Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post

And it was you who said wrong about the resistance

Where?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

One other question... new 818 or Crutchfield open box 3009 for $1300?

How many subs do you have?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Where?

Here
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Look out for flash sales on the tx-nr818, as it has sometimes dipped as low as $599 for a brief window, and can mostly found for around $749-$799 from authorized dealers like J&R and B&H. You need to first decide between the features that are important for you, and then see which model offers the best fit for your money. Good luck!

I just did a price check . I never knew Home Depot carried Onkyo!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203897307?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=onkyo&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203897307
Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post

Here

Ups, that was a typing error. Should have been obvious by reading the links I've provided. I've changed the original post.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

How many subs do you have?

I just got my new 818 from Amazon I got a used like New I think it was an open box $720 this thing came in in the original box doesn't even appear to be used at all the only thing was there was no batteries for the remote I was pissed tongue.gif just kidding. Took me about 45 minutes to update firmware using a thumb drive very easy. Updated fine. This thing is a lot heavier then the 616 it's replacing and its about 4inches deeper into my cabinet a little snug I think tomorrow I'll cut some of the back out of the cabinet to give it more breathing room. Right now I have it set up with two subs and front highs. highs In hooking to see how I like this as my room is narrow. This thing sound so good I ran the full Audyssey Took about twenty min.
I'm not sure if I will even hook up the surround back to make it 9.2 that will be another project.

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

I just did a price check . I never knew Home Depot carried Onkyo!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203897307?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=onkyo&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203897307

How did you do this price search?
Thanks, Rick
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Ups, that was a typing error. Should have been obvious by reading the links I've provided. I've changed the original post.

Now you see why I thought I was in the twilight zone. wink.gif At first I thought it was a typo too, then you doubled down with more links! It's all good.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Well...I finally pulled the trigger. My receiver should be here in by next week. Didn't get it at the lowest price...and I know it will go lower but $740 bucks shipped isn't too bad. I bought it with the Amex card so got the extend protection that way. I called Amex and everything to verify that everything would be covered.

I have 4 new speakers coming and need something worthy to drive them. With a FV15HP sub...I need good room EQ to integrate it all.

The only thing that seemed close to the 818 was the Denon 4311CI which was another 400 bucks. I was looking really hard at the 2113CI ... I know that it is hard to compare the 2113CI to the 818, but for me the largest function difference was only the XT vs the XT 32.

I don't need zones. A ton of power only gives a little more sound...diminishing returns. I really wish the 818 had Sub EQ but I can cope for 400 bucks.

Anyway...will review when it gets here. I am upgrading from entry level 4 year old Yamaha...so huge difference.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

Thanks, Rick

I just used the Google shopping search.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
Now that I've successfully upgraded the FW, do I set the HDMI to source and the Picture adjust>Resolution to direct?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question... What is the "sound characteristic" associated with Onkyo specifically the 818.

I do know this is a little bit controversal of a question because many people believe that all receives are neutral until they start becoming distorted then can appear to give a warm or dark or ...different sonic signature.

In general, it seems Denon are associated with being "warm" ...I have heard Onkyo sometimes has being "dark"... now depending on how you take these ...it can be good or bad, but was just wondering what people generally classified Onkyo as?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Rick

I use Nextag and they send you e-mail notices when there's a price reduction.

http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/ProductM.jsp?product=949786372&doSearch=n&search=radar_product_click_52524&page=1000&palertInstId=423610720&el_id=9&adcr=radar_product_click_52524
Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Now that I've successfully upgraded the FW, do I set the HDMI to source and the Picture adjust>Resolution to direct?

It's really up to you. In theory Direct means that the signal should behave like it's not even passing through the Onkyo (with obvious exception of overlay graphics). I don't see how you can go wrong with that, if you are using the 818 as a switcher and not trying to use any of the VP capabilities. I haven't seen any obvious difference between between Direct and other modes, but I've done only minimal testing with all quality 1080p content... so I wouldn't expect to see much. This is with the 24fps firmware.

My understanding is 24fps is treated correctly in all modes now, not just Direct. I haven't tested this personally... maybe will this weekend.

I am interested in audio delay (compared to a video baseline) between the various modes. If there is a difference, it's small. I really need some measuring equipment, but don't have anything.

Post what works best for you.

I've been running HDMI Out = Both and Direct for main
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Quick question... What is the "sound characteristic" associated with Onkyo specifically the 818.

I do know this is a little bit controversal of a question because many people believe that all receives are neutral until they start becoming distorted then can appear to give a warm or dark or ...different sonic signature.

In general, it seems Denon are associated with being "warm" ...I have heard Onkyo sometimes has being "dark"... now depending on how you take these ...it can be good or bad, but was just wondering what people generally classified Onkyo as?

Hey Newbie...

My gut feeling is that question doesn't apply much in the "modern" world with DSP controlled equalization. Well, it would apply for people running in pure audio mode, but I've not heard much talk about that.

Ready to be shot down, if others disagree wink.gif
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Rick

Wow! Home Depot starting an end-to-end home theater business? From the wood to the Receiver?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

It's really up to you. In theory Direct means that the signal should behave like it's not even passing through the Onkyo (with obvious exception of overlay graphics). I don't see how you can go wrong with that, if you are using the 818 as a switcher and not trying to use any of the VP capabilities. I haven't seen any obvious difference between between Direct and other modes, but I've done only minimal testing with all quality 1080p content... so I wouldn't expect to see much. This is with the 24fps firmware.

My understanding is 24fps is treated correctly in all modes now, not just Direct. I haven't tested this personally... maybe will this weekend.

I am interested in audio delay (compared to a video baseline) between the various modes. If there is a difference, it's small. I really need some measuring equipment, but don't have anything.

Post what works best for you.

I've been running HDMI Out = Both and Direct for main

That's what I'm curious about, if it now automatically defaults to 24p in other modes. I like to use custom to get a little edge enhancement and use the noise reductions, which aren't available in direct.

*I recently got the 'Godfather' trilogy, I'll try it out later.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

That's what I'm curious about, if it now automatically defaults to 24p in other modes. I like to use custom to get a little edge enhancement and use the noise reductions, which aren't available in direct.

*I recently got the 'Godfather' trilogy, I'll try it out later.

Thanks.

I did a test with Custom mode rather than Direct, and it passed.

I used the Disney WOW calibration disc's AV sync pattern. It has a line than keeps turning around 360 degrees, making it good to catch the hiccup. I didn't see the hiccup...
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I am confused again then... Why does everyone ask if X speakers will pair with Y receiver? I know there is some debate on this...but it seemed that people generally believed that Denon is "warm" and Onkyo is slightly "dark" or "neutral".

My head hurts!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I recycled my demon AVR 1905 using it as an external amp now I'm running 9.2 front highs and surround back. I have a narrow room so I have the front highs right above left and right front speakers which I have them wide close to each side wall.
All I needed to do was add the high speakers so the AVR Worked great. I had this receiver before upgraded everything when 3D came along.

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Additional data from a fellow AVS member. Denon 4250, center channel, crossover was found to be 60Hz:

From top to bottom:
- In-room response at listening position with Audyssey off
- MultEQ filter measured at preamp output
- In-room response at listening position with Audyssey on
Speaker was set to Full Range before measurements have been taken.

Looks like corrections below the -3dB point do not gradually stop.

Markus

Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBS313 View Post

I've had this receiver for about two months now. I love it. Main reason I purchased it was for the XT32 and it has done wonders for the overall SQ of my system.

One issue I am having is a popping sound in all channels when I power on my gear. It happens almost every time. I've never had this issue with previous receivers. Called Onkyo. They had me do a factory reset. It hasn't stopped. I don't think it's a ground loop issue cause I've never had ground loop issues. I don't think the popping is damaging my speakers in any way.

I'm running def tech 7004's. CLR2002. SM 450's. Dual SVS PB12's. Ising the 818 as a pre/pro into an Emotiva XPA-3 and two UPA-2's.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to send the unit in for service.

I have the pop as well, using XPA3. Only the speakers attached to it make the pop.

There is also a hissing sound if receiver is off and then amp(XPA3) is left on.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

After doing research for 4 months plus... I think almost everyone can agree the 818 has the most bang for the buck of any receiver on the market today. Their are only two negatives associated with this product: 1) 24p problem which is fixed or going to be fixed via firmware and 2) reliability issues.

I am about to pull the trigger on this receiver... I almost never get extended warranty. In the case of the Onkyo 818 is it worth it to get a 2 or 3 year extended warranty. How many people actually have had a problem with these and how much is over blown internet chatter?

$65 dollars for 2 years and $90 dollars for 3 years... I know its all a calculated risk. Just asking all here if they think given the supposedly reliability problems this tips the scales towards a Yes?

I get extended warranty for all my onkyo since the 707's

Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

From the European site...

TX-NR818
(Version 1120-8103-0101-0000)

Improves picture output of 1080p/24 sources
Improves the playback stability of FLAC files via Network/USB.
Corrects the sound leak issue between Main and powered Zone2/3 when activating Powered Zones.

sound leak issue? anyone know what they are talking about?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did the update wipe off the prior configuration customizations (Audyssey, I/O mapping, etc.)? IOW, did you have to rerun the initial setup as if the receiver were set back to factory defaults? Thanks!

I lost all settings, have to get it all setup again.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Why? It's never been a problem for me.

Mine will not get a DHCP IP, I have to use static.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Why? It's never been a problem for me.

Mine will not get a DHCP IP, I have to use static.

Mine DHCP's just fine. I'm hardwired in. Router config issue maybe???
Old 03-02-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Additional data from a fellow AVS member. Denon 4250, center channel, crossover was found to be 60Hz:

From top to bottom:
- In-room response at listening position with Audyssey off
- MultEQ filter measured at preamp output
- In-room response at listening position with Audyssey on
Speaker was set to Full Range before measurements have been taken.

Looks like corrections below the -3dB point do not gradually stop.

I thought this was a TX-NR 818 owners thread my center speaker calibrated 80Hz

Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

I lost all settings, have to get it all setup again.

Hmm... Since i asked that question, i why ahead and updated the receiver, and it didn't wipe off my prior settings. Everything is as was configured before the update. FWIW
Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Hmm... Since i asked that question, i why ahead and updated the receiver, and it didn't wipe off my prior settings. Everything is as was configured before the update. FWIW

same here...everything was left untouched....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread