post #31 of 9892 Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

And Amazon has 3 in stock. My wife's going to shoot me. I will blame this on you if I can't hold out.

Many wives "slap" me in public.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 9892 Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi new here. Any idea suggestion on what kind of speaker to used with this AV?

Thinking of MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System but it's only 5.1 speaker system. I thougt of adding 2 more but is there a better option?

Thanks all.
post #33 of 9892 Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
joerod,

I love Onkyo AVR's and I have one in my system right now. However, the company does have a reputation for poor reliability (mine caused me to learn how to solder) which is kinda pushing me towards a Denon for my next upgrade even though the bang-for-the-buck is still clearly with Onkyo.

You still clearly recommend them. Since you've tested so many, have you had any QC issues with them?

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #34 of 9892 Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franning View Post

Hi new here. Any idea suggestion on what kind of speaker to used with this AV?

Thinking of MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System but it's only 5.1 speaker system. I thougt of adding 2 more but is there a better option?

Thanks all.

Do NOT buy this AVR if you are only going to spend $400 for a 5.1 speaker system. Buy a cheaper AVR, and take the money to buy a better speaker system. Or better yet, if funds are lacking, buy a cheaper AVR and get a kick butt 3.1 system to start with (or even 2.1), and upgrade with time.

IMHO, the bulk of your money should be spent on high quality speakers. Especially the subwoofer and center channel if using for home theater.
post #35 of 9892 Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Cross posted from general thread, but thought it was ok..

My new 818 takes 14 seconds from on to picture and sound coming out with Satellite source selected on shutdown.

A couple of quick observations.

No Audyssey setup tonight, so no comments yet.

Picture quality is excellent. Same as 5009 I had.

Really good with HD DirecTV. Tons of options.

Build quality really good. Heavy and bulky, solid feel. Speaker connectors not great, but it won't effect sound quality.

I can confirm it will stream Apple Lossless over DLNA. I have an iMac using Mobli, and they stream fine. Fastest network and Internet services in any AVR I've had to date.

Also quick menu and remote response... Dare I say fast.

No click... No clicks... No clicks.

One anomaly still exist from older units... I heard one random relay click about 30 minutes after power up... No audible change.. Might be related to running 7.1.

Lock time almost instant.

Has a feature to die for, seen on few AVRs.

You can advance the sound as well as delay it... Huge for satellite...

Obviously has 7 channels of amplification.

But can handle 9 channels using per amp outputs.

However there is a weird design choice they've made..., not sure why, except to up sell more expensive units.

You cannot use an external amp for your mains and the 7 receiver amps for center, height, wides and rear surrounds... You can use the 7 amps but you are forced to use external amplification for the remaining heights, wides or rear surrounds,,, meaning you will need to externally power one pair (either height, wides or rear surrounds) in a 9.1 setup, regardless of if you aren't using the AVR for LR and/or center.

GUI has nice drop shadows...

The volume brings up a 1/8 screen translucent black box on the lower part of the image.... Not terrible, but not just the volume indicator like the Denon... And the volume indicator itself is translucent, so the number can be hard to read on bright backgrounds.. Also it is offset to the right a bit, and the volume bar has a drop shadow that looks weird.

Insta Preview are along bottom (even thought every graphic has them along the right side..). Probably 3-4 frames a second.. Thumbnails really....

More to come..

But first impressions......

A big winner from Onkyo in terms of build, speed, design,etc... Some weird things, but no deal breakers so far.

And I haven't really heard it calibrated yet.
post #36 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

joerod,

I love Onkyo AVR's and I have one in my system right now. However, the company does have a reputation for poor reliability (mine caused me to learn how to solder) which is kinda pushing me towards a Denon for my next upgrade even though the bang-for-the-buck is still clearly with Onkyo.

You still clearly recommend them. Since you've tested so many, have you had any QC issues with them?

Out of all the Onkyos I have tested I had one with a remote sensor issue. Oh and one other with a HDMI problem. That is two out of . Not bad if you think about it.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #37 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Can anyone confirm if you can set the 2nd HDMI out port to "zone 2" so that it works in tandem with speakers that are in a zone 2 location?

Does the OSD work at all in zone 2?
post #38 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Thanks for the review Filmmixer. The 15 second thing kind of bothers me but I guess it's not a huge deal. Will be interesting to see how it sounds after running audyssey. Are you using 2 subs in your setup? That's the main thing I want to know is how the 818 does with 2 subs compared to something with SubEQ HT like the 5009.
post #39 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Out of all the Onkyos I have tested I had one with a remote sensor issue. Oh and one other with a HDMI problem. That is two out of . Not bad if you think about it.

Thanks!

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #40 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can anyone confirm if you can set the 2nd HDMI out port to "zone 2" so that it works in tandem with speakers that are in a zone 2 location?

Does the OSD work at all in zone 2?

It works no differently than other Onkyo products with the Main and Sub HDMI outputs...

So no..

At this point, the new Denon 3313 has a third HDMI output that can independent, which is a first, although it has been announced on other products coming soon..

However, at this point it remains to be seen if it will pass anything other than stereo audio along with the picture sent with it.

OSD only on HDMI Main output...

PS.. the manual can be your friend.
post #41 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I appreciate you answering the question but sadly not what I was hoping to hear. I have an outdoor covered patio location that has two channel audio as well as a flat screen (with HDMI and speaker cabling run to the main family entertainment center). It is an extreme PITA integrating this area, I've just been running the audio as Zone-2 on my Yamaha but that leaves it so that I can't run a source to the TV and have the audio working also.

I will have to delay the 818 purchase until I can decide if this is a deal breaker.
post #42 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

Thanks for the review Filmmixer. The 15 second thing kind of bothers me but I guess it’s not a huge deal. Will be interesting to see how it sounds after running audyssey. Are you using 2 subs in your setup? That’s the main thing I want to know is how the 818 does with 2 subs compared to something with SubEQ HT like the 5009.

The startup time is way faster than my projector, so I wouldn't have noticed it had someone else not mentioned it.. however, I don't see how it could be considered an issue...

We've all gotten very impatient in this instant gratification age....

Louis CK Everythings Amazing and Nobodys Happy

One sub only.... I really think that for most setups like your's, with a fairly co-ordinated location (equal distance to MLP, on same wall, etc) of both subs, SubEQ HT would not make a huge difference over this...
post #43 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I appreciate you answering the question but sadly not what I was hoping to hear. I have an outdoor covered patio location that has two channel audio as well as a flat screen (with HDMI and speaker cabling run to the main family entertainment center). It is an extreme PITA integrating this area, I've just been running the audio as Zone-2 on my Yamaha but that leaves it so that I can't run a source to the TV and have the audio working also.

I will have to delay the 818 purchase until I can decide if this is a deal breaker.

The Integra 70.4 has HDMI out to Zone 2. That should imply the possibility of an Onkyo TX-NR1010, 3010, or 5010 with that capability too.

My 818 is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to start hacking away at the network protocol on it.
post #44 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, 818 is kind of top end for what I want to spend. I believe 4311 has the zone 2 HDMI capability ... unfortunately the 818 has some neat features I like.
post #45 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, 818 is kind of top end for what I want to spend. I believe 4311 has the zone 2 HDMI capability...

It doesn't... The separate HDMI Zone 2 feature is brand new on the market..

Every AVR up until now has been a mirror of the Main output, without audio while the main Zone is on and working..... (the Yamaha let's you use 2 speakers with audio, but you're still locked into the same HDMI source as the main zone....)

As a side more, what are you interested in sending to the second zone... Just wondering if we can find a different type of solution with current products...
post #46 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Even if I had HDMI video plus 2 channel audio that are mirroring the main zone that would be an improvement over what I have now, which is no 2nd HDMI output at all!
post #47 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

The startup time is way faster than my projector, so I wouldn't have noticed it had someone else not mentioned it.. however, I don't see how it could be considered an issue...

We've all gotten very impatient in this instant gratification age....

Louis CK Everythings Amazing and Nobodys Happy

One sub only.... I really think that for most setups like your's, with a fairly co-ordinated location (equal distance to MLP, on same wall, etc) of both subs, SubEQ HT would not make a huge difference over this...

Well it would just take some getting used to for me. I grab my harmony and hit watch TV and everything is pretty much up and running after 3 or 4 seconds. It wouldn't stop me from getting the receiver if that's the only drawback I can find. If I had a projector it wouldn't be a big deal at all. Its probably just one of those little quirks that would annoy me the first few times I turned it on and then I would never really pay that much attention to it.
post #48 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Does the 818 have relay clicks going from 5.1 to 2.0 to 5.1 due to format changes in programing?
post #49 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if I had HDMI video plus 2 channel audio that are mirroring the main zone that would be an improvement over what I have now, which is no 2nd HDMI output at all!

You can do that....

Set HDMI Output to BOTH, and Zone 2 to Source.
post #50 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Done.

post #51 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Done.

Didn't I warn you my wife was going to slap you?
post #52 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Deal. I will post a pic or two when I get in.

Soooooo, I'm to believe there were to be bikini pics posted? =^P

The 818 is still sitting at the top of my list but 2 things are holding me back from it, which may end up not being a big deal.

1. no 12v triggers for zone 1. Yes there is a workaround, but not a very easy one with my harmony remote that I have discovered yet. As in, I haven't found a way to program a zone 2 button into the remote. There has got to be a way, but I just haven't discovered it yet.

2. No subeqht (or whatever it's called). Again, might not be a big deal because I'm not sure when I'll be getting a second sub, but I want the option to be able to place the sub wherever I want and not have to worry about trying to set it up myself (if/when I get it). I'm more of a plug and play type of fellow and I do minimal tweaking, so I don't know if I would want to take the time to mess with trying to get a second sub to blend with the system myself since I won't be able to set it in an equidistant spot from the LP.

Somebody sell me on why I should ignore these 2 things. =^P

Turn it up!
post #53 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

2. No subeqht (or whatever it's called). Again, might not be a big deal because I'm not sure when I'll be getting a second sub, but I want the option to be able to place the sub wherever I want and not have to worry about trying to set it up myself (if/when I get it). I'm more of a plug and play type of fellow and I do minimal tweaking, so I don't know if I would want to take the time to mess with trying to get a second sub to blend with the system myself since I won't be able to set it in an equidistant spot from the LP.

Somebody sell me on why I should ignore these 2 things. =^P

Can't help with number one... there are many iOS and Android apps that have Zone 2 control.. If you have one of those devices, that may be a solution.

In regards to subs... if you decide to add another sub, it's really not wise just to plug it in and think an automated EQ system is going to solve placement issues..

It can actually cause more issues if you don't have an optimal place to put it in relation to your other sub.. while SubHT eq will certainly help, it's not really that difficult to setup and SPL two subs as a starting point... and SubHT EQ can't do miracles, and will most certainly be more beneficial with proper placement of either one or two subs...

I'm not trying to be wholly dismissive of the lack of concern for no SubHT EQ... but with my limited exposure to the 818, I think you're going to have to spend a bit more more to find it's performance and functional equal at this point..

For me, if you're looking to stay at this price point, you're not going to find SubHT EQ anyways.... if that's a deal breaker for some, the new x010 (or whatever they call it) or the top tier Denon's are where you're going to have to look...
post #54 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Does the 818 have relay clicks going from 5.1 to 2.0 to 5.1 due to format changes in programing?

yes

the remote is giving me some issues as well
post #55 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooduck View Post

yes

I need to see how mine behaves as a 7.1 setup with changes in 2 channel to 5.1/7.1...

However, the 818 (like the x009 series before, but not Onkyo's earlier than that) does not suffer the incessant relay clicks when it looses input, for example when fast forwarding a DVR, BR player, etc... it stays locked on the current source type input, etc..

Can you be more specific about the remote?

As a note, if you push a source button, it usually changes the remote layout to control said device, and you must push RECEIVER again to control the Onkyo menu's etc...
post #56 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Can't help with number one... there are many iOS and Android apps that have Zone 2 control.. If you have one of those devices, that may be a solution.

In regards to subs... if you decide to add another sub, it's really not wise just to plug it in and think an automated EQ system is going to solve placement issues..

It can actually cause more issues if you don't have an optimal place to put it in relation to your other sub.. while SubHT eq will certainly help, it's not really that difficult to setup and SPL two subs as a starting point... and SubHT EQ can't do miracles, and will most certainly be more beneficial with proper placement of either one or two subs...

I'm not trying to be wholly dismissive of the lack of concern for no SubHT EQ... but with my limited exposure to the 818, I think you're going to have to spend a bit more more to find it's performance and functional equal at this point..

For me, if you're looking to stay at this price point, you're not going to find SubHT EQ anyways.... if that's a deal breaker for some, the new x010 (or whatever they call it) or the top tier Denon's are where you're going to have to look...

^^^The 2nd sub wouldn't be in any sort of crazy position, it would just be on the other side of the room. I don't think I would have any big issues, but still I don't want to waste my money on a second sub and have it sound like crap. I've also been looking at the Denon 4311. From what I've read, if you shop around you can get one of those for not too much more than the 818 right now. The pic I've attached shows the front of my room. It's not the best pic but you'll get the idea. If I get another sub, it's going to go down in the corner to the right where the cat scratching posts are sitting. It might not be bad either way since we kind of utilize the whole couch so I guess the subs don't need to be exactly the same distance from the main LP, but I would think it would still be helpful if the AVR could do the distances and EQ them both separately...
LL

Turn it up!
post #57 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes ( about the relay clicking)

To bad, I was hoping onkyo would fix this by now..
I know the 5.1 to 2.0 to 5.1 clicking is not a problem or bug, just annoying at times....
post #58 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:

I need to see how mine behaves as a 7.1 setup with changes in 2 channel to 5.1/7.1...

However, the 818 (like the x009 series before, but not Onkyo's earlier than that) does not suffer the incessant relay clicks when it looses input, for example when fast forwarding a DVR, BR player, etc... it stays locked on the current source type input, etc..

Can you be more specific about the remote?

I made sure it was controlling the reciever

As a note, if you push a source button, it usually changes the remote layout to control said device, and you must push RECEIVER again to control the Onkyo menu's etc...

It seems as though the reciever is not receiving the signal from the remote...I have a Logitech repeater and the light flashes on the top when it's transferring the signal to the reciever. Used the remote in a direct line of sight to the reciever as well. I factory reset the remote and it seemed to work then it went back to not working. Reset again and it worked again. Had to retire for the night lol. I'll post back if it continues
post #59 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It seems as though the reciever is not receiving the signal from the remote...I have a Logitech repeater and the light flashes on the top when it's transferring the signal to the reciever. Used the remote in a direct line of sight to the reciever as well. I factory reset the remote and it seemed to work then it went back to not working. Reset again and it worked again. Had to retire for the night lol. I'll post back if it continues

Turn off your TV, see if that makes any differance..
post #60 of 9892 Old 05-31-2012, 10:03 PM

One model in particular, the TP-Link TL-WN722N, has been used as a substitute with success and is cheaper than the Onkyo dongle.

Connecting People.Powering the would.
buy zippo
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page