Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone yet confirmed if the ALAC file playback on the 818 is in fact built-in or if it requires AirPlay or use of a USB/Flash device of some sort? I was also wondering if the music file playback on the 818 supports gapless playback. smile.gif

Thanks!

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

Has anyone yet confirmed if the ALAC file playback on the 818 is in fact built-in or if it requires AirPlay or use of a USB/Flash device of some sort? I was also wondering if the music file playback on the 818 supports gapless playback. smile.gif
Thanks!

I did a when I got my 818..

There is no AirPlay on the 818 at this time.

I use TVMOBiLi without any kind of transcoding on my Mac to stream ALAC from my iTunes library using the 818's DLNA "input."

It works great... and once again let me plug Roberts wonderful oRemote app for iOS.. it makes browsing much quicker and easier... smile.gif

Gapless with this setup I don't know... I'll check for you.
GoldenBoy likes this.
FilmMixer is online now  
post #453 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
MCF34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok...for a $1200 to $1300 reciever, what would you all consider the best among Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz? I see the Denon 3312CI is $1100 MSRP and the 818 is $1300 MSRP. Between these two which would you consider a higher quality reciever? What if we take XT32 out of the equation, then which between 3312CI and 818 do you think is better? See the Denon weighs significantly less than the 818, but perhaps weight isn't everything. What other recievers would you consider at $1200-$1300 that would complete with the 818?

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
MCF34 is offline  
post #454 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjpearce023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Ok...for a $1200 to $1300 reciever, what would you all consider the best among Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz? I see the Denon 3312CI is $1100 MSRP and the 818 is $1300 MSRP. Between these two which would you consider a higher quality reciever? What if we take XT32 out of the equation, then which between 3312CI and 818 do you think is better? See the Denon weighs significantly less than the 818, but perhaps weight isn't everything. What other recievers would you consider at $1200-$1300 that would complete with the 818?

With XT32 it's no contest, I would take the 818. Without XT32 its more of a toss up. The Denon has airplay but the 818 has dolby volume and better video processing. I have the 3311 and it's a solid receiver but I will probably upgrade to the 818 this year. It depends how cheap the 4311 gets because I would rather have it because my Denons have been very dependable and the 4311 has Subeq HT.
mjpearce023 is offline  
post #455 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Ok...for a $1200 to $1300 reciever, what would you all consider the best among Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz? I see the Denon 3312CI is $1100 MSRP and the 818 is $1300 MSRP. Between these two which would you consider a higher quality reciever? What if we take XT32 out of the equation, then which between 3312CI and 818 do you think is better? See the Denon weighs significantly less than the 818, but perhaps weight isn't everything. What other recievers would you consider at $1200-$1300 that would complete with the 818?

The Denon 4311 is the most likely comparison unit as it offers many of the same features of the 818 but also has airplay and a few other things like sub-eq.

I would politely ask that we not get too far off topic with this, you can always start a "what's the best bang for the buck in $900-$1300 AVR" thread rather than having this one get too far off the rails.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #456 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
MCF34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

With XT32 it's no contest, I would take the 818. Without XT32 its more of a toss up. The Denon has airplay but the 818 has dolby volume and better video processing. I have the 3311 and it's a solid receiver but I will probably upgrade to the 818 this year. It depends how cheap the 4311 gets because I would rather have it because my Denons have been very dependable and the 4311 has Subeq HT.

I agree the fact that Onkyo hasn't incorporated airplay does bother me a bit, but I can always add Apple TV and get airplay and then some for $99.......

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
MCF34 is offline  
post #457 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjpearce023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

I agree the fact that Onkyo hasn't incorporated airplay does bother me a bit, but I can always add Apple TV and get airplay and then some for $99.......

Honestly I don't even use it on my 3311 because the Apple TV is much better.
mjpearce023 is offline  
post #458 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

I agree the fact that Onkyo hasn't incorporated airplay does bother me a bit, but I can always add Apple TV and get airplay and then some for $99.......
The fact that they did not include Airplay bothers me to no end. I already have a couple Apple TV's and wanted the audio integration. Since receivers that cost $399 have Airplay, im not sure why Onkyo couldnt add it to this amazing receiver?
Andrew P is offline  
post #459 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

possibly because they didn't want to pay the licensing fee...

likely the same reason they chose not to include sub eq... they built to a price point (like every other cem), and it didn't "fit" in the cost of materials to get to that price point....

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #460 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I did a when I got my 818..
There is no AirPlay on the 818 at this time.
I use TVMOBiLi without any kind of transcoding on my Mac to stream ALAC from my iTunes library using the 818's DLNA "input."
It works great... and once again let me plug Roberts wonderful oRemote app for iOS.. it makes browsing much quicker and easier... smile.gif
Gapless with this setup I don't know... I'll check for you.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I look forward for your results on the gapless playback I've been using my Oppo BDP-93 over DLNA and the lack of gapless support drives me nuts. Playing Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto and Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On is painful! tongue.gif

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #461 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Can ATV be run to Zone 2? I'm guessing it needs an analog output for that.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #462 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

The fact that they did not include Airplay bothers me to no end. I already have a couple Apple TV's and wanted the audio integration. Since receivers that cost $399 have Airplay, im not sure why Onkyo couldnt add it to this amazing receiver?

We should revisit this question later this year... Like In October. For now, it's better to assume rhere's no AirPlay support.
rworne is offline  
post #463 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

We should revisit this question later this year... Like In October. For now, it's better to assume rhere's no AirPlay support.
Unfortunately I need to buy in the next month. Ill probably go with a Denon, but I really wanted to stay with Onkyo. Have owned them for the last 10 years.
Andrew P is offline  
post #464 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Member
 
JackBarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received my 818 and got it set up over the week-end. It replaced an Onkyo PR-SC885 which fed a Conrad Johnson's 5 channel MF-5600 amp and an Aragon 4004 amp drove the Woofer Towers of my Infinity IRS Betas. I am using the 818 as a pre-amp just as I used the 885 pre-amp.

To say that I was impressed is a gross understatement. The system displays much more bass that is cleaner and tighter, the highs are higher, clearer and more refined and overall the sound seems more dynamic and alive, as if, a cover has been removed. These observations are coming off a system before adding the 818 that sounded to me and others outstanding. I really can't overstate the improvement, it dwarfs any incremental improvement that I have made over the years by any upgrade even when I replace my Infinity IRS IIb with the Infinity Betas! The incremental cost of replacing the Onkyo Pre-Amp was a pittance, needless to say I am more than delighted!

Not only that, the video from Direct TV is noticeably improved, particularly the upscaled versions of some of the programs that Direct TV provides that are not 1080i. My elation is not even giving due, to all the other bells and whistles that have been added since the 885 was introduced. Onkyo has hit a home run regardless of price point.
rbln63 likes this.
JackBarry is offline  
post #465 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjpearce023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Can ATV be run to Zone 2? I'm guessing it needs an analog output for that.

You would need an optical to analog converter to use appleTV in zone 2. They sell a bunch of different ones on amazon.
mjpearce023 is offline  
post #466 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
MCF34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBarry View Post

I just received my 818 and got it set up over the week-end. It replaced an Onkyo PR-SC885 which fed a Conrad Johnson's 5 channel MF-5600 amp and an Aragon 4004 amp drove the Woofer Towers of my Infinity IRS Betas. I am using the 818 as a pre-amp just as I used the 885 pre-amp.
To say that I was impressed is a gross understatement. The system displays much more bass that is cleaner and tighter, the highs are higher, clearer and more refined and overall the sound seems more dynamic and alive, as if, a cover has been removed. These observations are coming off a system before adding the 818 that sounded to me and others outstanding. I really can't overstate the improvement, it dwarfs any incremental improvement that I have made over the years by any upgrade even when I replace my Infinity IRS IIb with the Infinity Betas! The incremental cost of replacing the Onkyo Pre-Amp was a pittance, needless to say I am more than delighted!
Not only that, the video from Direct TV is noticeably improved, particularly the upscaled versions of some of the programs that Direct TV provides that are not 1080i. My elation is not even giving due, to all the other bells and whistles that have been added since the 885 was introduced. Onkyo has hit a home run regardless of price point.

Glad to hear u like it? Is your enthusiasm after running Audyssey or just manually calibrating??

Also, I assume with Apple TV u can do everything with the Onkyo the Denons do with their airplay, correct? Thanks.

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
MCF34 is offline  
post #467 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question, while Audyssey is on, is it at all possible to use the manual EQ to "tweek" my frequency response?

While running all 11 speakers and 4 subs, the FR looks very good. I did have to EQ the subs a little more then Audyssey did. It would be great if I can adjust each speaker's EQ for a smoother FR. I didn't really see it in the manual but I'll look again.


161

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #468 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

Unfortunately I need to buy in the next month. Ill probably go with a Denon, but I really wanted to stay with Onkyo. Have owned them for the last 10 years.

Andrew as I mentioned in some of my earlier posts you can stream iTunes content from a Mac using a DONA server..

You can then use any one of the apps to control the library..

But for me at these prices I don't know why anyone wouldn't consider adding an AppleTV especially considering the remote codes are pre programmed into the Onkyo remote already..... and.the Apple TV integration is way faster than any AirPlay I've tried yet on a receiver..
FilmMixer is online now  
post #469 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Quick question, while Audyssey is on, is it at all possible to use the manual EQ to "tweek" my frequency response?
While running all 11 speakers and 4 subs, the FR looks very good. I did have to EQ the subs a little more then Audyssey did. It would be great if I can adjust each speaker's EQ for a smoother FR. I didn't really see it in the manual but I'll look again.
161

How are you able to run 11 speakers with the 818? I thought it could only handle up to 9?

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is online now  
post #470 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

How are you able to run 11 speakers with the 818? I thought it could only handle up to 9?

I run 2 sets of side surrounds for the front seats and back seats.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #471 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
T100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I replaced an 805 for the 818 yesterday and ran audyssey this morning and impressed with the results, much cleaner sound and the sub was tighter and smoother. Guys the speakers I'm using are mono-price cheap "o" and a velodyne entry level sub URL=http://www.avsforum.com/image/id/668860/width/600/height/450]450[/URL]450450
T100 is offline  
post #472 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
T100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my rears. 450450450
T100 is offline  
post #473 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Member
 
joshua.jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post

I replaced an 805 for the 818 yesterday and ran audyssey this morning and impressed with the results, much cleaner sound and the sub was tighter and smoother. Guys the speakers I'm using are mono-price cheap "o" and a velodyne entry level sub.
450
Great to know...I'm about to buy some Monoprice 8" speakers and an Epik Legend for my 7.1.
Nice to hear that I'll have nothing to worry about.

PS - What's with the subwoofer foam hat?
joshua.jones is offline  
post #474 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
MCF34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When you ran Audyssey did you run all 8 points or just 1? I have actually been advised by a professional installer that more often than not they use only one reading at the MLP to get the absolute best sound there instead of compromising sound for many positions. Thoughts?

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
MCF34 is offline  
post #475 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
T100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran all 8, I also have an theater room with an Integra 80.2 with dual subs. I would advise you to run all 8, this unit seem to run them faster than my 80.2 did and it went pretty quick. The sound is really pretty awesome and very happy with the results, and need more time to play with the settings in it. Here's the upstairs room. 450
T100 is offline  
post #476 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
T100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PS - What's with the subwoofer foam hat? I found it kept corner boom down and had a bunch of them left over. That's a subdude under the sub.
T100 is offline  
post #477 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Member
 
The Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These pictures of folks systems evoke a sense of envy in me all the while urging me to do as well with my room's set up. Thanks!

It seems that this particular receiver has inspired more than a few people with the possibility of what it can do for the sake of their enjoyment of music and film. Nothing wrong at all with that.

Mine may arrive tomorrow and my son and I will set it up this Saturday.
The Scott is offline  
post #478 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I say run Audyssey for each seat. You want the best sound for all seats, not just one.

The same apply to subwoofers too. I have 4 subwoofers I could co-locate to gain 4-6db of headroom but I have 2 front and center and 2 in the back center for the best room response. This is so all seat have the best bass possible and are only 1-2db difference between seats.

I just don't like the idea of one person in my theater getting great sound and another person getting ok sound.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #479 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
MCF34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^^
But my wife wouldn't be able to tell ok sound from great sound so why don't I get the most benefit....hehehehehe.......

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
MCF34 is offline  
post #480 of 9932 Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

When you ran Audyssey did you run all 8 points or just 1? I have actually been advised by a professional installer that more often than not they use only one reading at the MLP to get the absolute best sound there instead of compromising sound for many positions. Thoughts?

that would be poor advice...

keep in mind that measurements subsequent to the first aren't really "optimizing other seats"... they are giving audyssey more information about your room to work with...

join us in the audyssey thread for more info....

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off