about the quality that the product line has now. And NO, I'm not trying to flame Onkyo!! I've always, I mean always been a long time Onkyo fan. I mean I've still got a TX-NR905, had an 875, I've also got the 5008 back at the service center. So, does this sound like I'm against Onkyo?? NO...... I even supported/ purchased way back in the 80's before most had even heard of Onkyo. Anyone remember the receivers that had that dynamic bass circuit?? I do, had it, CD player, speakers, all of it!! They made some pretty good speakers back in the day!!

No flame please, just an interested party that loves the same stuff as everyone else on here. I just want to find a good pre pro in the 2k range and this is without a doubt the place to come too!

AT made a system 470??

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #18 of 21 Old 05-26-2012, 07:26 AM

Haha, I meant THX 450!! As long as I've had these great speakers and I do that . But, I guess it happens when one gets older.

James A. Kyte Jr.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM

The Arcam I have is the P1000, think it's the 135 watt per channel amp. I haven't really looked at the Arcam pre-pro's. I've been pretty set on the PR-SC5508, until my issues with the TX-NR5008 starting going on and I mean it got so bad I had to stop using it and put the 905 back in my home theater.
I've just started worrying about the same issues with the 5008, as I'm aware of the fact that some of the 5508's do suffer from the same issues as my 5008 has, or had. I may get it back all fixed up!! But, then I just plan on selling to help fund my pre-pro.

The NAD looks pretty nice though!! The Marantz gets pretty good reviews.

James A. Kyte Jr.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

AT made a system 470??

Nice to see another with a similar brand mix. I have an Onkyo TX-NR3007 (running as pre-pro to a 7 channel Arcam amp to Atlantics. Mine are in-walls, but I do enjoy the set-up. I too am on my 3rd Onkyo AVR and will probably replace in a year or two with a true pre-pro. I will probably stay away from Onkyo/Integra this time given the build quality and I am really tired of the signal click every time the source signal changes.

I have been narrowing my search down to either Arcam or Anthem.

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 21 Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I have an Arcam AVR600 (very new 2nd hand at

If you hang around here for long enough you think you'd die without Audyssey. All I can say is there is life beyond Audyssey and I can live with what I have. I don't need most of the features other brands boast to have: networking, streaming, extra zones, extra channels or any surround processing modes.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page