Yamaha RXV663 Help PLEASE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey, guys, I recently pulled out and dusted off my old Nintendo 64 so I can screw around with my buddies. Anyway, I wanted to hook it up to my Yamaha receiver, since my Pioneer tv does not have the speaker attached to it.
Since it uses the analog Yellow/white/red, I decided to plug it into the VCR section of my yamaha receiver. I also made sure they are plugged into the proper INPUTS. When I hit VCR on the yamaha remote, I can hear the Nintendo sound just fine, however, I can not for the life of me get it to display the video to the television! I am actually quite savvy with this stuff but I am completely stumped at this point! My PS3, Satellite, second Satellite, and DVR all play through the receiver to my TV just perfect. Everything outputs through the HDMI cable and displayed on the TV. So what am I Missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Is the Yamaha setup to upconvert the incoming analog signal? Page 97 of the manual.

Bill
post #3 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi, thanks for the reply, I atually did check that and it is set to upconvert. However, I think there is some fine print in the manual that says it will not upconvert 480 lines or something like that. Interestingly enough, one of the games when we turn it on, shows up and works when the game is booting up. But once the game enters the menu the screen goes black and I can see the tv shows it isnt getting a signal... So something in the converting part is goofy. When I take the yellow video cable and run it directly to the TV, it works fine and all the games work fine. However, I was hoping if I hook it up to the Yamaha unit, that the video quality might improve some. Because currently with just the yellow video cable plugged into the back of the TV, the quality is just terrible. I remember a much sharper image even on a tube TV with this Nintendo 64.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought I would paste in this part from the manual. Hopefully someone can make sense of these notes to me. Because I am not sure what 480 and 576 interchangeably mean

This unit does not convert 480 line video signals and 576 line video signals interchangeably.
Unconventional signals input at the composite video jacks cannot be converted or may be output abnormally. In such cases set Video Convert to off.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

anyone?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Why not connect the yellow video wire to the tv and only feed audio to the reciever?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

as stated in my 3rd post, I have done that. Which does work, however the picture quality is just terrible to the point where older picture tube TV's had a smoother sharper picture. So i was hoping the yamaha unit can possibly upconvert or correct this issue.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You could also try running a composite cable (the yellow video wire) from the monitor out of your reciever to the TV. You may need to turn off analog-to-analog conversion.

The Yamaha isn't likely to a better job of upscaling standard definition content than your TV. Either way you tend to get large fuzzy pixels, rather the small fuzzy pixels that blend together on a standard definition CRT TV.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 346
You're not going to make a low res signal from your Nintendo 64 look good on a flat screen tv.

Its gonna look like a SD tv channel.

Afro GT
post #10 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok thanks guys. i guess ill have to live with the 64 bit look lol
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version