post #3241 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
an airport extreme basestation is NOT needed to use an airport express in the way you are describing...

You are correct. I was thinking of something else. Sorry for the confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post

I know my room calibration is going to be challenging for the receiver. Log walls, vaulted cathedral 24' ceilings, hardwood floors, stone fireplace with large windows on one wall, room is much longer in one dimension than the other with the speakers at one end of this. Couple that with the small Polk RTiA3 main fronts and the JBL 100 watt powered sub and I fear I won't be able to obtain the "room filling" sound needed for good special effects. I don't know enough about modern systems to know what they are capable of, so until I have run the setup I'll keep the questions and bitching to a minimum. wink.gif

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve in your room (which sounds, if you will forgive the unintended pun, delightful). It's more a question of how close you sit to the speakers (and sub) than the absolute volume of the room. If you are sitting a few feet away - say no more than 10 feet - you may well be happy with the result. 

If not, then a more powerful sub and a more powerful amp may be required (and maybe speakers that can handle the power at high SPLs). Be sure to come back and let us know what you find once you are all set up.

post #3243 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve in your room (which sounds, if you will forgive the unintended pun, delightful). It's more a question of how close you sit to the speakers (and sub) than the absolute volume of the room. If you are sitting a few feet away - say no more than 10 feet - you may well be happy with the result. 

If not, then a more powerful sub and a more powerful amp may be required (and maybe speakers that can handle the power at high SPLs). Be sure to come back and let us know what you find once you are all set up.

I'm learning here so forgive me. Before I bought the HSU sub I was told that it does not matter what speakers one has. Do the speakers have to be able to handle high SPL's and why? Thank you!
post #3244 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
an airport extreme basestation is NOT needed to use an airport express in the way you are describing...

One clarification to make sure we are not confusing folks: the Airport express will work wirelessly in the way that I described with most other wireless router/base stations. However, it will not work wirelessly to extend the network. In other words, configured to wirelessly connect to the router/ base station, the Airport Express will only work in Client Mode to stream music to the receiver. If you wish to extend the network to connect wireless devices via the Airport Express, you must connect the Airport Express via the ethernet port.

From the Apple Airport Express FAQ: "Question: I have a third-party 802.11b/g/n wireless access point. I want to put AirPort Express next to my home theater and stream iTunes to it. Can AirPort Express join the third-party network?
Answer: Yes. AirPort Express can join a third-party network in client mode, or if it is connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on the non-Apple wireless access point."
post #3245 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Liked: 10
Amazon is only selling the 818 through 3rd party, atm.
post #3246 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Liked: 67
Has anybody ordered a rack shelf with a custom faceplate for the 818 yet? I looked at Stayonline for it and it isnt available in the list, theres a lot of other Onkyo's, but not the 818. I imagine it is 5U height? its almost 8 inches high.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #3247 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Just wanted to add my comments on the 818, Have 2 of them now for 3 months and they are fantastic. Upgrading from a 8 year old Rotel, so a lot has changed in technology.

I have one setup in the Entertainment room (attic) with Oppo/XBOX/PS3/Streamer connected to 7.1 Definitive Technology ceiling speakers/SVS Sub and a 64" Samsung Plasma
The other is in the Family room connected to the Cable box/Bluray

Here is some photos showing off the system smile.gif

Pro's
Great Sound
Good remote - setup as a universal was quite easy and works not too bad, but have added a a few Harmony 900's so I could hide all the equipment.
Easy to setup
Great Sound
Doesnt get too warm
Quiet - Compared to my Cisco switch in the same cabinet.
Great Sound

Con's
The DLNA is crap. Very poor implementation of DLNA.
Dynamic Volume - I really wanted this to control the variations in channels/Ads coming from the cable box. Now, either I havent set it up properly, or it really just doesn't work.
Wouldn't bother with any of the network apps, they are really slow. The Oppo seems to have better quality apps, but still think a dedicate streamer or full PC is the best option

Have not noticed video dropouts that some people have.

Just go buy it. Stop sitting on the fence.

post #3248 of 9864 Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Hi All ,

I have had my 818 for a little over a week and I need some help with my sub set up. I have a dual sub set up fed by a single amp that is all ultra 2 rated, with that being said the manual for the amp says that if I have a THX rated receiver that I need to turn the THX setting on the amp to yes this disables the gain control and boundry gain control on the amp and the receiver will control everything when I turn the U2 setting on for the sub control. The issue I am having when you run the Audyssey set up I cant set the db level for the subs because the gain control is disabled and after I run the set up my sub distance is .5 feet and have a -12.5 offset when they are about 13.5 away. If I shut the THX stuff off I get a distance of 24 feet and a -5.5 offset. I would just go with which one sounds better but I want to make sure my set up is right and I am not feeling it right now. Any ideas on how I can get it where it needs to be?

Thanks.
post #3249 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iculookn View Post

Just wanted to add my comments on the 818, Have 2 of them now for 3 months and they are fantastic. Upgrading from a 8 year old Rotel, so a lot has changed in technology.

First that setup and apartment is amazing. Thanks for the recommendation.

My unit is being shipped now and I'm having buyer's remorse because I didn't want to spend even the $650 I got the 818 for on a receiver. Even worse, I'm moving Monday and my new room doesn't have space for 5.1 so I'm probably running 2.1 on this unit.
post #3250 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

I have one setup in the Entertainment room (attic) with Oppo/XBOX/PS3/Streamer connected to 7.1 Definitive Technology ceiling speakers/SVS Sub and a 64" Samsung Plasma
The other is in the Family room connected to the Cable box/Bluray
Here is some photos showing off the system smile.gif
Pro's
Great Sound
Good remote - setup as a universal was quite easy and works not too bad, but have added a a few Harmony 900's so I could hide all the equipment.
Easy to setup
Great Sound
Doesnt get too warm
Quiet - Compared to my Cisco switch in the same cabinet.
Great Sound
Con's
Dynamic Volume - I really wanted this to control the variations in channels/Ads coming from the cable box. Now, either I havent set it up properly, or it really just doesn't work.
Wouldn't bother with any of the network apps, they are really slow. The Oppo seems to have better quality apps, but still think a dedicate streamer or full PC is the best option
Have not noticed video dropouts that some people have.

i agree. dyn vol to me isn't doing anything. i leave it off and have eq on w/ dlo at -10 which seems to do ok. now if you really what to tame the peaks then use dolby volume, but the caveat here is that it turns off the eq for all sources. ie: blu-ray...so when i want to watch one of those i have to go into the set-up menu and turn it back on.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3251 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Do you guys in the US still have problems with loud commercials? Rules according to the CALM act should take effect next Thursday, latest.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3252 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Do you guys in the US still have problems with loud commercials? Rules according to the CALM act should take effect next Thursday, latest.
Yes and the dynamic volume (or whatever it's called) does not work.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3253 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok - just my observations regarding the 1080p/24 'issue'. I only see this when watching Comcast. Nothing else. I have also noticed that when watching a scene from Comcast (I have an HD TiVo) that if the picture does jutter, if I jump back 15 seconds it doesn't jutter. Weird.
I'm not so concerned w/the 24 issue when watching Comcast as much as I would be when watching my Popcorn Hour, 3D BD player or PS3.

post #3254 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Ok - just my observations regarding the 1080p/24 'issue'. I only see this when watching Comcast. Nothing else. I have also noticed that when watching a scene from Comcast (I have an HD TiVo) that if the picture does jutter, if I jump back 15 seconds it doesn't jutter. Weird.
I'm not so concerned w/the 24 issue when watching Comcast as much as I would be when watching my Popcorn Hour, 3D BD player or PS3.

Comcast (or any provider) doesn't transmit anything in 24p.
The only native content in 24p is Bluray.

If you are taking 60p contenet and trying to convert it to 24p, you will most likely get crappy results.
Even top of the line VPs can't do this that well. (and why would you want to since most displays are not native 24p)
post #3255 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

Comcast (or any provider) doesn't transmit anything in 24p.
The only native content in 24p is Bluray.
If you are taking 60p contenet and trying to convert it to 24p, you will most likely get crappy results.
Even top of the line VPs can't do this that well. (and why would you want to since most displays are not native 24p)
I know they don't - never said they did. My point was to the setting for 1080p/24 on this AVR and the jutter issues people have. I have the AVR monitor set to 1080p/24 (the MAIN) which most people don't.

post #3256 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok I do not own the 818 but speaking of 1080/24 on my panasonic bluray player there is an option to set 24 on or off? FYI: Bluray is connceted to my Denon and HDTV.
post #3257 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Ok I do not own the 818 but speaking of 1080/24 on my panasonic bluray player there is an option to set 24 on or off? FYI: Bluray is connceted to my Denon and HDTV.
On.
asere likes this.

post #3258 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

On.

ON-only if your'e set can accurately render 24p. my sharp doesn't so i leave it off it uses 3:2 pulldown instead.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3259 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

I know they don't - never said they did. My point was to the setting for 1080p/24 on this AVR and the jutter issues people have. I have the AVR monitor set to 1080p/24 (the MAIN) which most people don't.

OK.
What I'm saying is that if you keep your display at 24p all of the time, judder is likely with non 24p material regardless of AVR/AVP/VP.
I wouldn't blame the 818 per say. smile.gif
post #3260 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes and the dynamic volume (or whatever it's called) does not work.

It does work but probably not the way you expect it to. Unfortunately you have to live with highly compressed commercials until CALM act is effective. If there's still a problem you can report stations to the FCC.

P.S. Are you sure you're not confusing Dynamic Volume with Dynamic EQ?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3261 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

It does work but probably not the way you expect it to. Unfortunately you have to live with highly compressed commercials until CALM act is effective. If there's still a problem you can report stations to the FCC.
P.S. Are you sure you're not confusing Dynamic Volume with Dynamic EQ?

Yes we could be... so how can you control the varying volume coming from one source. i.e Cable box. (Calm is US only)
post #3262 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Great Sound
Con's

I have to agree with your comments on DLNA. I have gone to pushing iTunes via the Airport Express over DLNA via the wireless network adapter. My problems with DLNA include the very crude file/folder view and inability to properly control sound volume. The last issue is the deal breaker. Even with the receiver set to "min" via the volume control, the sound is unpleasantly loud. Fortunately, the iTunes via Airport Express works seamlessly.
post #3263 of 9864 Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codoug View Post

I have to agree with your comments on DLNA. I have gone to pushing iTunes via the Airport Express over DLNA via the wireless network adapter. My problems with DLNA include the very crude file/folder view and inability to properly control sound volume. The last issue is the deal breaker. Even with the receiver set to "min" via the volume control, the sound is unpleasantly loud. Fortunately, the iTunes via Airport Express works seamlessly.

I have a few different DLNA Servers/Clients around the house and yes, the Onkyo is very poor, but not an issue as I didn't buy it for that purpose. Currently testing Plex on my Samsung 2012 TV, connecting to a QNAP NAS running the plex server. Works surprisingly well. Slight lag on some screens while scrolling, but very usable. Only problem is it wont play ISO files. Plus I now need to work out ACR so the Audio from Plex TV goes back into the 818.

Would be great if Onkyo built a Plex client into the device, but I don't like our chances or the quality will not be up to scratch.
post #3264 of 9864 Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

Has anybody ordered a rack shelf with a custom faceplate for the 818 yet? I looked at Stayonline for it and it isnt available in the list, theres a lot of other Onkyo's, but not the 818. I imagine it is 5U height? its almost 8 inches high.
Option1:

I have found this rack shelf for my Slim 5 rack at B & H Photo for the 818
, Raxxess is made by Chief MFG, the blue print of this rack shelf is here.
This option so far is the cheapest option, unless you find it on ebay....

Option2:
Another option is here, if you own a Middle Atlantic Rack, a Zero Space rack shelf option is available that mounts to the inside of the rack, priced a little more than the other option, but can be found on ebay way cheaper, this option is nice as the shelf can hold over 200 lbs, and it's supported in the front and the rear of the rack, so no worries of it falling, but also you would have to use some washers to " shim " the face plate flush as to the same level of your other face plates, only if you use the flat piece to cover up the phillips head screws, if you don't, then it's ok the way it is.
Specs of the zero space rack shelf is here.

I'm custom cutting my own face plates for all my individual AV components rack shelves, as I have access to a cnc machine.

Here is the link to Middle Atlantics web site that shows how many rack spaces and depths for all brands of AV components, I used the 809 specs of 5U spaces, as the 818 is not listed, same dimensions per spec sheets for height & depth of the receivers.

I may be looking at options of DIY, and seeing what some sheet metal or sheet aluminum would cost and just make my own, but doubt it would be cheaper than option 1.
B & H Photo have very good prices, but you have to pay for shipping, which adds to the cost, look on ebay, look on craigslist, as long as you have some time to look and not need this very second, you can find deals.
Slingblayde likes this.
post #3265 of 9864 Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Sorry for being lazy but I just picked up the 818, it replacing a Classe ssp30 mk2 pre-amp. I'm going to use the 818 as a preamp hooked up to Marantz amps. The first question is the 24fps bug I just read about, is there a fix? maybe using hdmi sub out? bypassing the VP? And how would u bypass it? Sorry for being lazy I just do not have much time to read the whole thread, thanks in advance.

post #3266 of 9864 Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post

The first question is the 24fps bug I just read about, is there a fix?

Not yet. Onkyo is aware of the problem but we don't know if or when they will fix it.

Markus

post #3267 of 9864 Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

maybe using hdmi sub out?

That is the workaround, yes.
post #3268 of 9864 Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
so I can use main out for 60fps content and still enjoy the VP benefits, 720p to 1080p, 1080i to 1080p, and use sub out for 1080p 24fps content?

post #3269 of 9864 Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

so I can use main out for 60fps content and still enjoy the VP benefits, 720p to 1080p, 1080i to 1080p, and use sub out for 1080p 24fps content?

If you are talking about gaming, then you should know that Main is laggy. But if its just 60fps video content, then sure.
post #3270 of 9864 Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Option1:

I have found this rack shelf for my Slim 5 rack at B & H Photo for the 818
, Raxxess is made by Chief MFG, the blue print of this rack shelf is here.
This option so far is the cheapest option, unless you find it on ebay....
Option2:
Another option is here, if you own a Middle Atlantic Rack, a Zero Space rack shelf option is available that mounts to the inside of the rack, priced a little more than the other option, but can be found on ebay way cheaper, this option is nice as the shelf can hold over 200 lbs, and it's supported in the front and the rear of the rack, so no worries of it falling, but also you would have to use some washers to " shim " the face plate flush as to the same level of your other face plates, only if you use the flat piece to cover up the phillips head screws, if you don't, then it's ok the way it is.
Specs of the zero space rack shelf is here.
I'm custom cutting my own face plates for all my individual AV components rack shelves, as I have access to a cnc machine.
Here is the link to Middle Atlantics web site that shows how many rack spaces and depths for all brands of AV components, I used the 809 specs of 5U spaces, as the 818 is not listed, same dimensions per spec sheets for height & depth of the receivers.
I may be looking at options of DIY, and seeing what some sheet metal or sheet aluminum would cost and just make my own, but doubt it would be cheaper than option 1.
B & H Photo have very good prices, but you have to pay for shipping, which adds to the cost, look on ebay, look on craigslist, as long as you have some time to look and not need this very second, you can find deals.

Thanks for the links TheaterChad. I have been keeping an eye on the Detroit area craigslist for shelves, I even posted a Want Ad on there, but havent found anything. I also have the Slim 5 rack, but I dont have any shelves for it at all yet. Things are SO much easier to buy online for someone who lives in the US, being in Canada is a drag, I see so much stuff I could have bought with just a couple clicks and Boom, shipped right to my door. Ebay, CL, Amazon, Kijiji all blow here in Canada. I found a nice set of 24 banana plugs on the US Amazon site, 39 bucks shipped, exact same set of plugs on the Canadian Amazon site, 97 dollars after tax and shipping. Ugh...
I know I will have to bite the bullet and order some and have them shipped to my buddy's house over in Detroit and go pick them up. Its ok, but I dont like doing it too often. I feel guilty having all kindsa stuff shipped to his house.
I too have access to a CNC machine, Ive been running them for the last 26 years lol. I just havent tried to make my own faceplates. Usually when I leave work, I dont like to go back and work on home projects.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page