Originally Posted by miicho
Can someone explain to me why this receiver is not 4k pass through capable when it can upscale to 4k? that's the only thing holding me back to get it, also would the Pioneer andrew jones speakers play nice with it?
Interesting question. I really don't think anyone has authoritatively stated the 818 will not pass through 4k content. I haven't done an exhaustive search, however, so if someone can provide a link that states otherwise... I'd like to see it.
Here are some facts I've dug up or know...
1) HDMI 1.4 only supports 4k content at 24 fps
2) HDMI 1.4 supports a TMDS rate of 340 MHz
3) So 4k 24 fps content fits within a TMDS rate of 340 MHz
What's interesting is that the 818 reports a much higher TMDS clock when no output device is connected.
4) Onkyo TX-NR818 reports the TDMS clock of 700 MHz
What does this mean given HDMI 1.4 max is 340 MHz? Perhaps it truly does mean that, if an HDMI cable were to have > 24 fps 4k content the 818 would handle it.
5) Given the 818 indicates such a high TDMS rate as input, one might suspect it can passthrough 340 MHz 4k 24fps content
Nothing conclusive above, just some info that makes me think it may be possible. Too bad very few people have the ability to source 4k content as well as display it!
(BTW, the 818 reduces the advertised TMDS rate when you connect a display. It may be using the value the display supports)
edit: fixed small typed