post #1 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have zero experience with pioneer receivers and ran across their new line up
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eceivers/SC-67

And the sc-68

Is the thx worth it? I have the denon 4311 on pre-order and came across these and wondering how elite compares...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IMO I think the Pioneer SC models sound much better then Denon.
I also like the feature set better. MCACC is a wonderful tool for calibration and setup in your room. Denon uses Audyssey which is also a very good Tool.

The Denon is a very fine AVR in it's own right. It has plenty of power, bells and such. It's a very warm sound but compared to the Elite it lacks dynamic range.

The SC-68 is a beast and looks to be a worthy flagship upgrade over the current SC-57. I have not heard the new models but since the SC-07 which ICe was Introduced , the sound quality of all SC models are extremely close from year to year. I expect the SC-68 to sound much like the SC-57 which I did a side by side comparison with the older SC-07 and they where just about identical.

Both choices here are good choices , it would be nice if you could hear them both on your un said speakers which are???
post #3 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

I have zero experience with pioneer receivers and ran across their new line up
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eceivers/SC-67

And the sc-68

Is the thx worth it? I have the denon 4311 on pre-order and came across these and wondering how elite compares...

Stay with the 4311 which has XT32, pioneer's MCACC is behind the times and hasn't had a meaningful upgrade in years. It still doesn't EQ the sub and lacks individual XO points for each speaker. As a big plus since you are getting the 4311 at the end of its production run so you will get it much cheaper than the pioneer.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I feel the opposite. I went from the Denon 4310 to the SC57 and I'm not happy with the sound. It (Elite) sounds thin to me. Nothing else changed. I have Def Tech 7001 for mains and the 3000 as my center. I'm sure I'll be going back to Denon in the future. I'm waiting to see what the 4520 will be. I miss the subtle detail at lower volumes the a denon had with my speakers.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 10
Although I have never heard the Denon 4310 or 4311, my recent experience with the Elite SC-55 at low level was amazing on an in-wall speakercraft MTTWO, in-wall B&W CCM 664, and floorstanding B&W CM9GB.

I'd like to get my ears on the Denon for further comparison.

Right now I have the SC 55 at the top of my list but open to other receivers.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up with the denon avr-3312ci and so far it seems nice. skipped the pio after researching and costs and this thread...
post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
i owned a sc-05 and a sc-09. i currently own a denon a100.

run flat, with no processing applied, and within spec, i wouldn't bet a nickel i could tell them apart...

with processing applied, it's very easy to tell them apart, as one of them applies processing in the very area that most home users need it most, and the other two don't...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

Stay with the 4311 which has XT32, pioneer's MCACC is behind the times and hasn't had a meaningful upgrade in years. It still doesn't EQ the sub and lacks individual XO points for each speaker. As a big plus since you are getting the 4311 at the end of its production run so you will get it much cheaper than the pioneer.

People get all upset about the lack of sub-EQ, but I feel this is much ado about nothing. About the only thing you'd want the sub-EQ for is to get rid of resonance and I'm not sure the sub-EQ systems that are out there do this anyway. (Of course, I also feel that down-firing subwoofers are insane anyway.) I think the much bigger issue, which Pioneer definitely doesn't do and I don't think Audyssey does either, is that the regular EQ needs to be third-octave. The limited bands you can adjust right now is really amateurish IMO. We had third-octave equalizers 30 years ago. This can't be very expensive to incorporate into a supposedly high-end receiver.

My Pioneer SC55 sounds fine for BD movies and TV watching, but I think it sucks for analog playback and it's only fair for CD playback. But I haven't directly compared it to a Denon using the same speakers, so I don't know if the Denon would be any better.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

you "feel" incorrectly... it is FAR from much ado about nothing... edit: downfiring or side firing makes ZERO difference...

if you care to educate yourself further, peruse this post...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1346723/the-audyssey-pro-installer-kit-thread/2160#post_21961057

furthermore, graphic equalizers, regardless of granularity, pale in comparison to what audyssey does, and how it works...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quick question to everyone. I am in the running to buy a Receiver. I have narrowed my pick down to the Pioneer Elite series due to the video conversion and upscaling that I've read about on other forums and in Home Theater magazine. I chose this over the Yamaha series, which I have loved because of its attention to music CD's etc. But with kids now and more movie watching than music listening, we decided to build our system with movies in mind. I have a relatively large living room and cathedral ceilings and because of the cost, we have not had a stereo system or TV in 3 years (except for our little 24 incher) after we renovated our house. We have saved up to buy a system that we would love. We do not have a traditional 4 wall enclosure, it is wide open to the next room, hence, my back speakers are M&K tripoles which have worked wonders in the past. I do not plan on changing these.

In terms of speakers, I have chosen to go with the Definitive Tech Mythos for the fronts, as well Center speaker. We do not have a TV picked out yet - probably another 3 to 6 months away, but we will have some music if we can just decide upon what receiver to buy. I have brought it down to this: The Pioneer Elite SC-67 or the Pioneer Elite SC-68. In the Home Theater forum, they list the following as differences between the two:

"The thx-mode on square feet and the dacs and also bi-amping front and rear speakers and center."

Now keeping in mind the system that I am building, is it really worth spending an extra $500-$700 on this issue? Will I appreciate the difference at all at this point? Or would it be better to get the SC-67, whose direction I am currently leaning toward and decide about upgrading later?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

A methodically slow Noobie trying to build a system for the next 10 years.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry - wrong post
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors