Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 103 - AVS Forum
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
juanchibiris's Avatar juanchibiris 04:28 AM 11-26-2012
Does this receivers still get very hot?, I had an Onkyo TX-NR809 and replaced it with a Denon AVR-3312 and is so much cooler, but at this prices and with XT32 I´m thinking of replacing it again, upgraditis smile.gif

Will there be a big difference in sound just for XT32?

NUBS313's Avatar NUBS313 07:52 AM 11-26-2012
Similar question to the previous post. I just pulled the trigger on this receiver. I will be using it as a pre/pro feeding a 3 ch amp for my front soundstage and two 2 ch amps for my surrounds and rears. Wondering if anybody else is using it like this. With not using any of the amp section if this receiver will it run cooler???
Patrick Murphy's Avatar Patrick Murphy 08:01 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

do i have to rerun adyssey if i update to the latest fw? what are the latest fw improvements? thanks...

That depends on what f/w you have. One of the earliest versions DID require a complete re-do of the setup.

"The 6/15 /12 update will address the following:
1. Corrects unexpected instance where a portion of the internal memory may stop working during operation.
*See below for further important details
2. Adds UBT-1 Support

*IMPORTANT NOTICE

1) If the current F/W version of your receiver IS listed above, this update will occur in 2 parts.
a. The 1st part of the update will clear the settings and restore the unit to factory default setting. Initial set-up must be performed again including Network setting and Audyssey calibration.

b. Once the network setting are re-established, the 2nd portion of the update will occur which will add support for the UBT-1. Settings WILL NOT be cleared as a result of this 2nd portion.
c. It is recommended to proceed with these FW update via USB
2) If the current F/W version of your receiver IS NOT listed above, only the UBT-1 support update will be processed. Settings WILL NOT be cleared as a result of this portion.
Once these updates are completed, the receivers F/W version will be 1080-6100-0100-0000"

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/Firmware_Update_for_the_TXNR818_724.pdf?CFID=2024459&CFTOKEN=41807874&jsessionid=f030ceca07bdf025a14e7d3f42311e1f6525
theoneofgod's Avatar theoneofgod 08:12 AM 11-26-2012
The AV has never ran hot with me. It can get a little warm though.
Patrick Murphy's Avatar Patrick Murphy 08:22 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

Does this receivers still get very hot?, I had an Onkyo TX-NR809 and replaced it with a Denon AVR-3312 and is so much cooler, but at this prices and with XT32 I´m thinking of replacing it again, upgraditis smile.gif
Will there be a big difference in sound just for XT32?

I leave mine on for 8+ hours at a time at it barely gets warmer than room temperature at -20dB volume setting. It's not in a rack though.

I'm dealing with some quirks with XT32 now as mic and speaker placement is much more critical than previous versions, IMO. I was dealing with some very strong high end shrillness because of the center speaker angle. This has been tamed a bit by changing the speaker angle and mic calibration position. Unless you get very lucky or you're not as picky as me, multiple calibration runs are in your future.
happymedium's Avatar happymedium 08:29 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

You cannot down convert HDMI to component.
In addition, the OSD is only available out of the HDMI output.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Kelly.
TazExprez's Avatar TazExprez 08:57 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBS313 View Post

Similar question to the previous post. I just pulled the trigger on this receiver. I will be using it as a pre/pro feeding a 3 ch amp for my front soundstage and two 2 ch amps for my surrounds and rears. Wondering if anybody else is using it like this. With not using any of the amp section if this receiver will it run cooler???

I ordered this on Friday and plan on using external amps for everything as well.
Laurence's Avatar Laurence 09:03 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez View Post

I ordered this on Friday and plan on using external amps for everything as well.

I ordered it on Friday from Amazon at 4:00 pm and it was delivered this morning at 10:15. It is unboxed and looking at me.redface.gif
runnin''s Avatar runnin' 09:32 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence View Post

I ordered it on Friday from Amazon at 4:00 pm and it was delivered this morning at 10:15. It is unboxed and looking at me.redface.gif

And is it smiling?
kbfern's Avatar kbfern 11:05 AM 11-26-2012
The 818 runs cooler than earlier versions, my previous 805 ran quite hot even at lower volumes (-25db and quieter) the 818 gets a bit warm once you run it at -10db and louder but still no where near as hot as the 805.The reason is probably down to the two fans now fitted inside which I have not heard in operation and I run teh amp for 3-4 hrs each day.
Coolerman's Avatar Coolerman 12:11 PM 11-26-2012
My first post and a happy ending story about the 818.

Some background: I am an old electronics tech (actually trained on vacuum tubes!). I was into audio/video many many years ago, but got into other things like computers and PLC's. I am now at a point in my life where I want to get back into this, so here I am. cool.gif

I have been lurking on here for a long time reading and waiting for the day the wife agreed we could afford to start updating our audio system.
That day came a few months ago when I finally convinced the wife we could afford it. So I pulled the trigger on the following speakers:

Polk CSi A4 Center channel
Polk FXi A4 rear surrounds
Polk RTi A3 fronts.
(Had to go with the bookshelves due to the entertainment system the wife bought without consulting me...mad.gif) Compared to the JBL Home theater system speakers they replaced, these things are unreal...
However what is driving those nice speakers is an Onkyo TX-SV636 that is, shall we say, old? Hey it does have surround sound... rolleyes.gif
So next I started here looking at receivers, and ended up on this thread! After reading 100 pages I was convinced this was the one and last Friday placed an order through Amazon for $849.00 I was EXCITED at the "low" price (it had been $1089.00) and eagerly awaited it's delivery. Well... I had not checked my email since I placed the order. As you can guess, I was royally pissed off when I get to work and find an email from Amazon saying my credit card was declined!!! eek.gif I just knew the price had went back up to $1089.00 and was going to demand they meet the Friday price if it had.

I quickly figured out that Amazon had used a card that was on file that had been canceled due to unauthorized activity. I started to re-place the order when OMG! eek.gif The price is down to $649.00!!!! With my cash back on my Discover (plus taxes and shipping) I got the receiver for $601.49!!! I don't know if the receiver will be smiling when I get it, but I sure am!!
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 12:36 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post

My first post and a happy ending story about the 818.
Some background: I am an old electronics tech (actually trained on vacuum tubes!). I was into audio/video many many years ago, but got into other things like computers and PLC's. I am now at a point in my life where I want to get back into this, so here I am. cool.gif
I have been lurking on here for a long time reading and waiting for the day the wife agreed we could afford to start updating our audio system.
That day came a few months ago when I finally convinced the wife we could afford it. So I pulled the trigger on the following speakers:
Polk CSi A4 Center channel
Polk FXi A4 rear surrounds
Polk RTi A3 fronts.
(Had to go with the bookshelves due to the entertainment system the wife bought without consulting me...mad.gif) Compared to the JBL Home theater system speakers they replaced, these things are unreal...
However what is driving those nice speakers is an Onkyo TX-SV636 that is, shall we say, old? Hey it does have surround sound... rolleyes.gif
So next I started here looking at receivers, and ended up on this thread! After reading 100 pages I was convinced this was the one and last Friday placed an order through Amazon for $849.00 I was EXCITED at the "low" price (it had been $1089.00) and eagerly awaited it's delivery. Well... I had not checked my email since I placed the order. As you can guess, I was royally pissed off when I get to work and find an email from Amazon saying my credit card was declined!!! eek.gif I just knew the price had went back up to $1089.00 and was going to demand they meet the Friday price if it had.
I quickly figured out that Amazon had used a card that was on file that had been canceled due to unauthorized activity. I started to re-place the order when OMG! eek.gif The price is down to $649.00!!!! With my cash back on my Discover (plus taxes and shipping) I got the receiver for $601.49!!! I don't know if the receiver will be smiling when I get it, but I sure am!!

That's an excellent price. I am sure you will love it. Specially with the Audyssey XT32. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on it as well, but the wife gave the "LOOK." eek.gif So, now I am looking at refurbished units rolleyes.gif I can't get mad at her though. She bought me my sub RW-12D as an early X-MAS present.
Audio5oh's Avatar Audio5oh 01:49 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

i just don't see it. i watched P.E. last night on blu-ray and all looked good to me. i never saw it on my former 709 either. i looked very hard for it as well ie: background pans etc. my eyes don't see it, but this is me perhaps some of you can spot it if it's there. thankfully i can't..

That's good but do you have the processing turned off? Are you using the MAIN HDMI or the SUB input? I'd much rather use the MAIN, but if Onkyo doesn't fix this, I'll look for another brand.
Low Profile's Avatar Low Profile 03:12 PM 11-26-2012
Does anyone have a copy of the RS-232 protocol for the 818, including a list of the supported commands? Thanks!
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 03:25 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

That's good but do you have the processing turned off? Are you using the MAIN HDMI or the SUB input? I'd much rather use the MAIN, but if Onkyo doesn't fix this, I'll look for another brand.
processing is on using "through" and using main out. however, my tv is utilizing the 3:2 pulldown method which may alter the effect.
codoug's Avatar codoug 04:59 PM 11-26-2012
I was not planning to buy anything on Black Friday. However, my old Pioneer Elite receiver had been acting up (intermittent surround rear channel noise, flaky function switching) but it still worked pretty well and I planned to keep it for another year before replacement. Then, this past Thursday the HDMI switch died. So off I went to look for the 2 or 3 receivers I had been eyeing as a replacement. Eureka! Newegg had the Onkyo TX-NR818 on sale for $699 (normally $1199) with free shipping. Resistance was futile.

The unit is scheduled for delivery on Thursday, the 29th. I downloaded the manual and have been reading through it. Based on the manual and some notes in this thread, I'll be dusting off an unused Airport Express to stream music. One thing that I cannot discern from the manual, however, is whether or not the Audyssey set up can save more than one speaker configuration. For instance, it would be nice to save one "normal" set up for movies at high volume levels and another set up for lower volume (with the rears boosted a bit). Anyone know if this is possible? Not a huge deal, but would be nice.

FWIW, the Pioneer will live on in my office/computer room/man cave connected to my Linn turntable. I will keep it busy digitizing my LP collection.
babgvant's Avatar babgvant 05:54 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post

Does anyone have a copy of the RS-232 protocol for the 818, including a list of the supported commands? Thanks!

I don't think Onkyo distributes the ISCP (Integra Serial Control Protocol) documentation freely, but there are XLS copies floating around the web. Just ask Google.
Low Profile's Avatar Low Profile 06:24 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

I don't think Onkyo distributes the ISCP (Integra Serial Control Protocol) documentation freely, but there are XLS copies floating around the web. Just ask Google.

Yeah, I'll have to give Google another shot. If anyone has the information I need please send me a PM. Purchased the 818 over the weekend. Unless I can obtain the RS-232 information I need it's getting shipped back to Newegg. Couldn't pass up the price, otherwise I would have ensured I had the RS-232 documentation in hand prior to purchasing.
Low Profile's Avatar Low Profile 07:30 PM 11-26-2012
Found ISCP documentation from 2010 which should get me most of the way there I would think. Will be taking a close look over it tomorrow. If anyone has the latest documentation which specifically includes the 818 please let me know. Thanks!
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 07:32 PM 11-26-2012
^^^

try remote central... the guys there should be able to set you up...

www.remotecentral.com
taje's Avatar taje 07:55 PM 11-26-2012
On the 818 is it possible to pass through a HDMI signal from my uverse box to the TV when the 818 is powered off? For the times I don't want to listen to my speakers and just through the TV is that possible?
Low Profile's Avatar Low Profile 09:03 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
try remote central... the guys there should be able to set you up...
www.remotecentral.com

Been participating in the forums over at Remote Central for a number of years now. :-) That's where I obtained the current RS-232 docs that I have. Must be really tired today. Didn't even think to look there earlier today.
Dums's Avatar Dums 12:32 AM 11-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post

Does anyone have a copy of the RS-232 protocol for the 818, including a list of the supported commands? Thanks!
I've sent email to onkyoadmin AT us.onkyo.com asking for control protocol description and they've promptly sent me v1.23 documentation.
Leo Ringstad's Avatar Leo Ringstad 02:10 AM 11-27-2012
hello, i got a very important question that will be the deal breaker if imma return my shipped unit or not. Im moving into this new appartment on friday and my 717 is ready for pickup now. i need the 3 zones, the big power etc. even though im not running sourround.

1. Can i use HDMI and pair it up with an audio input (RCA) ? - i have a media PC that gives video through dvi, and i have a DVI->HDMI adapter on it. i need to get the sound from one of the RCA inputs.
it this possible?! this computer does not even have a VGA out.

2. does the app for the phone work flawless, or is it choppy/buggy? also,can you adjust volume in different zones from it? i tried teh demo but it sucked.,


thanks alot,

Leo
theoneofgod's Avatar theoneofgod 02:35 AM 11-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ringstad View Post

hello, i got a very important question that will be the deal breaker if imma return my shipped unit or not. Im moving into this new appartment on friday and my 717 is ready for pickup now. i need the 3 zones, the big power etc. even though im not running sourround.
1. Can i use HDMI and pair it up with an audio input (RCA) ? - i have a media PC that gives video through dvi, and i have a DVI->HDMI adapter on it. i need to get the sound from one of the RCA inputs.
it this possible?! this computer does not even have a VGA out.
2. does the app for the phone work flawless, or is it choppy/buggy? also,can you adjust volume in different zones from it? i tried teh demo but it sucked.,
thanks alot,
Leo

1) Yes.
2) No, it is crap.
2.1) Use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=laumed.onkytrollertrial&feature=nav_other#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDYsImxhdW1lZC5vbmt5dHJvbGxlcnRyaWFsIl0. it costs a bit, but so much more functionality.
Leo Ringstad's Avatar Leo Ringstad 03:17 AM 11-27-2012
is it laggy? and can you adjust the volume in different zones? what happens if you connect two phones at the same time? what happens if you adjust the volume with the knob or infrared remote? does it update live in the app?

/Leo
markus767's Avatar markus767 03:23 AM 11-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by codoug View Post

One thing that I cannot discern from the manual, however, is whether or not the Audyssey set up can save more than one speaker configuration. For instance, it would be nice to save one "normal" set up for movies at high volume levels and another set up for lower volume (with the rears boosted a bit).

No need for different configurations. Audyssey Dynamic EQ will perform those adjustments on the fly.
theoneofgod's Avatar theoneofgod 03:27 AM 11-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ringstad View Post

is it laggy? and can you adjust the volume in different zones? what happens if you connect two phones at the same time? what happens if you adjust the volume with the knob or infrared remote? does it update live in the app?
/Leo
1) No, the app is not laggy.
2) Yes, you can adjust volume in all 3 zones.
3) It will work as normal.
4) It updates on the app.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 05:53 AM 11-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
try remote central... the guys there should be able to set you up...
www.remotecentral.com

Been participating in the forums over at Remote Central for a number of years now. :-) That's where I obtained the current RS-232 docs that I have. Must be really tired today. Didn't even think to look there earlier today.

lol, trust me, i know that feeling... wink.gif

i would "guess" that the protocol/commands are consistent with previous years models, there would be no good reason to change it.... but that's a guess, i haven't used onkyos... on my denons (and previous pios) though, it's simply been a matter of adding in any "new" commands as i "upgrade"...

hopefully you'll be able to snag the doc...
asere's Avatar asere 07:51 AM 11-27-2012
The 818 ca be purchased at Amazon for 699 plus shipping and same with Newegg 699 although right now Newegg is out of stock.
Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop