Best Pre-Pro Option? Integra 80.3, Marantz 7005, Sherwood R-972, Aventage 3010, Or? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Well after reading the well written and detailed reviews of the R-972 in this thread I'm very tempted to order one. My only concern which I have had from the beginning is how bad is the audio delay when watching cable. Is it only with HDMI or would I get it with the optical input as well? I currently use component from my Time Warner SA-8300HD DVR directly to my plasma. For audio I use the optical output to my 4311. So if the audio delay is not an issue when using optical then I think I'll order one.

I have an email into Accessories4Less to see what their return policy is if I find the audio delay to be too much of a headache. If their return policy is you have to pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee (per their site) then I'll pass.

I just found this post in the dedicated R-972 thread from 3/12/12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

I tried the optical cable...same delay. This delay really sucks.
I also tried the L/R analog cables out of the cable box. I lose a little lfe as to be expected but I have to say dolby movie is exceptional and you don't have any delay switching channels.

I had many avr's and a pre-pro, a couple quirks i'm used to. But I don't think I can live with these.

It appears that the audio delay is also an issue when using optical. Is the audio delay still an issue or was it corrected (FW update)?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"-Not an issue unless you're using a separate amp, but the RCA shields on the R-972's preouts are actually built to stay on when you disconnect a cable. It seems the MRX's preout shields are designed to break away..."

DS-21, I'm not completely sure what you are describing here. I definitely would be using separate amplifiers. Is that an issue?

John
post #33 of 38 Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

"-Not an issue unless you're using a separate amp, but the RCA shields on the R-972's preouts are actually built to stay on when you disconnect a cable. It seems the MRX's preout shields are designed to break away..."

DS-21, I'm not completely sure what you are describing here. I definitely would be using separate amplifiers. Is that an issue?

Hah! So I am not the only one.

When I was removing the review MRX from my system, the shield of one of the RCA output jacks pulled free from the chassis and remained with the cable. Admittedly, the RCA cables I used have very strong grips but this was a first for me.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #34 of 38 Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

What Prof. Rubinson wrote. There's also some talk about it on the MRX thread. Someone from Anthem blamed it on boutique interconnects, but I've used the same interconnects on everything from multi-kilobuck amps to $100 subwoofer plate amps to $25 Monoprice DACs, and never had the shield pop off on an RCA jack before.

It's annoying, but doesn't seem to much of a functional issue, because you can just re-insert the shield and it works fine. Still, I suspect I'll get mine soldered onto the board properly under warranty when I move and have to disassemble the system anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

When I was removing the review MRX from my system, the shield of one of the RCA output jacks pulled free from the chassis and remained with the cable. Admittedly, the RCA cables I used have very strong grips but this was a first for me.

That would have been an interesting thing to read in the review. (Unless it was there, and I missed it. In that case, my apologies.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #35 of 38 Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

That would have been an interesting thing to read in the review. (Unless it was there, and I missed it. In that case, my apologies.)

I agree but it occurred after the review went to bed.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #36 of 38 Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I agree but it occurred after the review went to bed.

Fair enough.

Makes perfect sense that one wouldn't unhook things until a review on it is done.

Thanks for the reply, and for mentioning it in this thread.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #37 of 38 Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bill,

I read your questions and responses in the R-072 thread. Someone whose opinion you respected there stated that they didnt feel as though the audio delay was of real significance. Have you had any followup converstations that could shed light on that? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Sherwood.

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the R-972. But the above issue with audio delay with my SA-8300HD DVR would be the deal breaker. Has the audio delay issue been resolved (FW upgrade)?

Nope. Sorry Bill.

Wish you could experience it. I really don't think it is that bad.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well after reading the well written and detailed reviews of the R-972 in this thread I'm very tempted to order one. My only concern which I have had from the beginning is how bad is the audio delay when watching cable. Is it only with HDMI or would I get it with the optical input as well? I currently use component from my Time Warner SA-8300HD DVR directly to my plasma. For audio I use the optical output to my 4311. So if the audio delay is not an issue when using optical then I think I'll order one.

I have an email into Accessories4Less to see what their return policy is if I find the audio delay to be too much of a headache. If their return policy is you have to pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee (per their site) then I'll pass.

I just found this post in the dedicated R-972 thread from 3/12/12:

It appears that the audio delay is also an issue when using optical. Is the audio delay still an issue or was it corrected (FW update)?

Bill

post #38 of 38 Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Bill,

I read your questions and responses in the R-972 thread. Someone whose opinion you respected there stated that they didnt feel as though the audio delay was of real significance. Have you had any followup converstations that could shed light on that? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Sherwood.

John,

I haven't had any further discussions about the audio delay with the R-972. The audio delay issue with an Onkyo 905 I owned for a short while drove me crazy. It was corrected eventually with a FW update but I didn't wait and returned the 905 within a week. I respect Curtis' opinion very much but his tolerance for the audio delay might be much better than mine would be. I contacted A4L about their return policy if I had the audio delay issue with the R-972. I received a reply that stated that there was no restocking fee if I encountered this issue. The 15% restocking fee was charged if someone returns an item like the R-972 for no reason other than they didn't like it.

If you do not watch much TV or are not worried about the audio delay as many are not I would suggest ordering the R-972. I'm still tempted to order the R-972 but I'm quite happy with the 4311. I had the 866 for over three years and I was very happy with it in that time. I just do not want to get into a AVR/prepro swapping mode right now as I just do not have the time. In other words changing out AVR/prepros can be time consuming and frustrating especially if the SQ gains are minimal at best. One item that a few R-972 owners have commented on is that dialog is much clearer with the R-972 and Trinnov. Luckily I do not have any center channel volume or dialog issues with the settings (volume and distance) of Audyssey XT32 and the 4311.

So at the price of $599 shipped for the R-972 it really is hard to not at least give it a try.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page