Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
For anyone with a Harmony remote I used kBarnes advice on setting up a separate cmd for Zone2 to turn the 12v trigger on/off. It worked flawlessly.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/4110#post_22804479
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

i used the CD in on my Denon AVR-1905 as a pre in from external amp of the 818 at first i thought that it wasn't going to work because i didn't hear any test tones, then i turned up the volume on the Denon AVR-1905 so i could hear them at the same level as my front L/R then i ran Audyssey in 8 position this works great. 9.2 i love this receiver

Sweet, out shopping today for speakers, listened to a paradigm mini-monitor set up, sounded great for my budget.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 33
NETWORK IP NOT STICKING for more than a week or two?!

I've had problems with the TX-NR818 since day one with obtaining a network address. I even bought a 2nd new one and it had the same exact problem so it must be a firmware problem as I've seen other post network problems also. I have the unit connected via a Gig WIRED connection.

I have looked at the log from my router and can see the Onkyo requesting a DHCP address, the DHCP server send the address but the Onkyo only accepts it about once out of every several hundred times... thus it can take hours for an address to stick with the Onkyo. Usually it take me unplugging the power and re-plugging several times.

I have tried putting in a Static IP in the Onkyo and that NEVER WORKS.

I'm a 15 vet of the computer industry and consulted for many fortune 500 companies - I say this just to let you know I understand TCP/IP & networking VERY well.

I called Onkyo support 3 times - they are useless. They made me update firmware and reset. Then they said they would escalate to Level 2 and call me back in 2 days... they never did - it has been WEEKS!

Does anyone else have this problem - or know a solution?

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne, 110" DIY Screen, BenQ W1070, Z-Wave/Insteon/Vera automation
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

I've had problems with the TX-NR818 since day one with obtaining a network address. I even bought a 2nd new one and it had the same exact problem so it must be a firmware problem as I've seen other post network problems also. I have the unit connected via a Gig WIRED connection.

I have looked at the log from my router and can see the Onkyo requesting a DHCP address, the DHCP server send the address but the Onkyo only accepts it about once out of every several hundred times... thus it can take hours for an address to stick with the Onkyo. Usually it take me unplugging the power and re-plugging several times.

I'm a 15 vet of the computer industry and consulted for many fortune 500 companies - I say this just to let you know I understand TCP/IP & networking VERY well.

I called Onkyo support 3 times - they are useless. They made me update firmware and reset. Then they said they would escalate to Level 2 and call me back in 2 days... they never did - it has been WEEKS!

This disappoints me greatly. I am coming off of an 807 with several issues, one of which, is the NET feature is non-functional. It has hampered multiple attempts as a reasonable network music player.
I had purchased the unit specifically for the NET feature. I run all static IP's in my home network, just to keep everything straight. I have complained many times to Onkyo, the BBB, and here, that I have a better grasp of networking and net code than the entire Onkyo support staff. Their "support" is abysmal.
I had the HDMI board failure, and after receiving mine back after the repair, the NET loses connection to my network after every shut down, and I have no component switching. Onkyo offered a refurb'ed 818 as a replacement. I was more concerned of getting someone else's "junk" than I was of the NET feature still broken. C'mon! Really? it has been 4 years since the 807 came out!

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

This disappoints me greatly. I am coming off of an 807 with several issues, one of which, is the NET feature is non-functional. It has hampered multiple attempts as a reasonable network music player.
I had purchased the unit specifically for the NET feature. I run all static IP's in my home network, just to keep everything straight. I have complained many times to Onkyo, the BBB, and here, that I have a better grasp of networking and net code than the entire Onkyo support staff. Their "support" is abysmal.
I had the HDMI board failure, and after receiving mine back after the repair, the NET loses connection to my network after every shut down, and I have no component switching. Onkyo offered a refurb'ed 818 as a replacement. I was more concerned of getting someone else's "junk" than I was of the NET feature still broken. C'mon! Really? it has been 4 years since the 807 came out!

i deal with this from time to time. unplugging for 10 seconds as far better to me than the previous receivers i had before going to the 818. Pioneer 1022-K kept dropping video, Yamaha 573 could not get any network features to work except Airplay and Denon 2313 fried in a week.

I'm more upset the the WD Live TV I bought to pick up the 818's Net slack had the latest firmware break my ability to play FLAC via dlna.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Has anyone run the sub-outs of this receiver into a behringer ep2500/4000 ? I'm curious if the sub preouts have enough voltage or if I have to use something to boost the signal before driving the behringer.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

turn off the HDMI control

lol was looking at your HT pix and the last time I saw such an elaborate fence was when I was visiting Jurassic park biggrin.gif

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. When playing a BluRay that is in DTS 7.1 audio and run to my NR818 HDMI is only shows as receiving 5.1 in and 9.1 out! Is there something missing here? I spoke to a tech at Onkyo and his answer did not really answer the question. Also has anyone had an issue with the 818 volume fluctuating almost like a partial mute during use on all inputs?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Eh that stinks. ::knock on wood:: I haven't had any issues with mine being hardwired. Kinda odd being two in a row doing it as well. frown.gif
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

take the 818 refurb and then sell it off and get something else...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

take the 818 refurb and then sell it off and get something else...

That is one of my options that I have been seriously considering....

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

AlI can say is that it is not normal. My 818 is one of the first units shipped and it's never had a problem getting an IP address. I have mine on DHCP, but the router always assigns it the same IP address.

I'd make sure I was running the latest firmware. The firmware that the early receivers in 2012 had would cause periodic resets. My 818 never showed this, but the 616 I had before it would reset. If yours is doing this, you'd likely see the source input mysteriously change from what you remembered. The 818 (and other 2012 models) have been the most stable Onkyos I've seen yet as far as the network goes.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3110 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Has anyone run the sub-outs of this receiver into a behringer ep2500/4000 ? I'm curious if the sub preouts have enough voltage or if I have to use something to boost the signal before driving the behringer.

This link should help:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/35677-gain-structure-home-theater-getting-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

I have to be doing something wrong...

So I ran Audyssey in 8 positions. I saved saved it. I adjusted the speakers....

You've adjusted the speakers after running Audyssey? How and why?
Quote:

However, every time I switch to BluRay, TV etc I have to hit the "q" button on the remote and apply the speaker program again. I have Stereo One for Movies and Stereo Two for Music but I keep having to apply these to the same output devices.

Is this normal?

What is "the speaker program"? What exactly are you doing?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Sorry I was referring to things by memory ...

Basically there is a setting called "Sound Program" that that is selectable by input device when I hit the "Q" setup button on my remote. I hit this button, select my input then select my Sound Program.

When I went to the Home Button > Audio Adjust > 7. Sound Program Edit -- I set up Sound Program (Stereo Source One) for Movies and (Stereo Source Two) for Music.

When I go to my blu ray player I have to always go to Q > Sound Program > and set this to Stereo Source One...it always goes away.

Same with TV and other inputs...

My understanding if I dont set the Sound Program than Audyssey is not being applied... Is this wrong? I know it sounds different when I set it. Under the Sound Program I have a chance to set Audyssey to Movie or Music...

I must be doing something "wrong" to have to set this every time...?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

You mean Setup > Audio > Audio Program? Switch to off.
Audyssey has to be set only once by running the full calibration setup. Then configure all other inputs like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/2880#post_22577065
Switch the AVR off and on again for the settings to take effect. You don't need to change anything later on.

Markus

Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Newbie,

Concerning "Sound Program" it clearly states that when you change inputs it goes go back to OFF.

Page 52 in the manual;

Sound Program
􀁠Stereo Source 1, Stereo Source 2, Stereo Source 3,
Multich Source 1, Multich Source 2, Multich
Source 3
􀁠Off
With this setting, you can select the combination of
settings that you registered in “Sound Program Edit”
(➔ page 66).
Note
• If the input selector is changed, the “Sound Program” setting is
switched back to “Off”.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:

Sorry I was referring to things by memory ...

Basically there is a setting called "Sound Program" that that is selectable by input device when I hit the "Q" setup button on my remote. I hit this button, select my input then select my Sound Program.

When I went to the Home Button > Audio Adjust > 7. Sound Program Edit -- I set up Sound Program (Stereo Source One) for Movies and (Stereo Source Two) for Music.

When I go to my blu ray player I have to always go to Q > Sound Program > and set this to Stereo Source One...it always goes away.

Same with TV and other inputs...

My understanding if I dont set the Sound Program than Audyssey is not being applied... Is this wrong? I know it sounds different when I set it. Under the Sound Program I have a chance to set Audyssey to Movie or Music...

I must be doing something "wrong" to have to set this every time...?

not clear on what your asking. the "Q" ON THE SET UP BUTTON is a quick set up but in order for the receiver to remember the listening mode you have to go to home and have it set up in the set up menu in listening mode and have it set to last valid.
it all boils down to reading the manual it's seems nobody reads instructions
so what i'm saying when you use the quick set up it only holds it till you change source or the receiver is shut off then it goes off or back to what you have set up in the home set up. hope i'm making it clearer for you

DEN Atmos Samsung UN55JS8500 4K TV/Roku4/ Onkyo TX-NR 747 5.2.2 Atmos/DTS:X. Polk Audio OWM3 Speakers / top middle on Ceiling / Directv Genie / Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Living Room Atmos Samsung PN60E8000 + SEK2000 / Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

"Q" is the "Setup" button on the remote. Newbie01's question has already been answered bargervais.

Markus

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can't believe Onkyo still hasn't addressed the issue with the lack of gapless playback and audio dropouts while using the "Home Media" option from an NAS to playback high-res files. rolleyes.gif I can't figure out what is going on with some folks and the high frequency distortions, though. I had this issue the first couple times through running Audyssey, but changing the mic positioning from the standard recommended spots to something lower actually cleared that all up. Perhaps Onkyo is shipping some defective gear and not admitting this? My room is by no means perfect acoustically -- barely rectangular and very low ceiling, so it is a tough one to correct for. Still, the 818 yields far better, more balanced results than my previous 805. I could never use Audyssey on the 805, it just wouldn't work at all.

I might add that Denon managed to add gapless playback to their AVRs and Oppo has now added DSD 5.1 playback support to their 103 and 105, so the 818's networking and file support seriously sucks and is no longer looking so advanced. DSD stereo-only, dropouts, incorrect file order (in Home Media mode), no gapless. There's really no wonder they never launched their e-Onkyo service in the U.S.It was SUPPOSED to launch here in ~November 2012, but they have no AVR up to the task. biggrin.gif

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
TheaterByte

Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

"Q" is the "Setup" button on the remote. Newbie01's question has already been answered bargervais.
sorry man i stand corrected sorry for trying to say anything Markus767

DEN Atmos Samsung UN55JS8500 4K TV/Roku4/ Onkyo TX-NR 747 5.2.2 Atmos/DTS:X. Polk Audio OWM3 Speakers / top middle on Ceiling / Directv Genie / Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Living Room Atmos Samsung PN60E8000 + SEK2000 / Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 64
" I can't figure out what is going on with some folks and the high frequency distortions, though. I had this issue the first couple times through running Audyssey, but changing the mic positioning from the standard recommended spots to something lower actually cleared that all up."

I had the high frequency boost until I changed the mic position from the recommended ear height (which put it just barely above the chair back) to a couple of inches higher so that there were no reflections from the two heavily stuffed La-Z-Boy chairs in the middle of the room.

It also gave me more balanced speaker level settings. Before, it always set the right speakers, 7.1 wide's, 1 1/2-2 dB higher than the left, which was puzzling as the room is identical on all side/front/back walls with no other furniture other than the 2 chairs. Now, all my speakers are at the same level and the sound is perfectly balanced with no harshness at all and the clearest, tightest bass that I've ever had from Audyssey, MultEQ in the 707, and now XT32.

I was obsessed with trying all sorts of remedies, speaker height, toe-in/out, etc. and would run the calibration daily with no improvement...until, just raising the mic solved all my problems and I haven't messed with it in over a month.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

" I can't figure out what is going on with some folks and the high frequency distortions, though. I had this issue the first couple times through running Audyssey, but changing the mic positioning from the standard recommended spots to something lower actually cleared that all up."

I had the high frequency boost until I changed the mic position from the recommended ear height (which put it just barely above the chair back) to a couple of inches higher so that there were no reflections from the two heavily stuffed La-Z-Boy chairs in the middle of the room.

For me, it was lowering it that did the trick, because my front speakers, Tannoy Sensys wide-bands, sit very low, and my surround back speakers sit very high in comparison to the front and surrounds. I think it was compensating too much, be it due to reflections or distance, whatever. It was resulting in too much highs coming from the front. I loathe having to go through this experience again, but I will have to, because I will be adding two of my old Tannoy Mercury Mx1s as front height speakers for a 9.1 system. frown.gif
Quote:
It also gave me more balanced speaker level settings. Before, it always set the right speakers, 7.1 wide's, 1 1/2-2 dB higher than the left, which was puzzling as the room is identical on all side/front/back walls with no other furniture other than the 2 chairs. Now, all my speakers are at the same level and the sound is perfectly balanced with no harshness at all and the clearest, tightest bass that I've ever had from Audyssey, MultEQ in the 707, and now XT32.

I was obsessed with trying all sorts of remedies, speaker height, toe-in/out, etc. and would run the calibration daily with no improvement...until, just raising the mic solved all my problems and I haven't messed with it in over a month.

Yep, I've never had tighter based and a more well defined soundstage. All issues with the high frequencies are gone

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
TheaterByte

Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

I understand Q button

Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

Can't believe Onkyo still hasn't addressed the issue with the lack of gapless playback and audio dropouts while using the "Home Media" option from an NAS to playback high-res files. rolleyes.gif I can't figure out what is going on with some folks and the high frequency distortions, though. I had this issue the first couple times through running Audyssey, but changing the mic positioning from the standard recommended spots to something lower actually cleared that all up. Perhaps Onkyo is shipping some defective gear and not admitting this? My room is by no means perfect acoustically -- barely rectangular and very low ceiling, so it is a tough one to correct for. Still, the 818 yields far better, more balanced results than my previous 805. I could never use Audyssey on the 805, it just wouldn't work at all.

I might add that Denon managed to add gapless playback to their AVRs and Oppo has now added DSD 5.1 playback support to their 103 and 105, so the 818's networking and file support seriously sucks and is no longer looking so advanced. DSD stereo-only, dropouts, incorrect file order (in Home Media mode), no gapless. There's really no wonder they never launched their e-Onkyo service in the U.S.It was SUPPOSED to launch here in ~November 2012, but they have no AVR up to the task. biggrin.gif

The lack of gapless playback sucks, but more-so, the whole media player is pretty crappy. Sound is great, but delays between tracks, horrible media browsing and a generally poor user interface have pushed me to use an external media player (squeezebox touch), but I'm forced to use analog inputs for multizone. I have not tried the competition, so I don't know if other AVR mfrs are doing much better, but if this is the best Onkyo can do, they should just buy/license a player from someone else. It's a big negative in an otherwise great AVR.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

I am...

I have one sub out going to the input on a Behringer DCX2496 and from there to three EP-4000 amps driving a total of 5 subs with no problems. In the past, I used both sub outs to two EP-4000 amps without the DCX2496 in the path and had no problems with the signal...
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have network standby enabled and a network extender. The IP address for the Onkyo was refreshed and for some reason the Onkyo did not refresh this information. I disabled the Network Standby feature, powered down the Onkyo and then restarted. After the initialization of the Onkyo the IP address refreshed and I was back online.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I guess no one has an answer r has encountered the issue a asked about above.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake608 View Post

Did you check your settings on your blu ray player my 818 always shows it correctly what ever the source is.
You may have a 7.1 disk but it may only be outputting 5.1 check your set up on the disk may be that 7.1 is greyed out. Just a thought.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake608 View Post

can we get a little info about your setup?

how many speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
taboola here