Onkyo Tx- sr805 Receiver problem. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, have a prob I was hoping you could help with. So my wife turned on the receiver today like she always does and when she went to hit Aux 1 she saw a spark and smelled smoke. obviously a big problem. Now all we see is the standby button blinking red.

I bought the unit in 2007 and just before it ran out of warranty, the power unit or somethign blew and I had to have repair work done. It was under warranty so paid nothing. My question is.... Do these units have only a two year life before crap starts blowing up? This is the second time I have had an issue. I have a high dollar surge protector and line conditioner that it's plugged in to, so I am eliminating any complications with that.

Any idea what it might cost to get it fixed? Is it just time to buy a new one?

Thanks so much guys. You all are great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 06:43 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughCut View Post

Hey guys, have a prob I was hoping you could help with. So my wife turned on the receiver today like she always does and when she went to hit Aux 1 she saw a spark and smelled smoke. obviously a big problem. Now all we see is the standby button blinking red.

I bought the unit in 2007 and just before it ran out of warranty, the power unit or somethign blew and I had to have repair work done. It was under warranty so paid nothing. My question is.... Do these units have only a two year life before crap starts blowing up? This is the second time I have had an issue. I have a high dollar surge protector and line conditioner that it's plugged in to, so I am eliminating any complications with that.

Any idea what it might cost to get it fixed? Is it just time to buy a new one?

Thanks so much guys. You all are great!!!

Unless you are electronic engineer or technician and can fix it yourself, it does not make economic sense repair your receiver. Try to sell it for parts on e-bay (wich may bring you $100 or so) and get a new one. Onkyo receivers are known to have premature death after 2-3 years of service. Making reliable devices is not a priority for that brand.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 10
Awesome. Sorry to hear about your receiver.

I was just about to post a similar thread, as mine had just crapped out this morning.

My issue is that there is no sound to any of the speakers, and it does not detect any speakers. The test tone function does not produce any sound either. I performed a factory reset and the issue still persists. There was no smoke or anything as dramatic, it simply worked last night and did not this morning.

So now, I too am at a crossroads to get it serviced. Anyone have a range as to what it would cost to get fixed? Does anyone think I should even get it looked at? My local place has a $35 non-refundable diagnostic fee and it will take a month for them to even look at it.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Liked: 12
There are probably enough new bells and whistles on AV receivers that it would make sense to trash your current receiver and get a new one. Unfortunately, my Onkyo TX SR805 is working great and I have no reason to get a new one.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page