My sound setup is a little harsh at higher volumes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon AVR-1712 connected to an Energy CC-10 center, CB-10 front, and CR-10 surrounds, and a Polk PSW-10 sub. I have used the built-in Audyssey XT to apply room correction.

Overall, I am happy with my sound quality at normal volumes. When I turn the volume up a little further to watch a movie, I feel the sound is a little harsh at the volume that I would like to watch it at. I'm not trying to achieve blaring volumes, but I do like it at a volume where it's a little loud and gets you into the movie. I end up having to choose between listening at the higher volume with some harshness, or lowering it about 4 notches for a more pleasant sound.

I thought that Audyssey would automatically adjust the EQ sound that the sound is pleasant and not harsh. I understand that there are limitations to what you can expect from a $400 amp and automatic room correction, but I was wondering what else I can do. My sound knowledge is above amateur level, but I'm certainly no expert.

Outside of purchasing an external EQ, what are my options? Are there other settings in Audyssey or this amp that I can play with? I appreciate any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
That's one of the characteristics of the Energy CB/CF/CC speakers. They're bright sounding anyway and at high volumes they will sound harsh.

You'd have to replace your speakers if you want a different sound. Polk Monitors are the same way.

Audyssey can only do so much, if the speaker is built with harsh sounding tweeters Audyssey cant fix that.

Afro GT
Old 05-25-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have same problem with my speakers (B&W) or my ears...can't say for sure

They sound great for music though.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Maybe the problem you are having is with your room. The only way to fix room problems is with Acoustic Treatments. Electronics and speakers will never fix a problem with a room.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Maybe the problem you are having is with your room. The only way to fix room problems is with Acoustic Treatments. Electronics and speakers will never fix a problem with a room.

Good point. I had the same exact problem as the original poster. I had to put EIGHT 2'x4'x2" acoustic panels to fix the harshness issues. This was in a small 1600cf room. Now I can turn things up to almost reference, where I was at least -10dB below that before.

Before I replaced the speakers, I'd try acoustic treatments. I just picked up the rigid fiberglass panels at a local industrial HVAC supply company (they are everywhere) and the polyester acoustically transparent fabric at crafts store. Then I pinned the fabric to the panels with stick pins from the same crafts store. I attached them to the wall by putting up a row of finishing nails at an angle, then impaling the panels I just constructed upon them. Cheap and effective. A LOT cheaper and easier than getting all new speakers, which probably wouldn't help much anyway.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Before spending money on different speakers, I'd read this entire Audyssey 101 article and really optimize your XT calibration. There is a ton of information here that will refine how Audyssey calibrates your room and you can try that for free first:

Audyssey 101: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=51803

More Denon setup here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...p?p=20422026#T

http://batpigworld.com

Thanks to kbarnes701, jdsmoothie and batpig...
Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

So the harshness is from room reflections, not from the higher frequencies being too loud?
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I'm not so sure, I have two setups in different rooms, neither room is treated.
The Onkyo - Polk Monitor setup gets a little harsh when loud. The Onkyo - Atlantic
Technology - setup is never harsh.

..actually the Polk room has wood floors while the AT room has carpet, that could
be a factor.